Shorey - How much will he go for?

165 posts

Shorey - How much do you think he will go for?

Less than 3 Million
31%
3 - 5 Million
61%
5 Million +
8%

Total votes: 236
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Shorey - How much will he go for?

by Hoop Blah » 27 May 2008 10:55

Ian Royal
Southbank Old Boy
Ian Royal I am also quite capable of noticing the good stuff players do in the background. Which is why I'm a big fan of Harper. Though I'd like him more if he stopped thinking he was a defensive midfielder and attacked more. Crab Harper is good. Attacking Harper is great.

He is asked to play as "crab Harper" by the management though isn't he?

I'm pretty sure he's been asked to play more attacking as well. He considers himself to be a defensive midfielder.

Not for the last few months when alongside Matejovsky though.

Even when he played with Gunnarsson I don't think he was given much more licence to roam because Gunnarsson is quite box to box as well.

Alongside Bikey or Cisse I'd agree, Harper is probably asked to push on a lot more. It'd be interesting to see who he was playing alongside when he scored his 6 league goals (yes six, and two more than Sidwell did the season before when we were a better side scoring more goals).

6 goals isn't a bad return for a crab!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 May 2008 11:32

At the moment its not so much how much as when will he go?

Every day is additional salary to pay and lost bank interest, so he's already cost us almost a Doyle's* worth of money since the end of the season...

*'A doyle' = 80k

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 May 2008 12:49

brendywendy
Franchise FC
brendywendy dont think it ever soleley about the money-

why would any player of any note wish to spend his footballing life at a backwater club that isnt going to win anything

say what you want about sids-he gave it a go at a club where he could have won the premiere league, the champions league and both cups-didnt quite make it, but youd end up just regretting it if you didnt even at least try

Sorry to disagree - but it is absolutely all about money. If you offer enough, anyone will play for you. Just don't expect them to necesarily earn it.

thats rubbish

if we had - albeit improbably- matched, or even exceeded chelseas pay offer to him, do you think he would have stayed?

Actually, yes I do.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 May 2008 13:21

i think thats rubbish

but we are all entitled to an opinion

personally i think it was far more to do with playing for a big team, having a chance of playing in/winning all the big competitions, than the cash which was a very nice bonus
if we had offered 50KPW he would still have been mental to stay

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 May 2008 15:04

£2mill plus Hayden Mullins

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 27 May 2008 15:11

brendywendy i think thats rubbish

personally i think it was far more to do with playing for a big team, having a chance of playing in/winning all the big competitions, than the cash which was a very nice bonus

Maybe Sidwell did move for all the other stuff, but it never happened did it, so he's left with the money. If I was Shorey, that would put me off doing the same thing.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 May 2008 15:18

Precisely - he did get to play Champions league football for a few minutes!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 May 2008 15:28

Sarah Star

Maybe Sidwell did move for all the other stuff, but it never happened did it, so he's left with the money. If I was Shorey, that would put me off doing the same thing.

He's picked up a league runners up medal though. He was never going to get that at Reading.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 May 2008 16:34

league runners up, champions league football
and its earned him the move to a better club than reading even with his lack of playing time
no player with any ambition would have turned it down,

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 27 May 2008 18:06

brendywendy league runners up, champions league football
and its earned him the move to a better club than reading even with his lack of playing time

However, if this season characterizes the rest of his career, he won't describe the move as a good one.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 27 May 2008 18:33

Arch
brendywendy league runners up, champions league football

However, if this season characterizes the rest of his career, he won't describe the move as a good one.

He might. He gave it a go and thus far maybe it hasn't worked out. But if need be, he can always return to a team of Reading's level, where he knows he can play effectively. If he didn't give it a try, though, he may have forever wondered that he should have.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 01 Jun 2008 12:36

According to the Sunday Mirror:

No Nice price for ace Nicky
1/06/2008

Reading have warned French side Nice they will not land Nicky Shorey on the cheap.

