Am i the only one feeling this way re: Burns?

OldBiscuit

Am i the only one feeling this way re: Burns?

by OldBiscuit » 15 May 2008 18:37

Now i don't wish death on too many people and certainly not Tommy Burns, but the USA style emotion virus seems to have affected Reading FC.
I am reading various superlatives for the man and don't know why? as far as i can remember, all Tommy did at Reading was take the pist, empty Sir John's bank account (in the Chairmans absence) and share it with his buddies. The football was atrocious, then he had the nerve to slag off Reading FC on his departure. I recall game like Bristol rovers at home 0-6, and Burns joking after the game! As far as i'm concerned, he was the worst manager in the history of Reading Football Club. As i say, i would not wish death on any one, but i'm glad that this happenned in close season so that we don't have to endure one of those sickly "Minutes Silence.
My condolences to Tommy's family.

mahoj002

Re: Am i the only one feeling this way?

by mahoj002 » 15 May 2008 18:48

lol ok then old timer :lol:

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 15 May 2008 18:53

shithouse.

sucatraps

by sucatraps » 15 May 2008 18:54

I have heard some folks say that TB was too advanced for us! his teams played sideways and retained the ball, unfortunately for us that's all they did! they forgot all about the going forward and scoring bit!!!

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 15 May 2008 18:55

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 402589.stm

Reading captain Graeme Murty has led the tributes to former Royals manager Tommy Burns, who has died aged 51.

Burns had an 18-month spell in charge of Reading from March 1998 and bought Murty to the club from York City.

Speaking to BBC Radio Berkshire, Murty described Burns as "the most likeable person I've ever met in football".

"He was a genuinely warm and friendly human being, who had time for anyone and was the most giving guy I have met during my time in football," he said.

"When you go into work every single day and you see someone who's never afraid to make hard decisions but also never changing the kind of person that they are, I think that gives you some kind of mark of the person they are.

"All the way through, throughout his time at Reading, when he was in Scotland, through all his time with Celtic, he conducted himself with marvellous dignity.

"It brings you back to the overriding principle that he was just a lovely guy and we're going to miss him and obviously, mine and my families thoughts are with him at the moment."

Although in terms of results, Burns' spell at Reading was not a success, Murty felt he made a major impact.

"He brought a big team mentality to the club and he certainly opened our eyes to what the club could achieve just by what he aspired to.

"I think that aspirational philosophy stuck with the club."

We all know he didn't do a good job with us but I think what Murty said seems true and it's not as if he ruined us is it?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 15 May 2008 18:58

I was there at Elm Park http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/reading/7402589.stm

Reading captain Graeme Murty has led the tributes to former Royals manager Tommy Burns, who has died aged 51.

Burns had an 18-month spell in charge of Reading from March 1998 and bought Murty to the club from York City.

Speaking to BBC Radio Berkshire, Murty described Burns as "the most likeable person I've ever met in football".

"He was a genuinely warm and friendly human being, who had time for anyone and was the most giving guy I have met during my time in football," he said.

"When you go into work every single day and you see someone who's never afraid to make hard decisions but also never changing the kind of person that they are, I think that gives you some kind of mark of the person they are.

"All the way through, throughout his time at Reading, when he was in Scotland, through all his time with Celtic, he conducted himself with marvellous dignity.

"It brings you back to the overriding principle that he was just a lovely guy and we're going to miss him and obviously, mine and my families thoughts are with him at the moment."

Although in terms of results, Burns' spell at Reading was not a success, Murty felt he made a major impact.

"He brought a big team mentality to the club and he certainly opened our eyes to what the club could achieve just by what he aspired to.

We all know he didn't do a good job with us but I think what Murty said seems true and it's not as if he ruined us is it?

His impact would have been quite high. Expensive players (for the level) on contracts aimed at getting up a division ...

People forget that we were relatively big spenders for the third tier. I know another poster suggested we were a lot nearer to Wigan (well, a division apart now) than fans would like to think.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 15 May 2008 19:15

papereyes
I was there at Elm Park http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/reading/7402589.stm

His impact would have been quite high. Expensive players (for the level) on contracts aimed at getting up a division ...

People forget that we were relatively big spenders for the third tier. I know another poster suggested we were a lot nearer to Wigan (well, a division apart now) than fans would like to think.

Good point but I was just making the point that we went onto much better things so his legacy hasn't held us back on the playing side. Anyway it's not really worth arguing about it.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 May 2008 19:19

papereyes

What he did appeared to have been fully sanctioned by the man JM left in charge whilst he took his extended tax holiday! Maybe that's why NH doesn't look after the footballing side of the business now!

