Today's Balding Guy Quotes

135 posts
Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Today's Balding Guy Quotes

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Mar 2008 20:16

Thou Voice
Hampshire Royal Oh, leave him alone. He's an @rsehole and can't help the sort of stuff he's writing. In fact, I'm so impressed with his style of insults, I'll go further and call him a short, fat, big-nosed @rsehole.

I offer you a mirror and can very well help what I write.

The problem seems to be that far too many people here have their heads buried in the sands of the past.

Or the problem could be that there are too many fans in the game as a whole these days with short-term opinions, who believe any run of form is proof that the manager has lost the plot and needs to be sacked.

Coppell isn't perfect. He has faults, but so does virtually every other manager in the world. He's a team-builder, not a master tactician. The football we play - when it works - is pretty much the kind of football that Div 1 teams of the 70s/80s would play. 4-4-2 with two wingers. No players this season have got to the stage where there legs have gone, so there's no physical reason why any player should be worse than last season. The players can't be faulted for their effort on the whole, so despite him not ranting and raving on the touchline, motivation doesn't seem to be the problem.

We do seem a lot less organised, both in our defending and in our attacking play. Without knowing how training is organised it's hard to suggest why that is, or who to point the finger at if blame lies in that direction.

some have suggested bringing in Sam Allardyce (in fact there hasn't been a single other credible suggestion from nayone thinking he should be sacked) but overlook the fact that his work at another club with troubles this season was hardly convincing - or that his great record in picking up good players for free would be much help to us this year.

Saying all that though, anyone whe refers to the manager by his own self-satisfied joke nickname doesn't come across as someone who actually wants to discuss the subject on any worthwhile level. It's just one of the reasons that Sir Dodger came across as being such a cock, as he skillfully predicted Reading's demise over the last decade.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 05 Mar 2008 20:44

Now this is a post worth replying too...

Rev Algenon Stickleback H Or the problem could be that there are too many fans in the game as a whole these days with short-term opinions, who believe any run of form is proof that the manager has lost the plot and needs to be sacked.

It seems to me, that pretty much any opinion here is not worthy if the poster is not worshiping the balding guy and his staff. Why to be a Reading fan, do you have to support the manager who has made a season's (this) worth of questionable choices.

Coppell isn't perfect. He has faults, but so does virtually every other manager in the world. He's a team-builder, not a master tactician. The football we play - when it works - is pretty much the kind of football that Div 1 teams of the 70s/80s would play. 4-4-2 with two wingers. No players this season have got to the stage where there legs have gone, so there's no physical reason why any player should be worse than last season. The players can't be faulted for their effort on the whole, so despite him not ranting and raving on the touchline, motivation doesn't seem to be the problem.

A team-builder, not this season I am afraid. The team is clearly a shadow of it's former self. If he was a team builder he'd have some kind of rotation system to get the best out of his men rather then keep playing Doyle, Murty, USA who for some insane reason, he would not drop for weeks upon weeks. There is no building going on there that I can see.

We do seem a lot less organised, both in our defending and in our attacking play. Without knowing how training is organised it's hard to suggest why that is, or who to point the finger at if blame lies in that direction.

Would that not be the manager?

some have suggested bringing in Sam Allardyce (in fact there hasn't been a single other credible suggestion from nayone thinking he should be sacked) but overlook the fact that his work at another club with troubles this season was hardly convincing - or that his great record in picking up good players for free would be much help to us this year.

Saying all that though, anyone whe refers to the manager by his own self-satisfied joke nickname doesn't come across as someone who actually wants to discuss the subject on any worthwhile level. It's just one of the reasons that Sir Dodger came across as being such a cock, as he skillfully predicted Reading's demise over the last decade.

The joke nickname?

It was your so called peers on this board who got upset about it and starting having a go. They made it into the joke, from being the original throw away comment.

