Would you want Sidwell back?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 143
gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

Re: Would you want Sidwell back?

by gazzer, loyal royal » 25 Mar 2008 23:35

i think the club won't do clauses after andy hughes had the clause inserted that if he was fit he was in the first eleven

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 26 Mar 2008 00:03

Yes I would to partner Marek, but I agree with what others have said in that he'll probably end up at a Villa or a Newcastle.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 26 Mar 2008 00:19

Sidwell and Matejovsky is a really decent Premiership midfield

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 26 Mar 2008 01:25

Having finally started to rebuild our Championship side why weaken it by bringing back one of it's run-of-the-mill performers?

There's a reason why Sidwell has made no impact whatsover at Chelsea................he isn't very good at this level.

Just as Pardew walking out made way for a manager who had the abiility to take us to the next level, Sidwell's place has been taken by a player of far superior ability and I'll take James Harpers 5 goals from not many more attempts over Sidwells countless misses of last season.

He won't be back and we don't need him.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Mar 2008 01:33

Woodcote Royal Having finally started to rebuild our Championship side why weaken it by bringing back one of it's run-of-the-mill performers?

There's a reason why Sidwell has made no impact whatsover at Chelsea................he isn't very good at this level.

Just as Pardew walking out made way for a manager who had the abiility to take us to the next level, Sidwell's place has been taken by a player of far superior ability and I'll take James Harpers 5 goals from not many more attempts over Sidwells countless misses of last season.

He won't be back and we don't need him.

Ah Woodcote old chum. Wondered when you would show up to the party. Remember fondly your rear-guard anti-Sidwell campaign last year.

Still think it would be good to have Sidders back...

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 26 Mar 2008 03:49

Were there any rumours of us selling him last January? I was wondering what he would have fetched in transfer fees a year ago January? We would not have finished 8th but I think it would be safe to assume we would have stayed up whether he was here or not from Feb forward. Hindsight is 20/20, but if we knew we could not afford him I wonder if the club had any discussions of cashing in.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 26 Mar 2008 08:41

Woodcote Royal Just as Pardew walking out made way for a manager who had the abiility to take us to the next level

Oh pleassseee... :roll:

Mr Sidwell was one of the cornerstones of RFC and without him our lack of ability in the midfield has shone through this year. Our recent eight game run is worth pointing at. Although good, Marek has had equal good games with bad games.

We as a club would be insane (far more then what has been demonstrated already) to turn down a chance to bring this man back. I doubt that it would ever happen as I am sure that Mr Sidwell has already seen how much more transparency there is in our value as a club this year and could not risk being brought into our crusade of will we / won't we fall into the fizzy pop league this year / next year / soon battles. These are the battles that are going to plague us until serious internal changes are made at the club.

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 26 Mar 2008 08:47

winchester_royal What sidwell could have done is signed a 2 year deal at the start of last season with a clause that lets him leave if a club offered 3 million, as it was we missed out on a sizable fee for an excellent player

Even so, we are evolving into a new reading.....no looking back

Nice idea. But the reason so many people go on Bosmans is they know (and their agents know) that the money saved on the transfer fee is likely to be paid to them in wages. So he'd effectively be costing himself 3 million quid to help us out. Would you do that ?

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 26 Mar 2008 08:55

YES

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 26 Mar 2008 08:58

No, and, just to be controversial, I wouldnt want Harper to be left out. Its rare to have an ever present in the team and with Murty gone and Shorey probably going, REading should keep a midfielder who has been at the club donkeys years - he's a true Royal and has done nothing to really merit him being dropped. Majetovsky is an interesting player who needs a run - and he should be partnering Harper for the foreseeable. Of the midfielders, its Convey who we should be thinking of replacing.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 26 Mar 2008 08:58

RG30 No, he's moved on and we've moved on.

Or rather he has moved on and we have moved downwards-look at the league table.
I would love to have him back-Coppell knows his capabilities inside out having managed him at 3 different clubs.
We know what we would be getting unlike with Fae,Kebe and Cisse who have cost us £4 million or so and none command a regular first team place.
Sidwell>Fae and Cisse.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 26 Mar 2008 09:02

He was back last night watching the darts at the Mad stad.
(Our best player was John Oster – not often you can say that!)

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Mar 2008 09:07

BR2
RG30 No, he's moved on and we've moved on.

Or rather he has moved on and we have moved downwards-look at the league table.

Or rather his move on has stalled, and we haved moved back to where realistically we should be at this stage in our development.

I just can't see him ever swallowing his pride enough to come back.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 26 Mar 2008 09:10

winchester_royal After the treachery.......

You really are a fooking plank.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 26 Mar 2008 09:11

Dr Hfuhruhurr No, and, just to be controversial, I wouldnt want Harper to be left out. Its rare to have an ever present in the team and with Murty gone and Shorey probably going, REading should keep a midfielder who has been at the club donkeys years - he's a true Royal and has done nothing to really merit him being dropped. Majetovsky is an interesting player who needs a run - and he should be partnering Harper for the foreseeable. Of the midfielders, its Convey who we should be thinking of replacing.

Agreed, although it would be nice to see Harper learn how to become a box to box, ball winning midfielder. If you could combine Sidwell and Harps into one person, you'd have a very good player. Obviously, that's not going to happen, but if Harps could just be a bit stronger in the challenge, it would imprrove his game greatly. He's got the fitness, the range of passing, he scores important goals, he's a much better finisher than Sidwell, he just can't tackle!

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 26 Mar 2008 09:27

Anybody who thinks Reading Football Club could afford to turn down a player of Sidwell's quality is living in dreamland I'm afraid.

Have people already forgotten the trudging performances of Gunarsson earlier in the season? The fact that we're on the brink of relegation?

Have a look.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 26 Mar 2008 09:27

Thou Voice
Woodcote Royal Just as Pardew walking out made way for a manager who had the abiility to take us to the next level

Mr Sidwell was one of the cornerstones of RFC and without him our lack of ability in the midfield has shone through this year. Our recent eight game run is worth pointing at. Although good, Marek has had equal good games with bad games.

High energy players like Sidwell (and I've never accused him of lack of effort) do help compensate for a lack of ability in midfield and that was more than useful last season.

But, if we want to establish ourselves at this level we need better players and, whatever Harpers faults and regardless of whether he keeps his place in the side, he has more to offer at this level than Sidwell.

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 26 Mar 2008 09:32

Woodcote Royal
Thou Voice

High energy players like Sidwell (and I've never accused him of lack of effort) do help compensate for a lack of ability in midfield and that was more than useful last season.

But, if we want to establish ourselves at this level we need better players and, whatever Harpers faults and regardless of whether he keeps his place in the side, he has more to offer at this level than Sidwell.

I think I probably agree with you although you're a little OTT with some of your thoughts.

I'm not convinced that Sidwell is all he's cracked up to be.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 26 Mar 2008 09:37

Yes, our squad has suffered from strength in depth this season and relying on a player like Gunnarsson to carrying on playing central midfield at this level would be laughable. A midfield threesome of Sidwell, Marek and Harper would be good at this level, though of course the starting two would be up for debate

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 26 Mar 2008 09:44

Of course. We need strength in depth. He is not a traitor, but a very solid professional. I don't go for this 'never go back' bollix. He could still do a really really good job for us.