We said it, he admitted it, but was Coppell actually wrong?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Oct 2007 11:17

Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy
Gordons Cumming
Wycombe Royal ................ we should be able to get 10 points quite easily.

Must make a mental note of that.

i back us to get ten points from next ten games too, if not a couple more

and oster wasnt that bad, caused them some problems when he came on, was just a bit shot shy, and getting back from injury
people need to get a grip, we are 12th, some easier games soming up after a two week break, after which we will have our 1st choice team available for the 1st time in month(little excepted)
get behind the team-you lot sound like closet swindon supporters sometimes

Oster wasn't that bad? He lost posession numerous times when he came on, in areas that nearly cost us dearly. If Derby could learn the offside rule then we may have only come away with a point. Don't start me on Gunnar either, it annoys me enough when I have to watch him chase the ball around like a six year old playing football. Let alone his attempts at tracking back at two miles an hour. Can see no reason why he is in front of Fae or Cisse, if any one else can I am open to suggestions.

Injured.

And a bit of loyalty to a good player for RFC currently out of form. I'd agree he's lucky to still be in that side but this is turning into a witchhunt to someone that wasn't THAT bad yesterday.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 08 Oct 2007 11:18

Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy
Gordons Cumming

and oster wasnt that bad, caused them some problems when he came on, was just a bit shot shy, and getting back from injury
people need to get a grip, we are 12th, some easier games soming up after a two week break, after which we will have our 1st choice team available for the 1st time in month(little excepted)

Oster wasn't that bad? He lost posession numerous times when he came on, in areas that nearly cost us dearly. If Derby could learn the offside rule then we may have only come away with a point. Don't start me on Gunnar either, it annoys me enough when I have to watch him chase the ball around like a six year old playing football. Let alone his attempts at tracking back at two miles an hour. Can see no reason why he is in front of Fae or Cisse, if any one else can I am open to suggestions.

Because Fae and Cisse are duff buys who aren't better than Gunner at present. I agree with you watching Gunner in the last 20 mins is painfull, infact both Murty and Kitson also seem very heavy legged at the end of games. I don't think the players are as fit as in previous seasons.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 08 Oct 2007 11:21

Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy
Gordons Cumming

Cisse is injured and the Liverpool game showed that Fae just isn't up to the physicality required for more than an hour at this level at the moment.

FWIW I can just about handle Gunnarsson blundering around for an hour or so if we then bring Fae on and use his more positive qualities in the last 30 minutes or so when theres a bit more space to exploit.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 08 Oct 2007 11:29

Scarface
Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy
Gordons Cumming

Because Fae and Cisse are duff buys who aren't better than Gunner at present. I agree with you watching Gunner in the last 20 mins is painfull, infact both Murty and Kitson also seem very heavy legged at the end of games. I don't think the players are as fit as in previous seasons.

Duff buys? Right, the worldly-wise Scarface has spoken, we must offload them as soon as possible. :roll:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Oct 2007 11:44

Alan Partridge
Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy
Gordons Cumming

Injured.

And a bit of loyalty to a good player for RFC currently out of form. I'd agree he's lucky to still be in that side but this is turning into a witchhunt to someone that wasn't THAT bad yesterday.

shocker

player loses possession a couple of times :shock: :roll:

is this not what happens to all players, in all games?

thoufght he looked lively

gunnar was solid, and was much improved from his awful game at pompey, for someone whos confidence must have been shot he looked to be working his way back to good form,

and cisse is injured, which may give some clue as to why he wasnrt playing

if you hate all our players so vehemently i wonder why you support reading at all.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Oct 2007 11:57

Gordons Cumming

If you want to. I'm not saying we will, but we "should". With an attitude like yours we might as well throw the towel in now. ;)

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 08 Oct 2007 12:02

brendywendy
Alan Partridge
Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy
Gordons Cumming

Injured.

shocker

gunnar was solid, and was much improved from his awful game at pompey, for someone whos confidence must have been shot he looked to be working his way back to good form,

if you hate all our players so vehemently i wonder why you support reading at all.

