Will Coppell change it?

Will coppell make more than 3 unforced changes?

Poll ended at 01 Mar 2008 16:52
No
14%
Yes - less than 3
50%
Yes - 3 or more changes
35%

Total votes: 105
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Will Coppell change it?

by Platypuss » 26 Feb 2008 13:18

Tilehurst End Unlikely to blood a lesser experienced right back against Downing.

Seeing as we're in the Prem, that's Murty out then. So; DLC or Rosenior?

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 26 Feb 2008 13:23

A lot of comments and views are about changing players, but we need to look at how the players selected actually play. On Sunday how many crosses into the box did Hunt and Oster actually put in? I don't know the exact number but I can't recall Oster putting any and Hunt did a couple. Whereas Kitson I can remember on a least 2 occasions putting a cross in!!

Where are the overlapping runs from Shorey and Murty? Why is the Centre forward out on the wing putting a cross in?

Cisse had an off day and was at fault for the first goal, but did you all notice Harper fall over in midfield and therefore did not get back to pick up Young?

We need the 'freshen' the team up but wholesale player changes are not the answer.

USA
Murty Cisse Ivar Shorey
Kebe Bikey Matejovsky Hunt
Kitson Lita

Bench: Harper, DLC, Long, Doyle, Fed

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Feb 2008 13:37

Blue and White Toucan A lot of comments and views are about changing players, but we need to look at how the players selected actually play. On Sunday how many crosses into the box did Hunt and Oster actually put in? I don't know the exact number but I can't recall Oster putting any and Hunt did a couple. Whereas Kitson I can remember on a least 2 occasions putting a cross in!!

Where are the overlapping runs from Shorey and Murty? Why is the Centre forward out on the wing putting a cross in?

Cisse had an off day and was at fault for the first goal, but did you all notice Harper fall over in midfield and therefore did not get back to pick up Young?

We need the 'freshen' the team up but wholesale player changes are not the answer.

USA
Murty Cisse Ivar Shorey
Kebe Bikey Matejovsky Hunt
Kitson Lita

Bench: Harper, DLC, Long, Doyle, Fed

rosi for murts and im totally with you on that team

Upper West?!?

by Upper West?!? » 26 Feb 2008 14:27

I see 5 changes for Saturday.

Marcus-----(he's generally been more of an asset than a liability

Rosenior----(Murty's time is past, so make the change now and give Rosenior a run)
Bikey--------(It seems he had a good ANC until his rush of blood, and it sounds that he played well for the reserves)
Ivar----------(He will help organise the back line, and generally doesn't make big errors)
Shorey-------(DLC doesn't off much more in free play, and Shorey's dead ball skills are needed)

Kebe----------(I hope I never see Oster play again)
Marek---------(Off day against Villa, but still our best creative player from what we've seen)
Harper--------(I don't see a better alternative on the bench)
Hunt----------(Is he really Reading's best player? Who'd a thot it?)

Kitson---------(Gotta have some height up front and defending corners)
Lita-----------(There must be a change up front, and Lita has more to offer than Long)

Sonic

by Sonic » 26 Feb 2008 14:37

-----------------Federici----------------

Rosenior- -- --Ivar-- -Bikey-- - --Shorey

--------- ---- ----Cisse----- ----- ------

Kebe- -- --Matejovsky-- -Harper-- --Hunt

----------- --- -Lita--------------------

Subs:
Hahnemann
Gunnarson
Convey
Kitson
Long

Dropping Murts is a big decision, but would send out the right message to the squad - we've got to get better no matter who you are. The toughest call is in goal, I've gone with Fed but only just as experience counts for a lot. We've got to have an attacking bench as draws are unlikely to save us.
Last edited by Sonic on 26 Feb 2008 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

Howser17

by Howser17 » 26 Feb 2008 16:06

Ian Royal
Howser17 USA

Rosenior
Ingi
Shorey

Kebe
Marek
Harps
Hunt

Kits
Lita

Wouldn't mind this.. I love Murty, and he tries so hard, however he is slow and fresh blood should be given a chance with Rosenior, or maybe de la cruz (no he is not fresh blood). The other changes that may be deemed "big changes" with sir steve would be to start with kebe and lita. Oster just doesn't crack it, crosses the ball well but apart from that he is rubish, ands looks out of shape as well. Lita i feel has to start.

Are you just assuming Sonko has already been sent off?

