Coppell lost us that one ...

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Sep 2007 15:32

chalks
SpaceCruiser
Denver Royal Shorey wanted out

How did you work that one out? I've not seen him state this publicly other than his comments on his contract negotiations and he didn't even say much.

Shorey is very very unhappy with the powers that be at Reading as far as im aware. Not that he'll do a Defoe or Ince and show his displeasure on the filed of course.

What would a Wet Shammer know about this? Or is this the same bullshit Melbguy was peddling? :roll:

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Sep 2007 15:34

Denver Royal
SpaceCruiser

How did you work that one out? I've not seen him state this publicly other than his comments on his contract negotiations and he didn't even say much.

Sidwell never stated publically that he wanted to leave, either. Few players ever actually do.

Doesn't mean that Shorey would be the same. You just can't make assumptions like that.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 03 Sep 2007 15:35

Get over it... Its a Long season plenty of chance for Reading to pick up form ... Its a Marathon not a sprint

just gotta make sure we dont lose to SunderLOLand and wigwam

chalks

by chalks » 03 Sep 2007 15:36

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
chalks
Hoop Blah
chalks
Don Finch Two games time.
BTW. I was only jostling.
Coppell's got a job for life as far as I'm concerned (disclaimer: unless we turn really really sh1t)

Actually I think there a similarity there. Did any of Pards signings actually make your 1st team that season? Stand still in this league and you get punished.

We were crying out for a right back to replace Scaloni, we signed Paintsil, a gamble that didnt pay off. Bowyer on a free from Newcastle (he's only now starting to earn his wages). Rob Green was the only impressive signing that was made, although even he didnt become a regular until Feb.

And before anyone says Tevez and Masch, they were not Pardews signings, they were a sweetener in a buy out offer.

We stood still last Summer and came within a whisker of paying for it.

chalks

by chalks » 03 Sep 2007 15:41

SpaceCruiser
chalks
SpaceCruiser

Shorey is very very unhappy with the powers that be at Reading as far as im aware. Not that he'll do a Defoe or Ince and show his displeasure on the filed of course.

What would a Wet Shammer know about this? Or is this the same bullshit Melbguy was peddling? :roll:

Take it as bullshit if you want, but im afraid its not.

Regardless of whatever spin or media stories you read, your club accepted a 6.2m bid for Shorey the Friday before last, and informed both West Ham and your player that the transfer would go ahead as soon as you signed a replacement.

For whatever reason you didnt, and you now have a very very unhappy player on your books, who will be leaving in the next transfer window.

I'll put my tin hat on, because im sure the schoolkids are going to come out on the attack

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Sep 2007 15:42

chalks We were crying out for a right back to replace Scaloni, we signed Paintsil, a gamble that didnt pay off. Bowyer on a free from Newcastle (he's only now starting to earn his wages). Rob Green was the only impressive signing that was made, although even he didnt become a regular until Feb.

And before anyone says Tevez and Masch, they were not Pardews signings, they were a sweetener in a buy out offer.

He bought in plenty of players though. They weren't all squad signings but the fact that your squad imploded probably makes them seem that way now!

chalks

by chalks » 03 Sep 2007 15:49

Hoop Blah
chalks We were crying out for a right back to replace Scaloni, we signed Paintsil, a gamble that didnt pay off. Bowyer on a free from Newcastle (he's only now starting to earn his wages). Rob Green was the only impressive signing that was made, although even he didnt become a regular until Feb.

He bought in plenty of players though. They weren't all squad signings but the fact that your squad imploded probably makes them seem that way now!

True i suppose.

Have to say, last year was bleedin awful being a Hammer im just glad we're rid of the likes of Reo Coker, Carroll, Sheringham and Konchesky.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 03 Sep 2007 15:56

So why did they then make a £4 million bid?

:?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Sep 2007 15:56

chalks
SpaceCruiser
chalks
SpaceCruiser

Regardless of whatever spin or media stories you read, your club accepted a 6.2m bid for Shorey the Friday before last, and informed both West Ham and your player that the transfer would go ahead as soon as you signed a replacement.

For whatever reason you didnt, and you now have a very very unhappy player on your books, who will be leaving in the next transfer window.

I'll put my tin hat on, because im sure the schoolkids are going to come out on the attack

Completely utterly ridiculous. There was only one bid and it was a derisory £4m. The £6.2m bid you claim is a fairy tale.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Sep 2007 15:57

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Dirk Gently And (as has been stated many, many times) it's not just a question of finding players we want - it's a question of players being prepared to come here at wages we're prepared to pay.

So it's back to the essential question - do we risk everything on players' contracts which would cripple us if the risk doesn't pay off?

Personally, I'm happy for us not to try and compete in the wages "arms race" - we'll never be able to compete with the likes of Everton, Newcastle, Villa, West Ham, Boro, Spurs, even Sunderland - let alone the big 4.

We're in competition to stay above the likes of Derby, Birmingham, Wigan, Fulham, Bolton - try and compete higher and we could literally die in the attempt.

Of course not. We still should have strengthened the team and that's got nothing to do with crippling us. £60m in tv revenue alone, more than pays form 1 or 2 more players, with more than enough left over for a rainy day.

