Despondent

185 posts
sucatraps

by sucatraps » 09 Nov 2007 11:45

Perhaps a whip round...........................?

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 09 Nov 2007 11:54

Behindu His point has also been that in order to take the club to the next level requires a billionaire - and he's only a semi billionaire.

He's not open to offers from anyone, he's looking to find a mega rich person who can do more than he can (and give him a bit of loose change to buy some more cars with....)

To be fair JM has never claimed to be a football person. For him the purchase of RFC was in part benevolent investment, in part good profile-raising for himself. He has stayed the course for a good period of time and done well for the club. Selling to the right successor would be a perfectly understandable thing for him to do.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 09 Nov 2007 14:38

Old Biscuitman
Behindu His point has also been that in order to take the club to the next level requires a billionaire - and he's only a semi billionaire.

He's not open to offers from anyone, he's looking to find a mega rich person who can do more than he can (and give him a bit of loose change to buy some more cars with....)

To be fair JM has never claimed to be a football person. For him the purchase of RFC was in part benevolent investment, in part good profile-raising for himself. He has stayed the course for a good period of time and done well for the club. Selling to the right successor would be a perfectly understandable thing for him to do.

I totally agree, but Mr Madejski has an ego of his own to protect and finding the right buyer for the club will elivate him to legend status (if he isn't there already), whereas selling to the wrong person might damage the reputation he's worked so hard to build.

I'm sure he'll do right by us though.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 09 Nov 2007 15:05

79Royal
Old Biscuitman

I totally agree, but Mr Madejski has an ego of his own to protect and finding the right buyer for the club will elivate him to legend status (if he isn't there already), whereas selling to the wrong person might damage the reputation he's worked so hard to build.

I'm sure he'll do right by us though.

Fair point. Without wanting to seem racist I would like to see him sell the club to a Brit when he does decide the time is right. With foreign owners, foreign players, there won't be too much that's home-grown in top flight football at all very soon. Pity, in my view.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Nov 2007 15:58

sucatraps JM's "the club is available for purchase" comment from many moons ago has more accurate context if you add "for the right price" and is also JM speak for "if you think you can do better for my football club, come on and do it" Seems fair enough to me!

In a more recent interview with the 'Director' magazine he appeared to acknowledge his days are numbered.

He stated that he recognised the time would come when it would be necessary to spend ''serious money and I mean really serious money'' to keep the club in the PL and added ''I don't want to be around when that time comes''.

185 posts