Shorey...

255 posts
Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 18 Oct 2007 20:50

Just as I said it would.

The only good thing is that Shorey and Reading suffered no physical or reputational damage as a result.

As I pointed out before the game...

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 18 Oct 2007 21:33

Let's hope this gives Shorey the kick up the ass he needs, starting with a vintage performance at Blackburn.
That should have been his England place against Russia, as our 3rd choice left back, with the first two injured.
I believe McClaren got that badly wrong but Shorey hasn't played well in the league this season and he needs to know
that he must recapture his previous Reading form to get his England squad place back, even if his heart is now somewhere else.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Oct 2007 12:02

McClaren may have got it wrong by playing Lescott but what were his other options?

Pull Barry out of his successful role in the centre (and we all saw his limitations at left back when we played Villa at home last season)

Use the right footed Neville on the wrong side and risk a repeat of his disaster a few seasons ago.

Or, play Nicky Shorey, whose star never ever dims in Top Flights' eyes :roll:

Back in the real world, it beggars belief that anyone's RTG's can blind them to the point that they can't see why England's manager was prepared to play someone else out of position rather than risk Reading's full back in his current form.

It wouldn't have taken long on the training ground for him to realise that Shorey is now a shadow of his former self and I can't help feeling that this might have had a baring on Cole not being rested at the weekend.

What the fcuk has Shorey done this season to suggest that he would have done any better than Lescott?..........Nothing!

At least Sidwell never slacked on the pitch long after he knew he wasn't staying.

That big wage packet may never come Shorey's way unless he gets out of this comfort zone/sulk and I'm really hoping this wake up call will do the trick for my player of last season.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Oct 2007 12:10

Woodcote Royal McClaren may have got it wrong by playing Lescott but what were his options?

Pull Barry out of his successful role in the centre (and we all saw his limitations at left back when we played Villa at home last season)

Use the right footed Neville on the wrong side and risk a repeat of his disaster a few seasons ago.

Or, play Nicky Shorey, whose star never ever dims in Top Flights' eyes :roll:

Back in the real world, it beggars belief that anyone's RTG's can blind them to the point that they can't see why England's manager was prepared to play someone else out of position rather than risk Reading's full back in his current form.

It wouldn't have taken long on the training ground for him to realise that Shorey is now a shadow of his former self and I can't help feeling that this might have had a baring on Cole not being rested at the weekend.

What the fcuk has Shorey done this season to suggest that he would have done any better than Lescott?..........Nothing!

At least Sidwell never slacked on the pitch long after he knew he wasn't staying.

That big wage packet may never come Shorey's way unless he gets out of this comfort zone/sulk and I'm really hoping this wake up call will do the trick for my player of last season.

I think the above is harsh.

I think Shorey is exactly the same player as he was last season. There is no difference at all. I think you want to claim that he is now sh*t because you think he won't be a Reading player for much longer.

You are just preparing yourself mentally for his departure. Its a coping mechanism. Its how you will survive the dissapointment of losing the best left back in the history of RFC. Of course its going to be a big blow for all of us when Shorey leaves but thats life.

Its the same coping mechanism that people used to downgrade Sidwell's importance to RFC when he left. But there is no doubt that Sidwell is a big miss for RFC. Shorey will be an even bigger miss.

Why do people have to do this. Last season Shorey was a hero. This season becauase he has rejected a new contract offer is now suddenly not that good. His performances are exactly the same as last season.

Our results have been second rate because we no longer have Sidwell. And believe it or not, that is the reason we are performing less well than last season. Sidwell was massive for us. Him not being in our midfield is the most important reason that our results have suffered this year. I know people don't want to believe it, but its those people who need to get their heads from out of their backsides and accept reality.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Oct 2007 12:19

If all the above were true, McClaren would have picked his second left back when the first choice got injured..........................or, was he, too, preparing himself for Shorey's departure :?

Why pick Shorey and not play him in these circumstances?

Sidwell was average in his last 2 seasons but Shorey was my player of last season and I'd have him back like a shot.

