Coppell Out

Should SC be sacked?

Poll ended at 22 Jan 2008 19:26
Yes
6%
No
86%
Give him another x games ... but his days are numbered.
7%

Total votes: 206
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 12 Jan 2008 21:18

Forbury Lion Those who think we should sack Coppell should consider this.

If struggle to attract new players then what makes you think we will have any better luck attracting a new manager to a club that struggles to attract players?

But then they'd have nothing to jerk their knees at!

Oi Oi Saveloy
Location: Going crackers for Cararcas, or bonkers for Belgium

by Oi Oi Saveloy » 12 Jan 2008 21:20

We need to be realistic. First of all, as Dirk mentions, we do have limitations financially. This may be frustrtaing, but it was these foundations that got us here after all those years of trying.

We should also recognise the fact that this team, as much as it has served us well, is coming to the end of it's shelf life. Certain players are not what they were, and others have potentially got their eye on bigger and better things elsewhere in new surroundings.

All teams will go through this phase, it is not the managers fault, and all he can do is try and make the best of it and we need to give him time to sort it out. Coppells first full season in charge did not live up to expectations, and I think it is a measure of how far the club has come that the supporters are judging SC to this extent at the moment.

He needs time to sort it out and build a new team, and that doesn't mean signing a player for the sake of it. Fulham signed a load of players at the start of the seaons, and there were a couple, at that stage I would have loved to see her (Danny Murphy, SImon Davies) but in hindsight look at where Reading & Fulham are in the league at the moment and I doubt anyone on her would trade positions with them at the moment.

In short, keep up the good work Steve

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 12 Jan 2008 21:21

It is time that Coppelll brought young players through, he has been here long enough for something to come through the Academy, but nothing at all, we are not in a position to buy our way to Prem success, we need home grown, and we see none of it, despite all the money we pay the Academy guys. Sadly I am now seriously worried about prm survival.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 12 Jan 2008 21:24

:cry:

In that case let us become a real community club, lets expand to 36k and push on fromthere.cheaper seats and all.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 12 Jan 2008 21:26

MODS SERIOUSLY YOUR GOING TO LET THIS STAY ON HERE???!!!!I KNOW THIS IN BLOCK CAPITALS I THINK IT WARANTS IT HOW CAN YOU GIVE A THREAD LIKE THIS THE TIME OF DAY!!!!?????

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Jan 2008 21:26

Indeed, and this whole "taken us as far as he can" crap does my little head in.

Smallish teams who part company with long-standing managers who have consistently performed above normal expectations pretty quickly get a nasty wake-up call.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Jan 2008 21:26

The 17 Bus In that case let us become a real community club, lets expand to 36k and push on fromthere.cheaper seats and all.

That is a good point I have forgotten - our relegation would mean that the ludicrous stadium expansion plans would surely be shelved :D

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 12 Jan 2008 21:27

Royal Rother Indeed, and this whole "taken us as far as he can" crap does my little head in.

Smallish teams who part company with long-standing managers who have consistently performed above normal expectations pretty quickly get a nasty wake-up call.

You mean like Charlton and Bolton, not to mention fulham

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Jan 2008 21:29

Drew_3 MODS SERIOUSLY YOUR GOING TO LET THIS STAY ON HERE???!!!!I KNOW THIS IN BLOCK CAPITALS I THINK IT WARANTS IT HOW CAN YOU GIVE A THREAD LIKE THIS THE TIME OF DAY!!!!?????

Quite agree, we want to stifle any discussion as to the club's future. All current employees have exceeded expectation thus far and should be sanctified.

Disclaimer - I voted no.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Jan 2008 21:33

The 17 Bus
Royal Rother Indeed, and this whole "taken us as far as he can" crap does my little head in.

and Sheff Utd, Derby to an extent and even Birmingham... all in the last year (or so).

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 12 Jan 2008 21:33

floyd__streete
Drew_3 MODS SERIOUSLY YOUR GOING TO LET THIS STAY ON HERE???!!!!I KNOW THIS IN BLOCK CAPITALS I THINK IT WARANTS IT HOW CAN YOU GIVE A THREAD LIKE THIS THE TIME OF DAY!!!!?????

Quite agree, we want to stifle any discussion as to the club's future. All current employees have exceeded expectation thus far and should be sanctified.

Disclaimer - I voted no.

come on i thinks it is fairly obvious the whole reason this message board is here is to discuss the past, present and future happenings of the club, but seriously "should coppell be sacked"makes me feel sick to think people like this topic starter call themselves fans!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 12 Jan 2008 21:34

Drew_3
floyd__streete

Disclaimer - I voted no.

come on i thinks it is fairly obvious the whole reason this message board is here is to discuss the past, present and future happenings of the club, but seriously "should coppell be sacked"makes me feel sick to think people like this topic starter call themselves fans!

That's your opinion

Their opinion is different

This is a discussion board and however ludicrous someone's point may be, they have a right to say it.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 12 Jan 2008 21:34

Royal Rother
The 17 Bus

and Sheff Utd, Derby to an extent and even Birmingham... all in the last year (or so).

Agreed is bloody madness

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Jan 2008 21:35

Drew_3 come on i thinks it is fairly obvious the whole reason this message board is here is to discuss the past, present and future happenings of the club, but seriously "should coppell be sacked"makes me feel sick to think people like this topic starter call themselves fans!

One look at the poll results thus far should hopefully cheer you up :) .

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 12 Jan 2008 21:43

three people voted yes!disgusting, i know i know opinion and all, but flippin hell!

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 12 Jan 2008 21:50

Drew_3 three people voted yes!disgusting, i know i know opinion and all, but flippin hell!
given that one was almost certainly Harold, and another quite likely TRedder, that means there's only one RFC supporting moron showing his or her colours here.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Jan 2008 21:52

I think the poster is right to raise the question on a board like this.
Clubs near and below us in the table have sacked their managers this season and with the transfer now open for just another 19 days it is understandable for changes to be made by any club to plan for the rest of the season.
We are now equal bottom with the already relegated Derby in goals conceded so obviously everything is far from rosy.

As only Bolton have spent less than us our problem lies with not bringing in better players as we try to survive with quite a few Championship standard players.
I don't think Coppell is to blame,it is those that actually run the club in terms of wages policy that need to ask themselves some big questions-do we really want to be active members of this Premier League?
IMHO if we were to make a change it should be in the next couple of days and any new man should be ready and have a knowledge of our players and be a wheeler-dealer in the transfer market.
As that is all highly unlikely I back Coppell fully as most fans surely do and I only wish the board would do so as well and not expect him to grovel around hoping to always pick up bargain basement players.

peckhamwolf

by peckhamwolf » 12 Jan 2008 22:00

I have to agree. You people don't know you are born.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 12 Jan 2008 22:26

West Stand Flash
Royal Spangle coppell is GOD HTH ( even if we do get relegated :cry: he should stay) the best manager in our History.

TRUE

Has he however taken us as far as he can.........?
No. He took us further last year.

For the money he's spent, could any manager have done better? Really, if you could pick any manager working in the world today, and give him the same constraints SC works under, who would you expect to do better?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 12 Jan 2008 22:28

Alan Partridge
Drew_3
floyd__streete

Disclaimer - I voted no.

That's your opinion

Their opinion is different

This is a discussion board and however ludicrous someone's point may be, they have a right to say it.
if only to show where the gene pool needs a little more chlorine