Time to button it, John Madejski

Sir Rodger Doyle

Re: Time to button it, John Madejski

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 26 Feb 2008 20:05

RG30 4 years ago, this club were training at Bradfield College during the summer months, and Reading Hockey Club during the winter. It was through the Chairman's desire that we finally got a respectable training ground that has now been developed to the standard that will last long after the Chairman has gone.

It's easy pointing fingers when things aern't going well, only a few months ago I was aiming my verbal's at him but regardless of what happens, this football club will be in a far better position than the one that got promoted 2 years ago. By all means, they're are things that iritate me but generally speaking, we've come a hell of a long way in such a short space of time.

If we survive, then great. I think we'll see a change in attitude as a club generally though and it wouldn't surprise me that should we survive, Mr Madejski will actively look for outside investment because it's clear he can't/won't support a Premiership club because the numbers keeps rising season in season out.

How do you know so much about the training ground?
My mate delivers to Hogwood, and he says it's a Sw*ndon hole.

Hugh

by Hugh » 26 Feb 2008 21:36

it's a business isn't it? he can decide what he puts in and what he takes out can't he? I suppose the question is, do we think he's taking out more than he's putting in and therefore has he lost our respect as a result? Personally, I think he's put a lot in and enabled a consistent, stable approach that enabled the team to do so well for the last couple of years. Let's face it, we're not going to agree with everything he says and he is looking to sell the club - he's made that clear for at least six months now.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Feb 2008 08:24

Hugh it's a business isn't it? he can decide what he puts in and what he takes out can't he? I suppose the question is, do we think he's taking out more than he's putting in and therefore has he lost our respect as a result? Personally, I think he's put a lot in and enabled a consistent, stable approach that enabled the team to do so well for the last couple of years. Let's face it, we're not going to agree with everything he says and he is looking to sell the club - he's made that clear for at least six months now.

He has said that he's looking to sell the club but then he's said quite a few other things too. How seriously is he looking to do what he says at this particular moment in time?

Also, if is looking to sell and it really is true that his name has to remain on the stadium for a period of time after he has gone, doesn't that somewhat reduce the chances of finding a buyer?

Imagine Eddie Stobart trying to sell off some of his wagons but insisting the buyer keeps his name on them. Actually, with hindsight that may not be the best parallel as there is some value in the Stobart brand name within that industry.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 27 Feb 2008 08:33

i blame cilla black.things went downhill when your chairman waggled his willy in her direction.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 27 Feb 2008 10:11

RoyalBlue
Hugh it's a business isn't it? he can decide what he puts in and what he takes out can't he? I suppose the question is, do we think he's taking out more than he's putting in and therefore has he lost our respect as a result? Personally, I think he's put a lot in and enabled a consistent, stable approach that enabled the team to do so well for the last couple of years. Let's face it, we're not going to agree with everything he says and he is looking to sell the club - he's made that clear for at least six months now.

He has said that he's looking to sell the club but then he's said quite a few other things too. How seriously is he looking to do what he says at this particular moment in time?

Also, if is looking to sell and it really is true that his name has to remain on the stadium for a period of time after he has gone, doesn't that somewhat reduce the chances of finding a buyer?

Imagine Eddie Stobart trying to sell off some of his wagons but insisting the buyer keeps his name on them. Actually, with hindsight that may not be the best parallel as there is some value in the Stobart brand name within that industry.

The brand as you put it is Reading FC. The stadium is merely the office in which they ply thier trade so to speak. God that sounds shit.

Who knows it (naming rights) may come as a part of any deal Jm wants to do but I'm not sure its any sort of a dealbreaker to a prospective buyer.

Unless of course I've missed the name change of Stamford Bridge To Abramovich Avenue or Villa Park to Lerner Lane.

I was gonna try Eastlands to Thingamygawatsit but for obvious reasons didn't bother :wink:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Feb 2008 11:40

It was not Madejski's decision to name the stadium after himself, poor argument even by your standards RoyalBlue.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 27 Feb 2008 12:15

Royalee It was not Madejski's decision to name the stadium after himself, poor argument even by your standards RoyalBlue.

Why didn't they pick any name then, like The Smith Stadium?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 27 Feb 2008 12:24

Norfolk Royal
Royalee It was not Madejski's decision to name the stadium after himself, poor argument even by your standards RoyalBlue.

I'm sure he could've stopped it if he wanted to but I think it was pushed through by his sycophantic dominions at the time.

