Would anyone here like to see Coppell sacked?

Fred Sharpe's Nose

by Fred Sharpe's Nose » 05 Oct 2007 09:58

NO, I would not want to see Coppell sacked.

YES, I would like to see Billy Whitehurst slaughtering defenders again.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 05 Oct 2007 10:03

NO

Did it not take Ferguson 5 years to win a trophy at Manure? Would they have gone on to dominate the Prem had he been sacked after 5 years?

Clearly not. Similalr example at a lower level is Crewe and Dario Gradi. Whilst not winning trophies, certainly played football tehright, and instrumental in turning Crewe into a respected football playing side from a joke team.

The past is littered with examples hire and fire failures. Leave Sir Steve alone. He will go of his own accord if he feels he has failed.

Crazy, crazy people :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 05 Oct 2007 10:05

If we get relegated he wont get the sack, he will resign.

This my theory, that is mine, that it is, and it's mine, that is my theory.......

(cough) eh em, that it is........................

............I have another theory about the brontosaurus...................

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 05 Oct 2007 10:13

AF1
Then there were all those rumours from his time at Man City :roll:

What was the story there? I'm sure a City fan I know hinted there was more to it than 'the pressure'. Apologies if its been discussed elsewhere.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Oct 2007 10:17

neither should have fingers pointed

we lost a few games, and conceded a few goals, so what, its been due since the year we went up

alot of games in the last two years we have been lucky, alot of our players were performing right at the top of their game for a very long period

its up to us and the team to dig deep and turn this round
if we go down, so what, we had two seasons in the top flight, an unbelieveable achievemnet for RFC
and SC and JM should be given the chance to put us back up here

that said it wont happen, we will stay up, and there will be more investment in the same brick by brick manner as always, and kingcopp will probably build us another team of gods

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 05 Oct 2007 10:26

Nice letter in the EP yesterday suggesting that Coppell should go.

The suggestion was that he should be replaced by Neil Warnock.

I have not made this up.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 05 Oct 2007 10:30

Vision Nice letter in the EP yesterday suggesting that Coppell should go.

I have not made this up.

:shock:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Oct 2007 10:53

Vision Nice letter in the EP yesterday suggesting that Coppell should go.

I have not made this up.

Was the postmark from Hallam?

79Royal

by 79Royal » 05 Oct 2007 11:01

Berkshire Born
AF1
Then there were all those rumours from his time at Man City :roll:

What was the story there? I'm sure a City fan I know hinted there was more to it than 'the pressure'. Apologies if its been discussed elsewhere.

Definitely more to it I think. In 'Reading Between The Lines', Jonathon Pearce points towards other issues at City, that left Coppell with few options but to leave.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 05 Oct 2007 11:16

Which were?

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 05 Oct 2007 11:33

Coppell will quit if he gets us relegated. He's not here for the long term. Once Brighton get their new ground he'll end up back there. He clearly loves that part of the world and holds Brighton in much higher regard than he does Reading.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 05 Oct 2007 11:51

I know we're not allowed to debate this. But a few more bad results and the pressure is on Coppell big time.

We all know he doesn't do pressure.

We all know he's not actually very good at turning round bad form. Palace's relegation season and the year before we got promoted being examples of that.

I'm not saying Coppell should go. It's his team, no one else is gonna get these guys to perform if he can't. But people really underestimate the effects of pressure of Coppell and the effect of losing £100m on JM.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 05 Oct 2007 11:52

Katie Marsden Coppell will quit if he gets us relegated. He's not here for the long term. Once Brighton get their new ground he'll end up back there. He clearly loves that part of the world and holds Brighton in much higher regard than he does Reading.

1/10 - very poor.

Kes

by Kes » 05 Oct 2007 12:01

Coppell has done great and built solid foundations for the club. However, I think if Reading want to progress in years to come they probably need a coach that can attract great players to the club.

anR

by anR » 05 Oct 2007 12:14

Hampshire Royal He should be sacked immediately and replaced by a committee made up of HNA posters. It's clear that the wisest of them, with experience gathered from a long and successful career on CM, are the only ones with the answers to all of our problems. After signing all the best players in the World, we would be a shoe-in for the Champions League.

Totally right. We should replace him with SDR!

Just imagine that. After a 3-0 demolition of Arsenal, post match...

Interviewer: Amazing performance Dodger, where do you see your team finishing if they continue with such amazing displays?

SDR: ...

After Liverpool crush us 3-0...

Interviewer: Where did it all go wrong today?

SDR: I clearly neeeeeeed more money to buy some experienced centre backs, some more midfielders, strikers on the top of their game and a good quality keeper, or John Madejski sells up and moves on, you know it makes senseeeeeeeeeeee...

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 05 Oct 2007 12:17

Kes Coppell has done great and built solid foundations for the club. However, I think if Reading want to progress in years to come they probably need a coach that can attract great players to the club.

So that's a suggestion to replace our coaches (Downes / Dillon) rather than our manager then....

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 05 Oct 2007 12:26

even if we were to get relegated (which we wont) i'd still vouch for coppell in the hot seat!!

he's built us up for 4 years so let him stick with it

fool

Re: Would anyone here like to see Coppell sacked?

by fool » 05 Oct 2007 12:45

Billy Whitehurst So, as a test to my theory, does anyone think Reading and Steve should part company after our moderate start ? Come on, be brave as I think there are some of you out there.

Dear Billy
Send a private message to REAL ROYAL on the subject who will not doubt offer a constructive argument to why sacking Coppell is a good idea.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 05 Oct 2007 12:49

Get rid of Sir Steve? Absolutely not! What he has achieved with limited resources is not far short of a football miracle.
Total faith in him.
As for Reading fans being intolerant – you are joking (or fishing) I hope.
It has been my pleasure (!) over the years to watch several other teams on a fairly regular basis whist I have been working on contracts around the UK. Try going along to a Wolves, Millwall, Leeds, Hull or Norwich game when they are struggling. Anything you hear at Reading pales into insignificance compared to the abuse dished out at these clubs.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Oct 2007 12:54

Northern Git Get rid of Sir Steve? Absolutely not! What he has achieved with limited resources is not far short of a football miracle.
Total faith in him.
As for Reading fans being intolerant – you are joking (or fishing) I hope.
It has been my pleasure (!) over the years to watch several other teams on a fairly regular basis whist I have been working on contracts around the UK. Try going along to a Wolves, Millwall, Leeds, Hull or Norwich game when they are struggling. Anything you hear at Reading pales into insignificance compared to the abuse dished out at these clubs.

Spot on!