A bit worrying

1418 posts
southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 27 Sep 2007 10:27

M Brook According to Andy West on BBCRB yesterday morning, around 10,000 ST holders did not attend Tuesday's match. Nevertheless, the ground was nearly full. Surely that shows the latent demand for tickets among the casual fan who would want to attend on a casual basis if they could get tickets fairly easily.

Not really, as it's widely accepted that there were loads of Liverpool fans in the home end that would be unlikley to attend on a regular basis just to see Reading.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 27 Sep 2007 10:30

There were also lots of new fans who weren't liverpool fans.

Plus just becasue someone's first allegiance is to one club it doesn;t mean they won;t come and watch another. I would suggest a largish % of our fan base at one time had another Premier League club as their first club. Most of the Liverpool fans in the home areas would have been local, and may well com eback to watch us against other teams. I know that I brought 3 Liverpool fans to the game who all enjoyed it and want to come back (pencilled in the Arsenal game for that !)

FinchOwl

by FinchOwl » 27 Sep 2007 10:34

southbank1871
M Brook According to Andy West on BBCRB yesterday morning, around 10,000 ST holders did not attend Tuesday's match. Nevertheless, the ground was nearly full. Surely that shows the latent demand for tickets among the casual fan who would want to attend on a casual basis if they could get tickets fairly easily.

Not really, as it's widely accepted that there were loads of Liverpool fans in the home end that would be unlikley to attend on a regular basis just to see Reading.

Liverpool got given an extra 2,000 or so on top of what they would have got for a league game, so that still leaves with 8,000 STH seats to sell, regardless of who bought those seats it shows that we can sell an extra 6,000 seats for the big games, which shows that an extension to 30k is a good idea. We have to accept that people will always come to 'see' liverpool or manure or chelski when we play sides like that. And the club will happily take their money, which ultimately is what this all boils down to for them, an oppurtunity to increase gate reciepts, thus make the club more profitible and in theory spend the money on improvong the team

Skyline

by Skyline » 27 Sep 2007 11:11

Dirk Gently What hasn't been mentioned (I don't think) is the latent demand for people who go to matches anyway to be able to introduce extra people to matches - friends, family and so on.

Yes it has been mentioned Dirk - by Woodcote Royal on more than one occasion, which is probably why Schards (at least) appears to have missed it.

Its also been mentioned more than once that an expanded stadium will allow the club a much greater flexibility in terms of pricing, special offers, KFAQ, and so on.

Not to mention (though I already have) the fact that with a higher capacity the club will almost certainly increase its currently rather low-key advertising efforts, as it will actually be worth peoples' whiles to try and get tickets for a game. Was it Southampton that took out ads in our local rags for their games? Would be great to be able to turn the tables and do the same to them.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 27 Sep 2007 12:00

I don't understand Skyline's need to personalise this debate.

If you think the extention should be built, that's fine, I don't and i'm happy to argue the reasons why. Isn't that what a discussion board is all about?

In the end, my opinion or anyone elses on here won't make the slightest difference to the ultimate decision in any case.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 27 Sep 2007 12:16

Skyline Its also been mentioned more than once that an expanded stadium will allow the club a much greater flexibility in terms of pricing, special offers, KFAQ, and so on.

Surely this is not a given, and is completely dependent on if we achieve a certain average attendance, i.e. stadium overheads will presumably increase so if the club wants to introduce 'more flexibilty in pricing' then it will need to see a more than proportional increase in overall attendances.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Sep 2007 12:23

cmonurz
Skyline Its also been mentioned more than once that an expanded stadium will allow the club a much greater flexibility in terms of pricing, special offers, KFAQ, and so on.

Surely this is not a given, and is completely dependent on if we achieve a certain average attendance, i.e. stadium overheads will presumably increase so if the club wants to introduce 'more flexibilty in pricing' then it will need to see a more than proportional increase in overall attendances.

That depends - there's flexibility between games as well as flexibility within games - if that makes sense.

