FAO Sir Steve

226 posts
Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

Re: FAO Sir Steve

by Only one Trevor Morley » 12 May 2008 09:11

The more managerial upheaval you have, the less well you'll do.

I think he would get the best out of these players and be able to chagen things where its needed.

We dont wantSanchez or god forbid Allardyce.......

Dickie Davies

by Dickie Davies » 12 May 2008 09:13

Platypuss You don't know what you have until it's gone.

Never a truer phrase typed.

Absolutely devo'd but I know we can come back from this, and if it means a trip to Wembley next year then a summer of heartache I can handle. Oh, and QPR away...

It's not all doom and gloom but Christ it feels like it.

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by DelBoyRodders » 12 May 2008 09:18

How refreshing to read this thread the morning after a heartbreaking relegation.

Steve Coppell, you are the greatest manager this club has ever had - PLEASE STAY.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 12 May 2008 09:33

I think Coppell owes it to us fans to have at least 1 more season and get us back into the Premiership - walking away is the easy option

emmer green dave

by emmer green dave » 12 May 2008 09:37

Let's be honest does SC need the hassle as he is obviously in a situation where a year off he can re-charge his batteries.So let him take over as director of football as he would input more into RFC than Hammond.Yesterday looked a farewell wave although he says it was not.There is a board meeting with everyone involved on Tuesday. Perhaps by end of week we might be told of what's happening.
SC you were and still are the best we have had.
Good luck in what ever you decide.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 12 May 2008 09:43

If we'd stayed up, I wouldn't have minded Coppell going and seeing if a new manager could push us onwards

However, now we've gone done I will be gutted if Coppell walks as I think we'll need him. Without him, things could fall apart very quickly

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 12 May 2008 09:44

I expect Coppell will go, because he will feel that it is the right thing to do. However, he's exactly the kind of manager that the club will need next season - calm, collected, respected, experienced. His staying might persuade some of the players we will need to hold onto that they should stay for at least one season; his departure might herald a mass exodus from the club.

Whilst I have been frustrated by some of his decisions (or, more importantly, his lack of decision) in some games, I will be gutted to see him leave. Whether he stays or goes, he will remain the best manager this club has ever had, and I hope always a respected and welcome guest.

Ding_dong

by Ding_dong » 12 May 2008 09:52

Mr Coppell - please stay. We need you to get us back up = please :cry:

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 12 May 2008 09:54

People come and go and you continue to support your football club, regardless....

... but one of the nicest things about being a Reading fan in recent years is that not only do you want to your team to win because they are your team, but you want them to win because you like them as individuals.

The players are a nice bunch of people - you couldn't meet more likeable, down-to-earth players like Doyler, Murty, Ivar etc - and as for the manager, Steve Coppell is dignity incarnate. He was a brilliant footballer and he is a modest, likeable, brilliant manager. I feel lucky to have him at the helm, I feel lucky to have witnessed this period in Reading FC's history. He has exorcised the nearly-team/near-promotion of 1994/95, he has put our club on the map, and if he chooses to stay he could get us back up if things go his way. Whatever his decision, I can't think of anyone I would prefer to manage this club.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 12 May 2008 09:54

If one of RFCs scouts is to be believed (from a chat a couple of months back) Coppell had decided to go no matter what happened. :cry:

Coppell = Legend

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 May 2008 09:56

Thanks for the good times Coppell but from all that I'm hearing it sounds like it's time to walk.

All the noises imply that he, like a few of his players, haven't the heart to give Reading what we need.

It's going to be an interesting summer!!!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 May 2008 09:57

Platypuss You don't know what you have until it's gone.

We could gain a parking lot though

SSC to stay, RFC to become his longest stay at any club!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 12 May 2008 09:59

Wally Downes promoted to manager!?

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 12 May 2008 10:01

If SC was already planning a break from football, now is the time for him to take it. I want him to stay but if we intend to bounce straight back up, I do not relish the prospect of having a manager next season who had no intention of staying beyond this time next year.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 12 May 2008 10:02

If you are reading this then can I borrow a tenner?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 May 2008 10:04

John Madejski's Wallet If one of RFCs scouts is to be believed (from a chat a couple of months back) Coppell had decided to go no matter what happened. :cry:

Coppell = Legend

I remember the uproar surrounding that article in which he kind of let it slip.

Many on here said it was just a throw away comment. I think it's always been in the back of his mind that this would be his last season.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 12 May 2008 10:09

We may have played prettier football under other managers but it cannot be argued that SC is the most successful manager we've had and I would be very sad to see him go although you would have to respect his decision if that's what he wants.

Personally I'm very proud to have a man of integrity in charge of my team, a man who is highly respected by his peers, pundits, players,journalists etc., a man who does not try to be a celebrity and has little time for the prima-dona modern player.

I just hope that he can rekindle his enthusiasm and find a new batch of "young and hungry" to take us back to the promised land, with maybe the help of a fresh,young coach who has played in the modern game.

Are you busy Mr Sheringham

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 12 May 2008 10:11

The Rouge People come and go and you continue to support your football club, regardless....

... but one of the nicest things about being a Reading fan in recent years is that not only do you want to your team to win because they are your team, but you want them to win because you like them as individuals.

The players are a nice bunch of people - you couldn't meet more likeable, down-to-earth players like Doyler, Murty, Ivar etc - and as for the manager, Steve Coppell is dignity incarnate. He was a brilliant footballer and he is a modest, likeable, brilliant manager. I feel lucky to have him at the helm, I feel lucky to have witnessed this period in Reading FC's history. He has exorcised the nearly-team/near-promotion of 1994/95, he has put our club on the map, and if he chooses to stay he could get us back up if things go his way. Whatever his decision, I can't think of anyone I would prefer to manage this club.

Spot on! Excellent post!

Again Sir Steve... STAY! We are fond of you and you've said you're fond of us!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 May 2008 10:14

please stay steve

i feckin love u man

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 12 May 2008 10:46

Please stay Sir Steve, if your reading this then i would like to say that as a fan of this club for 20 years, I have seen relegation before and so today im not feeling to bad I have come to terms with this quite quicly but if you leave then it really will drive a stake through the heart of this club and its fans.the best chance of getting back to the premier league is with you in charge!we don’t need anymore heartbreak so please stay!

226 posts