I don't hate them, I just find it annoying when that sort of player is the level we rely on to shut out a game for us. Both should be no more than squad players at the most.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 08 Oct 2007 12:07

thought oster made a difference when he came on, not least because he made a run outside, took a defender with him leaving space for murty to attack which led to the goal

now, with regard to the "sidwell" role, how about for a couple of games we give bikey a shot at that box to box midfield role rather than bryn?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Oct 2007 12:13

Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy
Alan Partridge
Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy
Gordons Cumming

Injured.

shocker

I don't hate them, I just find it annoying when that sort of player is the level we rely on to shut out a game for us. Both should be no more than squad players at the most.

they did shut it out though,
i could understand if brynn had given the ball away leading to their equaliser, then oster had rifled th eball into his own net for th ederby winner.
the team is improving, and individual performances improved on th efarce that was last week,so copps position vindicated,he can now make changes if needed without destroying fragile confidences
and if we are in 12th in january all this whingeing is going to look a bitsilly

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 08 Oct 2007 12:27

brendywendy they did shut it out though,
i could understand if brynn had given the ball away leading to their equaliser, then oster had rifled th eball into his own net for th ederby winner.
the team is improving, and individual performances improved on th efarce that was last week,so copps position vindicated,he can now make changes if needed without destroying fragile confidences

They just about shut it out against Derby, at home. That sort of performance will not hold any water against Newcastle I suspect, they won't be so woeful in front of goal, nor offside as much. Realistically the performance could not have got any worse than last week, hence the nervousness in defence and midfield with the coninual booting of the ball into touch. We need to get back the never say die attitude of last season, whether that is achievable or not with this bunch of players is debatable

Archies Volley

by Archies Volley » 08 Oct 2007 12:32

if it hadnt been for the obvious and intentional hand ball by their left back Oster would have set Doyle up for the second goal after he (Oster) had won the ball well in the first place

had this happened i suggest many people on here would consider 2-0 to be comfortable enough (maybe even convincing?) and would be hailing the return of Oster

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Oct 2007 12:35

Wycombe Royal
Gordons Cumming

If you want to. I'm not saying we will, but we "should". With an attitude like yours we might as well throw the towel in now. ;)

I'm not sure what my attitude is, but I had issues with the word "easily"

OK?

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 08 Oct 2007 12:38

5 goals, 3 points.... ill take that at the moment...especially with our main man sonks and convey, someone looking more like the convey we need.......

fae, for the money, will come good, this will help harpers game....

Doyle will appreciate finding the back of the net for the forst time this season...rekindling the belief he had last year....

all is not lost...yet...

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 08 Oct 2007 12:49

We need to play a lot better if we're gonna get out of this mess. Derby are by far the worst team in the league and better teams would have taken them to pieces yesterday. I mean for oxf*rd sake Davies and Leacock at centre half were so bad.

Yesterday was a positive result and the performance was as good as it was gonna be.

But this thread no different to the thread last week calling for Coppell's head, an over reaction to one result.

The fact remains, if that had been any other team yesterday we would have lost. If they had some real quality they'd have taken advantage of the breaks they had.

Oster was Oster. Showed why despite Coppell falling out with Seol in Jan, he remained 3rd choice. Gives the ball away, never makes the right choice. How many times in the last 10mins did he lose the ball leading to Derby counter attacks that better teams would have punished us for? But at least he actually looks like a right winger, just not a very good one.

runrunrunrungilksey

Re: We said it, he admitted it, but was Coppell actually wro

by runrunrunrungilksey » 08 Oct 2007 12:52

2 world wars, 1 world cup We all said he got it wrong, even the staunchest fiercest defenders of Coppell like myself. He even admitted to the mistake he made.

But looking at the table I'm struggling a little bit to justify this point fo view, or the harsh treatment he got from us.

Of course I'm not sayign there is no problem whatsoever. We scraped a victory agaisnt the bottom of the table side at home, we let in seven against Pompey etc etc. Clearly we've got problems. But teh question is, how important are these problems considering the effect (or lack of) it's having on our league position.

The FACT is the table doesn't lie. The FACT is there ARE eight teams below us in the table. No matter how badly we've done, no matter rubbish we are, the FACT is there are eight teams who have done worse.

*Perhaps* when Sonko comes back if we can get a safe bottom half finish this year without demolishing our careful wage structure for EVER, and spending loads it'll be the biggest victory of all and we'll be £30 million richer? Perhaps therefore Coppell's so called 'mistake' was the wisest move since he joined and one we should eb eternally grateful for?