The Ligue 1 side have been planning a £2million offer for Royals full-back Shorey, who is eager to leave the club to continue his push to become an England regular. West Ham, Newcastle and Aston Villa are all interested, too.

But Reading chief executive Nigel Howe said: "You sometimes get clubs who will fly a kite with a stupid offer, but no one will steal any of our players away."

Do you think they've got muddled up with Fae?

Coppelloadofthat
Location: You can do better than me, but I can't do better than you.

by Coppelloadofthat » 01 Jun 2008 12:49

Sunday MirrLOLr :lol:

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 01 Jun 2008 13:44

Sarah Star According to the Sunday Mirror:

No Nice price for ace Nicky
1/06/2008

Reading have warned French side Nice they will not land Nicky Shorey on the cheap.

The Ligue 1 side have been planning a £2million offer for Royals full-back Shorey, who is eager to leave the club to continue his push to become an England regular. West Ham, Newcastle and Aston Villa are all interested, too.

But Reading chief executive Nigel Howe said: "You sometimes get clubs who will fly a kite with a stupid offer, but no one will steal any of our players away."

Do you think they've got muddled up with Fae?

Quite possibly...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 87,00.html

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jun 2008 14:18

rhroyal You could say Sidwell, but the difference there was when he knew he was staying until the end of this season he got his head down and put in the best year of his life for us.

I'll admit that Sidwell was missed but he really didn't have a great season for us in 2006/7.

I suspect time will tell that the Championship is his correct level. (Of course that statement may apply to our whole squad but that's a different debate...)

Y25

by Y25 » 01 Jun 2008 20:20

Dirk Gently West Ham offered £4M for him in January. That was turned down because Leighton Baines had just gone from Wigan to Everton for £6M, and both RFC and NS agreed he was better than Baines.

But that was January - I think his stock has fallen quite a bit since then - as well as the time remaining on his contract - and it's also well-known that we need to reduce our wage bill.

So any bid is likely to be less than £3.5M, and we'll probably bite their hands off at that.

Do you think we should have sold for the 4Million then?

At the time I was desperate for him to stay.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2008 22:46

Y25
Dirk Gently West Ham offered £4M for him in January. That was turned down because Leighton Baines had just gone from Wigan to Everton for £6M, and both RFC and NS agreed he was better than Baines.

But that was January - I think his stock has fallen quite a bit since then - as well as the time remaining on his contract - and it's also well-known that we need to reduce our wage bill.

So any bid is likely to be less than £3.5M, and we'll probably bite their hands off at that.

Given we had Murty, De La Cruz and Rosenior, if I'd known at the time he wanted out and his heart wasn't in the job anymore, I'd have taken that offer. We could have reinvested some of it in Taylor and be in a better position now than we are, even if we'd still gone down.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing and obviously it was considered not enough given his worth to the team at that point. Missed opportunities.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 09 Jun 2008 12:07

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

Fezza

by Fezza » 09 Jun 2008 12:27

Ian Royal
Y25

Given we had Murty, De La Cruz and Rosenior, if I'd known at the time he wanted out and his heart wasn't in the job anymore, I'd have taken that offer. We could have reinvested some of it in Taylor and be in a better position now than we are, even if we'd still gone down.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing and obviously it was considered not enough given his worth to the team at that point. Missed opportunities.

You are Sir Steve ICMFP

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 12 Jun 2008 23:02

Fezza
Ian Royal Given we had Murty, De La Cruz and Rosenior, if I'd known at the time he wanted out and his heart wasn't in the job anymore, I'd have taken that offer. We could have reinvested some of it in Taylor and be in a better position now than we are, even if we'd still gone down.

You are Sir Steve ICMFP

Well he's almost as big an idiot, I'll give him that.

Whether he can look quite as ridiculous biting his lip looking dumbfounded and motionless on the touch line and sound like Lilly Savage's boring half brother in quite so shit a style is anyone's guess though.

165 posts