It never hurt Mr Bernabéu though did it?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Feb 2008 12:38

Norfolk Royal

Because those who decided (not Madejski) thought it appropriate to name it after the chairman given that without him it would never have happened and we'd more than likely be battling it out the likes of Oxford and Aldershot right now? Just a thought. Not that many on here seem capable of those.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 27 Feb 2008 12:39

personally i don't want to hear the chairman constantly telling the fans that their so important and to make lots of noise. how many people will actually watch that video they just made and say 'Yeah i've been coming to reading for x years and not ever been bothered about being a vocal supporter of the team and the guy shouting back the boys and make some noise before the game has never got me going but but now i've seen that video of the chairman i will be the loudest fan reading have ever had' i mean he's not exactly winston churchill is he?

i can't see why some people think that just because the guy has clearly done a lot for the club he can't be criticised for making what i think is a major major error. you need to speculate to accumulate, and yes money doesn't buy success, especially if you buy the wrong players like fulham, but that's just the risk that you have to take. as someone else said earlier the club came to a fork in the road where there was the opportunity to gamble. i don't think we would have needed to spend a huge amount to make this gamble, but as far as i can see the amount we have spent looks to me like the club has chickened out. and yes there are good reasons to do so - why blow a load of money just to get relegated?

but if you don't try you don't get. and for me the premier league is a league where if you don't keep trying (i.e. improving your squad) then you'll get left behind quicker than you would in the leagues below. everyone always says the prem is a massive step up, and it is, in every way - and that includes the amounts of money and the amount of risk.

for the past few seasons i've had a habit of comparing the squad list to that of the previous season, and i have felt for several years that we've always been improving and getting rid of the dead wood. but this year (up until january at least) i have not felt this to be the case and nobody in this league can afford to do that.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 27 Feb 2008 12:40

Hoop Blah
Vision Lets be honest, who apart from Dave Whelan or Jack Walker in English football in recent times has transformed a backwater football club in the way that Reading has been transformed under JM ?

Its a quite remarkable acheivement and the fact that he's still trying to it whilst balancing the books and leaving some sort of secure legacy is to his credit.

It doesn't make him above reproach or criticism of course and I've no doubt when/if he does leave he will have earned a pretty penny from his time with us. Surely though, it also doesn't warrant some of the vitriol and accusations that are thrown his way by some who have been watching the benefits of his actions over the last 15 years or so.

I totally agree.

Madejski has been a god send for this little club and we owe him a massive debt of gratitude for what he's done.

Nobody really knows how much freedom he's given Coppell to strengthen his squad this season or last but the indications are that he's stumped up enough cash to give Coppell a chance. Have we used that cash well? It doesn't appear so from the outside.

I'm sure strap posted the 2007 wage bill somewhere recently, and it was something like £26m. If you compare that to the published wage bill for '06 for the likes of Villa (£26m), Blackburn (£33), Bolton (£28m), Middlesborough (£29m), West Ham (£28m), Wigan (£20m), Charlton (£33m) then we're not miles away from the rest, even taking a inflationary hike for those clubs from '06 to '07. We're by no means a top payer, but we are in and around the same ball park for the lower half of the spending table.

I do wish we'd see a little less chest thumping and preaching from club staff though. We know what needs to happen, and all this spouting off in the media does very little to improve the situation.

Intriguing that our wage bill is sitting around teams like that, I expected it to be vastly lower than Villa and Boro for starters. I suppose we are in a catch 22 situation, we are paying the money to our current squad but can't entice the sort of quality of player that those other teams can attract. Of course Wigan are the exception to this rule but even they manage to get in players of a decent standard. I just don't see how this scenario can be changed, a few more seasons in the Premiership might help but if we can't rely on youth coming through to supplement the current squad then how will it be achieved?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 27 Feb 2008 12:53

My god you truly put the gull in gullible!!

So one of his employees came up with the idea and he fought it tooth and nail before reluctantly agreeing to allow his name to be used (modest guy as he is). Likewise he wasn't keen to have a hotel, art gallery and a City Academy named after him. And, of course, I didn't really see him proudly point out the said academy named after him when one of the footie programmes ran a feature on him. I obviously don't know how it really came about so can only express my views on what happened, which may, of course, be completely wrong.

