Rumour - Ben Watson

335 posts
1871royals

Re: Rumour - Ben Watson

by 1871royals » 02 Jul 2008 23:11

How many people on this site have actually seen Ben Watson play?

He’s a great footballer at this level but he’s not a ballwinner. Like James Harper he would be too similar to Marek. He’s a creative flair midfield, takes all their set pieces etc. We need a tough tackling ball winner in CM.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Jul 2008 23:43

Heaven forfend we push the boat out to have more than two decent central midfielders.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Jul 2008 08:57

1871royals How many people on this site have actually seen Ben Watson play?

He’s a great footballer at this level but he’s not a ballwinner. Like James Harper he would be too similar to Marek. He’s a creative flair midfield, takes all their set pieces etc. We need a tough tackling ball winner in CM.

Must be 2 Ben Watsons. Robbie Savage takes set pieces but it doesn't disguise the fact that he is/was basically a strong tackling box to box midfielder. Post Sidwell one of our major issues is having someone closing down in the opposition third of the pitch and stopping counter attacks at source. Watson would provide this in my opinion.

Sadly though if its a race between us and QPR for his signature I fear we will be 2nd.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 03 Jul 2008 09:07

I'd agree with Vision, and 1871 to an extent.

Watson isn't a tough tackling thug of a midfielder in the mould of a Parky or Savage. He also isn't quite as physical, some might say savy, as Sidwell was. He is very similar in the amount of ground he can cover though and like Vision says, thats probably the bit of Sidwells game we missed most, not just his ability to lunge in and win the ball or take the man to stop the opposition.

Although he and Marek might not make the ideal combination, Watson would be a very good signing for this season and the future.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 05 Jul 2008 11:41

Whenever I have seen Watson I liked what I saw. He has a hunger for the game that is a little like Harper's and he would definitely be good for us and a 'Coppell' player.

I also think he's the kind of player that could make the step up to the prem if/when we go up again...

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 05 Jul 2008 19:47

Archie's penalty Whenever I have seen Watson I liked what I saw. He has a hunger for the game that is a little like Harper's and he would definitely be good for us and a 'Coppell' player.

I also think he's the kind of player that could make the step up to the prem if/when we go up again...

I have seen him play about a dozen times and have mates who are Palace fans and obviously see him play week in and week out and am sure he could step up to the premiership already with say Fulham or West Ham.. If he does leave Palace and I know Jordan is trying hard not to let him go for anything but silly money, it will only probably be the two teams mentioned above of possibly QPR.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 05 Jul 2008 20:17

londinium
Archie's penalty Whenever I have seen Watson I liked what I saw. He has a hunger for the game that is a little like Harper's and he would definitely be good for us and a 'Coppell' player.

I have seen him play about a dozen times and have mates who are Palace fans and obviously see him play week in and week out and am sure he could step up to the premiership already with say Fulham or West Ham.. If he does leave Palace and I know Jordan is trying hard not to let him go for anything but silly money, it will only probably be the two teams mentioned above of possibly QPR.

And why not us?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jul 2008 14:43

I'm presuming the implication is we won't pay the silly monye but the others will.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Jul 2008 15:14

Warnock has confirmed that 2 bids have been rejected for Watson as they do not meet their valuation of the player.

QPR appears to be one of the clubs, but no indication who the other is.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 07 Jul 2008 15:16

Wycombe Royal Warnock has confirmed that 2 bids have been rejected for Watson as they do not meet their valuation of the player.

Doubt it's us, I'd be surprised if Reading make a move before they know whether Harper is staying or going.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Jul 2008 15:52

Alan Partridge
Wycombe Royal Warnock has confirmed that 2 bids have been rejected for Watson as they do not meet their valuation of the player.

Doubt it's us, I'd be surprised if Reading make a move before they know whether Harper is staying or going.

Maybe they already know what is happening with Harper?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 07 Jul 2008 15:54

Stranded
Alan Partridge

Maybe they already know what is happening with Harper?

Yep fair point, maybe.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 07 Jul 2008 15:56

Palace have got a cheek !
'Not met their valuation' !! We've told them what he's worth and the least they can do is the decent thing and order him a taxi....

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 07 Jul 2008 18:35

Platypuss Heaven forfend we push the boat out to have more than two decent central midfielders.

Is there such a word as "forfend" Platypus? Is this some kind of dark medieval language you have adopted?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 07 Jul 2008 19:14

PEARCEY
Platypuss Heaven forfend we push the boat out to have more than two decent central midfielders.

Is there such a word as "forfend" Platypus? Is this some kind of dark medieval language you have adopted?

Yep - http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoft ... 02/28.html

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 07 Jul 2008 19:19

Archie's penalty
PEARCEY

Yep - http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoft ... 02/28.html

Archie I FORFEND you from using your dictionary to support Platypuss's gothic nay satanic use of the English Language.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 07 Jul 2008 19:25

PEARCEY Archie I FORFEND you from using your dictionary to support Platypuss's gothic nay satanic use of the English Language.

Now try using that word in the local corner shop.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 07 Jul 2008 19:26

Archie's penalty
PEARCEY Archie I FORFEND you from using your dictionary to support Platypuss's gothic nay satanic use of the English Language.

Now try using that word in the local corner shop.

I cant its been forfended.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 07 Jul 2008 19:41

Don't they use that word in the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang song?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 07 Jul 2008 19:45

Sarah Star Don't they use that word in the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang song?

I have seen that film so many times and am trying to think of when the word was used. I like to tease my kids about the child-catcher so tragically the word "forfend" might have slipped past me.
I shall look out for other obscure words that Platypuss uses on here which he has probably learnt from watching Mary Poppins

335 posts