So for the 6 or so matches which will completely sell out each year there'd be no need for doing anything special, but the likes of Wigan & Derby matches etc could be used for KFAQ etc.

It could be argued that the sell-out matches alone would cost-justify the extension, so anything extra is pure profit - especially as stadium overheads will only increase proportionately to increased attendances.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Sep 2007 09:48

Behindu I know that I brought 3 Liverpool fans to the game who all enjoyed it and want to come back (pencilled in the Arsenal game for that !)
Playing devil's advocate here for a moment - isn't bringing away fans into the home end stopping the thousands of genuine Reading fans who want to see games but currently can't? Also, these fans you speak of who support other teams but live in Reading? If they start coming to watch RFC games after the proposed expansion, won't we end up just like Fulham and possibly have a mainly "neutral" stand?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Sep 2007 09:56

If they come through the gate and pay their money I doubt the club would care if they are "neutral" or not.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 28 Sep 2007 09:59

Royal Lady
Behindu I know that I brought 3 Liverpool fans to the game who all enjoyed it and want to come back (pencilled in the Arsenal game for that !)
Playing devil's advocate here for a moment - isn't bringing away fans into the home end stopping the thousands of genuine Reading fans who want to see games but currently can't? Also, these fans you speak of who support other teams but live in Reading? If they start coming to watch RFC games after the proposed expansion, won't we end up just like Fulham and possibly have a mainly "neutral" stand?

1. Interesting that you believe there are thousands of genuine Reading fans unable to get to games. I assume this marks the end to your opposition to the extension !

2. Why would anyone need a neutral stand ? Neutrals have always gone to games, there doesn;t seem any logical reason why you need to seperate them out from home fans.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Sep 2007 10:00

Stranded If they come through the gate and pay their money I doubt the club would care if they are "neutral" or not.
Fair comment. However, it will severely damage our "atmosphere" imho.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 28 Sep 2007 10:29

Royal Lady
Stranded If they come through the gate and pay their money I doubt the club would care if they are "neutral" or not.
Fair comment. However, it will severely damage our "atmosphere" imho.

We don't do atmosphere at RFC :wink:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Sep 2007 10:42

Hence my inverted commas. :roll:

Behindu - I was being "devil's advocate" - didn't say I truly believed there were thousands of fans wishing to be able to purchase tickets. :roll:

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 28 Sep 2007 11:03

As Reading is full of us immigrants many many reading fans "grew up" with a different allegiance. I will be in Lyon supporting my other team on Tuesday night and back at the mad stad next saturday.

Nothing wrong with targeting these fans of other teams who will come to a few games. If they like what they see they will come back more and more. they'll start bringing their kids, who won't have the same allegiance to the other team and so we get a enw generation of supporters.

Currently, without the expansion, we cannot actract the "neutrals" and turn them into reading fans.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 28 Sep 2007 11:20

Royal Lady Hence my inverted commas. :roll:

Behindu - I was being "devil's advocate" - didn't say I truly believed there were thousands of fans wishing to be able to purchase tickets. :roll:

You don't say :roll:

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 02 Oct 2007 12:58

I'm told Sunday is looking like a sell out - a few hundred tickets left at this point.

Not too shabby for a televised league game against uninspiring opposition on a non standard day off the back of a slightly disappointing run of results.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Oct 2007 17:11

well, no-one can say that we aren't offering entertainment at the moment!

:wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Oct 2007 17:59

Behindu I'm told Sunday is looking like a sell out - a few hundred tickets left at this point.

Not too shabby for a televised league game against uninspiring opposition on a non standard day off the back of a slightly disappointing run of results.

I will be absolutely staggered if it is a sell out!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Oct 2007 18:00

Presumably there's no way that Derby will have sold their full 2000 0- if they even took the full allocation in the first place.

Do you mean a home sell-out?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Oct 2007 18:01

Can someone please remind me how many season ticket holders we have in total?

1418 posts