However, right now even that nice fat fee is under serious threat unless he gets his act together.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Oct 2007 12:28

Woodcote Royal If all the above were true, McClaren would have picked his second left back when the first choice got injured..........................or, was he, too, preparing himself for Shorey's departure :?

Sidwell was average in his last 2 seasons but Shorey was my player of last season and I'd have him back like a shot.

However, right now even that nice fat fee is under serious threat unless he gets his act together.

Don't look at what McLaren does and think that backs up your point. McLaren is an idiot and FFffd things up big time. Shorey should have played against Russia. Robinson shouldn't have played. McLaren made lots of selection errors and tactical mistakes. That is to be expected from a guy who guided Boro to just a few places above the drop zone before taking on the England job!

Last season fans were singing Shorey for England. This season, you now want him out of the England side. Its disgusting behaviour from some people on this board.

Sidwell was so average that Jose Mourinho, one of the most astute managers in world football decided to sign him.

Noble Locks

by Noble Locks » 19 Oct 2007 12:35

In my opinion, Shorey is a shadow of the player he was last season. He looks hesitant at both ends of the pitch.

Whether the contract situation has got to him, only he knows, but to me, on present form, he is not good enough to be in the international squad.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Oct 2007 12:35

Top Flight
Woodcote Royal If all the above were true, McClaren would have picked his second left back when the first choice got injured..........................or, was he, too, preparing himself for Shorey's departure :?

Don't look at what McLaren does and think that backs up your point. McLaren is an idiot and FFffd things up big time. Shorey should have played against Russia. Robinson shouldn't have played. McLaren made lots of selection errors and tactical mistakes. That is to be expected from a guy who guided Boro to just a few places above the drop zone before taking on the England job!

Last season fans were singing Shorey for England. This season, you now want him out of the England side. Its disgusting behaviour from some people on this board.

Sidwell was so average that Jose Mourinho, one of the most astute managers in world football decided to sign him.

Whatever McClarens faults, he was spot on in not playing Shorey in his current form and his inclusion in future squads must be in serioius doubt until he gets back to his best.

I've heard a number of Reading fans saying they'd like Goldbourne to be given another chance if Shorey is no longer interested in playing for us.

PS. Mourinho signed Sidwell because he was free.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 19 Oct 2007 12:40

Our failings this season are not down to Shorey's 'lack of form' nor is it solely down to the loss of Sidwell...

We played many games last season without Sidwell and performed equally well in those as we did with the game he played in. We actually went through runs of 5,6 and even 8 games without winning compare to our worst so far this season of just 2! so if Sidders was really that key a player those sorts of runs would not have happened.

Yes shorey is the same player as he was last season, but, I do think you are blinkered if you think he is in anywhere near the form of last season that got him selected for England, thats not to say that our 'failings' this season are solely down to him.

Lescott has been playing really well this season and posed more of a threat at corners and set pieces than Shorey ever could for England so it was no great suprise to those withoiut RTG's that Lescott played.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Oct 2007 12:44

The people wearing the RTGs are the ones who are saying that Shorey is not the same player as last season.

That kind of means that he will be easy to replace.

Well Sidwell hasn't been replaced and will be very hard to replace and Shorey will equally be incredibly difficult to replace.

I think its the likes of Woodcote who is wearing the RTG.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Oct 2007 12:45

Top Flight I think Shorey is exactly the same player as he was last season. There is no difference at all.

If you really believe this, then I fear your judgement must have been influenced by your affection for our Nicky. He is a shadow of last year's player, for whatever reason. Lacking in confidence, out of position, rarely getting in the crosses that he was so successful in last year.

Top Flight
Our results have been second rate because we no longer have Sidwell.

Partly true, because we haven't replaced his driving force in midfield, but certainly not helped by some hesitant defending

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 19 Oct 2007 12:51

McLaren loused up big time by playing a centre back at left back. Means the team is so unbalanced. Remember a moment in second half when we were chasing the game and ball went to Lescott on his left foot and his first touch was his only touch. Positionally he kept drifting inside too. Shades of Keith Curle playing left back for England in Euro 92.

