Shorey...

255 posts
zac naloen

by zac naloen » 16 Oct 2007 09:08

Weren't these same stories popping about Shorey starting ahead of Cole so he'd be rested for Wednesday?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Oct 2007 10:09

UpNorth BBC now saying Lescott will start rather than Shorey.

Bit of a kick in the teeth for the lad.

Or, the one up the @rse he's needed since deadline day................

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Oct 2007 10:22

Woodcote Royal

Good point.

I thought Lescott did enough on Saturday to get Shorey or Neville the nod against Russia but maybe it would be better for us if Shorey misses out.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 16 Oct 2007 10:25

Hoop Blah
Woodcote Royal

Good point.

I thought Lescott did enough on Saturday to get Shorey or Neville the nod against Russia but maybe it would be better for us if Shorey misses out.

Certainly don't want him picking up any knocks on that pitch. From what i've read if you aren't used to playing on one, you will feel it the day after.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 16 Oct 2007 10:26

it seems McLaren is as inconsistent as ever with his selection choices. First he states that Robinson's club form is immaterial due to his clean sheet and performance record for country, then he picks Lescott based on his club performances and a ropey debut against Estonia. Anyway, Shorey has been nowhere near the form of last season so shouldn't be picked anyway

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Oct 2007 10:37

zac naloen Certainly don't want him picking up any knocks on that pitch. From what i've read if you aren't used to playing on one, you will feel it the day after.

From what I've seen of it on the TV it looks very similar to the rubber based one they have in the Dome at the Madejski.

I've never found that gives any adverse reaction.

Another game and another potential injury is one of those problems with players going away on international duty I guess. I suppose you could argue that not getting in the side might make Shorey think he needs to go to West Ham to further his chances of being Cole's understudy too. All swings and roundabouts.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 16 Oct 2007 10:41

Is Lescott even a left back?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 16 Oct 2007 10:42

SpaceCruiser Is Lescott even a left back?

He has been for Everton this season and they have conceeded far less goals than us

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 16 Oct 2007 11:46

By my reckoning, he has played four Prem games at centre back and three at left back. So it's true but it's not as if he hasn't played there regularly. Either way, I believe he is the better option than Shorey for Russia

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 16 Oct 2007 12:06

I'm not surprised, Shorey's form has been awfull.

However the manager looks a bit daft when he selects a backup left back and then decides not to play him when the first choice is injured. What was the point of selecting him in the first place ?

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 16 Oct 2007 12:13

Isn;t the selection going to be partly dependent on the Russians ?

I have no idea what sort of side they are or what formation they play but if they are a bunch of 6' 4'' giants then having Lescott in the team would be an advantage over Shorey.

Likewise if they are strong down (their) left but less strong on (their) right you may be able to sacrifice having a 'proper' left back.

it's never as simple as 'X is a better player than y' !

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 16 Oct 2007 12:17

Behindu I have no idea what sort of side they are or what formation they play but if they are a bunch of 6' 4'' giants then having Lescott in the team would be an advantage over Shorey.

That maybe, but he wouldn't of dropped Cole and he's smaller than Shorey.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 16 Oct 2007 12:24

Scarface
Behindu I have no idea what sort of side they are or what formation they play but if they are a bunch of 6' 4'' giants then having Lescott in the team would be an advantage over Shorey.

That maybe, but he wouldn't of dropped Cole and he's smaller than Shorey.

That's a fair point, and i hadn;t realised that Cole was that small !!
I think though that Cole is a far better player than Lescott or Shorey and that wins him initial selection. it's only when looking at options to replace him that factors like height come into it.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 16 Oct 2007 12:24

It's a plastic pitch that will almost certainly be watered just before the match, so surely the smaller players like NS will have an advantage as their lower centre of gravity will make them less likely to fall over.

Amongst the sheep

Re: Shorey...

by Amongst the sheep » 16 Oct 2007 12:51

Shaka's Giant Hands ...set to start for England on Saturday. Ashley Cole will be rested and take over the number 3 shirt on Wednesday night.

That is all.

If that had actually happened Cashley would've been available for the more testing Russia game and Maclaren wouldn't have his current problems!

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 16 Oct 2007 21:14

If Shorey had tried harder and played better for us this season he would have been given his chance with England. He's only got himself to blame...

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Oct 2007 21:36

Scarface However the manager looks a bit daft when he selects a backup left back and then decides not to play him when the first choice is injured. What was the point of selecting him in the first place ?

Maybe he's looked poor in training as well.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 16 Oct 2007 21:58

Dirk Gently It's a plastic pitch that will almost certainly be watered just before the match, so surely the smaller players like NS will have an advantage as their lower centre of gravity will make them less likely to fall over.

:shock: Do you honestly think the England management team look this much into it?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 16 Oct 2007 22:15

The whole year inn
Dirk Gently It's a plastic pitch that will almost certainly be watered just before the match, so surely the smaller players like NS will have an advantage as their lower centre of gravity will make them less likely to fall over.

:shock: Do you honestly think the England management team look this much into it?

Sadly not - perhaps I should have applied for the job! :wink:

255 posts