New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New manager [Merged]

by Whore Jackie » 07 May 2008 13:42

Joe I don't know if nyone has mentioned him yet, I can't be bothered to read all 11 pages but what about Jimmy Quinn? Seems to be doing well at cambridge (well they are in the playy off final) and more importantly its jimmy quinn.

That said anyone wnating to get rid of Coppell is stupid, if he managed to get us promoted before in such a way chances are he is probably best able to do it again! If he has made mistakes then he at least is one of the few managers around who will actively look to learn from them.

This loyalty to ex-players (and indeed managers) is laudable, but it's not necessarily the best way forward for the club. Loved Jimmy Quinn the player, less keen on him when he was our manager. He's doing a decent job at Cambridge, after a few ropey times elsewhere, let's leave it that way. Can't understand the clamour for Sanchez, he's had some successes along the way, but the manner he went about rebuilding Fulham scares the hell out of me. Despite our problems this season, I think the way forward is a case of evolution not revolution. It's a moot point anyway, as long as Madejski's in charge, there's not a chance he'll employ Laurie.

Assuming Coppell walks :cry:, I'd wager money that JM will plump for Hoddle. He lives locally, there's no compensation issues and his record is nowhere near as bad as often portrayed. He's shown glimpses of being a really decent manager, for all of his mistakes. Perhaps we could be the perfect marriage.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 07 May 2008 13:53

rhroyal With Sanchez, I know that managers need time. My Fulham fan mate admitted it, but he also said that giving them a chance looks a bit stupid if they take you down, if you catch my drift. I'm not convinced. He's a solid manager, but compare his track record to what Coppell has achieved at Palace, Brentord, Brighton and Reading and he's not in the same league. I think Hoddle wouldn't be so bad, but whoever earlier said Paul Ince has my vote. A young hungry manager who has shown what he can do to an extent, but will want to the chance to show everyone his ability on a bigger stage. This is all if my hunches are right and Coppell takes a break from football at the end of the season, he should under no circumstances be sacked, and indeed JM has promised he won't be.

There is no doubt that Coppell's successes at Reading and Palace are pretty special and he's shown he can build a competitive team with great results. I wouldn't say his record at Brighton was that great though, decent yes, but no great shakes.

Sanchez's record with Northen Ireland shouldn't be sniffed at either. That was a tremendous turn around by anyones standards, and he kept Wycombe in the right half of the table in every season he was there (from what I can remember) as well as having a couple of cup runs. The thing is there are so many things that affect a managers success at a club it's difficult to judge from the outside if they're better than their record or even if they're as good as it!

Hoddle is a very good tactician and his successful spells have shown he can produce good footballing sides capable of winning. His detractors will rightly point to him losing the dressing room at times, but I think he's probably learnt from his mistakes a bit, and now he's a bit older and wiser I think he'll be a success at his next club, if conditions are right. I wouldn't mind if that next club was Reading to be fair.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 May 2008 14:00

My vote, when Coppell walks of his own accord, would be for Peter Taylor.

A good manager IMO whose teams play good football and one who I believe would be prepared to give our young up and coming young stars a chance to show what they can do.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 07 May 2008 14:01

Interesting that people say Coppell's record is great, but there are a few relegations on it! This could be his 3rd different club that he has been relegated with...which suggests to me that when the ship is sinking he isn't the best person to trun it around...he hasn't got out of the dogfight on many occasions.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 07 May 2008 14:02

RoyalBlue My vote, when Coppell walks of his own accord, would be for Peter Taylor.

A good manager IMO whose teams play good football and one who I believe would be prepared to give our young up and coming young stars a chance to show what they can do.

NO FANKS, Sacked after doing an awful job at Stevenage!! no wayyyy

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 07 May 2008 14:06

RoyalBlue My vote, when Coppell walks of his own accord, would be for Peter Taylor.

I'd rather have Tommy Burns back. Ok maybe that is going a bit far but that is how low I rate Peter Taylor.

I would have Bryan Robson and Peter Reid ahead of Peter Taylor and given the choice I don't want either of them in charge either.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 May 2008 20:15

Wycombe Royal

I'd rather have Tommy Burns back. Ok maybe that is going a bit far but that is how low I rate Peter Taylor.

I would have Bryan Robson and Peter Reid ahead of Peter Taylor and given the choice I don't want either of them in charge either.

Totally agree Wycombe.
Taylor developed a reputation with the successful u21s but that is a far cry from club management.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 May 2008 20:29

Fickle fans. :roll:

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 08 May 2008 09:13

Alan Partridge

NO FANKS, Sacked after doing an awful job at Stevenage!! no wayyyy

'greed, but was top of the Championship Chairman's list last time around.

There lies the thin line of success and failure.

The best thing for Reading Football Club will be Coppell staying for one final season.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 May 2008 14:03

Wycombe Royal

Did a damn fine job working with the England U21s though. That's why I think he might do well working with our younger prospects (assuming the Academy isn't one of JM's promised cutbacks!).

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 May 2008 14:24

RoyalBlue
Wycombe Royal

Did a damn fine job working with the England U21s though. That's why I think he might do well working with our younger prospects (assuming the Academy isn't one of JM's promised cutbacks!).

Stick him in charge of the academy then, not the first team. He has pretty much failed wherever he has gone since.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 08 May 2008 15:11

Wycombe Royal He has pretty much failed wherever he has gone since.

And before really.

Has made a habit of taking over half decent sides on the up, doing ok with them for a while before screwing things up when he makes his own mark on things.

nicky's left foot

by nicky's left foot » 08 May 2008 15:18

Losing coppell would be a big blow! i really hope he stays or we will end up with someone like w***er Wornock!

Fezza

by Fezza » 08 May 2008 15:20

Any one of;

Stuart Pearce, A Boothroyd, Parky, Big Sam.

So long as we don't get any of the former Sunderland or Boro managers I will be happy!

allwite123

by allwite123 » 08 May 2008 15:42

dare i mention the possibility of alan pardew should sc walk!

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 08 May 2008 15:42

If Bryan Robson or Glenn Hoddle come anywhere near Reading I really am going to start supporting Stoke..

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 May 2008 15:42

nicky's left foot Losing coppell would be a big blow! i really hope he stays or we will end up with someone like w***er Wornock!

On some levels I would be delighted with Warnock as our manager. Not all though.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 08 May 2008 15:51

A change of managers between divisions would be a disaster IMO. If it happens, I predict a bottom third finish in the Championship next season. I strongly hope that people with influence are working at persuading Coppell to stay, regardless of whether we stay up or not.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 08 May 2008 16:21

allwite123 dare i mention the possibility of alan pardew should sc walk!

why not? His sucess at West Ham and Charlton have made him an ideal candidate.

emmer green dave

by emmer green dave » 08 May 2008 19:50

Tuesday next week is board meeting will we be told what's happening.Why not if SC want's to go let him take Hammond's job at least he would contribute something to the team.Read tonight's Post Hammond away looking at possible signings!!.After Fae's comments last week perhaps SC never saw any of the signings before they arrived.

1747 posts