Maybe Shorey's form has dipped (along with pretty much everyone else at Reading this season) but still a better option than Lescott. If no faith in Shorey, why not another proper left sided defender like Taylor or Baines.

Hopefully Shorey's dip in form will dissuade another club from bidding silly money in January, because we'll be weaker without him

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 19 Oct 2007 12:56

Top Flight The people wearing the RTGs are the ones who are saying that Shorey is not the same player as last season.

Well Sidwell hasn't been replaced and will be very hard to replace and Shorey will equally be incredibly difficult to replace.

I never said he wasn't the same player as last season and I certianly dont want to see him go.

He is just not playing up to the level he did last season.... If you cannot see that then you have either got RTG's , no idea about football, a brain that doesn't function or Nicky Shorey has some spell over you not to allow you to slate him off when his standards have dropped.

If you care to put up a poll on this or anyother website asking the question:

'Is Nicky Shorey playing as well as he was last season?'

I doubt you would get any result less than 97% saying he isnt playing as well.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 19 Oct 2007 13:09

Mad Dog's Ghost McLaren loused up big time by playing a centre back at left back. Means the team is so unbalanced. Remember a moment in second half when we were chasing the game and ball went to Lescott on his left foot and his first touch was his only touch. Positionally he kept drifting inside too. Shades of Keith Curle playing left back for England in Euro 92.

Maybe Shorey's form has dipped (along with pretty much everyone else at Reading this season) but still a better option than Lescott. If no faith in Shorey, why not another proper left sided defender like Taylor or Baines.

Hopefully Shorey's dip in form will dissuade another club from bidding silly money in January, because we'll be weaker without him

Spot on. If McClaren was worried about Shorey he had every chance to call up Baines or Taylor. Instead he called up Luke Young, a right back. So we had Young, Neville and Shorey on the bench which is at least one too many full backs.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Oct 2007 13:11

londinium
Top Flight The people wearing the RTGs are the ones who are saying that Shorey is not the same player as last season.

I never said he wasn't the same player as last season and I certianly dont want to see him go.

He is just not playing up to the level he did last season.... If you cannot see that then you have either got RTG's , no idea about football, a brain that doesn't function or Nicky Shorey has some spell over you not to allow you to slate him off when his standards have dropped.

Thats because people are specifically coming onto this thread to slate Shorey.

If you set up a poll on the official Reading website, you might get a different response.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Oct 2007 13:13

londinium

I agree, Shorey is an excellent player but his form ( along with most of the back four) is considerably down compared to last years standards.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Oct 2007 13:13

londinium

I would suggest that you are the one wearing the RTG.

How do you think Coppell, Dillon, Downes or Shorey would answer that question?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Oct 2007 13:17

TF, I don't think anybody is saying he is a bad player. Simply that at this current time ie the 9 league games we've played, his form is nowhere near where it was last season.

You are the only person I've seen, either on here or in the real world suggest otherwise.

It's a natural dip in form which may have occured for a multitude of reasons. I for one hope he rediscovers his form of last year soon.
Last edited by Stranded on 19 Oct 2007 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 19 Oct 2007 13:18

Top Flight
londinium

Thats because people are specifically coming onto this thread to slate Shorey.

If you set up a poll on the official Reading website, you might get a different response.

Do you honestly think people are 'specifically coming onto this thread to slate Shorey'... you really do have issues

I believe people come on this site to read posts, post their own feelings and generally talk about stuff Reading related. I don't think they Google - 'where can I slag off Nicky Shorey' and end up here.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 19 Oct 2007 13:23

Top Flight
londinium

I would suggest that you are the one wearing the RTG.

How do you think Coppell, Dillon, Downes or Shorey would answer that question?

If they were honest they would say:-

Nicky is a great player, not playing as well as he did last season, which doesn't mean he is playing badly!!!!.... He is still the best left back at RFC at the moment and I certianly dont want to lose him to that scum West Ham. I dont really think he is in good enough form to be selected for England though.

Then he would pick at his neck!!!!

255 posts