As for Sir Dodger, I have no idea who he is as I am a Newbie according to some fantastic posters here.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Mar 2008 20:58

Thou Voice
2 world wars, 1 world cup Being upset at a defeat is one thing, but making derogatory comments about the most successful manager in our 136 year history just because you're a little upset at a defeat is totally uncalled for.
- This is our record breaking manager that has just lead us on a record breaking string of eight defeats?

Anyoen who deems it necessary to take the p*ss out of Coppell in the spiteful degrading personal way you have done for no apparent reason can f*ck off, yes. If you don't like some of the things Coppell has done, fair enough. But to resort to that sort of bizzare approach deserves the sort of response you're getting.

We have enough windup merchants here.

So I repeat what I said earlier.

F*ck off newbie.

No - this is not taking the piss, just being saying what happened.

How is anything spiteful or degrading. He did take us on that run. Is that not what happened or were we showered with points during the past couple of months?

As it being a newbie, then fine - you clearly have no ability to have a reasoned conversation and all you can resort to is stating what I am on this board - a newbie - as well as some vulgar language.

A clean and fair response to an aggressive post. Can't fault that. I take back my aggression nd welcome you to the board.

Still wholeheartedly disagree with referring to this guy as "the balding one" though. (and no i'm not bald).

And fully disagree with what you say, because in case we hadn't noticed. WE ARE IN THE PREMIERSHIP. Losing 20 in a row would be good for us in the best league in the world. But he has managed miracles. Bad arguments that I disagree with strongly, but good attitude I applaud. So I'll make amends with you btu will leave this thread graciously as there's nothing more to add.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Mar 2008 21:02

Thou Voice
Rev Algenon Stickleback H Or the problem could be that there are too many fans in the game as a whole these days with short-term opinions, who believe any run of form is proof that the manager has lost the plot and needs to be sacked.

It seems to me, that pretty much any opinion here is not worthy if the poster is not worshiping the balding guy and his staff. Why to be a Reading fan, do you have to support the manager who has made a season's (this) worth of questionable choices.

you don't, but it does help if you at least make the effort to see this is the same manager with the same strengths and weaknesses that we've had for the past few years, rather than jumping to the conclusion that he's suddenly become useless.

A team-builder, not this season I am afraid. The team is clearly a shadow of it's former self. If he was a team builder he'd have some kind of rotation system to get the best out of his men rather then keep playing Doyle, Murty, USA who for some insane reason, he would not drop for weeks upon weeks. There is no building going on there that I can see.

A team builder is one who finds players and builds them into a team. Our inability as a club to find players since promotion is a problem. Our club policy seems to have scouts going out looking for players, but they don't seem to be finding the sort of players Coppell wants.

Given that consistency helps a team "gel", a rotation system would not be any good at all. When it was working it was like the old days, where you could reel off your team's side from 1 to 11. all things being equal, I think most fans would still say, form permitting, that our best XI is still the XI that won promotion (minus sidwell). He may be over-stubborn in his belief that the same XI is still our best side even when players aren't on form, but as much as everyone hear clamours for a dropped player to come in, when they do come in they've very rarely looked any better. Many have touted James Henry as a possible solution to our problems on the right wing, for example, but the fact that he can't get in the Norwich team at the moment doesn't fill me with confidence that he'd be the answer right now either.

Would that not be the manager?

Not always. Quite often the coaches, amazingly enough, deal with the bulk of the coaching.

The joke nickname?

It was your so called peers on this board who got upset about it and starting having a go. They made it into the joke, from being the original throw away comment.

so why stick with it? It's his style, and oddly enough he hasn't been around for a while. Another newbie started posting in a very similar style on the very day Dodger stopped posting.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 05 Mar 2008 21:13

2 world wars, 1 world cup Bad arguments that I disagree with strongly, but good attitude I applaud. So I'll make amends with you btu will leave this thread graciously as there's nothing more to add.

Thank you. I offer a virtual beer to you, 2 World Wars, 1 World Cup.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H ...<SNIP>...

