Team for Boro

193 posts
Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Team for Boro

by Scarface » 26 Feb 2008 13:05

The thoughts in my head are:

Keeper:
Marcus, distribution is not good, but his general keeping is keeping us in games at the moment, so brining in Fed to me is an added risk we can't afford at the moment.

Back Four:
Murty for me is ok until about the last 15 mins, when he looks knackered and this is compounded by the fact we're always chasing the game leaving him exposed, so I would have Rosenior on the bench to cover this. Bikey was quality for Cameroon so confidence should be high and Sonko, who couldn't get in the Senegal team, looks completely shot away to me. Cisse also makes rash decisions, so I'd plump for the steadiness of Inga or Doobs to partner Bikey. Shorey, well, we have no other option and we need his dead ball skills.

Midfield:
God knows what to pick really, but it's time for a drastic change as it's not working, so Cisse and Marek in the middle, Hunt wide left and Kebe wide right.

Upfront:
Lita, much as I dislike his attitude this year, has to start now, but I can't see him working upfront on his own. Kitson was so dis-interested Sunday I think he deserves dropping, but it won't happen. Doyle could start wide right and I think Coppell will do this, as he doesn't want to drop him and it's the easy way out, but personally I think he needs time on the bench, which might kick him up the back side.

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 26 Feb 2008 13:18

The problem our defence has though is our central midfield is non-existent, we've been over-run in that area of the field practically all season and there's not a f'ing thing we can do about it now. It's plain to see that Harper cannot play DM and I'd prefer to see Marek start over Harps as an AM. Also, Oster is utter dog sh1t and should never have had a chance to wear the hoops in the first place - I hope we've seen the last of him. Up front we've currently got no direct threat and at the back with Sonko running away from the ball and Cisse missing it, I'd have to ring the changes.....

Marcus
Murty Bikey Ivar Shorey
Kebe Marek Cisse Hunt
Lita Kitson

Fed
Rosenior
Henry
Sonko
Doyle

If we're going to stay up then the next two games are BIG TIME.
Remember, WE ARE NOT RELEGATED............come on Reading, and let's hope that SC can make the changes that are needed

Kes

by Kes » 26 Feb 2008 13:22

Lets hope 11 players show up against Boro instead of none like the Villa game.

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 26 Feb 2008 14:02

Hunt wide left and Kebe wide right.

You have summed it up by saying WIDE.

SC needs to tell them to stay on the touchline and take people on!! Hunt, whilst I admire his commitment to the cause and would not drop him, needs to remember he is a winger and he is too many times caught out of position in the centre which in turn when we do get the ball means the outlet is Kitson, who ends up on the wing (as did Doyle on Sunday)

I thought that was the basic tactic of 442?!?!? Why don't we do it?? Even Shorey and Murty have stopped the over lapping runs as well.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Feb 2008 14:22

I can't make up my mind who I think should play let alone who I think Coppell will play.

Currently, the side I'd like to see starting against 'Boro, taking into account what I think Coppell might realistically do and also the changes I'd like to see, is something like this.

Hahnemann
Murty
Shorey
Cisse
Ivar
Rosenior
Harper
Matejovsky
Hunt
Kitson
Lita

Doyle
Kebe
Bikey
De La Cruz or Long
Federici

I can't decide on who should be at the heart of the defence, largely because they're all of a similar standard/form. Sonko is our most dominant centre half but he's just nowhere near his game. Ivar hasn't been at his most solid but then I don't think Bikey and Cisse could be paired together without creating havoc. I really want Rosenior to be given a chance, but Murty did ok against Villa, especially when you consider he had to play behind Oster and Kebe. Even though Rosenior looked pretty poor on the wing previously I think we could do with him away to 'Boro who are pretty strong down the left.

In the middle of the park I can't see past the two we've got. Gunnarsson doesn't appear to be fit. Bikey has shown he shouldn't play there and Fae must be woeful if he's not got a look in so far.

So, there aren't too many changes I can see being made.

Sonic

by Sonic » 26 Feb 2008 14:50

-----------------Federici----------------

Rosenior- -- --Ivar-- -Bikey-- - --Shorey

--------- ---- ----Cisse----- ----- ------

Kebe- -- --Matejovsky-- -Harper-- --Hunt

----------- --- -Lita--------------------

Subs:
Hahnemann
Gunnarson
Convey
Kitson
Long
Last edited by Sonic on 26 Feb 2008 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Feb 2008 15:05

[quote="Hoop Blah"]I can't make up my mind who I think should play let alone who I think Coppell will play.

Don't think anyone else knows either HB...

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 26 Feb 2008 15:12

I haven't read the rest of the thread, so I'm probably duplicating someone with this...

