Rumour - Ben Watson

335 posts
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Rumour - Ben Watson

by Platypuss » 07 Jul 2008 19:54

PEARCEY
Sarah Star Don't they use that word in the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang song?

I have seen that film so many times and am trying to think of when the word was used.

:lol:

Streets

by Streets » 07 Jul 2008 21:29

I can't believe we're still talking about the possibiltiy of us signing Watson.

We simply will not spend the money required.

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 07 Jul 2008 21:50

Streets I can't believe we're still talking about the possibiltiy of us signing Watson.

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

It's called a severe lack of news and a large dose of boredom...

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 08 Jul 2008 07:34

Streets I can't believe we're still talking about the possibiltiy of us signing Watson.

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Although of course it might, no indication that it won't (other than your repeated assertion and use of capital letters !!).

Streets

by Streets » 08 Jul 2008 09:33

Roger the Rabbit

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Although of course it might, no indication that it won't (other than your repeated assertion and use of capital letters !!).

We will not break the bank for anyone at this level. We will probably stretch and I mean stretch to about £1.5m tops, but more than that and you're crazy for holding out any hope.

We can't afford Ben Watson.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 08 Jul 2008 09:55

Streets
Roger the Rabbit

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

We will not break the bank for anyone at this level. We will probably stretch and I mean stretch to about £1.5m tops, but more than that and you're crazy for holding out any hope.

We can't afford Ben Watson.

I'm not sure on what basis you say that. Presumably £1.5 million is a guess rather than as a result of deep knowledge of the accounts and budgeting process ?
I don;t see any basis for being so certain we can't, let alone won't, pay a fairly middling fee for the right player.
I'm assuming you aren;t factoring in any money raised from selling players ?

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 08 Jul 2008 10:35

Platypuss
PEARCEY
Sarah Star Don't they use that word in the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang song?

I have seen that film so many times and am trying to think of when the word was used.

:lol:

I think you're referring to the lyrics in the song....

"fine four fendered friend"

....and I'm hugely embarrassed about knowing that :oops: :oops: :oops:

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 08 Jul 2008 11:38

Roger the Rabbit I'm not sure on what basis you say that. Presumably £1.5 million is a guess rather than as a result of deep knowledge of the accounts and budgeting process ?
I don;t see any basis for being so certain we can't, let alone won't, pay a fairly middling fee for the right player.

As a guesstimate I think 1.5 is a pretty good stab.

We didn't break that figure for a player when we were desperate to improve our squad to stay on the Premiership gravy train. I can't see us spending more now we're jus living within our means on parachute payments and whats left in the piggy bank.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 08 Jul 2008 11:59

Southbank Old Boy
Roger the Rabbit I'm not sure on what basis you say that. Presumably £1.5 million is a guess rather than as a result of deep knowledge of the accounts and budgeting process ?

We didn't break that figure for a player when we were desperate to improve our squad to stay on the Premiership gravy train. I can't see us spending more now we're jus living within our means on parachute payments and whats left in the piggy bank.

Except the reason we didn't break the figure was because Coppell chose not to, rather than there was some limit to what we could have spent. There was no financial restriction on what we could have done.
What's left in the piggy bank is probably what was there in January, and potentially a fair chunk more as well. If we do restrict spending to a low level it will either mean all the players touted as moving on actually stay, or Coppell has unearthed more along the lines of Doyle, Hunt and Sonko !

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jul 2008 12:24

Southbank Old Boy

£2.5m twice? Plus several bids of around £4m that didn't come off? Or are you talking about specifically in January where we spent something similar to that figure on one player, plus Kebe who I'm unsure of the amount for. Having spent ~£4m in the summer plus swapping Seol for Rosenior. We'd have spent about £1.5m more than that if our Brown had of come as well. Unless we were getting Fae anyway, in which case an extra £4m.

Given the figures bandied about for how much we should and could have spent were £10m by those of us who are fairly cautious rising to about £20m. So we actually spent something like £6m last season on players, at a rough estimate, plus an "exchange".

