Coppell's latest backtrack

470 posts
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Coppell's latest backtrack

by SpaceCruiser » 25 Jan 2008 14:35

Royal Rother
Royal Lady Tinrib - it's only "crap" because you don't agree with it!

I do wish people were allowed to air their views on here without others feeling the need to patronize them or tell them they're wrong, when clearly, they are merely stating how they feel or what they believe. :roll:

Yes, we really should look after tender souls such as West End Flash and Daniella. If we insult them too much they might be driven off the board and that would be a bloody tragedy.

Or just do as I do, put them on the foes list.

Blue Blooded

by Blue Blooded » 25 Jan 2008 14:36

Tinrib
Royal Lady Tinrib - it's only "crap" because you don't agree with it!

I do wish people were allowed to air their views on here without others feeling the need to patronize them or tell them they're wrong, when clearly, they are merely stating how they feel or what they believe. :roll:

Its not the opinion I disagree with. Not at all.

Its the FACT that people have read into a short 'piece ' in the local rag something that clearly is not there.

Simple really.

But Tin........ it was the Sun that won it!

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 25 Jan 2008 14:36

Whatever anyone says the coments in todays EP are in stark contrast to those that appeared in October.........

Evening Post 9/10/07
Coppell looks to January sales
STEVE COPPELL is ready to splash the cash when the transfer window reopens in January, writes NICK IVE. Royals were fairly quiet in the summer and only managed to land Emerse Fae from Nantes and Kalifa Cisse from Boavista for a total of £3.15million.And before the deadline passed Liam Rosenior joined from Fulham in a swap deal – with Seol Ki-Hyeon going in the opposite direction. But Coppell is looking to strengthen his squad and is already scouring Europe for possible recruits. With Glen Little sidelined for at least two more months, a right winger is top of the list. Royals’ boss said: “We have a collective desire to get to the next level. We’re going to have to appreciate that everybody else’s level has been raised higher, so we’ve got to react. “We have to strengthen the squad in January. That’s not because of any panic, just the desire for this team to be a player in this league, not have a bit-part. “Every signing is a gamble, but it’s amazing how the gamble diminishes when you pay more. “You want the odds in your favour. We’re trying to push our parameters and get the best we can. “We’re always looking hard. We’ve got scouts all over. We’re refining the network and isolating players who can help us. “I always say we have a fairly limited market because of our perception – but money talks. It can be very persuasive. “We might have to pay more than the going rate to become stronger, better and more resilient in this league.”
First printed in: Reading Evening Post

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Jan 2008 14:36

Woodcote - the word is Substantial. And what on earth are you on about now?

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 25 Jan 2008 14:37

floyd__streete
Tinrib But the richness of your post , given the crap you've written in recent weeks is a LOL

I shall console myself with the fact that you managed to read it, so at least it wasn't a display of that rabid illiteracy you fear is engulfing HNA. The one good thing about impending relegation is that if we do go down we will be taking holier-than-thou attitudes such as yours down with us :lol:. Tin rib? Tin pot more like.

LOL

When are you going to start the Chelsea cricket score prediction thread?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Jan 2008 14:38

Tinrib When are you going to start the Chelsea cricket score prediction thread?

Hurray - we only lost 2-0 to Manchester United! Woo! Go us!

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 25 Jan 2008 14:40

floyd__streete
Tinrib When are you going to start the Chelsea cricket score prediction thread?

Hurray - we only lost 2-0 to Manchester United! Woo! Go us!

- From the man with the eternal raincloud over his head..

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 25 Jan 2008 14:43

Woodcote Royal
Stranded

He used a player within the squad to fill a gap in defence that looks like actually being an improvement on what we currently have there.

The strengthening of a first XI doesn't always mean going out and getting new players, it can be acheived quite as effectively by using the current players in a different way.

Most people's gripe seems to be that we haven't bought certain players that they want or we haven't spent £3 or £4m on them.

