2:30 PM PRESS CONFERENCE REGARDING COPPELL'S FUTURE

361 posts
The Surgeon of Crowthorne

Re: 2:30 PM PRESS CONFERENCE REGARDING COPPELL'S FUTURE

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 21 May 2008 14:07

Floyd, could you please change your avatar? I friggin hate Andy Steggal & looking at his mug just makes me want to keep punching the computer screen.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 May 2008 14:17

brendywendy we could well be in midtable at xmas, with alot of you thinking, coppell should have gone

What, so you wouldn't be thinking that? Where would we need to be next season in order for you to think he should have gone?

Somehow I get the feeling that we could be in the bottom 3 and Coppell would still be fine by you.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 May 2008 15:10

Athole Still might be John Madjeski's favourite football agent but it's certainly time he updated his website!!

http://www.atholestill.com/scripts/asi. ... 1035981439

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 May 2008 15:59

Denver Royal
brendywendy we could well be in midtable at xmas, with alot of you thinking, coppell should have gone

What, so you wouldn't be thinking that? Where would we need to be next season in order for you to think he should have gone?

Somehow I get the feeling that we could be in the bottom 3 and Coppell would still be fine by you.

ill never be singing for his head no.

but i know in my heart that he would go way before that became necessary.

plus midtable at xmas could easily translate into promotion one way or another as demonstrated this season

ill be happy to seriously push for the play offs, getting there automatically would be every bit as sweet as the 1st time

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 21 May 2008 18:11

brendywendy people like floyd really amaze me
im not saying his opinions are wrong, as this season has born out, if you keep on with the same message for long enough you will end up right eventually

If you base it on something approaching reality and reasonable, reasoned arguments, then more times than not, you'll be right.

Personally, my 'negative' attitude was simply a reaction to what the club is doing.

The whole Three Worse Teams Than Us idiocy was shown to be that when Bolton battered us 4 games in. I recall talking to Floyd after the Fulham game and agreeing that that was a relegation performance by us. This was the away game. On Guy Fawkes night. That's where the negative view came from - a near-complete inability for the side to win the games it needed to.

If you kept banging away that the club would turn it around last season, then you were ignoring the evidence of your own eyes. You deserve to be so painfully and embrassingly wrong.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2008 18:19

Denver Royal

There is a difference between thinking keeping him has worked and he is the right man in the job should we be doing badly, and being pleased that he did stay on to give it a shot, but dissapointed it hasn't worked.

Coppell staying guarantees nothing. It is the best chance for automatic promotion in by far the majorities opinion. That doesn't mean we will be top six, nor does it mean if we end up 16th that getting in a different manager would have been a better idea.

If Coppell is up for it, which clearly he is, then staying is completely the right thing to do, even if it isn't a success. Some of us will recognise that and come the end of a potential season of dissapointment bid him a fond farewell and still remember him as our best ever manager.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 21 May 2008 18:22

Coppell staying guarantees nothing. It is the best chance for automatic promotion in by far the majorities opinion. That doesn't mean we will be top six, nor does it mean if we end up 16th that getting in a different manager would have been a better idea.

The man speaks sense.

What we need is some level of continuity plus a man who knows what needs to be done. I just hope he's sufficiently disloyal to a bunch of players that let him down last season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2008 18:31

papereyes
im not saying his opinions are wrong, as this season has born out, if you keep on with the same message for long enough you will end up right eventually

If you base it on something approaching reality and reasonable, reasoned arguments, then more times than not, you'll be right.

Personally, my 'negative' attitude was simply a reaction to what the club is doing.

The whole Three Worse Teams Than Us idiocy was shown to be that when Bolton battered us 4 games in. I recall talking to Floyd after the Fulham game and agreeing that that was a relegation performance by us. This was the away game. On Guy Fawkes night. That's where the negative view came from - a near-complete inability for the side to win the games it needed to.

If you kept banging away that the club would turn it around last season, then you were ignoring the evidence of your own eyes. You deserve to be so painfully and embrassingly wrong.

I stand by the 3 teams worse than us attitude, there were more than 3 teams who were worse than us. But we helped them out and saved several by playing well below our level. Obviously the only thing that matters is we simply didn't play to our level or well enough over the season.

