Coppell's latest backtrack

470 posts
Blue Blooded

Re: Coppell's latest backtrack

by Blue Blooded » 25 Jan 2008 14:00

SC said last year that the side were punching above their weight yet in the summer

Wonder why they said that because if we do end up going down we will have the spin that the Table never lies.

Does anyone believe that we were punching above our weight last season?

I don't - I bet Coppell doesn't either.

This was more about keeping players expectations down and keeping a lid on wages. I don't blame Coppell - why shoot the messenger who has to be the public face and voice of the club?

The situation regarding Mr Mad is what is holding us back and now threatening our chances - the crux is not who does and who doesn't want to play, rather it is who wants to pay!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Jan 2008 14:02

Good post BR2. No-one has said we should spend ALL the money accrued over the past two seasons, and spend it rashly on players. However, you get what you pay for usually (Hughes being an exception there for Norwich!) and maybe if we'd been able to make one or two bigger name signings, other bigger names/better players would have started to consider joining them (and us!)

If the Club hadn't made such a big deal about why they were having to increase ST prices, I wouldn't mind, but they've not only increased ST prices, had money from PL, had TV revenue money for TWO SEASONS, we've brought no-one of note who will help us maintain a PL place imho. THAT is what the gripe is all about imho.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 25 Jan 2008 14:03

West Stand Flash
Daniella Why all the moaning?

In my opinion we don't need signings. We have one of the best away records in the prem and our home record is improving.
The defence has played out of their skin this season, games like villa, pompey and tottenham are prime examples of their solidness, how many assists have come from the right wing?? Who wants to upset a team spirit as strong as our's with better players, who wants to bankrupt the club with a couple of silly big name signings...my god...we'll do a leeds or something. Remember where we were three years ago!!! Im happy to see us getting spanked stupid every week, every time a goal is conceded I think " don't get upset, we were loosing to colchester a few years ago". all is forgotten, im grateful.

:lol:

Greast post.

And all the better for your approval

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 25 Jan 2008 14:04

Ok - I've read the article twice, and I can safely say that in no part of that article does Coppell say we aren't going to bring in any more players. - He says, and quite rightly too that following Cisse's performance against Man U that we're unlikely to bring in any more CB's, and we'll go with what we've got. (and we have two more coming back from ACON)

I have no issue with that.

But the negative, knee jerk reactions of the illiterate whose clearly misread/cannot comprehend the article is laughable.

We have bought in whats looks to be a class CM in Marek.

We have it would appear the Kebe chap coming in. (I have no idea what he's like)

And who knows about other players that RFC might've tried to sign, but for whatever reason have failed to do so.

Of course the majority of you whining souls would prefer to bring in a no-one from the Maltesse league. The same people who would be on here in 6 months time complaining because he's crap.

And what Coppell says , and as pointed out by Platypus is correct. The reality of that actually happening is completley different, a bit like you lot pulling a stunner every weekend. - Almost impossible, unless you've got the image to back it up.
Last edited by Tinrib on 25 Jan 2008 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 25 Jan 2008 14:05

Royal Lady Good post BR2. No-one has said we should spend ALL the money accrued over the past two seasons, and spend it rashly on players. However, you get what you pay for usually (Hughes being an exception there for Norwich!) and maybe if we'd been able to make one or two bigger name signings, other bigger names/better players would have started to consider joining them (and us!)

If the Club hadn't made such a big deal about why they were having to increase ST prices, I wouldn't mind, but they've not only increased ST prices, had money from PL, had TV revenue money for TWO SEASONS, we've brought no-one of note who will help us maintain a PL place imho. THAT is what the gripe is all about imho.

Spot on.

Investement is a must in all walks of life, football especially. If you don't strengthen then there is only one possible outcome. I just don't know SC reasoning as to why he isn't strengthening. The bloke is going loopy slowly but surely. The vast majority of his tactics & substitutions have proved that this season already.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Jan 2008 14:07

Tinrib But the negative, knee jerk reactions of the illiterate on here is laughable.

Nice one - if you don't agree with someone, dismiss them as illiterate. I was totally able to comprehend every opinion contrary to yours thus far so perhaps it is you who have a reading problem. Down with aggressive RTG-ism.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Jan 2008 14:09

Tinrib And what Coppell says , and as pointed out by Platypus is correct. The reality of that actually happening is completley different, a bit like you lot pulling a stunner every weekend. - Almost impossible, unless you've got the image to back it up.

"What first attracted you to short, balding millionaire Paul Daniels?"

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Jan 2008 14:09

West Stand Flash
Royal Lady Good post BR2. No-one has said we should spend ALL the money accrued over the past two seasons, and spend it rashly on players. However, you get what you pay for usually (Hughes being an exception there for Norwich!) and maybe if we'd been able to make one or two bigger name signings, other bigger names/better players would have started to consider joining them (and us!)

Spot on.

Investement is a must in all walks of life, football especially. If you don't strengthen then there is only one possible outcome. I just don't know SC reasoning as to why he isn't strengthening. The bloke is going loopy slowly but surely. The vast majority of his tactics & substitutions have proved that this season already.
Maybe because he plans to leave at the end of the season, doesn't want to spend a lot of money (or Mr Mad isn't allowing him to) on players who a new manager coming in won't rate and therefore wasting a few million? Just a thought, but as far as I'm aware, the ROI job hasn't been filled yet has it.......?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2008 14:11

West Stand Flash

Spot on.

He is strengthening or at least trying too.