I couldn't agree more but please remember that, whilst the serial whingers are desperate for the club to spend millions, regardless of whether the players concerned are worth that kind of money, when it comes to their own wallets things are seen in a rather different light.......................I believe some stand to gain substantial sums should we fall through the trap door.

With die- hard support like this, we'll be just fine.................

I don't understand your middle point WR.

Most of the people who are having a 'whinge' if you like, (that i know of) are season ticket holders and in some cases go to ALL the away games. I see this as using their 'wallets'. Unfortunately we haven't all been given £30million x 2 + the other income that this football club has made in that time.

'Sadly ST prices are going up so we can compete' Season tickets sold, people using their wallets to back this club, buying into the dreams and messages from this club.

Chairman 'we realise we need to significantly invest in our playing staff so we can compete at this level'

Chief Exec ' We can be as abig a club as Arsenal' along with the stadium expansion...now on hold of course.

DOF ' we want to be seen as a progressive and ambitious club, as one of the most ambitious clubs in the country'

Manager '“We have a collective desire to get to the next level. We’re going to have to appreciate that everybody else’s level has been raised higher, so we’ve got to react. “We have to strengthen the squad in January. That’s not because of any panic, just the desire for this team to be a player in this league, not have a bit-part. “Every signing is a gamble, but it’s amazing how the gamble diminishes when you pay more. “You want the odds in your favour. We’re trying to push our parameters and get the best we can. “We’re always looking hard. We’ve got scouts all over. We’re refining the network and isolating players who can help us. “I always say we have a fairly limited market because of our perception – but money talks. It can be very persuasive. “We might have to pay more than the going rate to become stronger, better and more resilient in this league.”

Now of course, had this team been winning and doing ok in the league, SC and the rest would have every right to say 'well go with what we've got' But this team is failing....miserably. People taking solice in an improved performance last week...the result 0-2. No matter how well the team played (and they did play well in fairness) still lost their 4th game in a row. With Chelsea and Everton away to come in 2 of the next 3.

How has the situation changed from us needing to spend more than the going rate to 'we'll go with what we've got?'

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Jan 2008 14:46

Royal Rother Do you think spending over the odds for players sends a message out that is anything other than we are a bunch of desperate numpties, and sets the scene for future transfer dealings for years to come?

I'm not sure. Ask Steve.

“We might have to pay more than the going rate to become stronger, better and more resilient in this league.”

Blue Blooded

by Blue Blooded » 25 Jan 2008 14:54

Platypuss
Royal Rother Do you think spending over the odds for players sends a message out that is anything other than we are a bunch of desperate numpties, and sets the scene for future transfer dealings for years to come?

I'm not sure. Ask Steve.

“We might have to pay more than the going rate to become stronger, better and more resilient in this league.”

That proves nothing aside stating the obvious. It doesn't say that we will or indeed get the type of players neccesary to do this. Surely it also could be said that for the type of which could present the quick fix there comes a premium.

This hardly constitutes a commitment or promise.
Last edited by Blue Blooded on 25 Jan 2008 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jan 2008 14:58

Tinrib blah blah blah....
But the negative, knee jerk reactions of the illiterate on here is laughable.

We have bought in whats looks to be a class CM in Marek.

We have it would appear the Kebe chap coming in. (I have no idea what he's like)

And who knows about other players that RFC might've tried to sign, but for whatever reason have failed to do so.

blah blah blah

The players we've bought in are gambles, like any transfer, that may or may not pay off. As our manager has said in the past, bringing players in from abroad represents a bigger gamble than buying one that has proved that he's capable and is used to playing in the Premiership.

Our results so far this season have shown we're not really better than those other teams in the relegation battle. It would be nice if some of the massive amount of money thats come in to the club over the last couple of years could actually attract a couple of players that we (thats the club, not HNA? or the Madjeski crowd) are more confident of slotting straight in and improving our relegation threatened side.

