Coppell Looks For Excuses Already

223 posts
Roger the Rabbit

Re: Coppell Looks For Excuses Already

by Roger the Rabbit » 10 Jul 2008 16:10

Southbank Old Boy I don't see myself as negative in any way. I see myself as having a balanced opinion on what is happening with my club and have given praise where its due in the past..

I haven;t said anything to the contrary. And of course we all see ourselves as having a balanced opinion, other than those who take a deliberately extreme stane for the sake of it.

Southbank Old Boy I could easily make the same points as yours above about the "RTG's" and their constant defence of pretty much everything that goes on being entranched in their head in the sand views. .

I'm sure you could, and I'd agree there isn;t too much to be gained from simply thinking everything is always perfect when it's not. The big difference between the people who you'd say are RTG's and those who are always negative is probably a health one.

Southbank Old Boy Without questioning and improving we'd never have got where we are as a club (I know our ramblings on here have zero effect on the real events but thats not the point). .

Well I did make the point earlier that it's down to SC, JM, NH etc to do the worryin ( in other words the questioning and improving). I'm not sure anything anyone on here has ever said will have had an improving effect on the club, especially given that 99% is based on a fairly complete ignorance of the facts ! The 1% should not be assumed to be my contribution !!!

Southbank Old Boy I guess ignorance is bliss.

Actually I've found the path to bliss is being able to put things into perspective and not waste time worrying about the things that are either unimportant or outside your control.
You take whatever route suits you though...

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 10 Jul 2008 16:28

Roger the Rabbit Well I did make the point earlier that it's down to SC, JM, NH etc to do the worryin ( in other words the questioning and improving). I'm not sure anything anyone on here has ever said will have had an improving effect on the club, especially given that 99% is based on a fairly complete ignorance of the facts ! The 1% should not be assumed to be my contribution !!!

Southbank Old Boy I guess ignorance is bliss.

Actually I've found the path to bliss is being able to put things into perspective and not waste time worrying about the things that are either unimportant or outside your control.
You take whatever route suits you though...

Can I ask why you're here then?

Seems odd to spend so much time debating things that you're not fussed about and have given up caring about.

And personally, I find having interests that stir some passion and opinion in me makes my life more interesting than just letting it all wash over me and taking it as it comes without giving it any thought.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 10 Jul 2008 16:31

Is it just me, or is it getting a little, bit, tense?... :shock:

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 10 Jul 2008 16:34

Bill Oddie's Beard Is it just me, or is it getting a little, bit, tense?... :shock:

Not in my little world 8)

zummerset

by zummerset » 10 Jul 2008 16:35

i think they may actually be married and after a long period constant bickering and rows have finally resorted to communication only via internet message boards :wink:

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 10 Jul 2008 16:38

zummerset i think they may actually be married and after a long period constant bickering and rows have finally resorted to communication only via internet message boards :wink:

I think the Mr and Mrs HNA role has already been taken hasn't it? :lol:

zummerset

by zummerset » 10 Jul 2008 16:40

Indeed - well spotted SOB

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 10 Jul 2008 16:43

zummerset i think they may actually be married and after a long period constant bickering and rows have finally resorted to communication only via internet message boards :wink:

Ha !!
What a thought !!!

It's weird that SBB seems unable to believe that others can approach the game differently to him - if only he could become a little more open minded and not expect everyone to be like him.

zummerset

by zummerset » 10 Jul 2008 16:59

Don't drag me into your twisted bickering :)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jul 2008 17:09

PEARCEY
Roger the Rabbit
Southbank Old Boy If it's not broke don't fix it

If it's broke???? Still don't fix it?.

Is there just the one way of fixing a broken thing ?

The discussion is around whether one specific fix would have worked, not whether any fix was required...

Southbank Old Boy Signing players wouldn't have guaranteed an improvement in our futunes or survival but then I don't think even Royalee is claiming that it would..

Is it a huge leap to go from what Royalee said 'we went down becasue we didn't sign anyone' to suggesting that we would have stayed up if we had signed someone (the right person(s) ) ? If people didn;t think that a couple of signings would have kept us up then it doesn;t make sense to claim that we went down because we didn't make those signings (that's becoming a bit of a twister !!).

Southbank Old Boy What he has said is that not addressing our weaknesses by bringing in new personel is why we went done. Considering we had no other viable alternatives to the players that had already got us into the position we were in I think he's right.

Except we did, people pointed out ages ago that we made little use of Bikey, we didn't use Lita for whatever reason, we didn't give Henry a go, we didn't use DLC, we kept playing Doyle when he was out of form and out of position. Buying MIGHT have sorted things, but I still maintain that it was not, as clearly stated by Royalee, the reason we went down.

Roger The Rabbit=Behindu......You write in a very similar vein to Behindu who mysteriously disappeared into the ether a few months ago...and has now reappeared as Roger the Rabbit.

You too have spotted the similarity.

However, given our suspicions that Behindu (itself perhaps a warning) has now reappeared with a new user name that smacks of bestiality, perhaps his absence can be explained by a period of board and lodging at Her Majesty's Pleasure! :wink:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jul 2008 21:55

He has done the same thing for as long as I've been on here. A few months very active, then a few months off. Then up he pops with a new user name and becomes very active again for a few months.

