Bit Bloody Late Now ! / Cutbacks

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

Bit Bloody Late Now ! / Cutbacks

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 05 May 2008 12:31

Reading chairman John Madejski says 'significant' investment will be made in the squad this summer, but only if they stay up.

The Royals are currently third from bottom in the Premier League and need help on the final day of the season in order to retain their top-flight status.

However, should Reading stay up then Madejski has confirmed the club will splash the cash in the off-season in order to avoid another disappointing campaign.

The club made a blistering start to life in England's top flight by finishing eighth in their debut campaign, but have struggled this time around after manager Steve Coppell kept faith with his squad.

"We've already developed a plan to make significant investment in the playing squad during the summer," confirmed Madejski.

"But the short-term imperative of retaining our position in the top flight is our only focus."

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Bit Bloody Late Now !

by Royal Lady » 05 May 2008 12:34

LOL. Pure rhetoric. What about if we go down. He's happy with the squad as it is, is he? :roll:

Edit - PLUS if he's saying this now, what incentive is there for the players who know they'll be on their way out and replaced if we stay up, to give their all and keep us up next week. :roll:

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 05 May 2008 13:08

what an empty gesture, in his eyes we will go down so that statement will never come to fruition, so come on reading fight to stay here and see if Mr.Mad really a man of his word, i suspect he is not!!!

joe999

by joe999 » 05 May 2008 14:04

"bit bloody late" is an understatement
oxf*rd makes me so angry. Understandable not spending in the summer but not spending in January whenthe team is 16th/17th and in poor form is an unforgiveable crime.

And we all know whats gonna happen... Mr. Mad said that we'd be spending a fair bit in January, and we buy Matejovsky (arguably our best player in the past 3 months) and ... Jimmy kebe. Thats one player IMO.

If we stay up (which I highly doubt after these shite decisions being made by the powers that be) then its only gonna be the same again.

theyve gotta shape up, or sh*t off.

Rant over.

Shevchenko

by Shevchenko » 05 May 2008 14:26

Before everyone has a rant at him, do remember that it is HIS money, not the club's that he'd be spending. Perhaps we did need to spend a bit more than we did during the off season, but the point remains: Madejski sees a problem with the current set up regarding funding for purchases and has a plan to correct it. I think its admirable, to donate his own money to the cause. If we do stay up, we'll have achieved something pretty remarkable, finance wise.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 05 May 2008 14:35

RFC approaching transfer window 'plan to make significant investment' shocker.

I'll believe it if I see it.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 05 May 2008 14:37

This would be the same 'significant investment' that was planned in january then?

Thats the bloody problem with this club, all talk, but no action

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 May 2008 14:38

Shevchenko Before everyone has a rant at him, do remember that it is HIS money, not the club's that he'd be spending. Perhaps we did need to spend a bit more than we did during the off season, but the point remains: Madejski sees a problem with the current set up regarding funding for purchases and has a plan to correct it. I think its admirable, to donate his own money to the cause. If we do stay up, we'll have achieved something pretty remarkable, finance wise.

It's not his money.

The club has had £70 million odd in TV revenue alone in the past two years before you even think of the gate/merchandise revenue. This money is the clubs.

working class hero

by working class hero » 05 May 2008 14:42

Before everyone has a rant at him, do remember that it is HIS money, not the club's that he'd be spending.

So.... 40 million of Sky cash, cash from catering, programmes, shop, hospitality, something like 15 million from ticket sales - and you really think Mr M is bankrolling the club? I reckon he is more likely to be skimming profits.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 05 May 2008 14:48

the trouble is when you are a footy club chairman its like having an expensive toy, your expected to turn up give all your money for the privelege of owning the club and thats how it should be. madjeski is insistent on running it like a business, for god sake man utd arguably the biggest club in the world run with a debt!!!!yes in the long run it is probably beneficial for us to be like this but if we go down????

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 05 May 2008 15:35

I suppose that loosley means season tickets are going up .

The Chairman saved us blah blah blah .... he makes me sick , sits there counting the ££££ as they flood into his coffers and does nothing for the team. Then just as we are about to dive head first into the CCC he comes out with this bullshit.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 05 May 2008 16:02

LOLZ It really is getting tiresome this empty vessel malarkey. I had enjoyed riding the crest of the previous few years (although Im never what you call a hardened fan being a student residing elsewhere in the country) especially after pretty much being confined to the lower leagues and mediocre football. I also admit that I, unlike a whole class of Reading supporters, have been around for decades but nonetheless when it comes down to it I always profess to my allegiences with the club. I do not spend much if any money in the club (aside from buying the odd shirt i like and traveling to games i do go to). But echoing many statements already said; it seems all too little to late compared to the relative efforts made by the fans. Why bother Mr Mad? Just 'keep it real' and dont pull the wool over our eyes....otherwise you start to lose the last residual heart and soul of the club that carries on in the older supporters and what the pass onto their offspring....

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 05 May 2008 16:14

This is just a load of toss as we all know that if we stay up the club will say

"The players that kept us in the premiership, under all sorts of internal and external pressures last season surly have earnt the chance to prove that they are capable of propelling us further up the table this coming season, so if we need to strengthen we will look at it in the January transfer window"

or something very similar !!

