Who will go down?

289 posts

Who do you think will occupy the final relegation place with Derby and Fulham?

Middlesbrough
1%
Wigan
2%
Reading
9%
Newcastle
14%
Sunderland
12%
Birmingham
7%
Bolton
54%

Total votes: 358
LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Who will go down?

by LUX » 07 Apr 2008 10:27

despite an awful result/performance on Saturday, we are actually better of than before the weekend. Bolton even inched closer to our (abysmal) goal difference. Which is nice.

Let's give Bolton six points from their two remaining home games.

That puts them level on points with us (and a better gd). They then have three away games, Boro, Spurs, Chelsea. Let's say they draw all three. That means Bolton lose NO more games this season. It would also mean we need four more points (under that pretty pessimistic scenario) to stay ahead of them. Of course any points they drop at home would reduce that target significantly.

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 07 Apr 2008 10:31

I haven't posted much on this thread. Originally after seeing them lose at our place, I though Birmingham. But now it must be hard for the fans of Fulham and Bolton to be positive.

Someone on here often posts a link to their equivalent of Hob Nob so we can share their pain

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Apr 2008 10:36

My Fulham mate is just glad we can't relegate them this weekend, beyond that he's already given up the ghost.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 Apr 2008 10:43

I think Bolton & Fulham are both doomed. Fairly obviously, for a team to climb away from relegation they have to improve their form, but if anything the recent form of both teams is getting worse - it's certainly worse than their season-long form.

I just cannot see them turning it round enough to get over the points we have now, let alone if we pick up some more, as I'm sure we will.

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 07 Apr 2008 11:08

Factfinder I haven't posted much on this thread. Originally after seeing them lose at our place, I though Birmingham. But now it must be hard for the fans of Fulham and Bolton to be positive.

Someone on here often posts a link to their equivalent of Hob Nob so we can share their pain

OK - I'll do it!

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/viewtopic.php?t=14900

http://www.boltonbanter.com/forum/view_topic.php?id=11631&forum_id=2

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=80&fid=54&sty=2&act=1&mid=2129995690

Fulham, couldn't find anything, they're all quiet.

When you do a search like this, you realise how good HNA really is.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 07 Apr 2008 12:22

Last edited by JC on 07 Apr 2008 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 Apr 2008 12:25

Fulhamkev If, 10 days ago, you could have the choice of 2 fixtures, 1 home and 1 away, to help us out of our current predicament - who would you have chosen????
Well, we haven't won away for over 18 months, which is more than embarrassing, so Derby away (the worst team in Premiership history) would have been the perfect away fixture, especially with the great support we took up there, 2000+ noisy, passionate fans.

The perfect home fixture (no you can't pick Derby again!!) - would be another newly promoted team, who are bottom 8 and have lost their last 14 matches in London!!! Sunderland.

With Liverpool possibly in Champs League semi 3 days after we meet (deja vu?) - and Pompey away last game (in FA Cup final) - we couldn't have asked for a more perfect run-in.

Our last 2 games HAD to give us 6 points - 6 EASY POINTS - as it stands we got ONE lousy point from these 2 fixtures - which just tells me we are NOT good enough. No-one looks like they give a fcuk except Bullard, so why should we carry on giving a fcuk?? I'm not going to any more away games until we drop a league.

How the hell have we ended up with 1 point from Derby away and Sunderland at home?? 4 points would have been crap!!

by 1960 » 07 Apr 2008 13:05

Dirk Gently
Fulhamkev With Liverpool possibly in Champs League semi 3 days after we meet (deja vu?)

Deja vu indeed. Liverpool gifted them 3 points last season which more or less made them safe. If Liverpool help them out again I'll be well pissed off.

However: Liverpool may not make it to the semi. Arsenal need a win or a 2-2 draw to go through (or a 1-1 and win on pens) - not impossible. And Liverpool will still need the insurance policy of coming fourth in case they don't win the Euro thing. Everton are close and Liverpool can't afford to throw away 3 points this time.

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 07 Apr 2008 13:43

Cheers JC.
Yes, I found that one as well, but it didn't have that many responses. Most of the posts have only one or two replies so I didn't think it was very representative. Couldn't find much else hence my comment about how spoiled we were with the excellent HNA.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 07 Apr 2008 13:49

howser Even though we have been poor, Fulham and Bolton have been dire I fully expect us to stay up with the lowest amount of points needed since the Premiership began, most seasons we would nearly be dead and burried by now ! so the real question has to be what have we learnt from this pretty dismal season ??

Birmingham will stay up with less points than us.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 Apr 2008 14:14

M Brook
howser Even though we have been poor, Fulham and Bolton have been dire I fully expect us to stay up with the lowest amount of points needed since the Premiership began, most seasons we would nearly be dead and burried by now ! so the real question has to be what have we learnt from this pretty dismal season ??

I agree, but I'd actually say Birmingham will stay up with fewer points than us.

Cookie

by Cookie » 07 Apr 2008 19:32

Dirk Gently
M Brook

I agree, but I'd actually say Birmingham will stay up with fewer points than us.

Cookie

by Cookie » 14 Apr 2008 22:28

Bolton boss Gary Megson thinks his side's 1-0 win over West Ham means that Birmingham, Fulham, Reading and themselves are locked in a four-way battle for Premier League survival.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/match_of_the_day/7344659.stm

working class hero

by working class hero » 14 Apr 2008 23:23

I enjoyed every single season in the second tier. I have not enjoyed the PL at all. Overpriced crap with lots of diving prima donnas.

Whilst I would be sad for the players if we were to be relegated I think I might enjoy the football more next season.

If we survive I will certainly have to consider whether it is worth having a ST to watch yet another struggle....

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 15 Apr 2008 00:03

working class hero I enjoyed every single season in the second tier. I have not enjoyed the PL at all. Overpriced crap with lots of diving prima donnas.

Whilst I would be sad for the players if we were to be relegated
I think I might enjoy the football more next season.

If we survive I will certainly have to consider whether it is worth having a ST to watch yet another struggle....

Why though? No doubt offers would come in from some Prem Cubs for a few of them, like Shorey and Roseniour and possibly one or two others. Their professional pride may be hurt but will they suffer financiially?

If we do get relegated I can see quite a few years would be required in building up a new team.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Apr 2008 08:01

working class hero If we survive I will certainly have to consider whether it is worth having a ST to watch yet another struggle....

Yet another struggle? Jeez!! :shock:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Apr 2008 08:50

Can we have another vote please? The little glimmer of hope I had has been extinguished after Saturday's farcical performance by players and management.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that there is widespread discord amongst players/management and that Coppell has lost the 'dressing room' at a critical stage in the season.

A tremendous team unity used to be one of the main things working in our favour. Now that has gone ..........

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 15 Apr 2008 09:03

RoyalBlue Can we have another vote please? The little glimmer of hope I had has been extinguished after Saturday's farcical performance by players and management.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that there is widespread discord amongst players/management and that Coppell has lost the 'dressing room' at a critical stage in the season.

A tremendous team unity used to be one of the main things working in our favour. Now that has gone ..........

Plus Murts is out of the team atm...Even though i won't be suprised if he plays against Arsenal.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 15 Apr 2008 09:11

All Bolton/Birmingham have to do is draw level with Reading on points to go above them. Our goal difference is so shite it is almost like having one less point. That's with Arsenal away to come too

:|

Bolton at Boro this weekend. Boro can mathematically put themselves safe with a win, lets hope for that outcome.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 15 Apr 2008 09:21

Still reckon we will fook it up away to Derby and slip down on the last day of the season.

289 posts