Would anyone here like to see Coppell sacked?

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

Re: Would anyone here like to see Coppell sacked?

by seahawk10 » 05 Oct 2007 23:33

Billy Whitehurst Re: Would anyone here like to see Coppell's sack?

No thank you. Let's keep things the way they are.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 06 Oct 2007 09:25

Tilehurst Mike ...I'll admit in the past to giving Manager's abuse from the terraces and shouting for them to be sacked such as Branfoot, Bullivant and Burns but never Coppell for I have the upmost respect for what he has achieved.

Oddly, Branfoot got pretty strong backing throughout our relegation season in 1987/88. Questions didn't seem to surface until after the Simod Cup final, when people started to wonder why he ditched the clearly successful formation and selection used in those games for the blatantly unsuccessful long ball game when he had whitehurst and moran able to play again. And calls for him to go didn't really surface until the following year.

Tommy Burns got surprisingly little stick. Perhaps one reason was that he talked a very good game. You'd hear him speak and he always sounded like he knew exactly what he was doing and how to turn it around. I think for Coppell, that's one thing that could get to the rather less patient contingent. In the latter half of the 2004/5 season his repeated statements that he coudn't put his finger on what was going wrong, with the implication that he didn't therefore know how to put it right, had fans texting "coppell out!" to Radio Berks in their droves.

People are encouragingly backing Coppell now, but if we don't get a result tomorrow, you could bet that SDR's inevitible thread would round up a fair few guppies in his net.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 06 Oct 2007 09:48

Only manager I ever wanted to see go was Tommy Burns, he promised so much when he came, including keeping us up, but failed from day one to show he had any idea.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Oct 2007 10:37

Katie Marsden
rotherwick_royal
Behindu
Katie Marsden Coppell will quit if he gets us relegated. He's not here for the long term. Once Brighton get their new ground he'll end up back there. He clearly loves that part of the world and holds Brighton in much higher regard than he does Reading.

1/10 - very poor.

Tune in soon for the next episode of "What Katie Said Next" :roll:

I think you'll fine he would walk if we got relegated, anyone that believes he would remain in charge is seriously deluded.

Why would he walk if United got relegated? And lets face it that isn't going to happen more's the pitty.

Surprise surprise two of HNA's top 5 crap fishermen are the only ones saying he should go/spouting rubbish about Brighton.

I think it's a close call as to whether he'd walk if we got relegated. I'd like to think us as fans could do enough to persuade him to give it another go. If he doesn't get us back up in 1-2 years then walking away would be fair enough.

Not that we are going to go down anyway.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Oct 2007 10:39

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Tilehurst Mike ...I'll admit in the past to giving Manager's abuse from the terraces and shouting for them to be sacked such as Branfoot, Bullivant and Burns but never Coppell for I have the upmost respect for what he has achieved.

Oddly, Branfoot got pretty strong backing throughout our relegation season in 1987/88. Questions didn't seem to surface until after the Simod Cup final, when people started to wonder why he ditched the clearly successful formation and selection used in those games for the blatantly unsuccessful long ball game when he had whitehurst and moran able to play again. And calls for him to go didn't really surface until the following year.

Tommy Burns got surprisingly little stick. Perhaps one reason was that he talked a very good game. You'd hear him speak and he always sounded like he knew exactly what he was doing and how to turn it around. I think for Coppell, that's one thing that could get to the rather less patient contingent. In the latter half of the 2004/5 season his repeated statements that he coudn't put his finger on what was going wrong, with the implication that he didn't therefore know how to put it right, had fans texting "coppell out!" to Radio Berks in their droves.

People are encouragingly backing Coppell now, but if we don't get a result tomorrow, you could bet that SDR's inevitible thread would round up a fair few guppies in his net.

Burns got plenty of stick from me and my mates. He was atrocious. Much more deserving of the abuse than Bullivant IMO.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 06 Oct 2007 12:29

I would like us to stick with Coppell this season.

He's got us into this mess with his judgement about the squad in the summer and not sorting out Little's injury or replacing him, but I believe he can make it right and we could finish 4th from bottom.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Oct 2007 14:00

Coppell's done well and we have a lot to be thankful to him for, but to say he should have the job for life is silly. Thats not typically how football works, and most people know it. Its more a case of 'what have you done for me lately?"