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 05 May 2008 16:37

Royal Lady
Shevchenko Before everyone has a rant at him, do remember that it is HIS money, not the club's that he'd be spending. Perhaps we did need to spend a bit more than we did during the off season, but the point remains: Madejski sees a problem with the current set up regarding funding for purchases and has a plan to correct it. I think its admirable, to donate his own money to the cause. If we do stay up, we'll have achieved something pretty remarkable, finance wise.

It's not his money.

The club has had £70 million odd in TV revenue alone in the past two years before you even think of the gate/merchandise revenue. This money is the clubs.

He owns the club , of course it's his money , with no share holders to speak off it's all his , every penny , so basically we're fcuked . It's a scandal when you think how much money has come into the club and how with a sensible bit of investement we'd not be in the deep shite we're in now .

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 May 2008 16:40

:roll: So if he got fed up in the next couple of weeks could he just "pick up his ball" so to speak and say he's not playing anymore??

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 05 May 2008 16:49

Royal Lady :roll: So if he got fed up in the next couple of weeks could he just "pick up his ball" so to speak and say he's not playing anymore??

Not too sure not being an accountant , but with the club not being a plc , in theory he could bugger off and leave us in administration .As the club has no shareholders to report to he can do what he likes , just like a big toy as has been said before . Although it's desperately frustrating at the end of the day we'd still be somewhere like Elm Park and playing in Div 1 or 2 if it were not for him . I'd just say , every dog has its day .

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 05 May 2008 17:01

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yet another stupid innocent who has fallen for Mr Ego's line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE HAS NOT SPENT ONE PENNY OF HIS OWN MONEY ON THIS CLUB YET!!!!! Read the oxf*rd annual accounts!!!!!!!!!!

He has LOANED the club £40M, with interest accruing, admittedly at base rate and below, and in the case of the hotel, (I think) at 0 interest. HOWEVER, he is expecting to get all this back and then some, when he sells to his Billionaire!!!!!!

Should he ever sell the club for less than £40M then I will be the first to accept he has ploughed his own money into the Club. However, as the various press figures of sale prices seem to be anywhere from £100M to £300M (in his oxf*rd dreams!!!!!), he is clearly looking for a substantial return on his investment!!!!

Some people make me seeth!!!!! oxf*rd me, you'lll be telling me next Gordon Brown is a great politician and wonderful prime minister!!!

Oh bollucks, why the oxf*rd to I bother?!?! WHy do I get so wound up by the pathetic empty rhetoric that comes out of RFC with such monotonous regularity .....

Aaaarrrrrgghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

allwite123

by allwite123 » 05 May 2008 17:06

working class hero
Before everyone has a rant at him, do remember that it is HIS money, not the club's that he'd be spending.

So.... 40 million of Sky cash, cash from catering, programmes, shop, hospitality, something like 15 million from ticket sales - and you really think Mr M is bankrolling the club? I reckon he is more likely to be skimming profits.

Wait a minuite. Hunty is on 25K a week and i believe shorey signed for 28K a week when he signed a new conract in the summer. Now lets do some maths. This means he is paying hunty and shorey £2,760,000 a year alone. Now when added with the other 35 players yearly salarys, stuwards, security, police costs, hospitality staff, over heads for the stadium and training faciltiys, grounds men etc etc. Wouldnt say your getting much change off £60,000,000. No way is he skimming!!!!

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 05 May 2008 17:28

strap

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yet another stupid innocent who has fallen for Mr Ego's line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE HAS NOT SPENT ONE PENNY OF HIS OWN MONEY ON THIS CLUB YET!!!!! Read the oxf*rd annual accounts!!!!!!!!!!

He has LOANED the club £40M, with interest accruing, admittedly at base rate and below, and in the case of the hotel, (I think) at 0 interest. HOWEVER, he is expecting to get all this back and then some, when he sells to his Billionaire!!!!!!

Should he ever sell the club for less than £40M then I will be the first to accept he has ploughed his own money into the Club. However, as the various press figures of sale prices seem to be anywhere from £100M to £300M (in his oxf*rd dreams!!!!!), he is clearly looking for a substantial return on his investment!!!!

Some people make me seeth!!!!! oxf*rd me, you'lll be telling me next Gordon Brown is a great politician and wonderful prime minister!!!

Oh bollucks, why the oxf*rd to I bother?!?! WHy do I get so wound up by the pathetic empty rhetoric that comes out of RFC with such monotonous regularity .....

Aaaarrrrrgghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Were you around in 1990 when he took over the club? If you were you will remember we were a struggling third tier team. Gates of 3,000 in a rotting decrepid stadium, the club losing £5,000 a week the whole sqaud up for sale heading towards administration. You are right he has done nothing for this club.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 05 May 2008 17:44

We were happy to have a clear out and make large scale changes in 2005 when we knew something was wrong, spending £1mill on Lita which was a lot at the time in the Championship. I'm confident that Coppell and JM have learnt from their mistakes and this will happen. Unfortunately, too late. I don't see us being a Premiership club in 7 days time.