Ha ha, well that could be an assumption!! Error made, Bikey to join in with the fun, Sonks on bench. I pick him over Cisse at this point purely to add some variation which i feel is needed.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 26 Feb 2008 17:46

coppel said on ssnews he is prepared to make wholesale changes, cant wait

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Feb 2008 14:54

He's starting to change his mind again!

Faith is starting to come back and therefore he doesn't 'think there will be many changes'.

Leroy 'has started seven or eight and not scored'

Now remind me how many Doyle has started and not scored?!!! :twisted:

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 29 Feb 2008 15:03

RoyalBlue He's starting to change his mind again!

Faith is starting to come back and therefore he doesn't 'think there will be many changes'.

This better be a wind up.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 29 Feb 2008 15:10

With respect, isn't that taking his comments a bit out of context? The preceding sentence was: "he's had opportunities, it's not as if he's crying out [to be picked]."

This in response to a question about Lita, not Doyle, and fair comment in my opinion, even though I would like to see Lita take Doyle's place. If anything, though, it is Long who should feel most hard done by, as he has not had the opportunity to disappoint, unlike Doyle and Lita.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 29 Feb 2008 15:31

Marcus

Rosenior
Ivar
Bikey
Shorey

Kebe
Matejovsky
Harper or maybe Cisse
Hunt

Kitson
Lita or Long

This wont happen though.

NWL Royal

by NWL Royal » 29 Feb 2008 15:42

Hahnemann, Rosenior,Shorey,Duberry,Ingimarsson,Kebe,Hunt,Matejovsky,Harper,Lita,Kitson

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 29 Feb 2008 15:51

CMRoyal

With respect, isn't that taking his comments a bit out of context? The preceding sentence was: "he's had opportunities, it's not as if he's crying out [to be picked]."

This in response to a question about Lita, not Doyle, and fair comment in my opinion, even though I would like to see Lita take Doyle's place. If anything, though, it is Long who should feel most hard done by, as he has not had the opportunity to disappoint, unlike Doyle and Lita.

Even putting the preceding sentence in, as you now have, it still reads pretty much like he is dismissing claims that Leroy should be given a start and is pointing to not scoring in seven or eight starts to back that up.

That being the case, the question remains, why does Doyle have a case to remain in the team (ahead of Lita), given the number of non scoring starts he has had? At least Leroy is scoring goals for the reserves.

And no, Skin, it is not a windup. It is SC speaking on the OS.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 29 Feb 2008 15:59

RoyalBlue
CMRoyal

Even putting the preceding sentence in, as you now have, it still reads pretty much like he is dismissing claims that Leroy should be given a start and is pointing to not scoring in seven or eight starts to back that up.

That being the case, the question remains, why does Doyle have a case to remain in the team (ahead of Lita), given the number of non scoring starts he has had? At least Leroy is scoring goals for the reserves.

I'm not sure Doyle does have a case, but that's not what SC was asked. He was asked about Lita. Who knows, had he been asked about Doyle he may have said something similar.

Richi Royal

by Richi Royal » 29 Feb 2008 17:45

This is the thing which frustrates me with Coppell...

Doyle has has 29 starts in the league and in those starts has scored in 3 of those games (derby, Liverpool and fulham) + one sub appearence where he scored two consolation goals. Admittable about 4/5 of the games have been on the wing but so i make out of 24 (apporx) games he has started up front he has not scored in 21 of the games....his last goal was 12 games ago. As well as this in many of the games this season IMO he has not looked likely at any point to score.

Now on to Lita
He has started 7 league games inculding games against Man utd, Chelsea and not scored....therefore he has not scored in 7 games.
For me what Coppell has said is basically an excuse not to play Lita, the key thing for me with Lita is he needs 2 things. 1) Confidence, i am sure if he scores one he will get many more and 2) a run of games....Coppell him self often goes on about how it take a few games for a player to get into a rythem within the team and Litas games have come in two batches of two and a three....sorry Coppell but this is not a run of games...if he gave him 8/9 games in a row where he has not scored (like Doyle !!!) then fair enough make the comments he did, but to say he has not scored in 8 games when he has started pairs and a three, MONTHS apart is a joke IMO.

