Potential buyer - MLSE

Candu

Potential buyer - MLSE

by Candu » 25 Apr 2008 14:53

Maple leaf Sports & Entertainment are apparently keen to bring their formula for business success and sporting failure to England. This article is in today's Toronto Star http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/417801 The MSLE President Richard Peddie has been at the Madejski this week. This organization already owns the ice hockey's Toronto Maple Leafs, basketball's Raptors and Toronto FC. These guys are very business savvy so surely Reading would be the most attractive purchase based on infrastructure, location and profit.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Potential buyer - MLSE

by Coppelled Streets » 25 Apr 2008 14:59

Last edited by Coppelled Streets on 25 Apr 2008 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 25 Apr 2008 15:02

Not according to the article, which says, amongst other things:

“A sports banking executive who specializes in European soccer said three English Premier teams would probably merit interest from the likes of MLSE: Everton, Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur.”

And

“A common recipe for success in the sports industry is buying a franchise that plays in a decrepit arena or stadium, building a new one and realizing newfound revenue from the sale of personal seat licences and increases in prices for season tickets and sponsorships.”

And

“If MLSE decides to move forward with an English soccer investment, it may make more sense for the company to eye a team in The Championship, England's second-tier pro league. The three teams that finish with the worst records in the Premier League are relegated at the end of each season to the Championship. That league's three top clubs are promoted to the Premiership. A team in the Championship would cost less money, with the potential to be worth more.”

We fail all the criteria mentioned.

Edit: I'm regularly surprised by the number of people who think we're an ‘attractive’ purchase. We have no international profile, a small traditional supporter base, and no old town-centre stadium that could be sold to realise increasing land prices. We have one attractive feature – we’re in the Premiership. And that’s the most ephemeral attribute for a club like us.

By selling Elm Park already, Madejski may have assured our independence (or penury if he leaves).

Candu

by Candu » 25 Apr 2008 15:48

This is a hot topic here in Canada. According to other sources close to MLSE and published into todays Hamilton Spectator the three teams are real interest are Reading, Sheffield Wednesday and Southampton. Tottenham and Chelsea were just informational visits. MLSE will want the prestige of a premiership team but at a reasonable price. You do the math.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Apr 2008 15:59

If Southampton stay up they'd be a great buy for an outfit like this.

I guess Wednesday would be too, although for foreign money being so far from London would probably go against it.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 25 Apr 2008 16:10

Edit: I'm regularly surprised by the number of people who think we're an ‘attractive’ purchase. We have no international profile, a small traditional supporter base, and no old town-centre stadium that could be sold to realise increasing land prices. We have one attractive feature – we’re in the Premiership. And that’s the most ephemeral attribute for a club like us.

I always wonder what sort of club someone would be looking for.

I'd imagine a team run poorly with definite assets - so a stadium, a name and a good location. Then improve the efficiency of the business (so ... Lerner at Villa would be an example).

The only other way is to buy a club, make as much money out of assets (selling training ground, selling stadium) and then selling the club on having realised the profit through the loss of those assets.

What have we got? Potential.

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 25 Apr 2008 16:15

True.

My worry is that, rather than an asset stripper or an investor we’d get the other (and worst) kind of billionaire: an egomaniac. Fayed, Abramovich, Romanov etc.

How many successful clubs are actually owned by rich local individuals who love the club? After Reading, maybe only Newcastle.

We really don’t know how lucky we are.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Apr 2008 16:23

ElmParker True.

My worry is that, rather than an asset stripper or an investor we’d get the other (and worst) kind of billionaire: an egomaniac. Fayed, Abramovich, Romanov etc.

How many successful clubs are actually owned by rich local individuals who love the club? After Reading, maybe only Newcastle.

We really don’t know how lucky we are.

We're very lucky to have Madjeski, but I think Fayed has been pretty good for Fulham too. He's had his moments along the way, but he's taken them on a very similar journey to the one Mr M has provided for us.

My ideal solution would see a big group come in and pump in a load of money but at the same time keep Madjeski on as Chairman and he can keep safeguard the future of the club on our behalf (will never happen of course!).

Candu

by Candu » 25 Apr 2008 16:27

This story is all over the Toronto media; speculation is going wild. MLSE will not be interested in selling off the infrastructure. Why build a brand new stadium when you can buy one that can be readily expanded? With some investment in the club, new players and a loosening of the club's tight wage structure surely Reading can start to play in European.

Here's the problem; MLSE has bags of money and all their clubs are financially very successful. The Maple Leafs are the best supported and richest club in hockey but haven't won the Stanley cup in over 40 years. Toronto FC finished last in the MLS in 2007 and have yet to invest in a designated player. The Raptors routinely miss the playoffs.

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 25 Apr 2008 16:41

I'm not an economist, but I'm sceptical about the ability of Reading to either:
1. Attract 15,000 new paying STHs without massive investment in playing staff.
2. Continue to earn a tidy profit by reliably finishing 15th without spending money on players and without risking relegation, and associated loss of income and investment value.

I just can’t see Reading being a safe, profitable investment for a business.

OzBiscuit2004
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by OzBiscuit2004 » 27 Apr 2008 11:38

Tottenham are the target of a £250m takeover by Richard Peddie, the man behind Canadian ice hockey team Toronto Maple Leafs (News of the World)

I know I know it is the NOTW :x

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 May 2008 10:26

ElmParker I'm not an economist, but I'm sceptical about the ability of Reading to either:
1. Attract 15,000 new paying STHs without massive investment in playing staff.
2. Continue to earn a tidy profit by reliably finishing 15th without spending money on players and without risking relegation, and associated loss of income and investment value.

I just can’t see Reading being a safe, profitable investment for a business.

but we wouldnt need 15k more STH.
wed just need to be able to provide seats to the people who want to come now but cant , and the extra floating types who may just turn up on the day like in the old days

games against the top4 would sell out , plus spurs, everton, newcastle, villa, man city etc would also go some way to filling up

readings support have always had a big proportion of fans who pick and choose their games, so of these, those who didnt get STs will now be able to attend again

strap
Hob Nob Regular

Canadian conglomerate eyeing Reading, Sheffield Wednesday an

by strap » 01 May 2008 23:58

I've got to stop surfing late at night ....

Is this another wind-up or is it of some substance? If these guys were sniffing around Spurs some time ago, I would have thought RFC would be a more attractive proposition that Sheff W or Soton.

Depends if they want a Championship club or one in Divsion 1!?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=563392&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

(I suppose The Mail is marginally better than The Sun. :oops: )

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Canadian conglomerate eyeing Reading, Sheffield Wednesday an

by Platypuss » 02 May 2008 00:02

Sorry Strap, been here for a week already:

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=74946

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 02 May 2008 00:20

Thanks mate. Feel free to lock, delete etc!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 May 2008 19:43

strap I've got to stop surfing late at night ....

Is this another wind-up or is it of some substance? If these guys were sniffing around Spurs some time ago, I would have thought RFC would be a more attractive proposition that Sheff W or Soton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=563392&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

That is assuming that the Mail hasn't just copied the story from the Sun or NOTW in the first place. The trouble with so many of these stories is that they loop and become self professing.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 04 May 2008 08:07

Is it just me who links our dire performance on the pitch to the fact that these guys are looking for a Championship team to take over?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 May 2008 08:12

West Stand Man

That is assuming that the Mail hasn't just copied the story from the Sun or NOTW in the first place. The trouble with so many of these stories is that they loop and become self professing.

Self perpetuating?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 May 2008 18:32

Royal Rother
West Stand Man

Self perpetuating?

Self-fulfilling?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 May 2008 19:09

All of the above - HTH!