Convey having his knee treated again

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Convey having his knee treated again

by rhroyal » 15 May 2008 13:11

A very interesting article here:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... ck_for_fae

Emerse Fae will never play for Reading again while Steve Coppell remains as manager – but Ibrahima Sonko will be given a second chance.

Both Fae and Sonko infuriated the Royals boss last month by refusing to play in a reserve game against Tottenham.

They were immediately banned from the club for 14 days and fined two weeks’ wages.

Sonko lost an appeal over the decision, but Fae, the club’s £2.5million record signing, flew back to France and launched a blistering attack on Coppell.

Fae still has two years left on his contract, but the Ivory Coast international has made it clear he wants to leave Reading after a miserable season in English football.

It looks as though he has got his wish.

Coppell, who is set to confirm his own future at the club, despite relegation to the Championship, told the Evening Post: “If I’m still here, he won’t play for Reading again.”

Fae has been a flop since his move from Nantes. He made just three Premier League starts, plus a further five as a substitute as well as three appearances in the cups.

So for every appearance he has made in the league, he has cost Reading more than £400,000.

Coppell said: “Sometimes you have to accept a player just does not fit. When you make signings, especially in the Premier League, every one has to be right. But it doesn’t always work like that.”

Royals’ boss pointed out that even Premier League-winning manager Sir Alex Ferguson admits he has made mistakes in the transfer market.

“Fergie has gone on record over the years saying that some of his signings have not worked. It sounds cruel but that is just the way it is.

“I have to accept that Fae was not a good signing for us. He is not the right person. He did not come at the right time and he is not the right fit, but I am sure there will be a lot of French clubs who would be ready to take him,” added Coppell.

Sonko, though, will be given a chance to redeem himself. The defender has been a loyal servant to Reading since joining on a free transfer from Brentford in July 2004.

He put club before country on several occasions by snubbing the chance to play for Senegal.

Sonko, who also has two years left on his contract, has failed to recapture his best form since returning from a serious knee injury, but he is keen to stay at Reading and will return after going on international duty this summer.

“He is a different case,” admitted Coppell. “I spoke with him and said to him ‘it’s up to you now’. He is off with Senegal for the World Cup qualifiers, so I wished him well.”

Meanwhile Bobby Convey is back in the USA where he will have an injection in an attempt to clear up his troublesome knee problem.

Coppell added: “He flew home early because his knee was still not 100 per cent.

“I told him I wouldn’t be using him for our final game at Derby and we both made the decision that he would fly back to the States early and get an injection in his knee.

“The sooner he gets it done the better as he will come back in better shape.”

The thing that stood out for me at the end is Convey is still not fully fit and functioning. Do you think that is why he was left in the cold after his impressive performance at Arsenal? It seems to me that ever since we've been in the Premiership Convey has had an injury holding him back in some way, do you think he'll ever be fully fit and clear of it again? After all, we've had almost 2 years and we still haven't sorted it out.

westendgirl

Re: Convey having his knee treated again

by westendgirl » 15 May 2008 15:19

rhroyal The thing that stood out for me at the end is Convey is still not fully fit and functioning. Do you think that is why he was left in the cold after his impressive performance at Arsenal? It seems to me that ever since we've been in the Premiership Convey has had an injury holding him back in some way, do you think he'll ever be fully fit and clear of it again? After all, we've had almost 2 years and we still haven't sorted it out.

At the fans forum SC said that Bobby hadn't been able to complete a full training session without worrying about his knee and stretching it, or pulling out early because of pain when shooting, so this is no surprise. Hope it is not career threathening but after a whole year rehab it must be close unless the next session works.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 May 2008 15:35

And Coppell kows a thing or two about knee injuries and how they affect careers!

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 15 May 2008 19:37

Sadly I do not think we can wait on Little or Convey to recover, neither of their injuries are down to RFC as such, but a weakness of their bodies and the inability to cope with the stresses and strains that being a footballer at a high level requires.

It is with a sadness that I have to say both should be allowed to leave Reading FC..

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 15 May 2008 22:14

Gutted if Little and Convey cant overcome their injuries...they could be the focal point of the team in the Championship, like they were when we were promoted.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 May 2008 10:09

LoyalRoyal22 Gutted if Little and Convey cant overcome their injuries...they could be the focal point of the team in the Championship, like they were when we were promoted.

theyll stay

a new left and right winger will be brought in, with henry covering if little and convey get injured again

hopefully

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 16 May 2008 10:16

The 17 Bus Sadly I do not think we can wait on Little or Convey to recover, neither of their injuries are down to RFC as such, but a weakness of their bodies and the inability to cope with the stresses and strains that being a footballer at a high level requires.

It is with a sadness that I have to say both should be allowed to leave Reading FC..

Maybe Little seeing as if he recovers he'll only have a year or so left in him anyway. I think Convey should be given a chance, he was brilliant in our promotion season and could become a big player for us whichever division we play in. He can dribble, cross, pass and shoot better than Hunt and the way he bombs down the left the moment Marcus picks up the ball is a great counter attacking outlet. Lets just hope that over the summer he can put these last 2 years behind him.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 May 2008 14:18

If this doesn't work, I would look hard into replacing him.

No room for sentimentality here.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 16 May 2008 14:46

It's all about having enough depth in the squad to cover for injuries.

Failing that we could, for once, go and get a half decent player on loan to plug the gap whilst Convey/Little get back to fitness. We can't afford to just hope they get better like we did last season.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 May 2008 15:40

The most interesting part of this article is the subliminal message that SSC appears to be giving - that he's staying put !!

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 17 Jun 2008 21:41

Franchise FC The most interesting part of this article is the subliminal message that SSC appears to be giving - that he's staying put !!

'greed.

If a player's leaving, you don't use him in a modelling shoot for the new clothing range.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 86,00.html

HURRAY

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 17 Jun 2008 21:58

What a shame that would have been if Bryn would have broke his hip while shooting that..... :wink:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Jun 2008 10:04

gayest pics ever
i think we we may as well play in pink sometimes

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 18 Jun 2008 10:07

Row Z Royal If a player's leaving, you don't use him in a modelling shoot for the new clothing range.

HURRAY

Wish they'd used Doyle, Kitson, Harper, Hunt and Hahnemann then (amongst others).

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 18 Jun 2008 11:31

brendywendy gayest pics ever
i think we we may as well play in pink sometimes

The brochure is even worse, with a superimposed picture of Cisse jumping over Gunnar's back :shock:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Jun 2008 11:53

Ideal

Isn't golf mostly for homos anyway?

i played like a homo at the weekend anyway

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 18 Jun 2008 12:57

brendywendy
Ideal

Isn't golf mostly for homos anyway?

i played like a homo at the weekend anyway

Interesting.

I tend to swing both ways.

BOTP 8)

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 18 Jun 2008 12:58

Row Z Royal
Franchise FC The most interesting part of this article is the subliminal message that SSC appears to be giving - that he's staying put !!

'greed.

If a player's leaving, you don't use him in a modelling shoot for the new clothing range.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 86,00.html

HURRAY

That link has cheered me up no oxf*rd end :)

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1