by RoyalBlue » 04 Jul 2008 16:58

Gordons Cumming Next Tuesday 2.00pm

Right midfielder.

Plus a left back!

gonesy

Re: When will our first signing be?

by gonesy » 04 Jul 2008 22:25

Agent Balti
cmonurz I have a feeling we won't sign anyone.

Even after we sell Hunt, Doyle, Harper and Kitson? Shit...I thought I was pessimistic!

I couldn't care less who we lose! The promotion team was fantastic but thats all it was - a team! There is no way any of the individuals within that team are great players (certainly not in Premier league terms) and if desperate premier teams are willing to pay out millions for them then I say bring it on! The main thing is that we've kept Sir Steve and all the infrastructure in place for another attempt at promotion. The sooner some of these wannaway players (RFC legends one and all of course) ship out, the better it will be for team spirit which, after all, is what got us promoted last time round. I for one don't think we'll be too far off come May.

As for Waitrose, that's probably an improvement on Kyocera despite our relegation and I can see some of the other big supermarket chains jumping on the football sponsorship bandwagon pretty soon just like the online betting companies did earlier this decade and the mobile phone networks did in the 90's. We should be proud our club is so forward thinking!

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Jul 2008 10:20

gonesy
As for Waitrose, that's probably an improvement on Kyocera despite our relegation and I can see some of the other big supermarket chains jumping on the football sponsorship bandwagon pretty soon just like the online betting companies did earlier this decade and the mobile phone networks did in the 90's. We should be proud our club is so forward thinking!

I doubt there was anything "forward thinking" about it. We wanted a sponsor. Waitrose offered some money. We accepted.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 06 Jul 2008 13:16

I would like to see us trying to improve the squad. We lost the winning habit last season, and I don't see why that should change now. I would like us to rebuild, and I am willing to deal with non-promotion for a season or two if that's what it takes. Realistically, I accept that we need to give the present squad a chance until Christmas, and I hope that I am proved wrong and that we are challenging then. If not, I say rebuild. I appreciate that we can't just buy new players at the moment when hardly anyone has left, but I am feeling very frustrated.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Jul 2008 09:14

In our last three summers, we have signed a player by the 12th. Cisse was on the 16th of May 2007, a few days afater the end of the season. Doyle and Long joined on the 7th of June, 2005. Seol arrived on the 12th of July 2006. I can't remember who we signed first 4 years ago, but it was probably Little, and he came early on.

Can we have a signing by the 15th please Coppell/Hammond?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jul 2008 10:42

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2031633_we_know_who_we_want

Royals’ director of football said: “Brian McDermott (Reading’s chief scout) and I have sat down with Steve and approved potential targets, but at the moment Steve is more concerned with looking at the existing squad."

...So not anytime soon then.

Coppell continues to learn well from his mistakes.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 08 Jul 2008 11:17

BMOTP
Royalee http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2031633_we_know_who_we_want

Royals’ director of football said: “Brian McDermott (Reading’s chief scout) and I have sat down with Steve and approved potential targets, but at the moment Steve is more concerned with looking at the existing squad."

Exactly, what a mug.

Also, I'm glad McDermott has approved new signings. His track record is fantastic

Fae

Stop giving people stick. Fae was a good player,with a good track record.
It was Coppell who decided not to play him.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 08 Jul 2008 11:18

Royalee http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2031633_we_know_who_we_want

How long to we hear the old, "I'm happy with the squad how it is" line?

You'd have thought we'd finsihed mid table last season the way Coppell and actually the majority of people on here go on about our existing squad.....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Jul 2008 11:20

LOLOLOL

again royalee picks on an article that says nothing but sense, picks a few quotes out of context as proof that its nonsense

thus proving that he is a nob

at no point does anyone say we are happy with the squad-hes looking at the squad in training to assess who has rthe right attitude, and who wants out
-before selling them
totally correct attitude

bunch o' gheys-the lot of ya

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jul 2008 11:31

brendywendy

LOLOLOL

again royalee picks on an article that says nothing but sense, picks a few quotes out of context as proof that its nonsense

at no point does anyone say we are happy with the squad-hes looking at the squad in training to assess who has rthe right attitude, and who wants out
-before selling them
totally correct attitude

He's had the whole of last season and this summer to assess their attitude. Surely he must know who he wants and who he doesn't if he's not a complete idiot.