The problem I had with Floyd was he was clearly capable of making extremely rational and intelligent arguements for what was happening, but unlike you for example, he just decided to keep slating the club and over reacting. If you'd have only read his posts you'd think we were the worst team in premier league history not Derby, and that we'd been relegated by January rather than the last day of the season on goal difference.

I was of the opinion that the team had enough goals in it, and was accumulating points in such a way that they would do just about enough. I was wrong, but who could have predicted the two massive goal less runs we had, with Hunt, Kitson & Harper all scoring reasonably well and Doyle, Long and Lita all available.

Likewise, you'd have to have been a genius with a few months to go to predict the really significant turn arounds by Fulham and Bolton, to a lesser extent the likes of Wigan, Boro and Sunderland as well. Before our appalling run, the circumstances for us to go down were pretty long odds. Shit happens, they came up.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 May 2008 18:34

papereyes

perhaps its my fault for lumping everyone in with the group that said the same before the championship season, or when we finished 8th, i guess i just became immune to all of your/their words of wisdom

and LOL at anyone being in pain, or even vaguely embarrassed by a genuinely held opinion they expressed on a tinternet forum.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 21 May 2008 21:57

brendywendy perhaps its my fault for lumping everyone in with the group that said the same before the championship season, or when we finished 8th, i guess i just became immune to all of your/their words of wisdom

and LOL at anyone being in pain, or even vaguely embarrassed by a genuinely held opinion they expressed on a tinternet forum.

There is never an 'off-season' on HNA. Always something to whinge about one way or ther other. :lol:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 May 2008 22:17

I think the club should have postponed the conference by 24 hours at least, We've waited long enough so another day wouldn't have made any difference, reason I say this is because Sky Sports News had coverage of the funeral procession for Tommy Burns taking place on the streets of Glasgow then they switch to Reading FC and the jolly happy Chairman is telling us all about his leg injury, not even any words of sympathy for his former manager.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 22 May 2008 22:28

Can I just say what a great name 'Athole Still' is. I wondered if it was an anagram of something, or the name of some bottled water at first, but no.

Sorry. Please carry on with the discussion.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 May 2008 22:32

Sarah Star Can I just say what a great name 'Athole Still' is. When I saw it I wondered if it was an anagram of something, or the name of some bottled water.

he looked old enough to be Bobby Charlton's one time agent

...........maybe he was.............nice man tho'

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 23 May 2008 09:10

Sarah Star Can I just say what a great name 'Athole Still' is. I wondered if it was an anagram of something

EAT SH*T LOLL

So, 'Athole Still' is actually an anagram of a common HNA? post.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 23 May 2008 12:29

Sarah Star Can I just say what a great name 'Athole Still' is. I wondered if it was an anagram of something, or the name of some bottled water at first, but no.

It's frustratingly close to "Little Asshole"...

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 13 Apr 2009 23:44

ElmParker Congratulations to the parking space demonstrators.

Good job, fellas.

Yeah, thanks lads.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Apr 2009 23:45

As I said back then, well done dickheads.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 13 Apr 2009 23:54

Bah, there is no way of knowing if another manager would have the team performing any better. I love the fact that Reading is not like (nearly) every other club firing a manager as soon as they hit a bad spell. Coppell has earned more than that, he can stay as long as he likes as far as I am concerned.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Apr 2009 00:02

If you look since Madejski's been here we've given the likes of Quinn/Gooding, Bullivant and Burns far too long to sort things out before acting. Coppell's time is up and his limitations have been there for all to see.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Apr 2009 00:08

I agree in congratulating the Car Park crew on a good job.

It's not many teams who finish in the top 6 following relegation from the Prem. Given our history as a club another manager coming in could well have seen a mass departure from the club and poor replacements leading to a lower half finish and relegation in the next couple of years.

We may struggle to get promoted in the next 2-3 years, but I find it difficult to believe we'll be relegated. Frankly just staying top half of the Championship is good for us. Whilst I'm sure we'd all like better, some people need to realise that it would be easy to slip down the divisions, lose JM and become a nothing league 1 club again, with a massive stadium and increasing debts until we go bust.

That is, if we did things the way ROFLoyaLOLee wants us to.

361 posts