Coppell's been good for us so far, but that doesn't automatically mean he's the best manager for us forever more. No matter what he's done in the past, he may or may not be the best man for the job going forward. There's not much room for sentiment in this business I'm afraid.

Agree with others that he may walk if we go down. Which begs the question, why should we be loyal to him forever more if he doesn't feel the same way?

I'll say this. If we do go down and he somehow stays, and then we struggle in the Championship, you'll see a whole bunch of people in here singing a quite different tune.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 06 Oct 2007 16:11

rotherwick_royal
Behindu
Katie Marsden Coppell will quit if he gets us relegated. He's not here for the long term. Once Brighton get their new ground he'll end up back there. He clearly loves that part of the world and holds Brighton in much higher regard than he does Reading.

1/10 - very poor.

Right.

Pour scorn on the guy who suggests Coppell will walk if we go down.

Not at all unrealistic IMO.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 06 Oct 2007 16:24

The whole year inn
rotherwick_royal
Behindu

1/10 - very poor.

Right.

Hmm, and the part about taking over at Brighton instead?
:lol:

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 06 Oct 2007 16:31

RobRoyal
The whole year inn
rotherwick_royal
Behindu

1/10 - very poor.

Right.

Good mates with Knight, they own property in the same street

Not unrealistic IMO

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Oct 2007 16:43

Having just looked at this weeks fixtures you would expect most of the teams around us to lose, and you would expect us to beat Derby. Now obviously it never works out exactly like that, but we could easily finish the weekend in about 12th with at least a couple of points advantage over most of the teams below us.

Lets just hope we win! That would make it look much less likely that Coppell will be going anywhere.

Kevin Doyles Right Foot

by Kevin Doyles Right Foot » 06 Oct 2007 20:57

No

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 06 Oct 2007 21:02

never will i boo coppell because what he has acheived is amazing

however lets be honest, if pardew had not have left it would have been done sooner

coppell, IMO, has been poor this season, he is too loyal and does not make subs soon enough.........also, how in gods name does he think that gunnar is a better player than fae...........

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Oct 2007 21:51

winchester_royal never will i boo coppell because what he has acheived is amazing

however lets be honest, if pardew had not have left it would have been done sooner

coppell, IMO, has been poor this season, he is too loyal and does not make subs soon enough.........also, how in gods name does he think that gunnar is a better player than fae...........

maybe he doesn't want to pair Fae with someone who doesn't speak the same language as him in the premiership.... I believe I heard not so long ago Fae doesn't really speak English yet.

bassavage

by bassavage » 06 Oct 2007 22:25

The whole year inn
RobRoyal
The whole year inn
rotherwick_royal
Behindu

1/10 - very poor.

Right.

Not unrealistic IMO

How could you say no if you had the chance to work with Savage and Forster again?

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 06 Oct 2007 23:51

bassavage
The whole year inn
RobRoyal
The whole year inn
rotherwick_royal
Behindu

1/10 - very poor.

Right.

Not unrealistic IMO

How could you say no if you had the chance to work with Savage and Forster again?

Exactly.

He would spend more money if manager of Brighton too.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Oct 2007 10:24

The whole year inn
bassavage
The whole year inn
RobRoyal
The whole year inn
rotherwick_royal
Behindu

1/10 - very poor.

Right.

Not unrealistic IMO

Exactly.

He would spend more money if manager of Brighton too.

Only if he was there for 20 years.

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 07 Oct 2007 13:43

Coppell out!....Simple!!....I think Kinglsey is right for the job tbh!!!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Oct 2007 14:16

As much as I truly love Steve Coppell, I am of the firm opinion that if we go down he will walk. I think he would resign as he would realise he'd failed the club and the fans and that he'd taken RFC as far as he could within the constraints available to him. I do, however, doubt that any future manager will ever do for Reading what Coppell has done and I will also stick my neck out and state that should we get relegated, we'll never be in the top flight again in my lifetime.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Oct 2007 15:24

Royal Lady Should we get relegated, we'll never be in the top flight again in my lifetime.

Yep, never quite understood all these people that assume that if we do get relegated, we'll bounce right back up into the Premiership again.