higher
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Shane Long

by higher » 12 Apr 2008 20:28

Kevin Golden Bollox. Chortle!! :lol:

dean horrix legend

by dean horrix legend » 12 Apr 2008 20:47

Shane Long isn't really the problem,it's the supply to him.The same could be said of all our forwards,I'm sure if the midfield could supply some chances in a game,the forwards will put one away occasionaly.Today I can only recall one chance created and Doyle missed it,not Long.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 12 Apr 2008 20:49

dean horrix legend Shane Long isn't really the problem,it's the supply to him.The same could be said of all our forwards,I'm sure if the midfield could supply some chances in a game,the forwards will put one away occasionaly.Today I can only recall one chance created and Doyle missed it,not Long.

He'd have trouble forcing a chance being glued inside Hangeland's pocket.

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 13 Apr 2008 07:26

dean horrix legend Shane Long isn't really the problem,it's the supply to him.The same could be said of all our forwards,I'm sure if the midfield could supply some chances in a game,the forwards will put one away occasionaly.Today I can only recall one chance created and Doyle missed it,not Long.

When he comes off the bench against a tiring defence he can create things for himself or others.

Hence that is where he is most effective. And what his role probably should be at this moment in time.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 13 Apr 2008 07:51

Frankly I think people who come on here and say "I know Shaun Long isn't Pele but...." should be banned as plastic fans who are bad for team morale.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 13 Apr 2008 08:21

He didn't play well, does that mean he's rubbish now?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 13 Apr 2008 08:50

readingbedding He didn't play well, does that mean he's rubbish now?

He's not rubbish, he's just not up to premiership standard but this isn't a new phenomenon, he never has been.

I've never bought into this rubbish about his great potential, he's a fit, fast, athletic forward was bags of enthusiasm and very little talent. He should not be starting ahead of Kitson or Lita or, probably, Cox if he hadn't been flogged off for a pittance.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 13 Apr 2008 09:24

Schards#2

He's not rubbish, he's just not up to premiership standard but this isn't a new phenomenon, he never has been.

I've never bought into this rubbish about his great potential, he's a fit, fast, athletic forward was bags of enthusiasm and very little talent. He should not be starting ahead of Kitson or Lita or, probably, Cox if he hadn't been flogged off for a pittance.

Cox was sold to Swindon, so he has a long way to go to be Premiership standard also.

I think Long is a decent squad player for us, if Kitson hadn't had that training bust up with Shorey earlier in the week, I doubt Long would have started.
Lita's situation is a complete mystery to me.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 13 Apr 2008 09:29

readingbedding
Schards#2

Cox was sold to Swindon, so he has a long way to go to be Premiership standard also.

I think Long is a decent squad player for us, if Kitson hadn't had that training bust up with Shorey earlier in the week, I doubt Long would have started.
Lita's situation is a complete mystery to me.

Right now, I couldn't give a shit if one player is burning an effergy of another on the training ground, we should be playing the best team team possible .

As for Cox, could he cut it in the prem this season? We'll never know, what we do know is that Doyle and Long haven't, it's been demonstrated week in/week out

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 13 Apr 2008 09:39

You'll have to lump it, the Manager has to instill discipline whether you are 1st, 13th or 20th.
I, with many would agree with that.
I would have done exactly the same thing, and there are loads of examples of Managers doing exactly the same thing.

Using your explanation, not many of our players have 'cut it in the Prem this season' have they?
Dropping Kitson and playing Long and Doyle up front is not the reason why 'we're not cutting it.'

We just didn't play well, it happens, que sera, sera.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 13 Apr 2008 10:30

readingbedding You'll have to lump it, the Manager has to instill discipline whether you are 1st, 13th or 20th.
I would have done exactly the same thing, and there are loads of examples of Managers doing exactly the same thing.

Using your explanation, not many of our players have 'cut it in the Prem this season' have they?
Dropping Kitson and playing Long and Doyle up front is not the reason why 'we're not cutting it.'

