New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New manager [Merged]

by loyalroyal4life » 08 May 2008 19:59

Royal With Cheese
allwite123 dare i mention the possibility of alan pardew should sc walk!

why not? His sucess at West Ham and Charlton have made him an ideal candidate.

:lol:

philM

Coppell's last game?

by philM » 09 May 2008 14:27

If we get relegated then I think SC will go. He has already hinted this season that he wants a break, and if we go down I can't see him wanting to do what he's done for us all over again. That 106 points was something so special - he got the squad so positive and hungry for promotion that we finally did it. He knows the chances of doing it again are slim and I just don't think he'll relish the challenge anymore. Not here anyway. A bit too Groundhog Day.

If we stay up then we all know the squad will need serious re-building in terms of players and morale/team spirit. Do you think SC will be up for it or do you think he'll see this as an ideal time to take his "break" what with Sonko, Fae Lita etc to sort out. And if he goes now he'll be remembered as the guy who got us to 8th in the Prem, rather than the guy who may well screw up next year and get us relegated.

I think he's possibly about to go.

Whatever - I'll be standing up for him at the end of the Derby game.

rotherwick_royal

Re: Coppell's last game?

by rotherwick_royal » 09 May 2008 14:29

Stay up or go down, I think you could well be right.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 09 May 2008 14:32

Agree.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 09 May 2008 14:35

I feel a merged post coming on......

btw I agree..he is,and has been since last season's unbelievable achievement, on a hiding to nothing.

Thanks for the ride Steve, you are without a shadow of a doubt the best Reading FC manager ever.

Kes

by Kes » 09 May 2008 14:41

He's off after this season. I told you that about a month ago. :roll:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 May 2008 14:42

Kes He's off after this season. I told you that about a month ago. :roll:

unreLOLiabLOLe m8

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 09 May 2008 14:46

I don't think the result matters in the sense that Steve Coppell will leave his post as Reading manager shortly.

He is by far the best manager we have ever had and it will be a heart wrenching day when he does leave, but he's made it clear he needs and wants a rest.

He is a legend both here and at Crystal Palace and I just hope we're fortunate enough to find many more managers of his quality in the future.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 09 May 2008 14:51

Bloody hell, I find myself welling up just thinking of him leaving. I think I'd rather we go down and he stay :!:

That last answer in the press conference will start some rumours. "It'll all come to a whole conclusion on Monday." He's probably referring to the season but it certainly could be interpreted another way.

sam1
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by sam1 » 09 May 2008 14:52

I've got nothing bad to say about him, will be very sad to see him go assuming he does.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 09 May 2008 14:54

My least favourite part of supporting Reading is the announcement of a new manager. Almost immediately you know if you are in for a good time or a bad time. If mid-June it ends up being Ian Dowie; it'll be loads of groans and Dowie out chants by December (if we have a bad start to the season).

Thing is there are not that many good managers available. I imagine there will be a collective groan whatever the appointment. How do you fill Coppell's shoes ?

nb: Dowie was used as an example.

Magicman

by Magicman » 09 May 2008 14:55

Sadly it seems the writing is on the wall and he will go, it will be a great shame if he does but you have to do what you think is right.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 May 2008 15:01

Zammo My least favourite part of supporting Reading is the announcement of a new manager. Almost immediately you know if you are in for a good time or a bad time. If mid-June it ends up being Ian Dowie; it'll be loads of groans and Dowie out chants by December (if we have a bad start to the season).

Thing is there are not that many good managers available. I imagine there will be a collective groan whatever the appointment. How do you fill Coppell's shoes ?

nb: Dowie was used as an example.

It's football, the fans are the only thing that remains constant. Players go, Chairmen go, Managers go. You get good ones, bad ones and occasionally like Coppell a special one. It's almost impossible to replace someone like that. IF he moves on, I think we could finally have a reason to have a statue outside the ground!!! not just that IF he went he will go down as the greatest manager in the history of this club, the club will move on and there will be a team here next season. It's not the end of the world, just a sad conclusion to a legendary chapter.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 09 May 2008 15:07

He's got one more year on his contract and he's a honourable man, I'd expect him to see out his contract before taking that break he's talked about.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 09 May 2008 15:16

SpaceCruiser He's got one more year on his contract and he's a honourable man, I'd expect him to see out his contract before taking that break he's talked about.

Bloody hell!

I agree with Spacey. :shock:

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 09 May 2008 15:23

Tbh i think we will walk whatever happens come the end of the season.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 09 May 2008 15:25

He is an honourable mane, but I wouldn't see any dishonour in resigning on Monday based that he is satisfied with the job he's done and he's having a rest. Maybe he sees it differently to me, but if he resigned on Monday I'd have no problem and would be thankful for the job he's done. I'd still be gutted mind you.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 09 May 2008 15:41

Gordons Cumming
SpaceCruiser He's got one more year on his contract and he's a honourable man, I'd expect him to see out his contract before taking that break he's talked about.

Bloody hell!

You are right in the sense that SC would not suddenly walk away but SC & JM both know that managers seeing out their contract after announcing that they want to go never works. Alex Ferguson when he decided to retire and Kevin Keegan at Man City are but two examples. If SC was going to stay long term he would soon be talking about a new contract whch clearly he does not want. I suspect that it has already been agreed that he will go at the end of this season and my money is on Eamon Dolan to replace him.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 May 2008 15:54

Although it could always have been a two year deal with an option for all parties to review the situation after 12months.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 09 May 2008 15:59

North Somerset Royal
Gordons Cumming

Bloody hell!

You are right in the sense that SC would not suddenly walk away but SC & JM both know that managers seeing out their contract after announcing that they want to go never works. Alex Ferguson when he decided to retire and Kevin Keegan at Man City are but two examples. If SC was going to stay long term he would soon be talking about a new contract whch clearly he does not want. I suspect that it has already been agreed that he will go at the end of this season and my money is on Eamon Dolan to replace him.

He hasn't exactly said he wants to leave after the end of the current contract, therefore your point is irrelevant. But when it comes to talking about the next new contract, we'll see what he wants....

Stranded Although it could always have been a two year deal with an option for all parties to review the situation after 12months.

Indeed, but we don't know if that's the case, do we?

1747 posts