Safe-Standing Areas

Should safe-standing areas be allowed at Tier 1 and 2 football clubs?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 132
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Safe-Standing Areas

by Dirk Gently » 10 Jan 2008 10:50

To balance up the other poll ....

Do you support the introduction of relatively small, properly designed, safe-standing areasat football grounds, in order to allow those who want to stand to do so and those who want to remain seated to do so?

NWL Royal

by NWL Royal » 10 Jan 2008 11:23

Thank you for balancing it up Dirk :wink:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Jan 2008 11:45

If I am brutally honest I don't think it would be worthwhile from my perspective, don't think I would go there. I enjoy sitting down with the odd moment of standing and gesticulating thrown in. As an idea for football fans as a whole, definitely for it as there would be enough demand there.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 10 Jan 2008 12:15

Huntley & Palmer If I am brutally honest I don't think it would be worthwhile from my perspective, don't think I would go there. I enjoy sitting down with the odd moment of standing and gesticulating thrown in.

That's because you're getting on a bit. :wink:

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 10 Jan 2008 13:02

I would love to have terracing back at football so generally would be in favour of standing areas.

It's the "safe" bit of the terminology that concerns me though. I have visions of some soft material to stop any injuries should someone fall obviously. It will also be covered in squared grids with spaces allocated similarly to seats. :roll:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 10 Jan 2008 13:03

Hugo Boss I would love to have terracing back at football so generally would be in favour of standing areas.

It's the "safe" bit of the terminology that concerns me though. I have visions of some soft material to stop any injuries should someone fall obviously. It will also be covered in squared grids with spaces allocated similarly to seats. :roll:

No it would be a giant bouncy castle.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict

by T.R.O.L.I. » 10 Jan 2008 13:05

Vision
Hugo Boss I would love to have terracing back at football so generally would be in favour of standing areas.

At least you could then have a giant bundle when your team score.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 10 Jan 2008 13:07

T.R.O.L.I.
Vision

At least you could then have a giant bundle when your team score.

It would, however, leave you even more deflated when you concede.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 10 Jan 2008 14:32

I wouldn't use it, but I'd like standing areas brought in so that the constant whining about being told to sit down by stewards would stop.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 10 Jan 2008 15:30

YEah, why not? Although I'd stay in my seat, just to keep Hunts company!

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 10 Jan 2008 16:52

I'm very much in favour of standing areas but if for instance this was employed at the madstad and in the north stand, I'm not sure I'd use it. I want the atmosphere 1st and the stand would be a bonus.

Now, if it was in the East stand then yes please, I'd love it, LOVE IT!

working class hero

by working class hero » 10 Jan 2008 18:47

I don't think it will happen - but would be in favour. I would hope it would not be all ST as some games I would like to stand [if family away]. Also may be hard to design in the current bowl whilst avoiding people getting in sight lines of those behind. For me maximum benefit of standing is being able to get right on the backes of players at corners etc - so being at the back of a stand seems a soft option.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 10 Jan 2008 19:37

How about the giant bouncy castle idea? Would be great IMO

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict

by T.R.O.L.I. » 11 Jan 2008 07:16

I see the current poll stands at 89% in favour - no doubt pauLOLtheroyaLOL will soon teel us that 89% does not mean most people surveyed would prefer to stand at football...

working class hero

by working class hero » 11 Jan 2008 12:30

T.R.O.L.I. I see the current poll stands at 89% in favour - no doubt pauLOLtheroyaLOL will soon teel us that 89% does not mean most people surveyed would prefer to stand at football...

What it means is that 59 people who replied are in favour.

What it does not mean is that a majority of all fans are in favour. It is an interesting poll - but ultimately meaningless.

Indeed if you choose to define 'surveyed' as meaning the membership of HNA [or even those who have read the thread] then the figure would be a great deal lower than 89%.

Skyline

by Skyline » 11 Jan 2008 12:35

T.R.O.L.I. I see the current poll stands at 89% in favour - no doubt pauLOLtheroyaLOL will soon teel us that 89% does not mean most people surveyed would prefer to stand at football...

Well I know for sure of at least one person who voted in favour of standing areas being re-introduced, yet much prefers to sit down at football.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Jan 2008 12:38

Skyline

Well I know for sure of at least one person who voted in favour of standing areas being re-introduced, yet much prefers to sit down at football.

And that includes me. I'm old enough now to prefer to stand, but just because you won't use a facility yourself doesn't mean that you can't see why it's needed or the benefit that it will bring to everyone - not just those who will use it.

This poll is specifically and deliberately NOT asking "do you want to stand up at matches?"

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 11 Jan 2008 12:42

Dirk Gently
Skyline

And that includes me. I'm old enough now to prefer to stand, but just because you won't use a facility yourself doesn't mean that you can't see why it's needed or the benefit that it will bring to everyone - not just those who will use it.

This poll is specifically and deliberately NOT asking "do you want to stand up at matches?"

If only you had some nationwide poll showing whether football fans did actually want standing, eh Dirk.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 Jan 2008 13:16

I voted yes, doesn't mean I'd prefer to stand at football

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 11 Jan 2008 13:39

Does somebody know where to find the picture of the German safe-standing section that was posted on here a few months back? I don't have internet access from my work desk at the moment, so I haven't got time to google it.