Stewards

124 posts
Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Stewards

by Hugo Boss » 13 Nov 2007 10:38

Anybody else witness the scuffle in the North Stand at half time last night?? Whilst amusing, I couldn't help but watch with bemusement at the lack of input from the stewards.

Do these characters have any form of training in how to deal with hostile situations or is the general rule "If it goes off, just stare at the melee".

Yours,

Confused.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 13 Nov 2007 10:57

I must admit to having a good old LOL at the quality of the stewarding last night, it looked like a mothers meeting outside with four female tango's stood around doing nothing while a bloke gets bundled out of the fire doors. About the most exciting thing that happened all night

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 13 Nov 2007 11:21

Meanwhile it was like a Benny Hill sketch in the SE corner. During the first half at 0-0:
First one steward came up (just as the atmosphere was building) telling everyone to sit down. Ignored.
So then he goes back down and after an emergency meeting at the bottom 2 stewards come up. Ignored.
They go back down (atmosphere actually quite good by now), another conference at the botom, 3 stewards come up. Ignored.
This goes on and on until 6 stewards come up pestering everyone to death, just when it was getting really noisy, everyone sits.
Alas, atmoshphere dies.
Thats when I noticed how cold it was as well.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 13 Nov 2007 11:51

2 stewards were trying to help a number 79 down past the back of the south stand about 5 minutes after the final whistle.

I thought it was their job to STOP traffic for 20 minutes after the game

Skyline

by Skyline » 13 Nov 2007 12:00

There were four Arsenal fans who left the UWest (south side) just after Adebayor had a goal ruled out for offside. Seemed to be a bit of aggro going on with them, but didn't see any stewards involved. Anyone who was closer than us able to shed any light on it?

Isn't it about time the stewards stopped people wearing away colours entering the home stands? I don't mind opposition supporters sitting in the home stands as long as they keep quiet, but wearing oppo team colours is not really on.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 13 Nov 2007 12:10

I LOL'd at a comment from one of the tango's in the East Stand to the chief tango just after the game:

"I'll get him next time".

Nice to see that you're so concerned about doing your job properly that you couldn't be bothered to "get" whoever it was you were after at some stage during the 90 minutes :lol:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 13 Nov 2007 12:15

Skin Meanwhile it was like a Benny Hill sketch in the SE corner. During the first half at 0-0:
First one steward came up (just as the atmosphere was building) telling everyone to sit down. Ignored.
So then he goes back down and after an emergency meeting at the bottom 2 stewards come up. Ignored.
They go back down (atmosphere actually quite good by now), another conference at the botom, 3 stewards come up. Ignored.
This goes on and on until 6 stewards come up pestering everyone to death, just when it was getting really noisy, everyone sits.
Alas, atmoshphere dies.

You might have noticed that the Arsenal fans in the front section of the away end were being pestered all night by the stewards for persistent standing, so it's hardly as if RFC fans were being singled out

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 13 Nov 2007 12:15

T.R.O.L.I. I LOL'd at a comment from one of the tango's in the East Stand to the chief tango just after the game:

"I'll get him next time".

STAR if you want stewards to treat you like human beings and not sh*t then you need to treat them as human beings too.

LOLZ

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 13 Nov 2007 12:17

The FLA must have been in attendance last night - the stewards were more vigorous than usual in getting people to sit down.

Or perhaps they're just twats.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 Nov 2007 12:18

Jerry St Clair The FLA must have been in attendance last night - the stewards were more vigorous than usual in getting people to sit down.

Or perhaps they're just twats.

The FLA are coming down heavy at the moment - beacuse of the political progress being made on the Safe Standing issue.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 13 Nov 2007 12:20

Oh, and I'd like RFC to let me know if they think 10 catering staff stood in the Y23 vomitory watching the game is safer than me standing passively in front of my seat watching the game?

The steward "manning" that area seemed to think so. :roll:

STAR, as before I reiterate my willingness to attend a stewards forum, should one be arranged.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 13 Nov 2007 12:26

Huntley & Palmer so it's hardly as if RFC fans were being singled out

This was not in doubt.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 13 Nov 2007 12:46

Skyline Isn't it about time the stewards stopped people wearing away colours entering the home stands? I don't mind opposition supporters sitting in the home stands as long as they keep quiet, but wearing oppo team colours is not really on.