The other thing he has said which IMO is rubbish is no one has stuck out...and when you mix the awful performance by the ones who are playing then you may understand why i say this...I say this because at the end of the day, what happens in training is irrelevent to saturday afternoon, i dont mean they should dos around in training but if for example Doyle scored 100 goal a day in training, but when given his chances in games he looks like a lost boy, he should not be picked over for example Lita if he scored 20 goals in training everyday but come saturday he looks lively, is a goal threat, maybe bags a goal or two. For me it is all about performance on saturday, another example is Sonko could look a world beater in training but come saturday he is a liablilty, Bikey on the otherhand could look not as good as Sonko in training, but given his chances on saturday he looks, composed, defends well etc, he should play. More factors come into play in games, ability to handle pressure, composure, decision making, communication etc all of which you will not be able to see in training, and a player posessing these skills can make up for other factors. Often the best performers are not the best footballers.
Now i get onto my point, from the fans point of view we only see what happens in games and at the end of the day that is all that matters...what happens in the games.
From what i have seen in various games we have players who in there rare oppertunities, have shown an ability to perform in games. Even in the FA cup, it is a competitive environment.

Rosenior - was superb in the few chances he has had at right back, add to the fact he has played 100 games for Fulham and they were disappointed to lose him as they rated him highly. Remember he only left because he publicly argued with sanchez about long ball tactics. Murty has ben good in games, but he has had many poor.
Ivar - well many will argue he is first choice anyway.
Bikey - almost every time i have seen him i have been impressed, good defender, composed and can spray the ball around. Sonko has been a liability, whereas Bikey has been good. Had a great ACN.
De la - this is the thing which frustrates me - he has been superb everytime he has played (coppell has even said this on many occasions) so he is basically not playing because Coppell want to play Murty, who IMO has not reached the standards of De la....this is a case where he should be playing because he has been the better player.
Fae - who really knows what he is like, we hear what coppell says about defending but from what i have seen Marek is not the best at tracking back but still plays...IMO this is one of the personality clashes he has talked about. also when i watched him for Ivory coast he looked very tidy.
Fed - Much like De la. Has been superb when ever i have seen him except the united replay. makes saves i would never expect him to save and ones Marcus doesnt....another where only doesnt play because of loyalty to USA. His performances have been consistantly 8/9 out of 10. While USA makes saves he is expected to make he only occasionally pulls off unexpected saves which i would expect a premiership keeper to do.
Lita looked lively when he has played, scored bagful for the reserves, scored loads last years.

There are also players like Convey, Long, Oster, Kebe, Duberry who can also put in good performance.
Saying no one is jumping out for a place when we have seen some dyer performances from the current team and some decent performances from the rest in their few chances especially De la, Fed, Bikey and Lita is rubbish IMO.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 29 Feb 2008 18:29

Thanks Richi - you've made the point I was trying to make but CM was failing to get.

Coppell's 'reasons' for not picking Lita are a nonsense when you consider Doyle's record with a consistent run in the first team.

CM I know Coppell wasn't asked about Doyle (it's a shame no one at the press conference was prepared to ask awkward questions like that!), which is why I was posing the question. I'd love to know Coppells answer. Maybe someone else in the media will have the balls to ask the question if Lita is still out in the cold tomorrow and Doyle fails to give us the goal(s) we need.

Bedford Royal

by Bedford Royal » 29 Feb 2008 19:29

I'd put money on him not changing it.

He hasn't got the balls.

Go on Stevie, prove me wrong....

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 29 Feb 2008 19:37

RoyalBlue Thanks Richi - you've made the point I was trying to make but CM was failing to get.

Coppell's 'reasons' for not picking Lita are a nonsense when you consider Doyle's record with a consistent run in the first team.

CM I know Coppell wasn't asked about Doyle (it's a shame no one at the press conference was prepared to ask awkward questions like that!), which is why I was posing the question. I'd love to know Coppells answer. Maybe someone else in the media will have the balls to ask the question if Lita is still out in the cold tomorrow and Doyle fails to give us the goal(s) we need.

Hi RoyalBlue, I did get your point, I was just taking things a bit too literally earlier, for which I apologise (it wasn't deliberate, BTW). But you've kind of made the point I wasn't able to get across, ie the obvious follow-up question to the one about Lita is to make the point about Doyle/Kits; the result otherwise is that people extrapolate or make up their own conclusions about SC's attitude to those players.

If they'd only let us attend a Press Conference, eh? We'd get the right answers out of him :wink:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 29 Feb 2008 19:40

Lita would have a better chance of playing if he changed his attitude and grew up.

fool

by fool » 29 Feb 2008 19:40

Fae?