Some very valid points, although I disagree with them, you have not resorted to abuse so thank you for replying with a reasoned argument rather then abuse like some others. I respect that.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H so why stick with it? It's his style, and oddly enough he hasn't been around for a while. Another newbie started posting in a very similar style on the very day Dodger stopped posting.

I can't change my posting style, but if there is any doubt then get a Moderator to check my IP's to verify that I am no shadow of Dodger or whoever he is.

As to why stick with it, I cannot change who I am. This is just the same as those that believe that on the eighth day the management team of RFC built the Madstad and anyone who doubts them can **** off newbie.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 05 Mar 2008 23:56

Gordons Cumming Underacheiving?

Thou voice you really are little misguided or have no grasp of Reading FC history.

How long have you supported this club and more importantly................how old are you?

Indeed....to say we are under-achieving does show a lack of knowledge about our clubs history. The club have considerably over-achieved in the last two/three years and thats part of the problem in that it increases expectations beyond reality. In Premiership terms Reading FC are novices and alongside Wigan the smallest club in terms of actual achievement.
Having said that the club have also been guilty of pretty chronic underachievement for the best part of 135 years with only a handful of seasons in the second tier of English football, an FA Cup Semi Final, Simod Cup and a few lower division titles along the way. When placed into that context Premiership survival will represent a successful season and as Stranded points out I dont care if it means we scrape a number of narrow victories so long as we get the requisite number of points to stay in this league.
It is fair to say we have not played as well as last season but few clubs keep doing better and better each season so it was inevitable at some stage that the successful run would come to an end...its just a question of ensuring survival this season, re-grouping and coming out of the blocks in August in better shape.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Mar 2008 12:21

this seasons always been about survival
no matter what anyone else says

if we manage it, itll be a great achievement, one to rival the championship, and even our 8th place last year

if we make it, it will see 30+ million into our coffers, prem football next year(and so another 30= m guaranteed), our third in a row
this will put us well in the black with JM, a fantastic prospect for anyone looking to purchase a prem club, with the ground expansion ready to go when we need it,we will be able to offer higher wages and fees for players we think will really contribute here, we will be in a really great position, and maybe those players we have struggled to attract so far will be more willing to take a job with us.

this will cement us as the real mold breakers in this league, coming up and spending nowt, staying up, spending nowt(hopefully!) and continuing our stay in the prem by running ourselves like a proper business, living within our means, not overstretching and leaving ourselves vulnerable financially
i couldnt be more proud of this team, whatever happens, but if we manage to stay up, i fear my heart will burst.

yes there have been mistakes this season -but even sir alexes career at Man u is littered with them

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 08 Mar 2008 13:30

Now look what he's saying at Setanta Sports... :shock: (http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/ ... l-on-Lita/)

Coppell appreciates that Lita might feel harshly treated but is prepared to stand by his decision to show him the door, even if he might not have been given a fair crack of the whip.

“I said to him, given the fact that the combination up front was not scoring goals, I can understand why he felt that way, but I couldn’t explain it,” he told Reading’s official website.

“I didn’t have a list of reasons, most people would think that’s what players want to hear and that’s correct, but I didn’t have the answers.

This guy is supposed to be our manager, the leader of the team and he's basically admitting that he's clueless! :o

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Mar 2008 14:10

There should be no doubting Coppell's intelligence and integrity.

Some decisions are made as a result of a balance of gut feelings and observation rather than deep analysis, that is real life. Coppell is big enough to admit that is effectively what has happened here - I doubt there is another manager in the entire 92 clubs who would be so honest, but it is just an example of what makes him unique in football management today.

I find it very refreshing - you find it a demonstration of his incompetence - sobeit eh?

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 08 Mar 2008 18:27

Well at least he is finally learning how to manage a team.

We managed to keep the winning team from last week...

...this is until Murty gets better then he'll be dropped back in due to his loyalty for the Balding Guy and we'll start to lose again.

USA only managed to keep a clean sheet as City didn't have too many shots on goal.

Liam was fantastic - although due to the Murty situation we wont' see too much of him.