It doesn't look like thats happening. That IS a worry.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 25 Jan 2008 15:01

Hoop Blah
Tinrib blah blah blah....
But the negative, knee jerk reactions of the illiterate on here is laughable.

We have bought in whats looks to be a class CM in Marek.

We have it would appear the Kebe chap coming in. (I have no idea what he's like)

And who knows about other players that RFC might've tried to sign, but for whatever reason have failed to do so.

blah blah blah

The players we've bought in are gambles, like any transfer, that may or may not pay off. As our manager has said in the past, bringing players in from abroad represents a bigger gamble than buying one that has proved that he's capable and is used to playing in the Premiership.

Our results so far this season have shown we're not really better than those other teams in the relegation battle. It would be nice if some of the massive amount of money thats come in to the club over the last couple of years could actually attract a couple of players that we (thats the club, not HNA? or the Madjeski crowd) are more confident of slotting straight in and improving our relegation threatened side.

It doesn't look like thats happening. That IS a worry.

Well spotted. Do you think the club are aware?

Blue Blooded

by Blue Blooded » 25 Jan 2008 15:02

Ideal
Woodcote Royal
Stranded

He used a player within the squad to fill a gap in defence that looks like actually being an improvement on what we currently have there.

The strengthening of a first XI doesn't always mean going out and getting new players, it can be acheived quite as effectively by using the current players in a different way.

Most people's gripe seems to be that we haven't bought certain players that they want or we haven't spent £3 or £4m on them.

I couldn't agree more but please remember that, whilst the serial whingers are desperate for the club to spend millions, regardless of whether the players concerned are worth that kind of money, when it comes to their own wallets things are seen in a rather different light.......................I believe some stand to gain substantial sums should we fall through the trap door.

I can't believe you lot, you are still banging on ranting the same communist rhetoric.
Anyone who wants a right winger wants us to spend "endless sums of money".

There's only one problem with that argument - IT IS WROOOOONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Nobody has said we have to spend £10M.
People have simply said we have to get a right winger. What he costs is not so important. It is not important that it is Luis Figo or Gordon Strachan.
But people are not impressed when they hear of some wakner who can't get into the Mali squad who is on loan to a FRENCH second division team.
HOW ON EARTH CAN THIS POSSIBLY BE DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND FOR YOU!????

Anyone would settle for some championship player. Chris Eagles. Simon Whaley. Michael Kightly. Whoever. Just not impressed by some french second division Mali reject.

WE WERE SIGNING MORE IMPRESSIVE PLAYERS UNDER BULLIVANT FOR GODS SAKE

Ok who brought out the McCarthyist?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 25 Jan 2008 15:02

Blue Blooded
Platypuss

I'm not sure. Ask Steve.

That proves nothing aside stating the obvious. It doesn't say that we will or indeed get the type of players neccesary to do this. Surely it also could be said that for the type of which could present the quick fix there comes a premium.

This hardly constitutes a commitment or promise.

I didn't say it did. The reason for my post I thought was actually rather obvious.

It was posted to give the lie to RR's assertion that spending over the odds equates to giving the message that you are desperate numpties.

But then again RR simply adores the fallacy of the false dichotomy. And he's patently not alone.

Blue Blooded

by Blue Blooded » 25 Jan 2008 15:05

It was posted to give the lie to RR's assertion that spending over the odds equates to giving the message that you are desperate numpties.

What else does it do then? (Just assuming that it is over the odds).

There is no lie there

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Jan 2008 15:05

Alan Partridge
Woodcote Royal
Stranded

I don't understand your middle point WR.

Most of the people who are having a 'whinge' if you like, (that i know of) are season ticket holders and in some cases go to ALL the away games. I see this as using their 'wallets'. Unfortunately we haven't all been given £30million x 2 + the other income that this football club has made in that time.

'Sadly ST prices are going up so we can compete' Season tickets sold, people using their wallets to back this club, buying into the dreams and messages from this club.

Chairman 'we realise we need to significantly invest in our playing staff so we can compete at this level'

Chief Exec ' We can be as abig a club as Arsenal' along with the stadium expansion...now on hold of course.