We have brought one player in who looks (on limited viewing admiteddly) that he could be as good a midfielder as we've had if not better. And we look like getting another bloke that has been scouted and they feel offers us something we haven't got.

He used a player within the squad to fill a gap in defence that looks like actually being an improvement on what we currently have there.

The strengthening of a first XI doesn't always mean going out and getting new players, it can be acheived quite as effectively by using the current players in a different way.

Most people's gripe seems to be that we haven't bought certain players that they want or we haven't spent £3 or £4m on them.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jan 2008 14:14

cmonurz
Royal Rother That is why Reading were able to turn around from a very average season of poor football in 2004/5 to become the best Championship team ever seen the following season with virtually the same squad and management.

We signed Convey, Doyle, Hunt, Lita and Gunnarsson in summer 2005?

Convey signed in July 2004.
Gunnarsson, Oster and Hunt were not mainstays of the team in 2005/6.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 25 Jan 2008 14:18

Royal Rother
cmonurz
Royal Rother That is why Reading were able to turn around from a very average season of poor football in 2004/5 to become the best Championship team ever seen the following season with virtually the same squad and management.

We signed Convey, Doyle, Hunt, Lita and Gunnarsson in summer 2005?

Convey signed in July 2004.
Gunnarsson, Oster and Hunt were not mainstays of the team in 2005/6.

The biggest impact was the signing of Lita. Because it sent a messgae. What message do our signings make in recent summers? Certainly not we're looking to get to the next level like Coppell has claimed we should be doing.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 25 Jan 2008 14:22

floyd__streete
Tinrib But the negative, knee jerk reactions of the illiterate on here is laughable.

Nice one - if you don't agree with someone, dismiss them as illiterate. I was totally able to comprehend every opinion contrary to yours thus far so perhaps it is you who have a reading problem. Down with aggressive RTG-ism.

Its not about disagreeing with anyone, Coppells comments are there to be seen for all

The ability to digest simple information, as opposed to wasting pages of bandwith on unfounded vitriol, certainly lends itself to the illiterate.

But the richness of your post , given the crap you've written in recent weeks is a LOL

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 25 Jan 2008 14:25

Platypuss
Tinrib And what Coppell says , and as pointed out by Platypus is correct. The reality of that actually happening is completley different, a bit like you lot pulling a stunner every weekend. - Almost impossible, unless you've got the image to back it up.

"What first attracted you to short, balding millionaire Paul Daniels?"

Debbie McGee - well suited to Paul Daniels IMHO.

However if Paul daniels pulled Lucy Pinder, then I'd give your anolgy credence.

But he wont.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Jan 2008 14:26

Tinrib - it's only "crap" because you don't agree with it!

I do wish people were allowed to air their views on here without others feeling the need to patronize them or tell them they're wrong, when clearly, they are merely stating how they feel or what they believe. :roll:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jan 2008 14:28

Do you think spending over the odds for players sends a message out that is anything other than we are a bunch of desperate numpties, and sets the scene for future transfer dealings for years to come?

(Okay I know it's only 10 minutes but) I'll take a Matejovski at £1.4m for the whole bally lot of Roy Keane's signings for £40m+.

Messages of the sort you want are worth d.squat in reality.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jan 2008 14:31

Royal Lady Tinrib - it's only "crap" because you don't agree with it!

I do wish people were allowed to air their views on here without others feeling the need to patronize them or tell them they're wrong, when clearly, they are merely stating how they feel or what they believe. :roll:

Yes, we really should look after tender souls such as West End Flash and Daniella. If we insult them too much they might be driven off the board and that would be a bloody tragedy.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Jan 2008 14:31

Tinrib But the richness of your post , given the crap you've written in recent weeks is a LOL

I shall console myself with the fact that you managed to read it, so at least it wasn't a display of that rabid illiteracy you fear is engulfing HNA. The one good thing about impending relegation is that if we do go down we will be taking holier-than-thou attitudes such as yours down with us :lol:. Tin rib? Tin pot more like.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 25 Jan 2008 14:34, edited 3 times in total.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Jan 2008 14:32

Royal Rother Do you think spending over the odds for players sends a message out that is anything other than we are a bunch of desperate numpties, and sets the scene for future transfer dealings for years to come?

(Okay I know it's only 10 minutes but) I'll take a Matejovski at £1.4m for the whole bally lot of Roy Keane's signings for £40m+.

Messages of the sort you want are worth d.squat in reality.
You can pay 7 million for a player and not be paying "over the odds" for him, surely. It all depends who it is doesn't it?

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 25 Jan 2008 14:33

Royal Lady Tinrib - it's only "crap" because you don't agree with it!

Its not the opinion I disagree with. Not at all.

Its the FACT that people have read into a short 'piece ' in the local rag something that clearly is not there.

Simple really.

oh. p.s I did'nt call anybodys opinion crap.
Last edited by Tinrib on 25 Jan 2008 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Jan 2008 14:34

Stranded

He used a player within the squad to fill a gap in defence that looks like actually being an improvement on what we currently have there.

The strengthening of a first XI doesn't always mean going out and getting new players, it can be acheived quite as effectively by using the current players in a different way.

Most people's gripe seems to be that we haven't bought certain players that they want or we haven't spent £3 or £4m on them.

I couldn't agree more but please remember that, whilst the serial whingers are desperate for the club to spend millions, regardless of whether the players concerned are worth that kind of money, when it comes to their own wallets things are seen in a rather different light.......................I believe some stand to gain substantial sums should we fall through the trap door.

With die- hard support like this, we'll be just fine.................
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 25 Jan 2008 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

470 posts