Marek for Sidwell

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Marek for Sidwell

by Millsy » 04 Jun 2008 18:15

If *I* was too choose the reason we went down it's simply because we lost Sidwell.

Sidders was a tireless ballwinner, scorer.

As a 'replacement' we got Marek who's none of those things but who is capable of making killer passes.

Doesn't swappig one sort of plyer for an entirely different one totally change the way a team works?

Sidders would run all over the place, win balls, and lay off to the wings or shoot.

Marek, although he tries to do the above doesn't pull it off like Sidwell did and is best utilised by receiving the ball and knocking in a through ball.

Does anyone agree/disagree that changing one type of central player for another totally changes the way we play?

And what is more suitable for the Championship - a tireless runner and ballwinner like Sidwell or a world class passer?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

Re: Marek for Sidwell

by papereyes » 04 Jun 2008 18:23

2 world wars, 1 world cup If *I* was too choose the reason we went down it's simply because we lost Sidwell.

Sidders was a tireless ballwinner, scorer.

As a 'replacement' we got Marek who's none of those things but who is capable of making killer passes.

Doesn't swappig one sort of plyer for an entirely different one totally change the way a team works?

Sidders would run all over the place, win balls, and lay off to the wings or shoot.

Marek, although he tries to do the above doesn't pull it off like Sidwell did and is best utilised by receiving the ball and knocking in a through ball.

Does anyone agree/disagree that changing one type of central player for another totally changes the way we play?

And what is more suitable for the Championship - a tireless runner and ballwinner like Sidwell or a world class passer?

About 12 months late, btw. I think this is essentially what has been said since Sidwell left.

And we replaced him with his understudy, at first, a move that was to, somehow, improve the squad and the team.

However, I think losing Sidwell and the extended loss of Convey and Little may have had a combined effect worse than the combination of the individual effects. If we'd had a decent pair of wingers then there wouldn't have been the emphasis on our midfield. If we'd had a decent midfielder, there wouldn't have been the emphasis on our 'wingers' (Hunt and Oster) to create and cover. Add in a complete and utter loss of form from Lita and Doyle and you've removed the three key aspects of both our promotion season and our successful first season.

Is it any wonder we went down when we did nothing about all this?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jun 2008 18:47

namroyal

by namroyal » 04 Jun 2008 18:51

When did Steve Sidwell leave? Why wasn't anyone told about this? Maybe we could arrange a protest in his parking space, and he'll come back?

I'm shocked.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 04 Jun 2008 18:52

Royal Rother

bless

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 04 Jun 2008 19:10

Royal Rother

Are they eating that poor horse? :shock:

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 04 Jun 2008 19:11

Arnie_Pie
Royal Rother

Are they eating that poor horse? :shock:

Maybe they're french?

(that'll set Spacey off)

sonkoissuperman

by sonkoissuperman » 04 Jun 2008 19:35

Marek is one of the best players to grace Reading football Club, obviously Sidwell was a good player but no way is he better than marek ! Marek will do the club proud this coming season just you wait and see, if he had been selected more often then i honestly think we would have stayed up! He is exciting and talented, the reason we went down is by sticking with that lump between the posts and not investing in our ageing defence.

Berry

by Berry » 04 Jun 2008 19:40

sonkoissuperman Marek is one of the best players to grace Reading football Club, obviously Sidwell was a good player but no way is he better than marek ! Marek will do the club proud this coming season just you wait and see, if he had been selected more often then i honestly think we would have stayed up! He is exciting and talented, the reason we went down is by sticking with that lump between the posts and not investing in our ageing defence.

Your not his agent are you?

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 04 Jun 2008 19:45

I agree with Coppell on this. Little being injured hurt us most last season.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 04 Jun 2008 19:56

sonkoissuperman Marek is one of the best players to grace Reading football Club, obviously Sidwell was a good player but no way is he better than marek ! Marek will do the club proud this coming season just you wait and see, if he had been selected more often then i honestly think we would have stayed up! He is exciting and talented, the reason we went down is by sticking with that lump between the posts and not investing in our ageing defence.

D I C K

Cookie

by Cookie » 04 Jun 2008 20:27

No, don't agree. If everyone had competed as consistently as Marcus Hahnemann then we'd all be looking forward to Premier League fixtures coming out next week, and the 18 points that we'd collect against messers Hull, WBA and Stoke.

Instead, what have we got?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Jun 2008 20:42

Sorry if this discussion was had when Marek joined.

So can I emphasise the more relevant part of the originl thread then please, namely:

What is most useful in the Championship?

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 04 Jun 2008 21:00

A good team, a good pitch, some great fans, can you be more specific?

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 04 Jun 2008 21:15

I thought Marek was signed in january 2008 & only made 10 starts for Reading.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jun 2008 21:46

2 world wars, 1 world cup Sorry if this discussion was had when Marek joined.

So can I emphasise the more relevant part of the originl thread then please, namely:

What is most useful in the Championship?

My dead horse was not directed at your post which was looking at it from a slightly different perspective to other discussions I have been aware of, more it was a comment on papereyes saying approximately the same thing for the 1000th time since the end of the season. (Although to be fair he does claim to have made some vague similar references earlier in the season as well.... :wink: )

Fezza

by Fezza » 04 Jun 2008 22:26

2.8 lita injection I thought Marek was signed in january 2008 & only made 10 starts for Reading.

That pretty much covers it Marek was not Sidwells replacement!

We replaced Sidwell with Fae - we spent £2.5 million on a player who was, due to not getting picked and not being up to premiership pace, in no way worth signing at all.

If your looking for reasons we went down try one of;

Failure to invest in a Right winger in June despite knowing the extent of Littles injury
To much faith in the first team
Not replacing Doyle despite his obvious issues finding the back of the net
Gunnar getting injured when he was the only midfield player we had capable of making a tackle
and so many more I can't be arsed to write down!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 05 Jun 2008 00:24

Fezza
2.8 lita injection I thought Marek was signed in january 2008 & only made 10 starts for Reading.

We replaced Sidwell with Fae - we spent £2.5 million on a player who was, due to not getting picked and not being up to premiership pace, in no way worth signing at all.

Failure to invest in a Right winger in June despite knowing the extent of Littles injury
Gunnar getting injured when he was the only midfield player we had capable of making a tackle

and even then he was probably late

WAHEY!!!! I'm here all week.

I really don't think any one problem let us down. It was a combination of them, all highlighting other problems, that did for us. With one part of the team not working, another needed to step up to the plate and with the other not working then another needed to and then another and another.

Little wonder Hahnemann is one of the few players to come out of the season with any credit.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 05 Jun 2008 08:17

We never replaced Sidwell.

HTH.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 05 Jun 2008 08:45

papereyes
Fezza

and even then he was probably late

WAHEY!!!! I'm here all week.

I really don't think any one problem let us down. It was a combination of them, all highlighting other problems, that did for us. With one part of the team not working, another needed to step up to the plate and with the other not working then another needed to and then another and another.

Little wonder Hahnemann is one of the few players to come out of the season with any credit.

All the reasons you mention in my opinion are sole responsiblity of the manager and yet the majority of fans wanted him to stay. Coppell got us relegated simple as.