Hahnemann (SSC won't change him yet)

Murty (ditto above) Ingimarsson Sonko (or Duberry) Shorey
Bikey
Kebe Matejovsky Harper Hunt
Kitson

Fed
DLC (or Sonko if Doobs plays)
Oster (but I'd rather have Rosenior on the bench)
Lita
Doyle

Given that most observers see Matejovsky/Harper as too similar and lightweight, then play Bikey as the holding midfielder and allow Harper to deliver wider balls from further up the pitch, looking for scecond balls off the crosses. If a second forward is needed, sacrifice Harps and push Bikey up alongside Matejovsky - Beauty & The Beast in midfield. Can't see Doyle being dropped out of the sixteen, but Lita needs a chance as well, so Longy will have to make way.

I'm not greedy, though, a point will do from Boro...

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 26 Feb 2008 15:15

The OS hasn't posted any updates on Doobs or Boris's injuries since the 12th Feb & given that neither were in the stiffs squad last night I don't suppose either will be fit for Saturday. Expect the OS to trumpet their return to fitness loudly when it happens.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 26 Feb 2008 15:26

We've tried one up front with Kitson and it doesn't work. Mind you nothing is working, so who know's. I just think Coppell needs to be positive and not get even more defensive. I can't see us suddenly fixing the defensive problem (it's been there all year), so I think we need to concentrate on getting back to early season form, where we were scoring goals, which meant our home form was just saving us.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Feb 2008 15:35

Scarface We've tried one up front with Kitson and it doesn't work. Mind you nothing is working, so who know's. I just think Coppell needs to be positive and not get even more defensive. I can't see us suddenly fixing the defensive problem (it's been there all year), so I think we need to concentrate on getting back to early season form, where we were scoring goals, which meant our home form was just saving us.

I agree. Kits doesn't work up front on his own. If we play one up there it should be Lita. However seeing our need for goals I would probably play 4-4-2. I do think that a 4-5-1 with Lita up front and a relatively quick, attacking midfield would be the same as playing 4-4-2...

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Feb 2008 15:54

Kitson hasn't got the pace to play upfront on his own.

One of his strengths is his abilty to bring others into play with a clever touch or two. When he plays upfront on his own he can't do that and so becomes a bit wasted.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 26 Feb 2008 15:56

Hoop Blah When he plays upfront on his own he can't do that and so becomes a bit wasted.
Is that how he got his driving ban?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Feb 2008 15:56

Hoop Blah Kitson hasn't got the pace to play upfront on his own.

One of his strengths is his abilty to bring others into play with a clever touch or two. When he plays upfront on his own he can't do that and so becomes a bit wasted.

Yes exactly right. United away in the cup last year springs to mind...

Jaytee

by Jaytee » 26 Feb 2008 16:48

USA
Murty
Sonko
Ingi
Shorey
Kebe
harper
marek
Doyle
Lita
Kitson

Hunt
Bikey
Della
Long
Fred

Number 9

by Number 9 » 26 Feb 2008 16:49

-----------------USA-------------------
--Dela Sonko Ingamarson Shorey---
----------------Harper-----------------
----------Fae-- Bikey --Hunt---------
----------------Marek------------------
-----------------Doyle-----------------

Fed
Rosenior
Kebe
Kitson
Long

Bikey in midfield to give a bit of 'bite'. Marek to pick the lock for Doyle. Don't need defensive cover on bench with Bikey in MF. A solid yet positive starting line up and a bench that could change the game if required.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 26 Feb 2008 17:03

Number 9 -----------------USA-------------------

Fed
Rosenior
Kebe
Kitson
Long

Bikey in midfield to give a bit of 'bite'. Marek to pick the lock for Doyle. Don't need defensive cover on bench with Bikey in MF. A solid yet positive starting line up and a bench that could change the game if required.

Not picking on you solely, but I really do despair when people think that Doyle should play and not Kitson. So Kit's has had 1 bad game... Doyle has had 1 shit season

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Feb 2008 17:06

londinium

Fed
Rosenior
Kebe
Kitson
Long

Not picking on you solely, but I really do despair when people think that Doyle should play and not Kitson. So Kit's has had 1 bad game... Doyle has had 1 shit season

Yes but Doyle would be better on his own up front. Still think Lita should play instead of Doyler on sat...

Kes

by Kes » 26 Feb 2008 17:07

Hahnemann
Murty
Sonko
Ingimarsson
Shorey
Kebe
Harper
Marek
Hunt
Long
Kitson

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 26 Feb 2008 17:22

Archie's penalty
londinium

Fed
Rosenior
Kebe
Kitson
Long

Yes but Doyle would be better on his own up front. Still think Lita should play instead of Doyler on sat...

I take your point, but do not see why you think Doyle would be better up front than Kitson.

Kitson is better in the air
Kitson is better at holding the ball up
Kitson is better at spotting a runner
Kitson has a better shot on him and is not afraid to shoot
Kitson has at least scored in the last 2 months
Oh yeah... Kitson is a better all round player

193 posts