Man City (A) players' gesture

124 posts
Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 05 Nov 2007 10:29

Reading fans in moan about anything shock...

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 05 Nov 2007 10:44

I'd rather pay 30 quid and go on the train I think.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 05 Nov 2007 12:08

Yorkshire Royal Reading fans in moan about anything shock...

me if the aim was to get more people to go they should have given you more money to play with.

if on the other hand it was simply supposed to be a thank you to the most loyal supporters then i think they've got it spot on.

i know there are some people moaning because they got all excited when they heard about this and then weren't so excited when they heard it was the first 350, but it wasn't my intention to start a moany thread!

i was really just wondering what the aim was. an as i say if the aim was to encourage more people along they probably could have given STAR more money.

i don't think anyone who has posted so far is denying that it is a nice gesture and one that will be much appreciated by the 350 who are lucky enough to benefit.

as for me, whether i go to this one depends on who's going really, and if i do go i'll probably go by train as i'm not going to be back in reading at the time. but even from my point of view i still appreciate the gesture from the players, even though i won't stand to directly benefit.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 05 Nov 2007 12:54

Well, with the way this move by the players has been received by the keyboard kunters being well down to the usual standards you'd expect from forum "contributors", that's no doubt the last you'll see of any initiative from them or probably any other party within the club to do anything out of the box for the fans. They'll probably all read this and just think "fcuk 'em" then.
I'll be flying in from Belfast to Manchester on the morning of the game and do you think they offered to pay my airfare? No. Bastards. :roll:

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 05 Nov 2007 12:58

Personally, I think it's a nice gesture but I think the £5,000 would have been better used in providing a discount on the ticket price - perhaps a discount of £5 on the admission for the first 1,000 tickets bought. That way it benefits everyone (especially the ASTH's and the exiles) and not just those who use the coaches.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 05 Nov 2007 13:00

3 veesinarow Well, with the way this move by the players has been received by the keyboard kunters being well down to the usual standards you'd expect from forum "contributors", that's no doubt the last you'll see of any initiative from them or probably any other party within the club to do anything out of the box for the fans. They'll probably all read this and just think "fcuk 'em" then.
I'll be flying in from Belfast to Manchester on the morning of the game and do you think they offered to pay my airfare? No. Bastards. :roll:

They shouldn't EVER read anything on here. Its hardly motivational is it?

FTR A better gesture would be to promise to keep subsidising travel until they win an away game.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Nov 2007 13:46

AndyRFC I'm sure there may be many who have already booked things, who would've liked to take up the offer.

Murked - I've already booked the train up :roll: . Perhaps they can pay for my beer :wink: . Joking aside though, well done RFC players.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 05 Nov 2007 14:15

Good gesture by players, shame STAR have restricted it to benefit their members/customers only.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 05 Nov 2007 14:17

Wow getting on the coach with all the old people with tacky baseball caps really gets my stonker going :lol:

Couldnt a train be provided?!

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 05 Nov 2007 14:21

3 veesinarow Well, with the way this move by the players has been received by the keyboard kunters being well down to the usual standards you'd expect from forum "contributors", that's no doubt the last you'll see of any initiative from them or probably any other party within the club to do anything out of the box for the fans. They'll probably all read this and just think "fcuk 'em" then.

for a start they won't be reading this. secondly nobody's really complaining, i think the general feeling is that with turnout at away games a bit low it might have been an idea to do something that would boost the numbers, which simply would have required a bit more money as Starliason as already explained they have done the best they can with the money they got.

perhaps the message may get back to the club/players that although everyone is very grateful for what they've done, if our away form doesn't improve perhaps it might be an idea to do something to boost the turnout. maybe asking them to lay on 10 free coaches as some have suggested is a bit much, but perhaps the club could splash out next time instead of the players?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2007 14:22

Schards#2 Good gesture by players, shame STAR have restricted it to benefit their members/customers only.

From what I've read the money was offered by the players via STAR so I'm not sure how else it could have been done.

It's going toward coach travel so seems correct to me that those who have taken the time to join the organisation get first dibs.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 05 Nov 2007 14:45

Stranded
Schards#2 Good gesture by players, shame STAR have restricted it to benefit their members/customers only.

From what I've read the money was offered by the players via STAR so I'm not sure how else it could have been done.

It's going toward coach travel so seems correct to me that those who have taken the time to join the organisation get first dibs.

I think discounting the ticket price for the first xxxx would be better and fairer

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2007 15:09

Schards#2
Stranded

I think discounting the ticket price for the first xxxx would be better and fairer

I could be wrong but think there is some rule in place that you have to be a member of the supporters club to travel on the coaches. I think it may be an insurance thing.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 05 Nov 2007 15:15

Stranded
Schards#2
Stranded

I could be wrong but think there is some rule in place that you have to be a member of the supporters club to travel on the coaches. I think it may be an insurance thing.

Sorry, I was being clear, I think they should discount the ticket for the game rather than for the travel as the majority don't go by supporters coach.

As it is, they are just giving a discount to 350 people who would still go anyway.

None of which alters the fact the it is a nice gesture that few players have ever done.

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 05 Nov 2007 15:21

I also understand the STAR hierarchy will be awarding themselves some commemorative badges to mark the occasion too :roll:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2007 15:22

Apologies misread your post.

A discount on the ticket price would have been good esp as it would have gone to those with higher points and thus more away games.

I guess though if the money has been gifted to STAR (if it hasn't, please feel free to correct me) then this is the easiest way to pass on that gift.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Nov 2007 15:31

Stranded Apologies misread your post.

A discount on the ticket price would have been good esp as it would have gone to those with higher points and thus more away games.

I guess though if the money has been gifted to STAR (if it hasn't, please feel free to correct me) then this is the easiest way to pass on that gift.

Agree, it's a nice gesture from the players to STAR, I'm not a member of STAR - (isn't most of the people who travel on these coaches old people and families with young kids?)

Anyway, STAR obviously organised it on behalf of their members, so their members gets the perks.

Seems simple to me.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 05 Nov 2007 15:37

The 350 'lucky souls' will be able to afford better quality soup for their flasks or thicker knee rugs. I agree with Schards- discounted tickets for those travelling from Hampshire by car would have been much appreciated.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Nov 2007 15:40

It's a nice touch by the players to give a little bit back to those who've dragged themselves round the country to give them a bit of support.

£5k isn't a great deal though, I'd imagine they'll spend a lot more on their Xmas do, but it's still a nice gesture.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 05 Nov 2007 15:42

T.R.O.L.I. Personally, I think it's a nice gesture but I think the £5,000 would have been better used in providing a discount on the ticket price - perhaps a discount of £5 on the admission for the first 1,000 tickets bought. That way it benefits everyone (especially the ASTH's and the exiles) and not just those who use the coaches.

Couldn't agree more.

Don't tell RL but I'm FLYING to this one and frankly, I'd sooner lose all my hair than spend a day on a coach to and from Manchester, even if it was free :P

Whilst I can see that the coaches will provide cheap transport for those who would not otherwise be able to afford to go, many fans spend a lot of money traipsing the length and breadth of the country (and regularly come from abroad, too :? ) by various means so surely a ticket subsidy would have benefited everyone rather than just those who use STAR transport.

Nevertheless, thanks to all the players for a very nice gesture that they didn't have to make.

PS. I thinks it a bit of an insult for some to say that 5k is not a lot between them....................it's 5k more than they had to spend subsidizing our travel :?
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 05 Nov 2007 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

124 posts