Gordon strachan

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

Gordon strachan

by weybridgewanderer » 27 Oct 2007 11:27

press conference yesterday

"Mark McGee is a great manager, look at where Reading are now, a lot of that is down to mark McGee"

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 27 Oct 2007 11:33

I would agree, otherwise would Mr Madejski have stuck it out for so long at RFC?

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 27 Oct 2007 11:51

We only had a hardcore support of 3000 under FSB. We have added 17000 plastics since then so obviously we have a lot to thank him for.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 27 Oct 2007 11:52

If he had stayed would we have got here sooner?
I doubt it because his ambition would still have led him to "bigger" clubs like Wolves and Leicester rather than wait for Reading to catch up in terms of ground etc.
Without his input I don't believe that JM would necessarily have stuck with it and we could still be a club jogging along in Div 1 as it is now called flirting with promotion and relegation from time to time.

When he looks back on his career in years to come Mark may well feel that he should have stayed longer with us but if he continues his excellent job at Motherwell he could still end up getting into Europe quicker than us either with Motherwell or by ending up as manager of one of the Old Firm clubs.

Tutti Frutti

by Tutti Frutti » 27 Oct 2007 12:03

FSB was the first to openly stay that Reading could support a Premier league club - and was ridiculed for it. He built the team that made it seem a possibility in 94-5. That was the experience that started the fire on the madstad development. Certainly, the team itself has nothing to do with him, but a lot of the expectations and the infrastructure that support us as a Pl team now are down to his time in charge.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 27 Oct 2007 12:04

Riseley We only had a hardcore support of 3000 under FSB. We have added 17000 plastics since then so obviously we have a lot to thank him for.

oxf*rd you, fisherman

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 27 Oct 2007 12:13

Apart from Jack Mansell, Reading, for me, played the best pure football under Mark McGhee.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 27 Oct 2007 12:19

Gordons Cumming Apart from Jack Mansell, Reading, for me, played the best pure football under Mark McGhee.
I concur.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Oct 2007 17:40

Riseley
Gordons Cumming Apart from Jack Mansell, Reading, for me, played the best pure football under Mark McGhee.
I concur.

So do I.....after not seeing the team live for a while I saw them outplay Derby in the League Cup and was staggered at the quality of football. We won 3-1 that night although lost the second leg 2-0 and went out of the competition. However he had the team playing cultured football and spent peanuts in doing so. Thats why I would never boo him when he returned with Wolves...he did a fab jb.

Pete10

by Pete10 » 27 Oct 2007 18:36

Mansell's team where awesome going forward scored for fun.
The scottish fellas team where strong all round lovely football.

Lamberts Tipple

by Lamberts Tipple » 27 Oct 2007 18:48

PEARCEY
Riseley
I concur.

So do I.....after not seeing the team live for a while I saw them outplay Derby in the League Cup and was staggered at the quality of football. We won 3-1 that night although lost the second leg 2-0 and went out of the competition. However he had the team playing cultured football and spent peanuts in doing so. Thats why I would never boo him when he returned with Wolves...he did a fab jb.

I'd forgotten that game, it was a brilliant performance

M0J0

by M0J0 » 27 Oct 2007 19:10

Lamberts Tipple
PEARCEY
Riseley
I concur.

I'd forgotten that game, it was a brilliant performance

we should have gone through on away goals as at full time the score was 3-3 and Derby scored 1 away to our 2
but the game went to extra time and the rest is history.

this thread started as Gordon strachan said Mark McGhee..etc etc

what would you expect...the two are bosom pals...if they were gay they would be a couple, who was FSBs best man at his wedding??????

ReadingFlan

by ReadingFlan » 27 Oct 2007 19:17

Surely we all booed Maghee just to help the team? I cannot hate the guy we were great under him. Still we became better after x

M0J0

by M0J0 » 27 Oct 2007 19:33

ReadingFlan Surely we all booed Maghee just to help the team? I cannot hate the guy we were great under him. Still we became better after x

I didn't sing the song to help the team, i sang the song because of the way the FSB left the club and if you don't remember or understand why
just ask,i will tell you.
as for we were great under him don't forget colin lee check the way torquay are playing as compared to motherwell.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Gordon strachan

by strap » 27 Oct 2007 21:54

weybridgewanderer press conference yesterday

"Mark McGee is a great manager, look at where Reading are now, a lot of that is down to mark McGee"

What a load of rubbish. FSB left us in Dec 1994. That was nearly 13 years ago. The club is a totally different entity now to what it was 5 years ago, never mind 13!!!!

I have enough problems with people saying much of what we are today is down to Parjudas!!!!

What IS it with the sweaties? Jeez! Presumably Steve Coppell is simply reaping the rewards of the wonderful foundations put down at the club by our last Scottish wondermanager!!!! Remeber his Magnificent Seven?!? Thank goodness we him steering our ship so professionally! Bet Steve Coppell, not to mention Mr Mad, say a silent prayer every day for the wonderful benevolence and leadership of Mr T Burns.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Oct 2007 22:07

McGoo is part of our history, he served a purpose

He took us one step up in the pecking list that has us currently teetering on the middle rung of that top ladder.

P.Judas took us to that next step

Whilst the likes of Sir Robin had got us some publicity (if little success) previously.

maybe, just maybe, some of it is down to McGhee?......he certainly tickled some boardroom tonsils at the time.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Oct 2007 00:09

Tutti Frutti FSB was the first to openly stay that Reading could support a Premier league club - and was ridiculed for it.

He also once said that the RFC hardcore support was 300 blokes under a (Southbank) shed, but then again McGhee only has marginally less faces than he does chins. Reading legend nonetheless; we look back on his reign with fondness and his subsequent lack of sustained success with a healthy jab of schandenfreude.

andyblue

by andyblue » 28 Oct 2007 01:00

"Schandenfreude"

Damn fine word to use regarding football . . . .

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 28 Oct 2007 01:56

Totally agree.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Oct 2007 07:18

andyblue "Schandenfreude"

Damn fine word to use regarding football . . . .

Schardenfreude is even better.