Coppell's latest backtrack

470 posts
bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: So fed up

by bobby1413 » 30 Jan 2008 23:27

West Stand Flash look how far we have come, enjoy it while it lasts.

That is one attitude that I just can't agree with though.

The OP is really negative, and I don't agree with what he's saying, as I think he's being overly dramatic. However, I can't stand when people say stuff like "x number of years ago we were in division 2 play xxx". Or "This is the premiership, it's amazing to be here or whatever". Yes, we've come along way to get to the top league and to play against the big boys. That's great, now lets focus and move onwards and upwards, and build upon what we have.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 30 Jan 2008 23:30

bobby1413

The OP is really negative, and I don't agree with what he's saying, as I think he's being overly dramatic. However, I can't stand when people say stuff like "x number of years ago we were in division 2 play xxx". Or "This is the premiership, it's amazing to be here or whatever". Yes, we've come along way to get to the top league and to play against the big boys. That's great, now lets focus and move onwards and upwards, and build upon what we have.

basically what i said

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 30 Jan 2008 23:32

rfcjoe
Ruud Van Kitson we lost 1-0 to chelsea away from home....

we lost yet again though-and yet again away from home. your just going to accept that? well i aint mate so shut it !

i would have loved to have seen us win tonight, but so would the last 76 teams who have visited stamford bridge.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 30 Jan 2008 23:34

bobby1413

WSF was attempting irony. Most people who seriously use the "look how far..." line use it in the context of providing evidence that the club has ambition. I.e. how do you think we'd have got to the Prem from the relegation spots in the third division without ambition.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 30 Jan 2008 23:46

I think it is an attempt to point out that the vast majority of posters seem to think the 'Premiership adventure' is nothing more than a temporary break from our rightful position in the lower divisions, when this is not, and does not have to be the case.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 31 Jan 2008 00:25

West Stand Flash Why are people moaning, we were away to ONE OF THE BIG FOUR, look how far we have come, enjoy it while it lasts. Coppell has done such amazing things for us. He is so good I would eat his s**t.

Typical RTG post above.

Realists - We are completely awful & strong favourites to go down (& no not just based on tonights showing). 135 years to get somewhere & stay for 2 seasons. Well done Mr Madejski, Mr Howe, Mr Hammond & Mr Coppell. Top draw that...!

why did you have to repeat what you said :?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 31 Jan 2008 00:42

Idiot.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 31 Jan 2008 01:25

rfcjoe

we lost yet again though-and yet again away from home. your just going to accept that? well i aint mate so shut it !

Thing is, what with you being a feckless retard and all that, we're not really swayed by your opinion.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 31 Jan 2008 02:51

RobRoyal
rfcjoe

Thing is, what with you being a feckless retard and all that, we're not really swayed by your opinion.

:lol:

southsideroyal

by southsideroyal » 31 Jan 2008 05:02

Alan Partridge
Royal Rother No they don't. They have to pick up points against the lesser teams - that is where our fate will be decided, not in the games against the Top4.

Sunderland 2 Reading 1
Bolton 3 Reading 0
Fulham 3 Reading 1
Reading 1 Boro 1

Reading 1 Derby 0
Reading 2 Sunderland 1
Brum 1 Reading 1
Reading 2 Wigan 1

Not sure that's quite good enough yet.

Good post! Last year we picked up 2 points from The Big 4 but finished 8th because we consistently beat the teams around us. So far we've doubled our point total against The Big 4 but have tumbled down in the table due to dropped points against the bottom half of the league.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 31 Jan 2008 08:24

Yes, we need to step up to the next level. Some people seem to think in order to step up we only need to spend a few extra quid here and there. I'm not so sure about that. I think the reality is to take that step will cost us a considerable amount more. It'll mean a wholesale restructuring of wages and a significant increase in transfer fees paid. Yes the club's got a bit of extra money floating around at the moment. Is it enough to fund the next part of the campaign? I don't know and actually doubt it very much. But I'll bet the real cost is a lot more than many think.

I do subscribe to the "look how far we've come" school of thought. I subscribe to it because it's true. However, whilst I don't want this to be a short vacation I do want to be sure the club I love exists for years to come. Madejski, Hammond, Coppell et al got us where we are. At this moment in time I have no reason to believe that anybody else would be able to do better whilst ensuring the future of the club is secure.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 31 Jan 2008 08:44

shadesrwrf Yes, we need to step up to the next level. Some people seem to think in order to step up we only need to spend a few extra quid here and there. I'm not so sure about that. I think the reality is to take that step will cost us a considerable amount more. It'll mean a wholesale restructuring of wages and a significant increase in transfer fees paid. Yes the club's got a bit of extra money floating around at the moment. Is it enough to fund the next part of the campaign? I don't know and actually doubt it very much. But I'll bet the real cost is a lot more than many think.

I do subscribe to the "look how far we've come" school of thought. I subscribe to it because it's true. However, whilst I don't want this to be a short vacation I do want to be sure the club I love exists for years to come. Madejski, Hammond, Coppell et al got us where we are. At this moment in time I have no reason to believe that anybody else would be able to do better whilst ensuring the future of the club is secure.

Good post.

