*Confirmed* Glenn Little out for 4-6 months

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 03 Oct 2007 14:53

according to radio berkshire this morning he could out for 6 weeks if the operation all goes well.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 03 Oct 2007 14:53

Stranded
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Stranded
PEARCEY
Super Kevin Bremner!
Oi Oi Saveloy
Super Kevin Bremner! Michael Kightly is a must-bid-for player.

Apparently he's been shite so far this season

What!?

MOTM last three games - absoulutely on fire up there.

Two people I know who support Wolves say Kightly has been superb for them this season. Forget Freddie Eastwood..Kightly is their man. Very skilful and productive.
I have never seen him play so I have no idea how good he is but these same fans said when we bought Seol that he was great to start with and then tailed off...when he was at Wolves so their views re Kightly might be valid.

Coppell said in the summer he wanted a winger who could play both wings, which is exactly what Kightly is. Still no idea why we didn't go and get him this summer. Seriously doubt he'll wanna join us now though.

Maybe because we, like all the other Premier League clubs, including the promoted sides who would have played directly against him, don't think he is of sufficient quality at this time and that Wolves having recently tied him to a new deal were asking silly money?

I also guess this judgement would have been made on more than the odd TV game and match reports.

He's better than what we got.

Is he, is he really? Blokes had less than a years impact at the level below having played non-league prior to that - besides how much have you actually seen of him? He MAY be better than what we have but just as likely may not be, but would come with a hefty fee to boot.

Remind you of anyone we have at the club already? Perhaps the Conference is better than the Eircom also.....?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Oct 2007 15:04

Super Kevin Bremner!
Stranded
Stranded
PEARCEY
Super Kevin Bremner!
Oi Oi Saveloy

What!?

Two people I know who support Wolves say Kightly has been superb for them this season. Forget Freddie Eastwood..Kightly is their man. Very skilful and productive.
I have never seen him play so I have no idea how good he is but these same fans said when we bought Seol that he was great to start with and then tailed off...when he was at Wolves so their views re Kightly might be valid.

Coppell said in the summer he wanted a winger who could play both wings, which is exactly what Kightly is. Still no idea why we didn't go and get him this summer. Seriously doubt he'll wanna join us now though.

Maybe because we, like all the other Premier League clubs, including the promoted sides who would have played directly against him, don't think he is of sufficient quality at this time and that Wolves having recently tied him to a new deal were asking silly money?

I also guess this judgement would have been made on more than the odd TV game and match reports.

Is he, is he really? Blokes had less than a years impact at the level below having played non-league prior to that - besides how much have you actually seen of him? He MAY be better than what we have but just as likely may not be, but would come with a hefty fee to boot.

Remind you of anyone we have at the club already? Perhaps the Conference is better than the Eircom also.....?

Yes, I'm fully aware of that however Kightly will not cost us £78k. We'd have been looking at probably £3m plus for a bloke that NOBODY from the Prem moved for this summer, even the clubs who came across him last season during promotion who have splashed the cash on CCC players.

It's fine pulling names out of a hat saying, we should have gone for him or him but it's based on watching the odd game on TV and reading the odd match report. No club that have seen him and scouted him as most Prem clubs would have have seen fit to put in any bid for the bloke. That says more about where he is currently as a player than anything else (this is not to say he won't end up in the Prem in the future).

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 03 Oct 2007 15:09

Stranded
Super Kevin Bremner!
Stranded
Stranded
PEARCEY
Super Kevin Bremner!
Oi Oi Saveloy

What!?

Yes, I'm fully aware of that however Kightly will not cost us £78k. We'd have been looking at probably £3m plus for a bloke that NOBODY from the Prem moved for this summer, even the clubs who came across him last season during promotion who have splashed the cash on CCC players.

It's fine pulling names out of a hat saying, we should have gone for him or him but it's based on watching the odd game on TV and reading the odd match report. No club that have seen him and scouted him as most Prem clubs would have have seen fit to put in any bid for the bloke. That says more about where he is currently as a player than anything else (this is not to say he won't end up in the Prem in the future).

So, if Doyle was playing elsewhere, based on what you knew about him from his season in the Championship, £3m wouldn't have been a good punt for you then?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Oct 2007 15:24

That's a moot question really as we have no idea how he would have performed if he hadn't come to us.

Would he have performed as well at say Burnley or Stoke in his Championship season.

But in general £3m for a Championship striker who scored 20plus goals would be a good punt (esp in the current market). Kightly hasn't done that, isn't a striker and has clearly not impressed anybody enough within the Prem (including us) to test the resolve of either himself or Wolves.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Oct 2007 15:25

Ideal
Behindu
Ideal Oster was a 3rd backup to rely on. He isn't any better than that..

Of course he was more than that !

Who were our preferred starting right wingers last season?
1. Little
2. Seol
3. Oster

It seems apparant Oster was third choice, and he is in fact a player of less ability than Glen Little and Seol.

I don't know what sort of logic and reasoning that exists in your world, but I suspect there may be none.

Oster is crap, and every single team in this division have got a better right winger than Oster, perhaps with the exception of Sunderland.

A large amount of that is that Coppell also sees Oster as being able to do a job in the middle of the park, so was often left as the option on the bench to cover both positions.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 03 Oct 2007 15:31

Ideal
Oster is crap, and every single team in this division have got a better right winger than Oster, perhaps with the exception of Sunderland.

