The Hunt vs Convey debate

starbug

by starbug » 27 Dec 2007 09:06

Convey makes Hunt look like Ronaldo, even if Hunt has a bad game he still influences the game, stil gets involved while Convey is yet again the Invisible man and we are carrying him.

Coppell obviously notices as well now, good move bringing him off after 65 mins yesterday, we didn't need him setting up any more goals for the opposition :shock:

Maybe its time to put Hunt back on the left and give Oster a reprive ? He cant give us any less than Mr Invisible... roll on the transfer window...

peckhamwolf

by peckhamwolf » 27 Dec 2007 09:26

Oster a reprieve. I don't know much (obviously) but surely injury could be a problem ?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Dec 2007 09:27

How long has Hunt been playing regularly?

How long has Convey been playing regularly?

How many Premiership starts has Hunt had?

How many Premiership starts has Convey had?

I'm not saying who is more worthy of their place but it is unfair to judge Convey when he has not long returned from a serious injury which kept him out nearly all of last season and a fair amount of this.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 27 Dec 2007 09:27

Oster deserves nothing other than a contract termination

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Dec 2007 09:28

Oster is injured.

How anyone in their right mind can say that Hunt and Oster make a better combination than Convey and Hunt, I will never know. I'll concede Convey isn't up to his best form, but I'd far far rather have him playing as he can turn a game and has flashes of brilliance. Oster - well, doesn't.

Hunt has been useful as a penalty taker, but he runs around like a little terrier most of the time and sometimes doesn't do much more than that imho.

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 27 Dec 2007 09:30

peckhamwolf Oster a reprieve.

I'd rather switch both of my eyeballs for cleggnuts, at least Convey will try his best for 90 minutes and I still think Bobby has got more to show.

Anyway, we'll have Hunt and Stelios in Jan + possibly the option of Taylor on the wing if the rumours are to be believed.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 27 Dec 2007 10:17

As I said over on player ratings. Downes, Coppell and Dillion looked like they wanted to deck Convey when he came off.

He pulled out of every single challenge yesterday, including a 60/40 in his favour just before he was pulled off.

Coppell is never going to pick a player who pulls out of tackles over a player like Hunt and rightly so.

Hunt is 100x the player Convey is and if Convey doesn't sort his game out he won't stay here long. As I said Coppell is not going to have players pulling out of tackles and so he shouldn't. It's not acceptable at this level.

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 27 Dec 2007 10:21

who cares?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 27 Dec 2007 10:23

I like Convey therefore Hunt's crap...

or

I like Hunt therefore Convey's crap...

What a load of old rubbish.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Dec 2007 10:24

Diddyroyal who cares?

Supporters of Reading Football Club.

Although that is just a guess..... :wink:

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 27 Dec 2007 10:26

Wycombe Royal
Diddyroyal who cares?

Supporters of Reading Football Club.

Although that is just a guess..... :wink:

what is the point of topic?

convey v hunt? why exactly?

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 27 Dec 2007 10:26

readingbedding I like Convey therefore Hunt's crap...

or

I like Hunt therefore Convey's crap...

What a load of old rubbish.

exactly

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 27 Dec 2007 10:30

Ideal
Diddyroyal what is the point of topic?

The point is a lot of people on here have been spouting their mindless drivel saying that Convey should be the prefered choice ahead of Hunt, when quite clearly Hunt is 100 times the player Convey could ever dream of being. At the same time these morons are slating Hunt every chance they get saying he's a thug, headless chicken, etcetera.

In ten years the same wakners that slate him now will be saying Hunt was a legend.

but they are both playing....

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 27 Dec 2007 10:32

Diddyroyal
Ideal

The point is a lot of people on here have been spouting their mindless drivel saying that Convey should be the prefered choice ahead of Hunt, when quite clearly Hunt is 100 times the player Convey could ever dream of being. At the same time these morons are slating Hunt every chance they get saying he's a thug, headless chicken, etcetera.

In ten years the same wakners that slate him now will be saying Hunt was a legend.

But we'll sign a right winger in Jan. So this is a pretty major debate.

Well in fact it's not, cause we all know who Coppell will pick.

Lock this thread!!