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

Re: Am i the only one feeling this way re: Burns?

by Handsome Man » 15 May 2008 21:50

I'm very sad he died - so young. etc - but surely nobody is going to try and pretend that his time at Reading was anything but the worst spell of management we have ever had. £4.5 million on players so crap that poor Pardew had to spend the next two years gradually getting rid of them. Oster might not be popular, and Fae might not have been a success, but Sean Evers and James McIntyre were £920,000 on players who wouldn't get a place in a decent school team. Admittedly he bought Murty, but for £800,000 as an injured winger, unable to play much for a season or so. We have had the best spell for watching Reading over the last few years, and I know when I think this started - the day that Pardew arrived: he bought Robinson. who wasn't crap; he bought Butler who was brilliant; we beat Stoke in front of millions of their fans; everything seemed good again..

Squelchy2507

by Squelchy2507 » 15 May 2008 22:03

OldBiscuit Now i don't wish death on too many people and certainly not Tommy Burns, but the USA style emotion virus seems to have affected Reading FC.
I am reading various superlatives for the man and don't know why? as far as i can remember, all Tommy did at Reading was take the pist, empty Sir John's bank account (in the Chairmans absence) and share it with his buddies. The football was atrocious, then he had the nerve to slag off Reading FC on his departure. I recall game like Bristol rovers at home 0-6, and Burns joking after the game! As far as i'm concerned, he was the worst manager in the history of Reading Football Club. As i say, i would not wish death on any one, but i'm glad that this happenned in close season so that we don't have to endure one of those sickly "Minutes Silence.

I'm with you OB

jonboy

by jonboy » 15 May 2008 22:24

Me too

Burns put this club back years - he massively under estimated the league we were in.
We had players on long contracts with high wages.
Can you remember the magnificent 7 he bought in on transfer deadline day - no not really they were all pretty poor.

This is exactly why JM runs the club the way he does now - a strict wage structure, not over streching and planning for the worse and I'm afraid that's what Burns was.

I seem to remember seeing him at Elm Park at a testamonial when he first joined - he scored a screamer and was bril, that was the only good thing he did!

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 15 May 2008 23:16

mini _dariusz shithouse.

Steady on mate, the man only died today!

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 15 May 2008 23:28

jonboy This is exactly why JM runs the club the way he does now - a strict wage structure, not over streching and planning for the worse

So TB did good for us then.

wiggso

by wiggso » 15 May 2008 23:32

OldBiscuit Now i don't wish death on too many people and certainly not Tommy Burns, but the USA style emotion virus seems to have affected Reading FC.

i dont agree at all, he was our fit and healthy manager 10 years ago and from what has been said seems like a top bloke and a tragedy that he died so young. yes he made some big mistakes as all humans do but i never held anything against him and thought he did his best for us and never tried to tke the piss, i would respect the minutes silence!!!

Royal for Sale

by Royal for Sale » 15 May 2008 23:39

I think that, no matter what our opinions are about Tommy Burns as manager of Reading, it's probably all been said before. From what I've heard today he was a decent, well-liked human being, a family man, and he died at a relatively young age of a horrible illness. We should at least respect that and those that are grieving for him, so I don't think it's appropriate to be sticking the knife in right now. We just look bitter and undignified by doing so.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 15 May 2008 23:42

who brought our current captain to the club?

Cookie

by Cookie » 15 May 2008 23:55

You might recal that he was lined up for the job when Jimmy and Mick were sacked. He turned it down after a lot of thought to return to his job as assistant at Newcastle Utd.

But when Bullivant subsequently failed to make any impression the following season Madejski went after his man again, and appointed him days before the transfer deadline. He famously transferred in six players plus a loan signing before we went down anyway. (With Stoke & Man City)

While he was here he was allowed to spend in only relatively small amounts, being denied some of the bigger names he really needed. And the relationship with the chairman quickly deteriorated.

He was a man who had brought success to Glasgow Celtic with big players, and he failed with some of the tiddlers here.

Let's not forget though, to applaud him for Peter Grant, Graeme Murty and Nicky Forster.

God Bless You Tommy. RIP.
Last edited by Cookie on 16 May 2008 00:15, edited 1 time in total.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 16 May 2008 00:02

Handsome Man surely nobody is going to try and pretend that his time at Reading was anything but the worst spell of management we have ever had

He was a legend compared to the man he replaced.

backintheday

by backintheday » 16 May 2008 00:05

You've hit the nail on head there OB. The football was f<@#ing awful !!!!
R.I.P Tommy Burns.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 May 2008 00:11

No you're the only insensitive and heartless enough to spout sh*t at a time like this. I can argue with every of your points and would even call him one of the first victims of Madejski's tightness but I won't because this is not the time.

Tommy Burns, rest in peace.