I'm not sure I'd have Oster in my team over Carlos Edwards...

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Oct 2007 16:13

Stranded
Ideal
Behindu

1. Little
2. Seol
3. Oster

It seems apparant Oster was third choice, and he is in fact a player of less ability than Glen Little and Seol.

I don't know what sort of logic and reasoning that exists in your world, but I suspect there may be none.

A large amount of that is that Coppell also sees Oster as being able to do a job in the middle of the park, so was often left as the option on the bench to cover both positions.

Good point Stranded.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Oct 2007 16:15

"often"?

How many times was Oster on the bench and Gunnarsson wasn't?
How frequently did Oster come on to replace a central midfielder?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Oct 2007 16:40

Platypuss "often"?

Look PP just give Oster a chance - see what he can do. He is not as bad as you think! And surely our defensive problems make what's happening on the right wing seem far less significant?

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 03 Oct 2007 16:46

Stranded That's a moot question really as we have no idea how he would have performed if he hadn't come to us.

Would he have performed as well at say Burnley or Stoke in his Championship season.

But in general £3m for a Championship striker who scored 20plus goals would be a good punt (esp in the current market). Kightly hasn't done that, isn't a striker and has clearly not impressed anybody enough within the Prem (including us) to test the resolve of either himself or Wolves.

To be honest you're not really making any sense with that post Stranded.

Kightly played well in a worse side and scored 9 in 26 from right midfield. Doyle was in a great side and got 18 in 41 playing up front.

If Doyle's worth £3m after doing what he did, isn't Kightly??

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 03 Oct 2007 16:57

Ideal
Behindu

1. Little
2. Seol
3. Oster

And look how many appearances Oster made in the greatest season in our history...

Oster most certainly isn;t 'crap', but then we need to bear in mind you don;t actually ever see the team play so aren;t going to know much about them.
If you want to start making silly statements can i also suggest that just about every team in the division probably has a better striker than Dave Kitson and a better midfielder than James Harper. Doesn;t make either of them 'crap' though.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 03 Oct 2007 17:08

Ideal
Behindu we need to bear in mind you don;t actually ever see the team play so aren;t going to know much about them.

Your assumption is incorrect, "Einstein" :roll:

I've never seen you at a game.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 03 Oct 2007 17:13

the problem is it seemed hard for us to attract players in the summer

who is gona come in january if we are in the shit??

if you were a player at wolves say.... and reading came in for you and they were in the relegation zone, would be difficult to decide

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Oct 2007 17:14

Ideal
Archie's penalty
Platypuss "often"?

Look PP just give Oster a chance - see what he can do. He is not as bad as you think! And surely our defensive problems make what's happening on the right wing seem far less significant?

Oster has had his chance many a time and has proven to be slightly below average in all areas of the game, except for crossing where he is simply abysmal.

As for the defensive problems, all areas of the pitch are linked.
If your right back has a useless right winger in front of him, your right back will be more exposed. This is just an example, but it is not only our defense that is failing.
The midfield is weak in a) defensive mid and b) right wing. This leaves us exposed.
The team can only ever function if it is a unit, and when one link fails it leaves a weakness, a clear path that can be exploited.

I disagree. First of all he is not below average in all areas and abysmal at crossing. Secondly when you say he has been given a chance 'many a time' what exactly does this mean? Has there been a time over the last three years when Oster has had more than 3 starts in a row? And before you wheel out the argument that 'the reason he hasn't is due to his perfomances' I would beg to disagree. Little and Seol have been in front of him. Coppell doesn't work with people on form - he has a team in his mind and sticks with it (so when Little and Seol have come back from injury they have gone back in). Oster has been incredibly patient to stay on the bench over two years and not complain. This is surely to his credit as well.
Last edited by Archie's penalty on 03 Oct 2007 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Oct 2007 17:14

Archie's penalty
Platypuss "often"?

A valid point but pretty academic at the present as Oster is still injured! :cry:

If they book now they should get a good price on a flight to Sweden in six months time!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Oct 2007 17:17

RoyalBlue
Archie's penalty
Platypuss "often"?

A valid point but pretty academic at the present as Oster is still injured! :cry:

If they book now they should get a good price on a flight to Sweden in six months time!

You're right - I just hope that Coppell gives the guy a go when he gets back.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 03 Oct 2007 17:51

Archie's penalty
RoyalBlue
Archie's penalty
Platypuss "often"?

You're right - I just hope that Coppell gives the guy a go when he gets back.

Archie.........you argue with a passion for Oster. Whilst not a fan of his he has never had a real run in the side. As you have suggested before perhpas he should be given 5 games and told to go out and make the position his own. If he fails to then its time to forget about him. At the moment there really are few options on the right flank so, when fit, lets see if he can cut the Colemans

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Oct 2007 18:02

Archie's penalty Oster has been incredibly patient to stay on the bench over two years and not complain. This is surely to his credit as well.

:?

http://msnsport.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11673_2408745,00.html

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Oct 2007 18:08

Platypuss
Archie's penalty Oster has been incredibly patient to stay on the bench over two years and not complain. This is surely to his credit as well.

:?

http://msnsport.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11673_2408745,00.html

I wouldn't call that a complaint though, especially not compared to what Seol was saying. In the article he says that 'the manager is fair' which shows that he has accepted Coppell's position regarding the team.