We are of course gradually increasing the wage bill by our ethos of improving the contracts of those that have done the business for us rather than paying straight into the hands of some mercenary who may or may not actually contribute anything. This in time will mean that our wage structure does rise in time to the level where bringing in better quality players doesn't have such an immediate impact on the wage structure.

Rather than harping on about transfers being the sign of whether we've resigned ourselves to relegation as some on here are suggesting ( f*ck me Fulham have bought a whole team with 2 seperate managers in the last 6 months and are 2nd bottom ) I think Coppell needs to make more use of the resourses that are available to him. I've said it before but as brilliant a manager as he is, if he isn't going take financial risks in the transfer market then he has to start taking the odd risk with those players already here. Our cup performances have shown that some of our fringe players do have the capability to perform at this level and they really should be utilised more than they are. The same could be said for the younger players. If we're not going to invest heavily in transfers then he has to take a risk or 2 with these guys otherwise the replacement of the 3 or 4 players who are reaching the end of their shelf life with us won't be as seamless as he would like.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 31 Jan 2008 08:49

holsgrove breaks a leg
West Stand Flash Why are people moaning, we were away to ONE OF THE BIG FOUR, look how far we have come, enjoy it while it lasts. Coppell has done such amazing things for us. He is so good I would eat his s**t.

Typical RTG post above.

Realists - We are completely awful & strong favourites to go down (& no not just based on tonights showing). 135 years to get somewhere & stay for 2 seasons. Well done Mr Madejski, Mr Howe, Mr Hammond & Mr Coppell. Top draw that...!

Because he is a negative tit of the first order. Hope that helps! :lol:

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 31 Jan 2008 08:57

West Stand Man
holsgrove breaks a leg

Typical RTG post above.

Because he is a negative tit of the first order. Hope that helps! :lol:

Ah brilliant, I have a new HobNob stalker. It's usually a new one each week. Bless you.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 31 Jan 2008 09:15

I'm not fed up I expected 1 point from the games between Boxing Day and the end of January and that's exactly what we got.

No disgrace last night given the gulf in squad ability and let's face it no-one's beaten Chelsea at their place for 75 games in the league so it was hardly a surpise.

If anything we did slightly better in that when I heard the side with an unfit Oster (why?) over Matejovsky I thought we'd get a stuffing.

Problems will start if we don't beat Bolton though and that won't be easy esp. if they get Diouf back!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 31 Jan 2008 09:22

West Stand Flash
Ah brilliant, I have a new HobNob stalker. It's usually a new one each week. Bless you.

Don't over inflate your sense of importance.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 31 Jan 2008 09:33

West Stand Man
West Stand Flash

Don't over inflate your sense of importance.

Sadly it is true. Bless your cottons. Your Mumma must be proud.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 31 Jan 2008 09:45

[quote="West Stand Flash
Sadly it is true. Bless your cottons. Your Mumma must be proud.[/quote]

No, she isn't proud, just dead. You can't even get that right can you.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Jan 2008 09:55

Vision
shadesrwrf Yes, we need to step up to the next level. Some people seem to think in order to step up we only need to spend a few extra quid here and there. I'm not so sure about that. I think the reality is to take that step will cost us a considerable amount more. It'll mean a wholesale restructuring of wages and a significant increase in transfer fees paid. Yes the club's got a bit of extra money floating around at the moment. Is it enough to fund the next part of the campaign? I don't know and actually doubt it very much. But I'll bet the real cost is a lot more than many think.

Good post.

We are of course gradually increasing the wage bill by our ethos of improving the contracts of those that have done the business for us rather than paying straight into the hands of some mercenary who may or may not actually contribute anything. This in time will mean that our wage structure does rise in time to the level where bringing in better quality players doesn't have such an immediate impact on the wage structure.

Rather than harping on about transfers being the sign of whether we've resigned ourselves to relegation as some on here are suggesting ( f*ck me Fulham have bought a whole team with 2 seperate managers in the last 6 months and are 2nd bottom ) I think Coppell needs to make more use of the resourses that are available to him. I've said it before but as brilliant a manager as he is, if he isn't going take financial risks in the transfer market then he has to start taking the odd risk with those players already here. Our cup performances have shown that some of our fringe players do have the capability to perform at this level and they really should be utilised more than they are. The same could be said for the younger players. If we're not going to invest heavily in transfers then he has to take a risk or 2 with these guys otherwise the replacement of the 3 or 4 players who are reaching the end of their shelf life with us won't be as seamless as he would like.

Thank God for that. There is still just about enough intelligent life on Hobnob to counter-balance WSF and his ilk.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 31 Jan 2008 09:56

Vision

Good post.

We need to totally re approach how we go about transfers. We can't get the 'Coppell type' players everytime and we're far too picky about who we approach. The club keep saying the deals we're not right for us, but we've needed a right winger all season and all we've manged to get is a player Coppell's never seen and doesn't seem to know much about.

As we have seen if you don't add to your squad you go backwards at this level. You cannot stand still and that's what we do.

I'm sure we'll get the usual how do you know we've not tried to sign 10 players this month? How do you know what we do? I've said before it's doesn't matter what we do, what matters is who we sign.

Touch wood we get away with it this season. We can't keeping take these massive risks though.

470 posts