As for Coppell and Hammonds hands being restricted by money. While there's no doubt we are pretty tight with money Coppell has said numerous times we could bring players in if he wanted them, he obviously didn't think the squad needed strengthening, As people have said before he wouldn't have signed for two years if he was unhappy with the money he was being provided with and Hammond would be at Arsenal right now too.

There's not a manager in the history of football that didn't want a couple of players to improve his squad. One of the reasons Coppell has such a good relationship with JM is because he is equally as prudent and equally doesn't want to spend over the odds on players. Therefore if someone did come along that Coppell thought was worth the money then ive no doubt JM would stump up the money. It's wages that will prove to be the stumbling block as far as JM is concerned and its wages that will narrow down an awful lot of the market for Coppell..

Up until now we've done well to keep hold of players that have been crucial to our development over the last 5 or 6 seasons. We've been able to build a togetherness and team ethic by this method without spending excess money on individuals. Sidwell's departure and the speculation concerning Shorey and to a lesser extent Lita means that those elements that were our strength are going to be severely tested.

In my opinion keeping hold of Shorey during this window was more important that bringing in any of the numerous names that have been bandied around on these boards. To have lost another vital cog in our success so soon after Sidwell would really have sent a negative message out to players, fans ( although most seem to take that view anyway) and opposition alike.

If we're not going to compete on the financial level of the majority of this league then we need to continue to concentrate on the things we do well. Of course we will lose out on potential signings and inevitably individual players will leave us but if we can keep this to minimum of 1 a season ( and make sure they leave on our terms ) then thats the best we can hope for.

As depressing as it sounds to most fans, every season we spend in the top division, mixing with the big boys but doing it on our terms should be viewed as a success, not as a reason for the wrist slashing that is going on at the moment.

chalks

by chalks » 03 Sep 2007 16:00

papereyes So why did they then make a £4 million bid?

we didnt make a bid of 4 million. That statement was spin.

In January, when he leaves you for 6.2m, pm me and apologise young man.

chalks

by chalks » 03 Sep 2007 16:00

SpaceCruiser
chalks
SpaceCruiser
chalks
SpaceCruiser

Completely utterly ridiculous. There was only one bid and it was a derisory £4m. The £6.2m bid you claim is a fairy tale.

See above.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Sep 2007 16:01

chalks

I'd be intrigued to know how you know that the £4m wasn't the true bid and the £6.2m the spin?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Sep 2007 16:02

chalks

What the hell is that gonna prove?

chalks

by chalks » 03 Sep 2007 16:05

Stranded
chalks

I'd be intrigued to know how you know that the £4m wasn't the true bid and the £6.2m the spin?

someone close to the player on the day after the bid told me, which was over a week before we supposedly bid 4m. As i said, ive no idea why the 4m bid was reported, what i do know for absolute fact is that you have a seriously unhappy player on your books.

A professional one though.

chalks

by chalks » 03 Sep 2007 16:07

Vision
chalks

Thats. The. Bid. You. Accepted.

And when you finally buy your replacement, thats what we'll pay for the player, if we still have the same manager in place.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Sep 2007 16:10

chalks
Vision
chalks

And when you finally buy your replacement, thats what we'll pay for the player, if we still have the same manager in place.

It proves nothing of the sort. All it will suggest is that 6.2m would be enough for us to part with him. Everything else is just the same speculation and heresay that you lot have been drumming up for the last few weeks.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 03 Sep 2007 16:10

chalks

Why? What's that going to prove?

Is there any proof that a bid of that amount was made, as, quite literally, nothing has hit this portal other than a few WH fans claiming to be ITK.

I don't doubt bids were made, but so much of the ITK doesn't add up, you can't blame a man for being cynical.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Sep 2007 16:12

chalks
Stranded
chalks

someone close to the player on the day after the bid told me, which was over a week before we supposedly bid 4m. As i said, ive no idea why the 4m bid was reported, what i do know for absolute fact is that you have a seriously unhappy player on your books.

A professional one though.

West ham offered 85 million for shorey the other day, i was told by my mate, who knows shoreys mum, and all of west ham personally, that
reading accepted the offer, but shorey refused down to not liking the colour of your kit, and thought 85 million was a little below his own valuation of himself.
coppell said shorey is made entirely of custard, and curbishley was quoted as saying we didnt want him anyway.
the whole affair has caused problems in the dressing room with most of our players asking why they arent worth 85 million
apparently after a post match players meeting it was decided they would all go on strike unless coppell breaks football rules and purchases ronaldhino between transfer windows.

I know all of this for 110% absolute total FACT.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 03 Sep 2007 16:12

Vision
chalks
Vision
chalks

It proves nothing of the sort. All it will suggest is that 6.2m would be enough for us to part with him. Everything else is just the same speculation and heresay that you lot have been drumming up for the last few weeks.

Yup. Exactly.

I also wonder why we haven't got a single ITK poster claiming anything.

Ultimately, it boils down to "Why did we say a derisory £ 4 million bid was made, if a not derisory £6.25 million bid had already been accepted" ?