However, having listened to your argument, I am now completely convinced that there is no truth whatsoever in the rumour that anyone wishing to buy the club would have to retain the stadium name for a defined period of time.

dixeyroyal23

by dixeyroyal23 » 27 Feb 2008 13:07

Quite agree, yet another article in the current bun today where JM describes his intent on selling the club. In our current position maybe a well equipped championship club pushing for promotion is a much better buying buying prospect then a struggling prem team?

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 27 Feb 2008 13:12

dixeyroyal23 Quite agree, yet another article in the current bun today where JM describes his intent on selling the club. In our current position maybe a well equipped championship club pushing for promotion is a much better buying buying prospect then a struggling prem team?

It didn't hurt Derby

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 27 Feb 2008 13:23

I think David Beckham should buy our club.

Better him than Branson.

'Beckham gets us out of a pickle' etc etc.

f uc k me i'm bored.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 27 Feb 2008 13:38

RG30 4 years ago, this club were training at Bradfield College during the summer months, and Reading Hockey Club during the winter. It was through the Chairman's desire that we finally got a respectable training ground that has now been developed to the standard that will last long after the Chairman has gone.

It's easy pointing fingers when things aern't going well, only a few months ago I was aiming my verbal's at him but regardless of what happens, this football club will be in a far better position than the one that got promoted 2 years ago. By all means, they're are things that iritate me but generally speaking, we've come a hell of a long way in such a short space of time.

If we survive, then great. I think we'll see a change in attitude as a club generally though and it wouldn't surprise me that should we survive, Mr Madejski will actively look for outside investment because it's clear he can't/won't support a Premiership club because the numbers keeps rising season in season out.

Hmmmm. As I understand it the Hogwood park training ground is 100% owned by JM. The only connection for RFC is that he rents it to them. So I would not be so sure about the last part of the first paragraph.

The cynical among us might suggest that there is a possibilty that some time in the future the odd house or two might be built in the vicinity.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 Feb 2008 15:38

He could have vetoed it quite easilly..... assuming you believe that it wasn't his idea.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Feb 2008 15:44

RoyalBlue

So one of his employees came up with the idea and he fought it tooth and nail before reluctantly agreeing to allow his name to be used (modest guy as he is). Likewise he wasn't keen to have a hotel, art gallery and a City Academy named after him. And, of course, I didn't really see him proudly point out the said academy named after him when one of the footie programmes ran a feature on him. I obviously don't know how it really came about so can only express my views on what happened, which may, of course, be completely wrong.

However, having listened to your argument, I am now completely convinced that there is no truth whatsoever in the rumour that anyone wishing to buy the club would have to retain the stadium name for a defined period of time.

the hotel is called the millenium

HTH

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 27 Feb 2008 16:07

brendywendy
RoyalBlue

the hotel is called the millenium

HTH

Actually it doesn't help at all since the hotel is called the Millennium Madejski Hotel

http://www.millenniumhotels.co.uk/mille ... index.html

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Feb 2008 16:31

rob the royal personally i don't want to hear the chairman constantly telling the fans that their so important and to make lots of noise. how many people will actually watch that video they just made and say 'Yeah i've been coming to reading for x years and not ever been bothered about being a vocal supporter of the team and the guy shouting back the boys and make some noise before the game has never got me going but but now i've seen that video of the chairman i will be the loudest fan reading have ever had' i mean he's not exactly winston churchill is he?

i can't see why some people think that just because the guy has clearly done a lot for the club he can't be criticised for making what i think is a major major error. you need to speculate to accumulate, and yes money doesn't buy success, especially if you buy the wrong players like fulham, but that's just the risk that you have to take. as someone else said earlier the club came to a fork in the road where there was the opportunity to gamble. i don't think we would have needed to spend a huge amount to make this gamble, but as far as i can see the amount we have spent looks to me like the club has chickened out. and yes there are good reasons to do so - why blow a load of money just to get relegated?

but if you don't try you don't get. and for me the premier league is a league where if you don't keep trying (i.e. improving your squad) then you'll get left behind quicker than you would in the leagues below. everyone always says the prem is a massive step up, and it is, in every way - and that includes the amounts of money and the amount of risk.

for the past few seasons i've had a habit of comparing the squad list to that of the previous season, and i have felt for several years that we've always been improving and getting rid of the dead wood. but this year (up until january at least) i have not felt this to be the case and nobody in this league can afford to do that.

I have no problem with justified criticism that can be backed up with some decent facts but nobody on this board knows the situation, is it the JM won't give up the cash, SC won't spend it or that the sort of players we want don't want to join for whatever reason.

It could be any of the above or a combination, who knows.