There is still plenty to do tho, that hunk of junk that it Doyle who cannot score needs to be removed.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 08 Mar 2008 18:38

Don't know why I'm wasting my time responding to this crap but...

Thou Voice Well at least he is finally learning how to manage a team.

:roll: It's so easy to be voted the best manager in the country 2 years in a row, isn't it. The results must have been pure luck since 2005 because as you so rightly say he doesn't know how to manage a team.

Thou Voice We managed to keep the winning team from last week...

...this is until Murty gets better then he'll be dropped back in due to his loyalty for the Balding Guy and we'll start to lose again.

Coppell never changes a winning team, I bet we won't see Murty come back into the team when he's fit, unless Rosenior's form is poor enough to warrant being dropped.

Thou Voice USA only managed to keep a clean sheet as City didn't have too many shots on goal.

This comment is stupid on many levels - Hahnemann's shot stopping has been fairly good this season, suggesting he's a clown who lets lots of soft shots in is wrong.

Thou Voice There is still plenty to do tho, that hunk of junk that it Doyle who cannot score needs to be removed.

Where do you come up with these incredible nicknames... If you were at the game (I don't know if you were), you would've seen a good performance from Doyle, holding the ball up well, working hard and setting up the first goal. Strikers have to do other things than score.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 08 Mar 2008 18:47

Balding Guy, what's the score?
Balding Guy, Balding Guy, what's the score?

Get in there URZZZZ!

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 08 Mar 2008 18:48

CMRoyal Balding Guy, what's the score?
Balding Guy, Balding Guy, what's the score?

Get in there URZZZZ!

Yes my friend...

...that is brilliant!

Number 9

by Number 9 » 08 Mar 2008 18:56

Thou Voice Well at least he is finally learning how to manage a team.

I think SSC's track record shows that he doesn't need and any management 'lessons'. Certainly not from the likes of you.

Thou Voice We managed to keep the winning team from last week...

Coppell is well known for his policy of not changing a winning team. Why are you supprised?

Thou Voice ...this is until Murty gets better then he'll be dropped back in due to his loyalty for the Balding Guy and we'll start to lose again.

I doubt this will happen if LR maintains the level of performance he showed today.

Thou Voice USA only managed to keep a clean sheet as City didn't have too many shots on goal.

How is this a bad thing? The fewer chances the opposition have the better as far as I'm concerned.

Thou Voice Liam was fantastic - although due to the Murty situation we wont' see too much of him.

See point 3, above.

Thou Voice There is still plenty to do tho, that hunk of junk that it Doyle who cannot score needs to be removed.

I thought Doyle played well today.

There's nothing wrong with constructive critism, but please make sure you can back it up. Otherwise you just look like an idiot.

Have I been whooshed? Or is TV being serious??

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 08 Mar 2008 23:44

Number 9 - scary how similar our posts are.

Or maybe it's because the original arguments were so stupid that the flaws in each one really were that obvious.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Mar 2008 23:54

It is becoming clear that Thou Voice is nothing more than a wind up merchant - not worth dallying with.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Mar 2008 23:58

Thou Voice sh*t. Reading won....

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 09 Mar 2008 00:35

Royal Rother It is becoming clear that Thou Voice is nothing more than a wind up merchant - not worth dallying with.

Because my thoughts are different from other lemmings and I am not prepared to follow the Balding Guy and his mismanagement style without questioning him?

No.

Because it's easier to write off people with opinions rather then enter simple debate. Again you disappoint me.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Mar 2008 00:47

Thou Voice
Royal Rother It is becoming clear that Thou Voice is nothing more than a wind up merchant - not worth dallying with.

Because my thoughts are different from other lemmings and I am not prepared to follow the Balding Guy and his mismanagement style without questioning him?

No.

Because it's easier to write off people with opinions rather then enter simple debate. Again you disappoint me.

Thou Voice
sh*t, Reading won....again

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Mar 2008 15:08

Thou Voice

No.

No, because your opinions and comments really are too outrageous and stupid to be anything other than a wind up.

135 posts