RUMOUR - Doyle to Aston Villa £4 million

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Doyle to Aston Villa £4 million

by chilipepper91 » 18 May 2008 12:15

If Bent from the Championship is worth £16.5m, then Doyle SHOULD be worth at least £10m. However, that was funny money. £6m and he'll go.

Ozymandias
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ozymandias » 19 May 2008 10:32

chilipepper91 If Bent from the Championship is worth £16.5m.

That has cheered me up.

I'd forgotten that, that's very funny.

wiggso

by wiggso » 19 May 2008 19:11

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 20 May 2008 08:54

chilipepper91 If Bent from the Championship is worth £16.5m, then Doyle SHOULD be worth at least £10m. However, that was funny money. £6m and he'll go.

Bent might've been overpriced but he was sold on the back of 5 or six seasons of proven goalscoring.

Doyle hasn't come close to consistently scoring as many as Bent.

I reckon 5m and we'll consider it. 7m and we'd take it in a shot.

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 20 May 2008 08:58

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe If Doyle wants to go, he'll go.

The last thing Coppell needs is to start this season with players who don't want to be here.

Absolutely. Which means that whatever players go pretty much depends on if any Prem clubs want them, assuming the price is acceptable.

windjammer
Location: Now living down in Cornwall, but missing the Royals

by windjammer » 20 May 2008 10:40

andrew1957
brendywendy i reckon if clubs come in with half decent bids for any of these players we shoud accept and use the money to rejig
i cant see much point in going into another season with the same squad

having said that 4 mill for doyle is undervalued

I understand what you are saying but fear that the more change there is the less chance of promotion next year. After all it took us 4 years to build the Championship winning squad last time round and if we lose too many it will take another 4 years or more this time. I think we have one chance of automatic return and the best chance is to keep faith with what we have. After all there is a huge gulf between Championship and PL as Derby have proved and we were only a tiny bit short of PL standard - so the current squad is well capable of an automatic return if they go into the season with a right attitude.

That's all very well but just assume we did get promotion next season having retained the majority of the squad and having kept departures down to a minimum on the back of Coppell saying he was going to stay. What then? You can here it now. "We are going to give those players who got us promotion the chance to prove they can stay in the Premier League". Back to square one again. We have to accept that some of our better players will leave and try to achieve promotion with a newish squad. To assume we can bounce straight back is arrogance, just look at the former Prem clubs in the Championship (or lower).

Toby_Jugs

by Toby_Jugs » 20 May 2008 11:48

wiggso http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1802_3585574,00.html

seems he is happy here though

If Villa want him, I am sure he will want to go. He had a dodgy seaosn to say to the least so he is probably not sure of how interested Premiership clubs will be in him as his stock has seriously decreased. If there are no interested Premiship parties, he is hardly going to say..I want to move and spoil his relatioship with the club and supporters.

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 20 May 2008 15:54

I'm comforted by his comment that he's happy with us. He moves to a Prem club, expectation, they can't get him up to scratch in a season and it's Premier league career over. He's young, he stays with us, regains his confidence, smashes the Championship, promoted with Reading, establishes himself and if he wants moves on. You have to remember where he came from only a couple of years ago.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 21 May 2008 10:42

To assume we can bounce straight back is arrogance, just look at the former Prem clubs in the Championship (or lower).

I'm not sure its arrogance given that most of those that plunge down and don't come back up get embroiled in boardroom issues. The ones that bounce around a bit all seem to have continuity and stability.

We have both of those, which stands us in good stead.

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 21 May 2008 11:04

windjammer
andrew1957
brendywendy i reckon if clubs come in with half decent bids for any of these players we shoud accept and use the money to rejig
i cant see much point in going into another season with the same squad

having said that 4 mill for doyle is undervalued

I understand what you are saying but fear that the more change there is the less chance of promotion next year. After all it took us 4 years to build the Championship winning squad last time round and if we lose too many it will take another 4 years or more this time. I think we have one chance of automatic return and the best chance is to keep faith with what we have. After all there is a huge gulf between Championship and PL as Derby have proved and we were only a tiny bit short of PL standard - so the current squad is well capable of an automatic return if they go into the season with a right attitude.

That's all very well but just assume we did get promotion next season having retained the majority of the squad and having kept departures down to a minimum on the back of Coppell saying he was going to stay. What then? You can here it now. "We are going to give those players who got us promotion the chance to prove they can stay in the Premier League". Back to square one again. We have to accept that some of our better players will leave and try to achieve promotion with a newish squad. To assume we can bounce straight back is arrogance, just look at the former Prem clubs in the Championship (or lower).

If that's what it means, I'd happily take being back at square one this time next year.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 21 May 2008 12:37

If thats true then I can only see him going. The friendly would also act as an incentive as they've probably said keep all the money.

Y25

by Y25 » 21 May 2008 13:36

his house is on the market

FACT

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 21 May 2008 13:50

Y25 his house is on the market

FACT

Does that really mean anything? He could just be moving to a different part of Berkshire or something.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 21 May 2008 14:13

SpaceCruiser
Y25 his house is on the market

FACT

Does that really mean anything? He could just be moving to a different part of Berkshire or something.

yeah he could be downsizing to a nice Studio in Tippetts Rise or something of the like. Credit crunch and all that times are hard.
Last edited by Focher on 21 May 2008 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

Y25

by Y25 » 21 May 2008 14:13

I would love that to be true - but unfortunately i'm thinking of a more likely scenario

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 21 May 2008 16:58

Isn't this what happened with Sidders, too? Him selling his house then moving into a rented place early in the season was a pretty clear sign he wasn't going to stay.

Y25

by Y25 » 21 May 2008 20:53

erm

Yes

Uncle Andy

Doyles house

by Uncle Andy » 22 May 2008 08:57

just gone on the market, read into that what you will.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Doyles house

by Zammo » 22 May 2008 09:01

How do you know ?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Doyles house

by Platypuss » 22 May 2008 09:04

He read it on UR&G.