Mr Angry's thread revisited... I love Coppell

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Mr Angry's thread revisited... I love Coppell

by Millsy » 09 May 2008 00:35

There used to be a Mr Angry here who has possibly changed name.

This is to pay homage to his thread, and to the sentiment therein.

I think it was when we joined the Prem, or were close to it.

He basically said something along the lines of "we the undersigned will back Coppell through thick and thin for what he's done, and even if we come down we'll accept that the whole trip was thanks to him" etc....

It was signed by many people here including of course myself, as I was about to start a similar thread.

I just want to draw attention to this, as many of us seem to be getting caught up in relegation hysteria and are losing the plot.

The fact - whether you are happy about the fact that we may come down after our second season in the Prem, having spent peanuts - the fact is this whole dream came true thanks to the best manager in our history and I for one never want to see him leave. The day he leaves will be a darker day than all our playoff final defeats and our relegations put together for me.

He has taken us on an amazing trip and I hope to God he is begged to stay whether we go down or not and I hope those who signed the original Mr Angry thread stick to their word and are able to step back from the emotional fog of (possible) relegation.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

Re: Mr Angry's thread revisited... I love Coppell

by seahawk10 » 09 May 2008 01:37

Wholeheartedly agree. I started a Coppell is our Sherpa thread a few months back that stated something similar. All the criticisms of Coppell may be valid, but we would not have gotten to where we are without him. The same squad loyalty and substitution patterns that have us in trouble this year were in play during his entire tenure. You take the good with the bad.

I am not stating that people don't have a right to criticise. Fair play, most everyone on here has supported Reading longer than me. But I love Coppell and I hope he stays.

Chillitsphil

by Chillitsphil » 09 May 2008 04:40

I hope I will not be the only one at Derby who will proudly sing 'For Steve Coppell Stand Up'. All those in support of the man who has led us to our three best ever finishes, vocalise it, because if you do those who think he should be sacked will be shown up as merely a reactionary minority. Steve Coppell you are an absolute Reading Football Club Legend.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 09 May 2008 06:33

Perspective at last.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 09 May 2008 07:08

Cant find that thread anywhere, went right back to 2005 as well. Very odd.

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 09 May 2008 07:39

Sign me up.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 May 2008 09:51

i concur in the most concurring way possible

Kingsley

by Kingsley » 09 May 2008 09:53

Best. Manager. Ever

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 May 2008 10:54

Having not agreed with everything that's gone on this season, I needed to go to the forum last night and hear him speak and say hello to him, he spoke very well, made a hell of a lot of sense and whatever the future holds we won't have many better than him ever again.

I would love to see us stay up on sunday and see Steve throw his coat away again. 8)

Hflippers

by Hflippers » 09 May 2008 10:56

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 May 2008 11:13

Alan Partridge Having not agreed with everything that's gone on this season, I needed to go to the forum last night and hear him speak and say hello to him, he spoke very well, made a hell of a lot of sense and whatever the future holds we won't have many better than him ever again.

I would love to see us stay up on sunday and see Steve throw his coat away again. 8)

how was the forum?
anythingh interesting?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 09 May 2008 11:18

brendywendy
Alan Partridge Having not agreed with everything that's gone on this season, I needed to go to the forum last night and hear him speak and say hello to him, he spoke very well, made a hell of a lot of sense and whatever the future holds we won't have many better than him ever again.

how was the forum?
anythingh interesting?

It was very good, very honest and revealing. All will be posted probably next week from those that were there.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 09 May 2008 11:37

Is honest and revealing much use with one game to go?

Reading are a decent striker and a midfielder away from comfortably staying up this season.

Coppell (despite his supposed brains) chose not to do this. Or in the summer. Or in the summer previously.

He has led the club back to the Championship where it will cost more to get back up again than it would have to stay here.

Still, at least the Championship has a better atmosphere. :|

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 09 May 2008 11:48

The whole year inn Is honest and revealing much use with one game to go?
Reading are a decent striker and a midfielder away from comfortably staying up this season.

Coppell (despite his supposed brains) chose not to do this. Or in the summer. Or in the summer previously.

He has led the club back to the Championship where it will cost more to get back up again than it would have to stay here.

Still, at least the Championship has a better atmosphere. :|

Of course, I wanted to hear the truth about certain things and I did. It gives more insight into situations like contracts, budgets, transfers, selections etc and I'm glad that I heard his thinking behind it instead of trying to second guess it. Also I'm glad he owned up to certain mistakes or things he would have done differently if given the choice. He's a very difficult bloke to not like!! :lol:

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 09 May 2008 11:53

Spill the beans then? It seems to me like he is a bottle job who refused to strengthen in January despite signing clowns he had never met in the previous summer?

I am guessing signing Fae on a 76 year contract is to blame? Did you ask him why he would sign players without ever meeting them?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 May 2008 11:54

The whole year inn Spill the beans then? It seems to me like he is a bottle job who refused to strengthen in January despite signing clowns he had never met in the previous summer?

I am guessing signing Fae on a 76 year contract is to blame? Did you ask him why he would sign players without ever meeting them?

:roll:

i think not signing, shows more balls than panic buying

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 09 May 2008 11:57

brendywendy
The whole year inn Spill the beans then? It seems to me like he is a bottle job who refused to strengthen in January despite signing clowns he had never met in the previous summer?

Fae is on a three year contract. With the option of a 4th.

Coppell never met him before he signed.

He blew our transfer budget when we could have signed Davis on a two year contract for the same amount,

Sidwell left.

Coppell spent our transfer budget on someone who didn't speak English, didn't know the game and someone he never met.

Meanwhile Davis was available and he has played a superb part in getting Rangers to the UEFA cup final
Last edited by The whole year inn on 09 May 2008 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 09 May 2008 11:58

TWYI, what the f*** is the matter with you?!?

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 09 May 2008 12:04

SpaceCruiser TWYI, what the f*** is the matter with you?!?

Why waste your transfer budget on an French-African unknown when numerous midfielders with Premiership experience are available for a similar price?

It wasnt so long ago everyone on here was laughing at Fulham.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 May 2008 12:11

The whole year inn
brendywendy

Fae is on a three year contract. With the option of a 4th.

Coppell never met him before he signed.

He blew our transfer budget when we could have signed Davis on a two year contract for the same amount,

Sidwell left.

Coppell spent our transfer budget on someone who didn't speak English, didn't know the game and someone he never met.

Meanwhile Davis was available and he has played a superb part in getting Rangers to the UEFA cup final

yes yes, very good

none of which addresses the quote youve given though

which was in reply to coppell "bottling it"-to which i said i think it took more balls to not spend than panic buy

as to your other randomly made points-fae was a good prospect, looked at and wanted by other clubs
we payed too much, he was rubbish, and his attitude sucks-that has nowt to do with the length of his contract, or his ability to speak english

we dont have transfer budgets

i would hazard a guess that most managers in the prem have signed a player they havent seen play live

and there was absolutely nothing we could have offered that would have made sidwell stay

we bought a highly rated INTL midfielder and a good prospect as repleacements-after our well publicised 1st choice fell through