DOF ' we want to be seen as a progressive and ambitious club, as one of the most ambitious clubs in the country'

Manager '“We have a collective desire to get to the next level. We’re going to have to appreciate that everybody else’s level has been raised higher, so we’ve got to react. “We have to strengthen the squad in January. That’s not because of any panic, just the desire for this team to be a player in this league, not have a bit-part. “Every signing is a gamble, but it’s amazing how the gamble diminishes when you pay more. “You want the odds in your favour. We’re trying to push our parameters and get the best we can. “We’re always looking hard. We’ve got scouts all over. We’re refining the network and isolating players who can help us. “I always say we have a fairly limited market because of our perception – but money talks. It can be very persuasive. “We might have to pay more than the going rate to become stronger, better and more resilient in this league.”

Now of course, had this team been winning and doing ok in the league, SC and the rest would have every right to say 'well go with what we've got' But this team is failing....miserably. People taking solice in an improved performance last week...the result 0-2. No matter how well the team played (and they did play well in fairness) still lost their 4th game in a row. With Chelsea and Everton away to come in 2 of the next 3.

How has the situation changed from us needing to spend more than the going rate to 'we'll go with what we've got?'

So, basically, you want the club to spend the money it promised to spend regardless of whether the club can attract the sort of player who commands a muliti millon pound fee and regardless of whether we find a player who is just as good for a fraction of the price.

We needed another centre half in the short term but Cisse has plugged the gap................if that saved the club a small fortune, all well and good IMHO.

The club have made it clear time and time gain, as your quotes illustrate, that they are prepared to spend big as and when required but the last 18 months are littered with examples of why this has proven so difficult, yet we've still made the number of signing promised in this window.

Furthermore, we've kept all the players that so many were convinced we couldn't hang onto.

Steve Coppell said Hunt was staying "end of" and despite Keane offering a staggering £5m he's still here...........................if that doesn't tell you just how difficult it is for clubs like ours to sign top players at this level......................I give up.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 25 Jan 2008 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 25 Jan 2008 15:07

Blue Blooded

What else does it do then? (Just assuming that it is over the odds).

There is no lie there

As SC is saying that it may just be a necessary course of action, why can it not simply be a statement of pragmatic realism?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 25 Jan 2008 15:08

This thread! :roll:

I think I'll do some work today instead. Much more entertaining.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2008 15:11

Ideal
Woodcote Royal
Stranded

I can't believe you lot, you are still banging on ranting the same communist rhetoric.
Anyone who wants a right winger wants us to spend "endless sums of money".

There's only one problem with that argument - IT IS WROOOOONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Nobody has said we have to spend £10M.
People have simply said we have to get a right winger. What he costs is not so important. It is not important that it is Luis Figo or Gordon Strachan.
But people are not impressed when they hear of some wakner who can't get into the Mali squad who is on loan to a FRENCH second division team.
HOW ON EARTH CAN THIS POSSIBLY BE DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND FOR YOU!????

Anyone would settle for some championship player. Chris Eagles. Simon Whaley. Michael Kightly. Whoever. Just not impressed by some french second division Mali reject.

At least two things are needed for us to get a player, actually make that 3.

1. The management team at the club rate the player, think he is better than what we have here or offers us something different.

2. The club the player is at actually want to do business at a decent level ie. Would you be happy with Kightly coming if Wolves demanded £5m for him?

3. The player himself wants to come.

Only when those 3 things (at least) happen in that order will we go and get a player. That is the correct way to run a club.

If the management think that Hunt or Doyle can do a better job at RW then those you mention we simply won't move for them.

Kebe may be a "Mali reject" but he may be able to do the job in the Prem as well as any Championship player and will have cost us around a tenth of the price.
Arch This thread! :roll:

I think I'll do some work today instead. Much more entertaining.

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 25 Jan 2008 15:13

Name one?

470 posts