:lol:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 27 Dec 2007 10:43

I don't think Convey is contributing enough to warrent a place at the moment. We are not in a position where we can carry any pasengers at all.

I'd like to see Doyle right/Lita up front or just Long for Convey and see how it works

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Dec 2007 10:56

Hunt is in another little rich vein of form right now, bit like the few games of the season, but he still shows flashes of ineptitude. A perfect example was during yesterdays game when, following two or three passes and a lovely lay off from Kitson Hunt completely miss-controlled the ball and ran it out of play.

Convey has that extra quality over Hunt and is a lot less likely to waste a good opportunity in the oppositions half BUT Hunt is invaluable at the moment for his energy and drive he adds to the team.

As ever, it's about getting the balance right in the side. You couldn't play two Convey's in our wide positions in the same way that you couldn't play two Hunts. Both midfields would be in effectual at this level.

Not sure I agree that Convey was pulling out of every tackle, but he was pretty anonymous after the sending off.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 27 Dec 2007 11:11

Hoop Blah Hunt is in another little rich vein of form right now, bit like the few games of the season, but he still shows flashes of ineptitude. A perfect example was during yesterdays game when, following two or three passes and a lovely lay off from Kitson Hunt completely miss-controlled the ball and ran it out of play.

Convey has that extra quality over Hunt and is a lot less likely to waste a good opportunity in the oppositions half BUT Hunt is invaluable at the moment for his energy and drive he adds to the team.

As ever, it's about getting the balance right in the side. You couldn't play two Convey's in our wide positions in the same way that you couldn't play two Hunts. Both midfields would be in effectual at this level.

Not sure I agree that Convey was pulling out of every tackle, but he was pretty anonymous after the sending off.

I do like Convey. It's when you look at Hunt's effect on the game compared to Convey.

For me though, Convey and Hunt as your 1st and 2nd choice left wingers, is a pretty good combination. If we were losing, Convey could come on and really open up games. If we get a really good right winger in Jan (not a Bolton reserve either) the combo of Hunt/Convey and great right winger/Henry is a good set of wingers. Add a quality box to box player like Sean Davies and our midfield starts to look very strong, having looked very weak just a few months back.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Dec 2007 12:48

Diddyroyal
Ideal

They are only both playing because we don't have a right-winger.
When we get somebody better than Stelios to play wide right it is a genuine argument about who plays on the left.
Personally I would prefer Matty Taylor or Andrew Surman ahead of either of them but at the moment the commitment and heart of Hunt outweighs the delicate touch (and the delicate tackling) of Convey.

I think we could do with real pace out wide and if we get that on the right we can balance it with a more orthodox left-half type of player on the left in the Gareth Barry mould and either Surman or Taylor could fit the bill.

For the moment IMHO there is no contest between Hunt and Convey.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 27 Dec 2007 12:56

Hoop Blah Hunt is in another little rich vein of form right now, bit like the few games of the season, but he still shows flashes of ineptitude. A perfect example was during yesterdays game when, following two or three passes and a lovely lay off from Kitson Hunt completely miss-controlled the ball and ran it out of play.

Perhaps not but in order to pull out of a tackle you have to get reasonably close. If we had another wide player on the bench yesterday, Coppell could have swapped him for Convey and we would have been no worse off

Convey has extra quality over Hunt! Do me a favour. In the last few games he has wasted more opportunities than the number of bad decisions that have gone against Roy Keane :)

Everyone acknowledges Hunt's work rate but there is much more to his game than that, he is quite often the most creative player we have.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Dec 2007 13:31

Both Hunt and Convey are decent players. Since Convey has come back into the side results have improved. Its not obviously down to him as overall his performances have been mediocre but playing with two wide players does give the team more balance and we look a better side for it.
Convey will probably not be fully match fit for a few more weeks yet but he is good enough and bright enough to contribute to the team.
Hunt is playing very well at the moment...but was nothing special earlier on in the season when he made little impact. He is skilful but sometimes runs down blind avenues and he has not had that many assists to his name. Even so as with Convey he offers the team an outlet and deserves his place in the side.
Barring injury and suspension both will remain in the side whilst we remain unbeaten with or without new signings.