To be honest, I'm now really not sure I actually want us to spend big bucks and ruin our wage structure just to finish a couple of places higher. It's nice to know we have that ammo up our sleeves but quite frankly I'd rather take the £30million than ruin everything over a few nerves. Please, Coppell, do what you think is best and don't panic buy because of a few jittery fans' opinions!

Did we (including Coppell) panic a little too early?

Good post! Agree Sonks will be like a new signing however still think we need more strength and depth in the squad, especially if the youth won't be used.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 08 Oct 2007 12:54

Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy they did shut it out though,

They just about shut it out against Derby, at home. That sort of performance will not hold any water against Newcastle I suspect, they won't be so woeful in front of goal, nor offside as much. Realistically the performance could not have got any worse than last week, hence the nervousness in defence and midfield with the coninual booting of the ball into touch. We need to get back the never say die attitude of last season, whether that is achievable or not with this bunch of players is debatable

Disagree with a lot of that - did Derby actually get an attempt on target? I dont recall - and they went 442 - attacking intent.

We should have had two penalties, and had numerous other chances.

Its the same group of players who displayed as you say ' a never say die attitude last season' its a given they can do it again. The return of Sonks will give us the pace at the back to cover the slipped ball behind the back 4 - something which has been exposed as a defensive frailty for us this season -and Bobby back can only help Nicky Shorey's game..

I believe we've seen the worst, and whilst we have not kept up with other teams in regard bringing in quality personnel this season, we still have enough to get through the season with what we have, bar, a central midfielder who can tackle & run.

This current period in the clubs history will hopefully be a wake up call, and make our relativley 'niave' (in the sense of Prem footy) management team understand that you can never be complacent with improving the squad to maintain status.

I thought last season we picked up points that on another day we would have been beaten, and our expectations have been increased beyond our means.

Also - LOL at the moaning whinging elements of the East stand yesterday -

Archies Volley

by Archies Volley » 08 Oct 2007 12:57

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Oster was Oster. Showed why despite Coppell falling out with Seol in Jan, he remained 3rd choice. Gives the ball away, never makes the right choice. How many times in the last 10mins did he lose the ball leading to Derby counter attacks that better teams would have punished us for? But at least he actually looks like a right winger, just not a very good one.

once! when he bad shout from harper and thought he was under pressure and played a blind ball for murty to run onto but murty was actually waiting for the square ball so the ball was lost and they had decent attempt at a counter attack

and as i said above apart from an unspotted illegal intervention from their left back he would have already set up the clinching second goal - by first winning the ball and then running at the defence and then playing a decent ball into doyles path - all things we want our right sided player to do

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Oct 2007 12:59

Behindu I just took a reality check.

I then looked at the league table, we're still 12th.

Haven't added up the amount of money spent by each of the teams below us.

But is that latter factor really relevant? The fact that other teams have spent a lot of money but aren't performing well (at present) doesn't in itself mean that we don't need to spend some more money to ensure our survival. Nor does the fact that we have managed to get to the lofty position of 12th, having scraped a 1-0 win against, IMO, one of the worst teams in the PL for a good number of years mean that our current squad is good enough or strong enough to avoid relegation.

Yes, of course the money has to be spent wisely nor, as most of those of us in the 'spend camp' keep stressing, do we have to do a Leeds. Setting a realistic wage structure for the PL would be a good start (it might also lessen discontent amongst our existing squad) and, I suspect, would give Sir Steve a somewhat freer hand in the transfer market.

Once again, I really hope to be proved wrong but I fear we are in for some long bitter months this winter as we struggle to keep out of the bottom three.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Oct 2007 13:00

Gordons Cumming
Wycombe Royal
Gordons Cumming

I'm not sure what my attitude is, but I had issues with the word "easily"

OK?

Did you not see the :wink: .

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 08 Oct 2007 13:01

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
The fact remains, if that had been any other team yesterday we would have lost. If they had some real quality they'd have taken advantage of the breaks they had.

Look back to the threads after the Wigan game and people were saying exactly the same thing. I bet they'll be saying it on a few more occasions this season as well.

We're in a battle amongst the bottom 6 to stay up. We've won our 2 recent home "6 pointers" without playing particularly well. Look at things from that perspective and maybe it's a sign for a little bit of optimism rather than the usual out-pourings of doom and gloom.