New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New manager [Merged]

by Southbank Old Boy » 05 May 2008 10:57

Huntley & Palmer I'm not going to get involved in all the petty 'this manager is better than another' debate, I think the end of this season will see a new manager involved simply because SC will want a break away from the stress of management. I expect to see him step down as our single greatest manager in our history and allow a young up and coming manager to get a chance in the Championship. I think this is the way forward and it will be something that Coppell would consider doing

Totally agree.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 05 May 2008 11:06

Coppell shouldn't be sacked but I'm convinced he'll step down after all the talk about having a break earlier in the season. If that happens we should try and make Gary Johnson the man. Promoted from conference to League 2, followed by League 2 to League 1 with Yeovil. Then League 1 to Championship with Bristol City, who are now in the Championship play-offs. I think that's a pretty awesome record, and he deserves a chance at the top where he would flourish.

sucatraps

by sucatraps » 05 May 2008 11:10

Haven't read everyword of this thread so accept a murking if it's due, but just to comment about the merits or otherwise of 'Big Sam' it should be remembered that he did well with a mixture of youth, experience and ugly football. At best it is a shit or bust, holding pattern and not a dynasty! surely we want more for the club? SSC deserves to be part of our future, in a capacity that best serves him and the club, let him choose, he earned the right!!!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 May 2008 11:17

rhroyal Coppell shouldn't be sacked but I'm convinced he'll step down after all the talk about having a break earlier in the season. If that happens we should try and make Gary Johnson the man. Promoted from conference to League 2, followed by League 2 to League 1 with Yeovil. Then League 1 to Championship with Bristol City, who are now in the Championship play-offs. I think that's a pretty awesome record, and he deserves a chance at the top where he would flourish.

If City win the play offs, I'd expect him to want to stay with them.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 05 May 2008 11:38

Alan Pardew with Mark McGhee as assistant

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: New manager

by RoyalBlue » 05 May 2008 11:43

Only one Trevor Morley Dear oh dear - I never thought I would see the day when HNA called for Big Sam instead of Coppell...

If Coppell did go then surely Martin Jol would be a better choice. Or someone who is moulding an attractive side in the lower leagues - Robert Martinez for example.

Why the hell would Martinez want to come to us?!!

Huntley & Palmer I'm not going to get involved in all the petty 'this manager is better than another' debate, I think the end of this season will see a new manager involved simply because SC will want a break away from the stress of management. I expect to see him step down as our single greatest manager in our history and allow a young up and coming manager to get a chance in the Championship. I think this is the way forward and it will be something that Coppell would consider doing

I think you will probably be proved right about Coppell. What a shame that he didn't quit whilst he/we were still winning.

The tremendous disappointment over this season and the manner in which we are going down will almost inevitably slightly tarnish his reputation.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 05 May 2008 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 05 May 2008 11:45

Hahahaha, I hadn't seen that post - Martin Jol?? It's amazing how Spurs suddenly picked up the minute he left and finally won something. He must be a great manager though cos he's a nice guy like Coppell.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 05 May 2008 11:57

Royal Lady
rhroyal Coppell shouldn't be sacked but I'm convinced he'll step down after all the talk about having a break earlier in the season. If that happens we should try and make Gary Johnson the man. Promoted from conference to League 2, followed by League 2 to League 1 with Yeovil. Then League 1 to Championship with Bristol City, who are now in the Championship play-offs. I think that's a pretty awesome record, and he deserves a chance at the top where he would flourish.

Now THAT is a good call. However, City won;t win the play-offs, and why would Johnson leave a sussessful Champ club for one on the downward spiral?

Eamon Dolan is the next RFC manager, whenever Sir Steve leaves. 2 reasons, he knows how Mr Ego works, and more importantly he is cheap - a prerequisite for any dealing Mr Ego does in football.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 05 May 2008 12:01

You heard it here first, Glenn Hoddle.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 05 May 2008 12:06

Bring back Tommy Burns

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 05 May 2008 12:14

Id happily have Pardew back. love the man!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 May 2008 12:20

Coppell upstairs with Parkinson as manager.

It's a sure fire thing.

If it's not Iain Dowie that is.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 05 May 2008 12:41

Royal Rother Coppell upstairs with Parkinson as manager.

It's a sure fire thing.

I have to admit that sounds a reasonable option.

I think JM would love to have Parky back. Only problem would be if too many cooks spoil the broth.

sucatraps

by sucatraps » 05 May 2008 12:43

[quote="Royal Rother"]Coppell upstairs with Parkinson as manager.

A wonderful "Boys Own, Roy of the Rovers" scenario, but could it really, really happen?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 May 2008 12:44

My impression of both Coppell and Parkinson is that they are intelligent, ego-free men who would be able to make it work.

Assuming both Dillon and Downes depart (I think that's likely if we are relegated) who would be the assistant coaches?
Last edited by Royal Rother on 05 May 2008 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 May 2008 12:46

Parkinson would be nice for all the sentimentalists out there.
If Coppell went, I would prefer a Manager managing a decent Championship side, not a number 2 who was a Reading legend when playing.

You never know how good they'll be until they actually manage your side.

Hull couldn't wait to get shot of him and they've improved no end since he was booted out.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 05 May 2008 13:09

strap
Royal Lady

Now THAT is a good call. However, City won;t win the play-offs, and why would Johnson leave a sussessful Champ club for one on the downward spiral?

Eamon Dolan is the next RFC manager, whenever Sir Steve leaves. 2 reasons, he knows how Mr Ego works, and more importantly he is cheap - a prerequisite for any dealing Mr Ego does in football.

Spot on. Eamon is highly thought of having done an excellent job with the academies at Reading and Exeter and also his short but successful spell in charge of Exeter first team. He was a decent player at West Ham and as a manager is a great motivator. Given the fact that JM will not splash the cash I think Eamon will be an excellent choice.

Im Spartacus

by Im Spartacus » 05 May 2008 13:30

RG30 You heard it here first, Glenn Hoddle.

I hope SC stays but suspect he'll go, Hoddle would be my choice if he does.

Cookie

by Cookie » 05 May 2008 13:35

Royal Rother Coppell upstairs with Parkinson as manager.

It's a sure fire thing.

You can see the Coppell-Parkinson combination having some appeal to the chairman.

Royal Family

by Royal Family » 05 May 2008 13:46

The whole year inn What's wrong with Sean Davis? I would kill to have him here

So would I .... but not Stephen Davis - the little ginger bloke who used to play for Villa.

1747 posts