The team is finally evolving

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

Re: The team is finally evolving

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 25 Mar 2008 09:35

I came away from Saturday's game thinking that we were seeing the beginnng of the end of the championship winning side.

I'm still not convinced that a centre-midfield pairing of Harper & Marek works as neither tackles very well, so I'd like to see us find a proper Sidwell replacement. Right wing is still a problem as Blakey probably won't last a whole season - if he comes back at all. We do need some better strikers; Lita is obviously on his way out &, for all his work, Long never looks to carry much of a threat. Given Shorey's contract situation, I can see him leaving in the summer, regrettably.

So, I do think we'll be seeing a fair bit of transfer activity this year - but I thought that last year too.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Mar 2008 10:36

really want to see pearce, karacan, henry, kanu
start to stake claims for places next season, if coppell can bring through one or two youngsters we coukld be set for a while

karacan is that box to box midfielder who could add real bite to mareks class
pearce could be the ball playing central defender to replace ivar when he gets too old
on the right id like to see little fit again, kebe get some games, and henry to start pushing, or its time he went, i think oster deserves to stay, but if we buy, he will go

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 25 Mar 2008 11:47

If Blakey doesn't come back, then Matejovsky to RW and Fae to replace him in CM might be an option.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 25 Mar 2008 12:11

Great Knolly If Blakey doesn't come back, then Matejovsky to RW and Fae to replace him in CM might be an option.

Marek's passing skills and especially his vision (we've had no one at the club to match him in this respect for a long time) are best suited to Centre Midfield IMO.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 25 Mar 2008 12:20

brendywendy really want to see pearce, karacan, henry, kanu
start to stake claims for places next season, if coppell can bring through one or two youngsters we coukld be set for a while

karacan is that box to box midfielder who could add real bite to mareks class
pearce could be the ball playing central defender to replace ivar when he gets too old
on the right id like to see little fit again, kebe get some games, and henry to start pushing, or its time he went, i think oster deserves to stay, but if we buy, he will go

Still think the youngsters are some way off. Pearce maybe as cover, but the rest are no way near Premiership class. Doing it for Southend or Bournemouth is one thing. Henry's not even done it for Norwich.

I just pray we don't take the risks again this summer. This season showed you can't rely on squad players, you need to evolve the squad by bringing in players better than you have.

It doesn't need to much, but 3 to 4 players better than what we have is what we need, not players who aren't as good as the team who got us promoted.

And don't start with the Marek can play right wing crap.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 25 Mar 2008 12:22

Old Biscuitman
Great Knolly If Blakey doesn't come back, then Matejovsky to RW and Fae to replace him in CM might be an option.

Marek's passing skills and especially his vision (we've had no one at the club to match him in this respect for a long time) are best suited to Centre Midfield IMO.

How about buying a right winger?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 25 Mar 2008 12:33

papereyes
Old Biscuitman

Neil Hamilton's quite cheap

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 25 Mar 2008 13:26

pearcetom btw what happened to bobby convey? he seems to have done a john halls and vanished!

He was sat up in the West Upper on Saturday. Think he's still out with a knee injury.

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 25 Mar 2008 13:28

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe And don't start with the Marek can play right wing crap.

Don't worry. I have very little influence over team selection :-) Ideally Marek probably is better off in the centre, though his defensive qualities aren't brilliant. Just an idea for if Glenda struggles to come back.

If you were going to build a team around Marek it would be something more like...

______________Fae____Harper

Little/Oster_______Marek__________Hunt

________________Kitson

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 25 Mar 2008 13:28

I would like to see Bobby Convey sold, since promotion his contribution has been of little to note, and is prone to injuries. I'm sure we could recoup our transfer fee paid out again. He'll be at the end of his 4th season this summer and has he lived up to the hype and ability, probably not.

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 25 Mar 2008 13:45

southbank1871
pearcetom btw what happened to bobby convey? he seems to have done a john halls and vanished!

He was sat up in the West Upper on Saturday. Think he's still out with a knee injury.
No he's not - he's turning out for the stiffs tonight. Don't think it's his first game for them recently, either.

EDIT: no it isnt - he played in the last 2 reserve games, too.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 25 Mar 2008 13:46

Ah fair enough, he's just not making the squad then.

zummerset

by zummerset » 25 Mar 2008 14:12

How much money does the club have to invest - does anyone have an idea of the funds that could be available assuming survival this season and what is the source of this info?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Mar 2008 14:14

Great Knolly
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe And don't start with the Marek can play right wing crap.

Don't worry. I have very little influence over team selection :-) Ideally Marek probably is better off in the centre, though his defensive qualities aren't brilliant. Just an idea for if Glenda struggles to come back.

If you were going to build a team around Marek it would be something more like...

______________Fae____Harper

Little/Oster_______Marek__________Hunt

________________Kitson

like to see that for the tougher away games actually

though could do with a defence :wink:

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 25 Mar 2008 16:15

Lita. Just had a word with a mate of mine who's a season ticket holder at Charlton. "We call him half a litre. He's short and cra*p. Has hardly touched the ball. He's not interested. Keeps falling over. Perhaps him filming his todger was the equivalent of Samson's hair being cut off. Lost his mojo".

So. Hardly a ringing endorsement. Of more concern to me than "will he ever play well for us again" is will we get the money we could have got for him after the U21s last summer. What a waste and what a shame. I really hope he gets it together, if not for us, then for someone. Let's hope he's bright enough to realise that being superbaaad comes at a price and that he knuckles down.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Mar 2008 16:16

Tommy Youlden's Ears Lita. Just had a word with a mate of mine who's a season ticket holder at Charlton. "We call him half a litre. He's short and cra*p. Has hardly touched the ball. He's not interested. Keeps falling over. Perhaps him filming his todger was the equivalent of Samson's hair being cut off. Lost his mojo".

So. Hardly a ringing endorsement. Of more concern to me than "will he ever play well for us again" is will we get the money we could have got for him after the U21s last summer. What a waste and what a shame. I really hope he gets it together, if not for us, then for someone. Let's hope he's bright enough to realise that being superbaaad comes at a price and that he knuckles down.

if the rumoured 6 million bid comes in for him from watford

i would snap their whole arm off

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 25 Mar 2008 16:25

brendywendy
Tommy Youlden's Ears Lita. Just had a word with a mate of mine who's a season ticket holder at Charlton. "We call him half a litre. He's short and cra*p. Has hardly touched the ball. He's not interested. Keeps falling over. Perhaps him filming his todger was the equivalent of Samson's hair being cut off. Lost his mojo".

if the rumoured 6 million bid comes in for him from watford

i would snap their whole arm off
I think we'll be extremely lucky to be offered half that.

aardvark

by aardvark » 25 Mar 2008 16:34

I think Matejovsky is great - the sort of player who can do something beyond the ordinary, because of that I can forgive his slightly ineffective tackling and agree that this needs to come from somewhere else in midfield. Rosenior is also looking very good, Bikey too but trying not to let my judgement be overly coloured just by his goals/performance v B'ham.
Midfield of Matejovsky, Harper, Hunt and a tough tackler would suit me. Everywhere else looks OK to me, unless Berbatov decides he'd like to spend some time in Berkshire - think he could squeeze into the team somewhere.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 25 Mar 2008 16:36

papereyes
Old Biscuitman

Yes, a better idea - essential in fact.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Mar 2008 16:50

Old Biscuitman
papereyes
Old Biscuitman

Yes, a better idea - essential in fact.

what if little comes back better than ever after his rest
oster continues to improve-finishing with a hattrick vs derby
kebe starts to look less like bambi, more like kujo?

It is currently 05 Oct 2024 16:23