Always interesting and good to have around though.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 10 Jul 2008 22:00

Roger's fun and informative and I hope he sticks around. I don't know this 'Behindu', but he reminds me of someone on another messageboard though that person probably wouldn't be seen dead here...

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Jul 2008 22:50

Royal Rother He has done the same thing for as long as I've been on here. A few months very active, then a few months off. Then up he pops with a new user name and becomes very active again for a few months.

Agreed but you do have to wonder..........why? :|

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Jul 2008 08:35

Alan Partridge
Royal Rother He has done the same thing for as long as I've been on here. A few months very active, then a few months off. Then up he pops with a new user name and becomes very active again for a few months.

Agreed but you do have to wonder..........why? :|

There can't be any doubt that Roger is Behindu, so to speak. If you look at just a few of each's posts the style and typos are indentical, so good spot Pearcey.

I can only imagine the reason he ditches usernames is embarrassment. My over-riding memory of Behindu was a discussion we had in pre-season about our three forwards and Behindu thinking they were ALL going to get to double figures last season.

Please, please, please can we not make the same mistakes this season as we did last. Lets get some proven quality AND some potential in to rebuild this squad and kick on again so as not to waste the last few years of amazing growth.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Jul 2008 08:55

He has said before that he finds it takes up too much of his time therefore takes a break and sticks to it.

Embarrassment? :lol: If people who made wrong predictions disappeared for a stretch due to embarrassment there'd be no-one left on here. (Apart from Platypuss and papereyes of course. :wink: )

So, how many am I missing? Leo Sayer, Santa Claus (or was it Father Xmas?) Matt Robinson's Barber, Behindu.... ooh there's loads more. Spacey will remember

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 11 Jul 2008 09:20

Hoop Blah

I suspect you need to differentiate between people suggesting possibilities ahead of time and people being wise after the event !!
Two of our forwards have indeed got 10 or more in a Premiership season and the third (I would suggest) is probably the best out and out goalscorer of the the three and came out of last summer on the back of a successful and fairly high profile international tournament.
I don't think the idea that the three of them might have managed to hit 10 goals each is so off the wall, except in hindsight which obviously has the benefit of knowing that Doyle would not perform to the standard he had the season before and Lita would struggle to get on the pitch for what seemed to be non footballing reasons.

Well done for holding on to the memory for 12 months though !

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Jul 2008 09:41

Roger the Rabbit Hoop Blah

I suspect you need to differentiate between people suggesting possibilities ahead of time and people being wise after the event !!
Two of our forwards have indeed got 10 or more in a Premiership season and the third (I would suggest) is probably the best out and out goalscorer of the the three and came out of last summer on the back of a successful and fairly high profile international tournament.
I don't think the idea that the three of them might have managed to hit 10 goals each is so off the wall, except in hindsight which obviously has the benefit of knowing that Doyle would not perform to the standard he had the season before and Lita would struggle to get on the pitch for what seemed to be non footballing reasons.

Well done for holding on to the memory for 12 months though !

I don't want to get into it again, but I guess I will....12 months ago I didn't have hindsight.

I think the point I was making was it was extremely unlikely that Reading would get three players into double figures considering that no other Premier League side had done it in the previous how many years. You couldn't accept that and maintained that it was quite likely.

Of course each of the three had the potential to score 10 or more league goals. For all three to acheive that in the same season was neigh on impossible because there was no way they'd all play enough games to get that many goals.

It stuck in my mind because you were so adament that it was more than likely and we had quite a long 'discussion' about it.

Edit: PS - I told you so...nah nah!!!

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 11 Jul 2008 09:48

Hoop Blah
Edit: PS - I told you so...nah nah!!!

And well done for it !

A good debate is surely one in which two people each have a fairly reasonable position to argue, I can understand your point which was based on stats, I'm not at all sure whether you recognise that mine was just as reasonable based on the abilities of the players involved. 76 games should be more than enough for 3 players to each play enough games to get 10 goals each shouldn't it ? Especially when someone like Lita would expect to get a decent number of goals even if used as a sub for the last 30 mins in a large % of games.

Anyway, as I said, well done for hanging on to the memory for 12 months.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Jul 2008 09:58

Roger the Rabbit A good debate is surely one in which two people each have a fairly reasonable position to argue,

Indeed.

Roger the Rabbit I can understand your point which was based on stats, I'm not at all sure whether you recognise that mine was just as reasonable based on the abilities of the players involved.

It was based on historical evidence of now other collection of forwards more talented than ours being able to acheive it in sides that were likely to be more creative than we were ever going to be.

Roger the Rabbit 76 games should be more than enough for 3 players to each play enough games to get 10 goals each shouldn't it ? Especially when someone like Lita would expect to get a decent number of goals even if used as a sub for the last 30 mins in a large % of games.

Not many players score 10 or more Premier League goals in a season. That was the point. To expect our three forward to all score at between a rate of a goal every 2.5 or 3 games is unrealistic at that level yes.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 11 Jul 2008 10:03

I can't believe you're still at it now!

Why can't the season start sooner?

223 posts