If they'd won yesterday, he could have had the next 3 months to instill some discipline having achieved safety. Instead, he chose to play a weakened side and we lost.

Yesterday's was the most important game this season and not a good choice of one to sacrifice to make a point.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Apr 2008 10:46

If I were Sir Steve, I'd play only those players that I expect to have in my team next season and play them for the remaining games. If Shorey is going, drop him. Same goes for any of the others he doesn't want next season - Oster? Long? etc. Whether we stay up or go down, he's got to know what he's got left to work with - he won't know that until he plays the team he's going to be left with. Though, having said that, I think he'll resign at the end of the season - which will give us even more of a problem - as we'll never attract a good manager if JM isn't going to let him spend any money. And a new manager whoever on earth that could be, is going to think twice about joining us if there's a likelihood that someone is going to want to buy this club in the near future. We're in big trouble and anyone who thinks we're not is deluded imho.

I thought sleeping on it would make me feel better this morning. It hasn't. How some of our so-called Premiership players slept last night with a guilt-free conscience I do not know.

Long was a good purchase a couple of season's ago - he's made a couple of impacts on coming on as a sub - and he's done well in the reserves. He is a championship player at best unfortunately - not what we need to compete in this division. And we didn't compete AT ALL yesterday.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 13 Apr 2008 10:53

Royal Lady I think he'll resign at the end of the season

Row Z Royal
LoyalRoyalFan Sack Coppell and get who as manager?

Stuart Pearce.

HTH

You know it makes senseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 13 Apr 2008 10:54

Schards#2
readingbedding You'll have to lump it, the Manager has to instill discipline whether you are 1st, 13th or 20th.

If they'd won yesterday, he could have had the next 3 months to instill some discipline having achieved safety. Instead, he chose to play a weakened side and we lost.

Yesterday's was the most important game this season and not a good choice of one to sacrifice to make a point.

As I said, he as with most managers would have done this whether 1st, 13th or 20th.
The biggest game of the season or a mid-table amble etc, it does not matter.
Coppell is a disciplinarian, all RFC players know this, for Coppell to bend his rules for one game is not the way to do it.
If you were a player who had been disciplined before, what sign does that send out?
One rule for one and one for another, that's no good whatsoever.

Drop the player, therefore making it clear that it's not tolerated, draw a line under it and concentrate on the next game.

Fulham played as though they had an extra player all match, they were more alive, eager and played much better than us.
The result is an upset and it's disappointing, but it happens and from time to time will continue to happen.

In regards to RFC losing because Kitson was dropped is sour grapes. Fulham totally deserved it.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Apr 2008 10:55

Stuart Pearce??? What the hell has he ever done?

There's not one manager, aside from Mourinho and we'd never get him, that I can think of that could do better than Coppell has.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Apr 2008 10:58

If Kitson walked out, that'll be the second time in a week that he's upset the boss. In Coppell's ideal world, he'd drop Kitson completely, but he can't, because we only have 3 strikers and I use the term loosely. :roll: For the sake of this club and its future in the Premier league, he should ball him out in front of the other players if necessary but tell him that he's playing him for the good of Reading Football Club, not for Kitson's own good, and that it is up to Kitson to show the other players and, more importantly, the fans, that his passion for the club is such that despite walking out or having an argument with another player, he wants to help this club maintain its premiership position and he'll show that on Saturday. Or something.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 13 Apr 2008 11:09

He's a 15 minute wonder, definatly not a 90 minute player

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 13 Apr 2008 11:14

Royal Lady Stuart Pearce??? What the hell has he ever done?

There's not one manager, aside from Mourinho and we'd never get him, that I can think of that could do better than Coppell has.

'twas largely ironic in terms of expectation, but his is the sort of "big name" that the masses will clamour for.

Him or Steve McClaren.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 13 Apr 2008 11:25

Royal Lady Stuart Pearce??? What the hell has he ever done?

That's not important really - the question is whether another manager could do better with Reading next season.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Apr 2008 11:26

He's been given his chance and unfortunately he isn't good enough to consistently start in a Premiership team, same as Lita.