The Hunt vs Convey debate

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 Dec 2007 13:39

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe As I said over on player ratings. Downes, Coppell and Dillion looked like they wanted to deck Convey when he came off.

He pulled out of every single challenge yesterday, including a 60/40 in his favour just before he was pulled off.

Coppell is never going to pick a player who pulls out of tackles over a player like Hunt and rightly so.

Hunt is 100x the player Convey is and if Convey doesn't sort his game out he won't stay here long. As I said Coppell is not going to have players pulling out of tackles and so he shouldn't. It's not acceptable at this level.

Kitson when he came back after his broken leg was scared of tackles

Now we're scared of his tackles

Give Convey time

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 27 Dec 2007 13:45

PEARCEY Both Hunt and Convey are decent players. Since Convey has come back into the side results have improved. Its not obviously down to him as overall his performances have been mediocre but playing with two wide players does give the team more balance and we look a better side for it.
Convey will probably not be fully match fit for a few more weeks yet but he is good enough and bright enough to contribute to the team.
Hunt is playing very well at the moment...but was nothing special earlier on in the season when he made little impact. He is skilful but sometimes runs down blind avenues and he has not had that many assists to his name. Even so as with Convey he offers the team an outlet and deserves his place in the side.
Barring injury and suspension both will remain in the side whilst we remain unbeaten with or without new signings.

You are quite right that Convey's inclusion has coincided with a good run of form but it's just that - a coincidence. We do look better balanced with two wide men, but that's about as far as it goes.

Also, I am sure you are right about Convey staying in the team for now, but it's only beacuse there is no alternative wide player

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Dec 2007 13:59

bcubed You are quite right that Convey's inclusion has coincided with a good run of form but it's just that - a coincidence. We do look better balanced with two wide men, but that's about as far as it goes.

Surely Convey has added that better balance though? That's not coincidence.

bcubed Perhaps not but in order to pull out of a tackle you have to get reasonably close. If we had another wide player on the bench yesterday, Coppell could have swapped him for Convey and we would have been no worse off

Convey has extra quality over Hunt! Do me a favour. In the last few games he has wasted more opportunities than the number of bad decisions that have gone against Roy Keane :)

Everyone acknowledges Hunt's work rate but there is much more to his game than that, he is quite often the most creative player we have.

There is more to Hunts game than pure work rate and an ability to wind up the opposition but Convey is more consistent with the ball than Hunt is. Convey isn't the best crosser of the ball but he has more vision and a better touch than Hunt and you're a lot more likely to see Hunt miss-control or shin it into the stand than Convey do the same.

Having said that it's Hunt who has bought more to the last couple of games than Convey, who was probably the better of the two when he first came back into the side and was playing on adrenalin.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Dec 2007 14:01

bcubed
PEARCEY Both Hunt and Convey are decent players. Since Convey has come back into the side results have improved. Its not obviously down to him as overall his performances have been mediocre but playing with two wide players does give the team more balance and we look a better side for it.
Convey will probably not be fully match fit for a few more weeks yet but he is good enough and bright enough to contribute to the team.
Hunt is playing very well at the moment...but was nothing special earlier on in the season when he made little impact. He is skilful but sometimes runs down blind avenues and he has not had that many assists to his name. Even so as with Convey he offers the team an outlet and deserves his place in the side.
Barring injury and suspension both will remain in the side whilst we remain unbeaten with or without new signings.

You are quite right that Convey's inclusion has coincided with a good run of form but it's just that - a coincidence. We do look better balanced with two wide men, but that's about as far as it goes.

Also, I am sure you are right about Convey staying in the team for now, but it's only beacuse there is no alternative wide player

Give him time. He showed against Liverpool that he has ability. We have always known he was a bit lightweight and is never going to be a tough tackling type of player.
However he is a good crosser and passer of the ball. He was poor yesterday but dont forget his career was in serious jeopardy a few short months ago and I am not convinced he is fully fit yet.
Convey is good enough...a decent run in the side will show that IMO.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 27 Dec 2007 14:05

Schards#2 I don't think Convey is contributing enough to warrent a place at the moment. We are not in a position where we can carry any pasengers at all.

I'd like to see Doyle right/Lita up front or just Long for Convey and see how it works

Yep makes sense to me.

Bobby really has not performed and has yet to prove that he is a prem player.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Dec 2007 14:08

biscuitsrus
Schards#2 I don't think Convey is contributing enough to warrent a place at the moment. We are not in a position where we can carry any pasengers at all.

I'd like to see Doyle right/Lita up front or just Long for Convey and see how it works

Yep makes sense to me.

Bobby really has not performed and has yet to prove that he is a prem player.

Breaking up the Kitson/Doyle partnership which has been so effective recently would be a big mistake.

The midfield looked all over the place for so long, with so many different options tried on the right, that I see no reason to juggle it about if we dont have to. Cisse in for Gunnarsson with Rosenior on the bench incase Coppell wants to push Hunt into the centre of the park will do for me.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Dec 2007 14:33

Huntley & Palmer Oster deserves nothing other than a contract termination

Agreed.

As far as Convey V Hunt goes, Convey is the more intelligent player, Hunt is the better battler and both are working very well at the moment. For what it's worth I think Hunt actually operates better on the right where he can cut in. Our problems lie in the centre of midfield.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Dec 2007 15:18

I see, lets stop Hunt bashing and make up for it by Convey bashing.

oxf*rd.

