Ian Porterfield - RIP

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 11 Sep 2007 23:37

My sympathies to Ian's family and friends. RIP.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Sep 2007 23:50

Its a funny old game. Sat behind the dugout in his first home game in touch - remember thinking that this was the man we needed as he was a real shouter / get at em type approach - and look where that got him compared to what we have now - and the success it brings.

He was a big name at the time - but sadly bombed at Reading.

As always fate plays its part as Sunderland play Reading at the weekend.

Rest in Peace Ian.

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 12 Sep 2007 00:23

Hate to say the obvious, but it will be an emotional game on saturday with both teams being influenced by Ian Porterfield. Lets hope the game will be a great one for him.

RIP

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 12 Sep 2007 00:39

RIP

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 12 Sep 2007 03:00

handbags_harris
Oi Oi Saveloy Crap manager, but sad news.

Said so in an MSN convo with other nobbers, but turns out he actually had a good managerial career with marked success. Rotherham & Sheff Utd promoted, and relative success with lesser known international nations. Most recently, a 1-1 draw in charge of Armenia against Portugal on August 22. May have been bombed out of Reading, but not a bad manager at all to be fair. There are a lot worse out there.

Minutes silence/applause on Saturday guaranteed. Just hope Sunderland mention the RFC connection as well.

RIP Ian Porterfield.

Indeed.

Very sad news. RIP.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 12 Sep 2007 04:36

size 12 I believe he signed Jamie Cureton for the Korean side that he managed, although I stand to be corrected on this.

Yes he did when he was in charge of Busan Icons.

Very sad news. I suppose it's nice to be playing Sunderland this weekend as opposed to a team that had no links to him. R.I.P.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 12 Sep 2007 07:21

Very sad news.

While not Readings greatest period the 18 months or so he had in charge were definitely a mixture.

An indifferent start followed by a reasonable looking start to a season where we looked like we might be good enough involved in the play offs and then a total disaster where it all fell apart for him and we looked like we'd never beat anyone ever again.

Appointed on 14th November 1989, his first game in charge was a 1-1 draw at Bristol Rovers on 17th November in the FA Cup First Round (the team was Francis, Jones, Gilkes, Hicks, Wood, Beavon, Knight, Tait, Senior, Conroy, Payne Sub: Whitlock - Conroy scored).

What followed was an amazing series of FA Cup games which saw us finally dump eventual Div 3 champions Bristol Rovers out after 3 games then spend 4 games struggling to show any superiority over Welling in the 2nd round then culminate in two great encounters with the NE giants Sunderland and Newcastle.

The league form generally was one of never looking likely of being involved in anything although we did manage to claim 10th place which wasn't too bad and a definite improvement on the almost relegated outfit we had seen the previous year.

Season 1990/1991 started brightly but after the slump of the property market and the subsequent financial problems for Roger Smee it all started to go wrong and Ian found his hands tied in terms of being able to amend the squad as he would of liked.

As the season tailed away to a succession disappointing results our play off hopes quickly disappeared and it came as no real surprise when Ian was dismissed on 1st March 1991 - his last game being a 1-0 home defeat to Bolton on 23rd February (for the record the side then was; Francis, Jones, Morrow, McPherson, Hicks, Bailey, Gooding, Lovell, Senior, Taylor, Moran Sub: Friel).

Perhaps things would have been different had it not been for the off the field issues surrounding the club during the season perhaps they wouldn't but his short time at the club brought us two magnificent servants and players in Mick Gooding and Keith McPherson and in doing so laid two solid stones on which to build the future of the club.

Thanks for the memories Ian.

Fulham Royal

by Fulham Royal » 12 Sep 2007 07:52

As a Reading fan was dissappointed when he left for Chelsea.
As a football fan was privilaged that a cup final hero would grace our club.

RIP Ian

You played your part in our clubs history.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 12 Sep 2007 07:55

I recall that when Porterfield arrived we were in mid-table. And when he left we were in mid-table.

Given the state the club was in at the time, I see that as a success.

RIP

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Sep 2007 08:21

Whistle

He was a bloody good manager at Roth, Sheff U, Dons. Reading was a bit of a low point for him but the team didn't half improve tactically when he replaced Branfoot. He had no money - all gone on Maskell - and clearly didn't hit it off with JM when JM came in - huge salary and no driving licence. Hell of an accent too, made Steven Hunt sound like Steven Fry!

RIP

IIRC a certain Welsh Windbag pulled the trigger on him. I also believe that at the time said windbag made a big thing about Porterfield having been done for drink driving, which I felt was very much a case of pots and kettles.

Can't remember a lot else about Porterfield's time with us now - good or bad- but didn't Eddie (not even going to try to spell his surname), ex-Chelsea keeper and Porterfield's #2, take over on a caretaker basis? IIRC his reign ended with the last game of the season where passions ran a bit high and an on the pitch and pitch side mass brawl led to Eddie being sent to the stands.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 12 Sep 2007 08:28

Jerry St Clair I recall that when Porterfield arrived we were in mid-table. And when he left we were in mid-table.

