Sniffer Dogs at Madejski

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Jan 2008 20:55

What were the police's involvement going to be in all this? As I see it, it was some outside agency who were involved and not the actual police. Although, having said that, surely it's not really much different to the body searches carried out at a lot of grounds when you want to enter, and the checking of my handbag at every game I've ever been to in recent years?

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 17 Jan 2008 20:59

BLUES & ROYAL What is the fffin problem with random drug searches?

IF YOU DON'T CARRY ANY YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!!

but i have a dog allergy

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 17 Jan 2008 21:02

One Beer is never enough.
hilaryscott Just to let you know - it was us at EP who broke the story and went to Jon at STAR for a comment. It was press released but no one else picked up on it.

Well done, find an angle, get peoples backs up and prevent a crime reduction initiative. Lets hope some drug crazed football fan doesnt give you any grief in the near future. :roll:

LOL at the irony of your comment, given your user name..! :lol:

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 17 Jan 2008 21:15

The dogs apparently are trainined to detect people who have "been in contact" with drugs. So, a few Spliffs on a Friday night and next thing you know a dog is barking at you and you're being ejected from the ground. You are, at this point at least, not actively doing anything illegal.

Yeah, some drugs are illegal and some aren't. Lots of other things are illegal too, but you don't expect the police to come round and arrest you in case you were speeding yesterday. They have, at least, to catch you in the act.

If anyone has been trying to peddle Smack in the Mad Stad, then lock 'em up I say. But not all drugs are the same - and recreational use of a Class C days before a football match shouldn't be enough to get you excluded.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 17 Jan 2008 22:28

Armadillo Roadkill The dogs apparently are trainined to detect people who have "been in contact" with drugs. So, a few Spliffs on a Friday night and next thing you know a dog is barking at you and you're being ejected from the ground. You are, at this point at least, not actively doing anything illegal.

Are you able to provide some evidence of this?

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 17 Jan 2008 22:29

If this ever happens, I will demand a refund for my season ticket and never go to another home game.

Would be a disgrace.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Jan 2008 22:31

moo If this ever happens, I will demand a refund for my season ticket and never go to another home game.

Would be a disgrace.
and spacey thought he had problems. keeping his joy to himself etc etc..

you will be missed Moo

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 17 Jan 2008 22:35

shadesrwrf
Armadillo Roadkill The dogs apparently are trainined to detect people who have "been in contact" with drugs. So, a few Spliffs on a Friday night and next thing you know a dog is barking at you and you're being ejected from the ground. You are, at this point at least, not actively doing anything illegal.

ICTS spokesman John Franklin-Webb said in the Evening Post;

“The body language of the dog will noticeably have changed if someone has been in recent contact with drugs."

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 17 Jan 2008 22:52

RG30
shadesrwrf

ICTS spokesman John Franklin-Webb said in the Evening Post;

“The body language of the dog will noticeably have changed if someone has been in recent contact with drugs."

I'm not disputing the dog's ability to do its job. I'm disputing the ejection from the ground for nothing more than contact with drugs rather than actual possession.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Jan 2008 08:21

I would have thought the dogs would pick you out, you'd be searched, no drugs found, they let you in.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 18 Jan 2008 08:47

What legal right do they have to search you anyway?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Jan 2008 08:51

The 17 Bus What legal right do they have to search you anyway?

None at all - but they would have had police accompanying them.

It's also a condition of entry to the stadium that you consent to search.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Jan 2008 08:54

Andy M

Section 60 Searches

by Andy M » 18 Jan 2008 09:17

The S60 order allows police at major demonstrations and football matches to "stop and search in anticipation of violence" and nothing else.

The police however employ this as a tactic to control, subdue and gain personal information about protesters, despite not really having the power to do so. Its effectiveness in the past has been due to no-one really understanding just how limited the police powers under an S60 order are.

In the event of an S60 order being issued, these are the important things to remember;

1. The police do have the power to search you for weapons (and dangerous instruments). They have no other powers under S60. They can only detain you "for as long as necessary to carry out a search".

2. They have no legal power to force you to give them your name and address. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES give it to them - it will be kept on file for SEVEN years. When asked, say "NO COMMENT".

3. They have no legal power to force you to have your photograph taken. Do not allow them to do this. This too will be kept on file for SEVEN years. Keep your head turned away, or put your hand in front of your face.

4. They have no legal power to ask you to remove any item of clothing in public view, OTHER THAN that which is concealing your identity. Any facial masking can be confiscated. If you are asked to remove coats/jumpers etc, REFUSE OUTRIGHT.

5. They have no legal power to search wallets, purses, inside small pockets etc. This is an S60 search, for weapons only. If they ask to search wallets, purses, inside small pockets etc, REFUSE OUTRIGHT.

6. If you have a bag they will search that, but again for weapons only. Any other items, documents, potentially incriminating articles are OFF LIMITS. Do not allow them to examine any of your personal possessions (cash cards, student cards, diaries, organisers etc). This is not part of S60.

Under Article 8 of the UK Human Rights Act 1998 your privacy is assured. Make sure they know this. They can only confiscate weapons and facial masking.

7. They have the power to use "reasonable force" but ONLY if you do not submit to a search. No other force can be used for any other purpose.

8. They must tell you their name, number, station they're based at the reason for the search. Ask them for this. Not only will it piss them off but if they don't provide this information the search will be illegal.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Jan 2008 09:24

But if you have nothing to hide then all of that is pretty much irrelevant.

I still don't understand what all the fuss about, but then I am all for everyones DNA being held on file.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Jan 2008 09:28

I have never been searched by a police officer. The stewards always search my bag and occasionally, at away grounds, I have been body searched by a female steward. I thought only the police could actually search you? I also can't find anything on the net to say that a condition of entering the Madejski Stadium is that I will consent to being searched. Though, to be fair, I may not have trawled through it far enough.

I have nothing to hide and don't particularly care whether I'm searched or not, but if stewards are doing it in breach of any regulations, then I wouldn't be very happy.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 18 Jan 2008 09:39

Andy M, it's people like you who have made our great country what it is.

Our police force once commanded respect. Now because of the do-gooders quoting "human rights" we have little chav kids telling the police to fcuk off on a daily basis.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 18 Jan 2008 09:41

shadesrwrf Andy M, it's people like you who have made our great country what it is.

Our police force once commanded respect. Now because of the do-gooders quoting "human rights" we have little chav kids telling the police to fcuk off on a daily basis.

If only the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six had felt the same way, it would have made things so much quieter for the Police, eh?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 18 Jan 2008 09:41

Royal Lady I have never been searched by a police officer. The stewards always search my bag and occasionally, at away grounds, I have been body searched by a female steward. I thought only the police could actually search you? I also can't find anything on the net to say that a condition of entering the Madejski Stadium is that I will consent to being searched. Though, to be fair, I may not have trawled through it far enough.

I have nothing to hide and don't particularly care whether I'm searched or not, but if stewards are doing it in breach of any regulations, then I wouldn't be very happy.

RFC Ground regulations are here:

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/staticFiles/ae/ab/0,,10306~109486,00.doc

Number 6:

All persons seeking entrance to the Ground acknowledge the Club's right to search any person entering the Ground and to refuse entry to or eject from the Ground any person refusing to submit to such a search.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 18 Jan 2008 09:43

shadesrwrf Andy M, it's people like you who have made our great country what it is.

The police also blew it by amply demonstrating why respect is not an automatic right and has to be earned.