The Over-reaction Thread

468 posts
Betty's Biscuit

by Betty's Biscuit » 25 Aug 2007 22:32

I was there today, and I have no problem with the result. Steve Coppell will have enough wisdom to see that there were also some positives today. Golbourne seized his chance and played out of his skin. On the strength of his performance today, he really deserves to be given more opportunities to prove himself as a Premier League player. De la Cruz played really well. He even tried to do a Shorey and end up in attack-support positions. Fae was OK but not impressive. Bikey: if that's how you play after nipping over to Japan and back, then watchout Sonks! You could not doubt his effort today. Bless him, Bobby got on as a sub and tried, but he's not firing on all cylinders yet.

I guess it seemed odd that Lita did not get out sooner. Given our defense was a bit Dad's Army, maybe attack would have been a way of defending. Whatever; without Shorey & murty, we new we had a leaking boat. It's just a shame we lack the fire power to counter the inevitable leakage.

We have the best manager, and we have the spirit to get back on track. West Ham might not get a 6 nil drubbing on Saturday, but they'd be wrong to think the Royals have run out of gas.

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 25 Aug 2007 22:43

Platypuss Never, but it least having seen teh performance might give those opinions some credibility.

Ha! Since when did Royal Rother have any credibility on this board?

sachalois

by sachalois » 25 Aug 2007 22:45

Alan Partridge
Royal Rother
Alan Partridge Can totally understand Coppell's policy, these players were superb last season but the team we had out today is NOT good enough for a Premiership side.

That team's first outing, many of whom will have been knackered after 5 games in 2 weeks including international join-ups in some cases, with 2 players making their debut, yep that sounds like an over-reaction alright!

Looking at that 16 names, it's not good enough for a Premiership team. The result says it all.

Not that angry, disappointed for everyone that went, giving up their day and lots of money for absolutely bugger all return. All well and good Steve criticisng the international games but everyone else has the same problem!! they just have the quality in the squad to cover it!!

No your wrong - not everybody else had the same problem - apart from Birmingham we were the only other club to have three games in six days and had 9 of the eleven playing today away on international duty and had played Manchester United , Chelsea, and Everton - and played a team away from home that finished seventh last year - Just because they were bottom of the table does not make them a poor side - take a look at who is in 19th!!!!!!

I did go today and yes it was disapointing but there were some positive performances - Scott Goldbourne was very good and Fae was very impressive for his first match with a team that were exhausted. We were by far the dominant side to begin with but the first goal took the wind out of us and we did not have the energy to fight back - the long ball was saving the legs.

These players are human beings not machines and never once looked like they could not be bothered - have a look on the website for Steve Coppell's take on it.

Off to watch Match of the Day!!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Aug 2007 22:45

'lista
Platypuss Never, but it least having seen teh performance might give those opinions some credibility.

Ha! Since when did Royal Rother have any credibility on this board?
since when was the spelt as teh?

love
FaceBruiser

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Aug 2007 22:55

Betty's Biscuit Golbourne seized his chance and played out of his skin. On the strength of his performance today, he really deserves to be given more opportunities to prove himself as a Premier League player.

Can't agree with that. Thought he looked competent at times and downright uncomfortable at other points. He was up against the best player on the pitch in Diouf but then perhaps he made Diouf look like the best player on the pitch? I have seen Golbourne play in reserve matches and he never looks particularly outstanding to me. I have a good friend who is a Wycombe fan; they rated him but their fans tend to think he is perhaps more suited to playing at their level than ours. I'd be in a hurry to get him out on loan during the next week again, maybe to a Championship or League 1 team this time. Except we can't can we because our thin-ish squad doesn't have too many left back options :? :(

Betty's Biscuit Bikey: if that's how you play after nipping over to Japan and back, then watchout Sonks!

Smashing first half, had Anelka in his pocket. Second half was a complete turnaround though because I thought Bikey was sloppy and downright eccentric at times. I look forward ( :? ) to seeing the second goal on MOTD later. As a generous man I shall put his second 45 performance down to tiredness and look forward to the usual high standards for 90 minutes next week. I am not going overboard about him today though.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 25 Aug 2007 23:02

Stand corrected, Long did have a shot today!!! carry on. 8)

g

by g » 25 Aug 2007 23:11

Alan Partridge Stand corrected, Long did have a shot today!!! carry on. 8)

I thought it was a backpass?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 25 Aug 2007 23:14

g

Forced a save, a comfortable save but a save nonetheless.

But the proper point about midfield creativity stands.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 25 Aug 2007 23:19

Alan Partridge
g

Forced a save, a comfortable save but a save nonetheless.

But the proper point about midfield creativity stands.