Given the state the club was in at the time, I see that as a success.

RIP

Too true. He actually tried to get us playing proper football as well. Unfortunately we didn't have too many proper footballers at the time.

Also hampered by the fact that it always seemed as though certain factions in and around the club were constantly undermining him.

RIP.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 12 Sep 2007 08:36

RoyalBlue Can't remember a lot else about Porterfield's time with us now - good or bad- but didn't Eddie (not even going to try to spell his surname), ex-Chelsea keeper and Porterfield's #2, take over on a caretaker basis? IIRC his reign ended with the last game of the season where passions ran a bit high and an on the pitch and pitch side mass brawl led to Eddie being sent to the stands.

Eddie "Eddie, Eddie, Eddie" Niedzwicki

A lunatic of Martin Allen proportions.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 12 Sep 2007 08:42

R.I.P. Mr Ian Porterfield..........

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 12 Sep 2007 08:48

Sad news... He was a good manager sadly he never really reached the success that his potential deserved

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 12 Sep 2007 08:50

handbags_harris

Said so in an MSN convo with other nobbers, but turns out he actually had a good managerial career with marked success. Rotherham & Sheff Utd promoted, and relative success with lesser known international nations. Most recently, a 1-1 draw in charge of Armenia against Portugal on August 22. May have been bombed out of Reading, but not a bad manager at all to be fair. There are a lot worse out there.

Minutes silence/applause on Saturday guaranteed. Just hope Sunderland mention the RFC connection as well.

RIP Ian Porterfield.

Yes, a very good assessment and very sad news as 61 is no age really these days. Although some years back, I do recall that his appointment as Reading Manager at the time caused quite a lot of excitement in the local press and amongst the die hard Elm Park faithful if only because of his cup final exploits. If I recall always had a smile on his face as a player and Manager.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 12 Sep 2007 09:50

From the OS, note book of condolence now on the Sunderland site - see link at bottom.

Club saddened by Porterfield death

The Club was very saddened to hear of the passing of our former player and manager Ian Porterfield.

The 61-year-old lost his battle with cancer.

Born in Dunfermline, Porterfield managed the Royals between 1991 and 1993. He also played five games for us on loan in 1976.

He enjoyed legendary status as a player with Sunderland, for whom he scored the winning goal in the 1973 FA Cup Final.

He also enjoyed success as a boss with Rotherham, Sheffield United, Aberdeen and Chelsea.

He also managed a number of international teams, including Trinidad & Tobago, where he looked after Shaka Hislop and Anthony Rougier among others.

He signed our former player Jamie Cureton when in charge of Korean side Busan Icons.

He was most recently in charge of Armenia, earning a superb 1-1 draw against Portugal in August.

His Glenda said, "He may have been a football man all his life, but I know him best as a wonderful human being who was liked by everyone he came in contact with.

"He had his wish to die in harness. Just over two weeks ago, we flew to Armenia for the Portugal game and I'll always remember what happened at the open training session at the stadium on the day before the game.

"The stadium was packed to see all the Portuguese stars like Ronaldo, Deco and the rest, but when Ian walked out, they all stood up and shouted his name. It was very moving."

Sunderland have opened an online book of condolence which can be signed

Sunderland book of condolence

Gandalf Presley

by Gandalf Presley » 12 Sep 2007 09:52

The likes of Lovell, Scott Taylor and Adie Williams all became regulars under his tenure. Then again, he was responsible for bringing in the likes of Danny Bailey...

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 12 Sep 2007 10:01

Danny Bailey was quality. What you talking about?

Gandalf Presley

by Gandalf Presley » 12 Sep 2007 10:17

Danny Bailey must have one of the best pass completion rates of any Reading player cver, it's just a shame that he lacked the ability to play it forward. His best game (like Mass Sarr & Tony Rougier) was his first - against Grimsby on Boxing Day IIRC.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 12 Sep 2007 10:26

Barry the bird boggler Appointed on 14th November 1989, his first game in charge was a 1-1 draw at Bristol Rovers on 17th November in the FA Cup First Round (the team was Francis, Jones, Gilkes, Hicks, Wood, Beavon, Knight, Tait, Senior, Conroy, Payne Sub: Whitlock - Conroy scored).

I was there. Exciting times. I remember after the game that my mate pardsme was being hassled by some Bristol skinhead outside the exit gate.

Fulham Royal As a Reading fan was dissappointed when he left for Chelsea.

He didn't "leave for Chelsea". He was sacked!!! I think the reason for his sacking was that Mr Madejski had just come in, didn't get on well with Porterfield and decided he wanted his own manager. Step up Mark McGhoo.