Not a vast amount for the premier league, but pretty fecking big for us.

But of course we do everything on the cheap and didn't spend any money did we!

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 08 Jul 2008 12:46

Roger the Rabbit Except the reason we didn't break the figure was because Coppell chose not to, rather than there was some limit to what we could have spent. There was no financial restriction on what we could have done.

Coppell is still the manager right? Or have I missed something?

I agree the funds were there but the manager didn't want to spend them. I don't think that'll have changed much. As Ian Royal points out, we spent 2.5m twice, and both times were major disapointments. I think that has made Coppell even more reluctant to spend the money available to him.

Hopefully the relegation has proven to him that he needs to bring in certain players, and it's likely that those types of players are going to cost us decent money. Only time will tell if Coppell will see fit to spalsh the cash, but I think the 1.5 is glass ceiling isn't a bad guess given Coppell's history.

Ian Royal, I'd forgotten about Halford actually, but I was meaning more our lack of spending once we knew were in the mire which, according to Coppell, we realised back in September.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 08 Jul 2008 12:50

Southbank Old Boy
Roger the Rabbit Except the reason we didn't break the figure was because Coppell chose not to, rather than there was some limit to what we could have spent. There was no financial restriction on what we could have done.

Coppell is still the manager right? Or have I missed something?.

I think you've missed the many interviews Coppell has given since !
I'd agree that we're unlikley to spend £5 or 6 million on a player, it's definitely not Coppell's style and he obviously prefers findingand making his own players rather than buying in expensive 'ready made' players.
I don; thowever think a random figure of £1.5 million rings true - apart from anything else transfer fee inflation means that £1.5 million now buys you much less than it did last time we were in the Championship !

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Jul 2008 12:55

i guess having the fans wait till we actually sign someone/sell someone before wildly speculating on how much we may spend is asking too much

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 08 Jul 2008 13:48

brendywendy i guess having the fans wait till we actually sign someone/sell someone before wildly speculating on how much we may spend is asking too much

Wild speculation is going to happen.

perhaps a better request would be "before commenting on how well we've spent the money"? or "commenting on the amount spent"?

Maybe?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 08 Jul 2008 13:50

brendywendy i guess having the fans wait till we actually sign someone/sell someone before wildly speculating on how much we may spend is asking too much

Yeah, who ever wants fans to be able to speculate on the fortunes of their football club

Next you'll want them to turn up to see how their team plays

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 08 Jul 2008 14:04

Southbank Old Boy

Yeah, who ever wants fans to be able to speculate on the fortunes of their football club

There's a difference between speculating on the fortunes of the football club and slagging them off for not spending money before they've even had the chance.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 08 Jul 2008 15:01

Bill Oddie's Beard
Southbank Old Boy

There's a difference between speculating on the fortunes of the football club and slagging them off for not spending money before they've even had the chance.

Where was anyone doing that?

Giving an opinion or speculating on something that might not be a rosey view of things isnt slagging off.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 08 Jul 2008 15:40

Your case is pretty weak if you're having to resort to using idiots like that to support your claim!

Ignoring those posters that aren't worth the time, I still don't think anyone is slagging off the club.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 08 Jul 2008 15:57

Southbank Old Boy Your case is pretty weak if you're having to resort to using idiots like that to support your claim!

Ignoring those posters that aren't worth the time, I still don't think anyone is slagging off the club.

Pretty harsh considering he was backing you up :wink: Although he did reinforce my point that there are those slagging off the club, regardless of how stupid and pointless they may be.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 08 Jul 2008 16:03

Bill Oddie's Beard
Southbank Old Boy Your case is pretty weak if you're having to resort to using idiots like that to support your claim!

Pretty harsh considering he was backing you up :wink: Although he did reinforce my point that there are those slagging off the club, regardless of how stupid and pointless they may be.

To be fair I think that was the only post getting close to the slagging off the club mark, and it was made after yours.

335 posts