Is the 'reserve' team better than the first team?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 05 Jan 2008 21:54

:lol:

Fae better than Harps? That a classic. I thought Winchester would be fuming Henry wasn't on the bench.

Today showed we have some solid squad players, none of whom would get in the starting 11 when everyone is fit. Though Hunty and even Convey looked a level above all our other players.

Bikey looks to have so much potential, but is still so raw. Which when you look at how many clubs he's been at at such a young age is understandable really.

Again I hoped to see more form Rosenior, but he didn't really show too much.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 05 Jan 2008 22:02

Thought De La Cruz was class today tbh....

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 05 Jan 2008 22:30

zac naloen It has been my opinion for a long while (mostly unspoken) that Bikey is one of the best defenders at the club.

He needs Wally Downes to beat him on the back of the calf with a big stick every time he makes a mistake on the training field, until he learns to concentrate. I really rate Bikey, but he made seveal really sloppy/lazy mistakes in the first half, when instead of playing a simple clearance, he tried something silly - a drag-back, or trying to dribble passed Malbronque - and lost the ball in a dangerous position. When he's focussed, he's really good - like when he robbed Keane practically on the goal-line, and then dribbled the ball out to the corner flag, passed two players, before playing a lovely ball to DLC to start another attack. He just really needs to concentrate more, and he could easily be our best player.

I really think he desperately wants to play in midfield, not defence.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 06 Jan 2008 00:23

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe :lol:

Fae better than Harps? That a classic. I thought Winchester would be fuming Henry wasn't on the bench.

Today showed we have some solid squad players, none of whom would get in the starting 11 when everyone is fit. Though Hunty and even Convey looked a level above all our other players.

Bikey looks to have so much potential, but is still so raw. Which when you look at how many clubs he's been at at such a young age is understandable really.

when i say fae is better than harps, i mean potentially......give fae 6 months and i think he will be a vital part of our team

as for your comment on henry, i did my fuming yesterday when coppell said that no youngsters would be in the starting 11, its irrelevant who is on the bench because the chances of any subs being made are nil, as copps showed today

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 06 Jan 2008 14:12

winchester_royal

when i say fae is better than harps, i mean potentially......give fae 6 months and i think he will be a vital part of our team

as for your comment on henry, i did my fuming yesterday when coppell said that no youngsters would be in the starting 11, its irrelevant who is on the bench because the chances of any subs being made are nil, as copps showed today

I reckon in 6 months he'll be back playing in France.

:wink:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Is the 'reserve' team better than the first team?

by Millsy » 06 Jan 2008 15:58

winchester_royal After another excellent performance by the reserve team in a cup competition, i have found myself asking whether the cup team is better than the team which plays in the league

obviouslt there are exceptions, such as kits, shorey and hunty, but otherwise i think the reserve players are better

Good thread. Whilst I happen to disagree with the player to player comparisons, you raise an interesting point that I think few can disagree with: our reserve players are very good competition for the regulars and I don't think there's a single player who can assume his position is safe.

Let's hope we can add significantly bto this good but small squad in the next few days!

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 06 Jan 2008 16:08

2 world wars, 1 world cup
winchester_royal After another excellent performance by the reserve team in a cup competition, i have found myself asking whether the cup team is better than the team which plays in the league

obviouslt there are exceptions, such as kits, shorey and hunty, but otherwise i think the reserve players are better

Good thread. Whilst I happen to disagree with the player to player comparisons, you raise an interesting point that I think few can disagree with: our reserve players are very good competition for the regulars and I don't think there's a single player who can assume his position is safe.

Let's hope we can add significantly bto this good but small squad in the next few days!
Actually I don't think the squad's all that small. It seems to be about average for the league. We have a lot of players who are on a very similar level, and I'm not sure we need more of the same. What we really need is one or two who are a cut above what we've got, particularly in central defence and central midfield. Sort those out, and I'm inclined to think the right side will take care of itself from the resources we have.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 06 Jan 2008 16:18

Arch

Actually I don't think the squad's all that small. It seems to be about average for the league. We have a lot of players who are on a very similar level, and I'm not sure we need more of the same. What we really need is one or two who are a cut above what we've got, particularly in central defence and central midfield. Sort those out, and I'm inclined to think the right side will take care of itself from the resources we have.

I'd certainly agree with that. Once this season is out of the way, its time to push the squad on a level and you have to start bringing in better players and have more competition for places.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 06 Jan 2008 16:46

The key here is Coppell's comment, noted in today's Press, that he has 20 players all capable of, and dying to, play in the starting XI. These "x" is better than "y" remarks are pretty meaningless except in extreme comparisons such as "Shorey is better than Golbourne".

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 06 Jan 2008 16:53

papereyes
Arch

I'd certainly agree with that. Once this season is out of the way, its time to push the squad on a level and you have to start bringing in better players and have more competition for places.

What resources? We don't have a right winger in the club. It's like people in the summer saying we didn't need to replace Sid.

This squad doesn't need much, but at least one right winger is a massive most.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 06 Jan 2008 16:57

It's like people in the summer saying we didn't need to replace Sid.

One - that still makes me smile. Then frown.

Two - I was agreeing with the idea that we now need players who are a cut above. I take it as a given that we need, need, NEED a quality right winger.

murts_the_god

by murts_the_god » 06 Jan 2008 19:42

towserSL2crew De La Cruz has been ignored too often I feel and Ive always rated him , today he showed again he is a far better player than Murts ( sorry Murts fans ). Bikey starts games running round like Jones off Dads Army ( dont panic , dont panic ) but then settles very well and looks good pushing forward.Leroy did ok on his own a lot as Shane played wide a lot of the time.All in all a great battling game , hope Doobs is ok and again well done no.13 outsung those cockerny geezas.

totally agree apart from the bit about lita i have in the past said that he is a greedy ball hog and i stand by what i have always said i must have seen him pass the ball 3 maybe 4 times all game, and i personally thought that fed had a blinding game and neither goals were his fault as one was a penalty and the other was offside again!!!!, and i think he deserves a start in the first team .

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 Jan 2008 20:20

Arch

A very good point Arch.
We are just 5 points off the relegation spot so we do need players coming in to IMPROVE on what we have got and not just be further back-up players.
Incidentally although this was called our reserves side ALL of these have played at least one first team game this season and in most cases quite a lot more.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jan 2008 20:40

winchester_royal

potential my arse. Harper is twice the player Fae is now and is always going to be better.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Jan 2008 21:09

Victor Meldrew
Arch

A very good point Arch.
We are just 5 points off the relegation spot so we do need players coming in to IMPROVE on what we have got and not just be further back-up players.
Incidentally although this was called our reserves side ALL of these have played at least one first team game this season and in most cases quite a lot more.

Yes I agree Arch with the players being on a similar level. Perhaps that's why the reserve side is just as good. We need to bring in a couple of definite starters so that th reserves really do become reserves.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 06 Jan 2008 21:24

Mr Coppell obvioulsy doesn't agree with this as the likes of Federici, Bikey, De La Cruz, Rosenior, Fae, Cisse, Lita and Long haven't looked close to forcing the manager into changind his first choice eleven.

We've had some horry performances and some runs of games where the team have looked out of depth but not one of these players offering such strong competition have had a sniff of first team action.

That's not knocking the players or Coppell, but I think our strongest eleven pretty much picks itself. These cup games offer the back up players a chance to prove their worth, and they've always done reasonably well, but they still look better than the first eleven.