The lack of patience and reasoning skills in football fans is astounding.

To those who suggest dropping Convey and breaking up our striker partnership...

Are you mad? The strikers are really starting to link up and play well together. They are causing defenders all sorts of problems. You don't solve an almost non-existant problem by dismantling the most effective part of the team.

Sheer idiocy.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Dec 2007 15:24

Ian Royal I see, lets stop Hunt bashing and make up for it by Convey bashing.

oxf*rd.

The lack of patience and reasoning skills in football fans is astounding.

To those who suggest dropping Convey and breaking up our striker partnership...

Are you mad? The strikers are really starting to link up and play well together. They are causing defenders all sorts of problems. You don't solve an almost non-existant problem by dismantling the most effective part of the team.

Sheer idiocy.

Spot on Ian.

glosson

by glosson » 27 Dec 2007 15:58

I don't understand....am I allowed to like both Convey AND Hunt? Is that ok?
Convey's form will sort out as he gets back in shape and worries less about hurting himself again. Hunt is an insane little bastard and I love watching him play.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Dec 2007 16:04

glosson I don't understand....am I allowed to like both Convey AND Hunt? Is that ok?
Convey's form will sort out as he gets back in shape and worries less about hurting himself again. Hunt is an insane little bastard and I love watching him play.

Yes you are allowed to like both of them as they are not currently in direct competition for the left wing berth. Of course the club may sign a right winger in January but it doesn't mean the new signing will waltz into the side.
For now the team look a better balanced side with Convey on the left and Hunt on the right irrespective of whether Convey can tackle like Norman bite your legs Hunter..

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 27 Dec 2007 16:07

Convey is the more technical player, Hunt is the grafter.

Convey is lacking in form, confidence and fitness after spending a long time out with an injury. Hunt is on the top of his game due to the consistency of games he has played.

Convey has gotten a not insignificant amount of assists since coming back so to say he's not contributing is slightly disingenuous.

Also Hunt had a dip in form just before Convey came back into contention, I have to wonder if his current form has to do with making sure he keeps his place after the january window...

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 27 Dec 2007 16:17

i love hunt
i hate convey
convey is intelligent
hunt is stupid
convey has nice hair
hunt has bad hair
convey is american
hunt is irish
hunt is in form
convey isn't in form

Right little tear-up in here isn't it.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 27 Dec 2007 16:20

readingbedding i love hunt
i hate convey
convey is intelligent
hunt is stupid
convey has nice hair
hunt has bad hair
convey is american
hunt is irish
hunt is in form
convey isn't in form

Personally I like them both but on current form I'd rather Hunt was in the side if we sign a right midfielder who proves a better option.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Dec 2007 16:26

zac naloen
i hate convey
convey is intelligent
hunt is stupid
convey has nice hair
hunt has bad hair
convey is american
hunt is irish
hunt is in form
convey isn't in form

Personally I like them both but on current form I'd rather Hunt was in the side.

Yes but there is room in the side for both to play particularly as Hunt has hit his best form playing right flank. Convey needs a run of games. There are some people on here with short memories. To say that Convey is a poor crosser is rubbish. Look at the many many quality crosses he produced in the Championship winning season.
Before some of you go on about the fact he is unproven in the Premiership you may remember him playing well in the 2006 World Cup finals...including against the eventual champions.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 27 Dec 2007 16:27

Royal Lady Oster is injured.

How anyone in their right mind can say that Hunt and Oster make a better combination than Convey and Hunt, I will never know. I'll concede Convey isn't up to his best form, but I'd far far rather have him playing as he can turn a game and has flashes of brilliance. Oster - well, doesn't.

Hunt has been useful as a penalty taker, but he runs around like a little terrier most of the time and sometimes doesn't do much more than that imho.

..and how humble (and valueless) your opinion obviously is then.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 27 Dec 2007 16:30

PEARCEY
zac naloen
i hate convey
convey is intelligent
hunt is stupid
convey has nice hair
hunt has bad hair
convey is american
hunt is irish
hunt is in form
convey isn't in form

Personally I like them both but on current form I'd rather Hunt was in the side.

Yes but there is room in the side for both to play particularly as Hunt has hit his best form playing right flank. Convey needs a run of games. There are some people on here with short memories. To say that Convey is a poor crosser is rubbish. Look at the many many quality crosses he produced in the Championship winning season.
Before some of you go on about the fact he is unproven in the Premiership you may remember him playing well in the 2006 World Cup finals...including against the eventual champions.

I agree with you, that's why I said on current form.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Dec 2007 16:33

zac naloen
PEARCEY
zac naloen
i hate convey
convey is intelligent
hunt is stupid
convey has nice hair
hunt has bad hair
convey is american
hunt is irish
hunt is in form
convey isn't in form

I agree with you, that's why I said on current form.

Dont worry Zac I was not disagreeing with what you said but repeating what I have said on here before. There is room for both of them in the side and it has done no harm at all to Hunt playing on the right hand side.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 27 Dec 2007 17:37

Convey's play will improve. I like both Hunt and Convey. With both of them in the side we are in the midst of our best run of games against very tough competition. Long may it continue!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 27 Dec 2007 17:38

i hate convey
convey is intelligent
hunt is stupid
convey has nice hair
hunt has bad hair
convey is american
hunt is irish
hunt is in form