I'd agree in principle, but the practical issues such as the fact that there are no stewards outside the N and W stand gates and you'd need to stop and search everyone entering cuasing huge delays make it next to impossible.

Anyone sat in home areas wearing away colours should be told to cover them up or leave though...

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 13 Nov 2007 12:59

Behindu [

Anyone sat in home areas wearing away colours should be told to cover them up or leave though...

As I may have quietly and politely intimated to a Scouse bird celebrating 'pool's winner at home last season.

And by quietly and politely, I do, of course, mean loudly and abusively.

And by intimated, I do, of course, mean told in no uncertain terms.

:oops:

Gloria Gooner
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Stewards

by Gloria Gooner » 13 Nov 2007 13:27

Hugo Boss Anybody else witness the scuffle in the North Stand at half time last night?? Whilst amusing, I couldn't help but watch with bemusement at the lack of input from the stewards.

Yes. There only seemed to be one steward working the North stand, as opposed to about 25 in the vicinity of Y25. Not sure how the situation was resolved, but one particular character in a porkpie hat seemed to be heavily involved.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Nov 2007 13:44

Huntley & Palmer
Skin Meanwhile it was like a Benny Hill sketch in the SE corner. During the first half at 0-0:
Alas, atmoshphere dies.

You might have noticed that the Arsenal fans in the front section of the away end were being pestered all night by the stewards for persistent standing, so it's hardly as if RFC fans were being singled out

Good job the Arsenal supporters were rather more obedient than those from Newcastle then wasn't it!

The stewards certainly didn't pester the Geordies for long before they gave up!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Nov 2007 13:54

Jerry St Clair Oh, and I'd like RFC to let me know if they think 10 catering staff stood in the Y23 vomitory watching the game is safer than me standing passively in front of my seat watching the game?

The steward "manning" that area seemed to think so. :roll:

STAR, as before I reiterate my willingness to attend a stewards forum, should one be arranged.
Yes I saw this and noticed they were right in the way of people wishing to walk into the concourse. I thought the catering staff were paid to serve, not watch the game?

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 13 Nov 2007 14:03

I deplore and condemn the behaviour of the Stewards last night. I have lived a few years on this planet and have attended my fair share of football games but just what was happening in the East Stand Y25 just before half time and beyond.

I witnessed at half time one lad approx 16 being interviewed and questioned by 5 Stewards and 3 Tangos. Two of the Stewards had note books (probably with pictures in). The Stewards were "senior" in rank and it was something akin to Pinky and Perky or Micky and Minnie, each were taking there turn at this poor "boy" all for the heinous crime of Standing.

I overheard messrs Pinky and Perky saying to the lad that he had on at least 2 occasions disobeyed an instruction to sit down. As you will all be aware as per previous posting this was at the height of passion or as much passion as we the faithful were going to muster.

FFS, I can imagine all of them going home to "cream themselves silly" over the incident.

For god sake this is a football match in a democratic society not Martial Law. I felt so sorry for this lad it was plain and simple intimidation.

As the second half unwound yet more Stewards were seen at the bottom of Y25 near the exit, these twats were just getting in everyones way and obscuring the views for others and refused to move when asked on several occasions.

In brief I found the Stewarding last night pathetic and hope that these fully grown primates take a good hard look in the mirror. I heard Murtz this am on BBCRB talking about fans making a difference and making an observation that the players want the MS to be an intimidating place to come, well I've got news for Murtz, it is intimidating but as that lad found out, the intimidation comes from the Stewards.

Murtz if only you knew!!!!!!!!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Stewards

by Silver Fox » 13 Nov 2007 14:15

Gloria Gooner
Hugo Boss Anybody else witness the scuffle in the North Stand at half time last night?? Whilst amusing, I couldn't help but watch with bemusement at the lack of input from the stewards.

Yes. There only seemed to be one steward working the North stand, as opposed to about 25 in the vicinity of Y25. Not sure how the situation was resolved, but one particular character in a porkpie hat seemed to be heavily involved.

Indeed, with silly flashing glasses on top, not sure if this was why someone decided to have a pop at him, or if that was because he'd allegedly decided to have a bit of a dig at a young girl.

Most entertaining by product of this little bit of nonsense was the North Stand running out of pass-out tickets as many non-smokers rushed out to see what was going on (you know who you are :lol: )

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 13 Nov 2007 14:34

Who'd do a thing like that!! :lol:

124 posts