Only shot on target by us. What worries me is the lack of chances, last season was the same, but we scored from them, lets hope we start to do the same this season soon, against West Ham would do

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Aug 2007 23:21

yes Gunnarssons lack of goals, "thus far" concerns me

Once we have our choice of 4 strikers (next week hopefully) we will see the goals again

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 25 Aug 2007 23:28

AthleticoSpizz yes Gunnarssons lack of goals, "thus far" concerns me

Once we have our choice of 4 strikers (next week hopefully) we will see the goals again

While i'm sure you are being sarcastic, it's not Boris or Harpers lack of goals thus far that concerns me or should concern anyone. (if they play the majority of the games they should get at least 5 each) but the fact they don't create anything!!!!! can't rely on one form of attack, and the occasional bit of quality through the middle wouldn't go a miss!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Aug 2007 23:38

Alan Partridge
AthleticoSpizz yes Gunnarssons lack of goals, "thus far" concerns me

While i'm sure you are being sarcastic, it's not Boris or Harpers lack of goals thus far that concerns me or should concern anyone. (if they play the majority of the games they should get at least 5 each) but the fact they don't create anything!!!!! can't rely on one form of attack, and the occasional bit of quality through the middle wouldn't go a miss!!
you are right..I was

However, it is a shame

"you are right" regarding the rest of your post

I don't miss Sidwell

but we are on the "bones of our arse" when it comes to options at the moment...and that's how I like it

Let's watch

reading98

by reading98 » 25 Aug 2007 23:43

I was there today when I saw the team I was like we have to score first otherwise we would struggle and thats how it planned out.

I still think we will be fine with are home form but we do lack quality in depth we needed a good old fashioned winger today who would put a decent in swinging cross away from the keeper. I dont know how long little will be out but even if he comes back will he play 20 odd games or will it be 5 then another injury?

Seol to inconsistant!!!!
we need a right winger.
But I still think we will be fine it was bad time to play Bolton at there place with are weak back four.

come on URZ!!!!!! :)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Aug 2007 23:45

reading98 I was there today when I saw the team I was like we have to score first otherwise we would struggle and thats how it planned out.

I still think we will be fine with are home form but we do lack quality in depth we needed a good old fashioned winger today who would put a decent pull swinging away from the keeper. I dont know how long little will be out but even if he comes back will he play 20 odd games or will it be 5 then another injury?

Seol to inconsistant!!!!
we need a right winger.
But I still think we will be fine it was bad time to play Bolton at there place with are weak back four.

did he let us down again today?

I wasn't there by the way Ian

reading98

by reading98 » 25 Aug 2007 23:47

No he is injured was just talking in general :)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Aug 2007 23:49

reading98 No he is injured was just talking in general :)
he did a good job then, considering

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 25 Aug 2007 23:55

Daniella
The whole year inn
Daniella Agree with RL. Its all well and good keeping existing players happy and keeping the foundation, so why is it they want to leave anyway? Sidwell gone and shorey and lita are weighing up their options...basically waiting for a better offer...what do we do about that when the existing foundations want to leave? Its not a case of sticking with what we've got if they are off is it? We are going to need to replace them with existing quality players..something you don't find cheap and have to pay for.

LOL @ you betting week in week out on the team Reading play :lol:

SimpLOLeton Alert

Where did I bet against us in regards to the team we play?

If anyone is simple its you, you're talking about something completely different. :lol:

Simply recalling a thread where you commented on betting against Reading.

As your new username has a finite life I will let you off

International Royal

by International Royal » 26 Aug 2007 01:37

A few things that naff me off on this thread. The biggest is how players become better when they're not playing. SC's comments show how upset he was and he doesn't normally use excuses. Luckily there are no lack of effort, not fit to wear the shirts comments, the players gave what they had.

We are a team (at the moment) that relies more on perspiration than inspiration and today they were shagged. That's particularly the case when our combinations are missing, no the Little & Murts thing, no the Shorey and Convey thing etc, etc. Look at the team sheet, that was pretty weak for a variety of reasons.

What worries me most is that I felt for the first time in a long time that there was no way back. Normally I believe that if we're 2 down with 5 minutes left we'll get something. I am sure that normal service will be resumed next week, injuries better, a weeks rest, 4 fit strikers etc.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Aug 2007 02:25

AthleticoSpizz
reading98 I was there today when I saw the team I was like we have to score first otherwise we would struggle and thats how it planned out.

I still think we will be fine with are home form but we do lack quality in depth we needed a good old fashioned winger today who would put a decent pull swinging away from the keeper. I dont know how long little will be out but even if he comes back will he play 20 odd games or will it be 5 then another injury?

Seol to inconsistant!!!!
we need a right winger.

did he let us down again today?

I wasn't there by the way Ian

Did you call?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 26 Aug 2007 05:18

Ian Royal
Royal Lady
Ian Royal
Royal Lady That is all well and good and to be admired, but what happens if Murts retires at the end of the season, Seol leaves, Lita and Shorey leave at the end of their contracts, Ingi retires in a couple of years.... how do we entice other players of Premiership quality to the club?

Are you asking what do we do if someone who rarely pulls their weight leaves and someone who spends an increasingly large amount of time injured retires, and 3 people leave in 2 years time?

Wow, what a worst case scenario that one is.
No. I'm asking how you can build brick on brick when in all eventuality, we could end up losing a lot of players in one go, either at the end of the season or within the next two years. Please don't patronise me.

How will we replace them? Much the same as we did Sidwell I imagine.

Some would say we actually haven't replaced Sidwell yet. Anyone still think Gunnar is better than Sids? :?

468 posts