Of course, nobody does business yet, which is why there are only 4 (soon to be 3) clubs in the Championship yet to sign anyone this pre-season. :lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Jul 2008 11:34

id say he would like to keep all strikers bar lita
get rid of shorey
and have a couple of targets ready to replace them when he goes

but knowing if they want to stay, and if their attitude is right would be key to me making any decisions on possible sales

if he has to sell before he buys then obviously its down to selling 1st, before we buy

dunno why i keep replying-we should have seperate boards

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jul 2008 11:35

Seeing as some twat has deleted my previous post, here is a list of every Championship club and the number of signings they have made so far this pre-season. This is taken from Sky Sports' transfer centre and also the BBC should anyone be interested.

Barnsley - 3 signings
Birmingham - 1 signing
Blackpool - 4 signings
Bristol City - 1 signing
Burnley - 3 signings
Cardiff - 1 signing
Charlton - 1 signing
Coventry - 2 signings
Crystal Palace - 3 signings
Derby - 8 signings
Doncaster - 1 signing
Ipswich - 0 signings but in for Crewe's best player in Maynard, which looks imminent.
Norwich - 2 signings
Nottingham Forest - 4 signings
Plymouth - 0 signings
Preston - 1 signing
QPR - 3 signings
Reading - 0 signings
Sheffield United - 2 signings
Sheffield Wednesday - 2 signings
Southampton - 2 signings
Swansea - 2 signings
Watford - 0 signings
Wolves - 2 signings

Clearly nobody does their business this early. :lol:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Jul 2008 11:36

Royalee He's had the whole of last season and this summer to assess their attitude. Surely he must know who he wants and who he doesn't if he's not a complete idiot.

Of course, nobody does business yet, which is why there are only 4 (soon to be 3) clubs in the Championship yet to sign anyone this pre-season. :lol:

You make yourself look more stupid by the day.

How can he assess the players attitude to the season ahead on the basis of last season or over the summer (when he hasn't seen them)?

I'm sure he knows who he wants and who he doesn't want but that isn't the issue. He needs to assess which players WANT to be here and which want to be elsewhere. He can't do that until they are back in training.

As for what other clubs are doing, I couldn't care less.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Jul 2008 11:37

LOL

ar ethese the teams in the championshiop that were in the main not good enough to go up ahead of teams such as stoke?

in which case i would say they are 3-4 signings away from being good enough for challenging the championship, let alone only getting relegated from the prem by 3 goals

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Jul 2008 11:38

BBC and Sky in incomplete information shocker.

zummerset

by zummerset » 08 Jul 2008 11:39

brendywendy id say he would like to keep all strikers bar lita
get rid of shorey
and have a couple of targets ready to replace them when he goes

but knowing if they want to stay, and if their attitude is right would be key to me making any decisions on possible sales

if he has to sell before he buys then obviously its down to selling 1st, before we buy

dunno why i keep replying-we should have seperate boards

Spot on - Lita and Shorey going no problem. I probably could lose Doyle and Hunt without to much sleep lost and build the attack around Kits and Long. Too early for this mass hysteria RoyalLee!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jul 2008 11:40

brendywendy LOL

ar ethese the teams in the championshiop that were in the main not good enough to go up ahead of teams such as stoke?

in which case i would say they are 3-4 signings away from being good enough for challenging the championship, let alone only getting relegated from the prem by 3 goals

Our current squad isn't good enough to go up, which time will tell. You are again making an assumption that just because we romped the league 3 years ago with a team 3 years younger and a completely different midfield besides Harper, that we will go back up. This of course is in line with your other posts in that it is complete and utter nonsense.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Jul 2008 11:42

Royalee
brendywendy This of course is in line with your other posts in that it is complete and utter nonsense.

So unlike your inane rambings.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Jul 2008 11:43

Wycombe Royal
Royalee
brendywendy This of course is in line with your other posts in that it is complete and utter nonsense.

So unlike your inane rambings.

yes

totally the opposite! :wink:
:oops:

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 08 Jul 2008 12:24

brendywendy

LOLOLOL

-before selling them
totally correct attitude

Our you Coppell's son in disguise? We need a new clean start and Coppell should have called it a day at the end of the season. Whats the point of having him for another year if we are not serious about attempting to get back to the Premiership at the first attempt. If all we are going to do is sell our best players and invest only a fraction of our transfer incomings in to lesser players, then we might as well have appointed a new Manager who could build his own team over the next few years. Coppell seems to be dithering again--nothing new there!

200 posts