RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

944 posts
cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

by cmonurz » 24 Jul 2008 12:34

So four or five seasons in our midfield in the lower leagues, and two seasons pretty much ever present in the Premier League. And your opinion is that he has 'no skill whatsoever' and has 'never' been any good.

Some fans have no idea whatsoever.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 24 Jul 2008 13:43

Might be a dodd but.

Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate will make a £5m swoop for Reading's James Harper this weekend after selling Lee Cattermole to Wigan. (Various)

I honestly think Harper is the runner of the team, the last ounce of pulse, the cog if you will. We played with a Sidwell shaped hole all year and as a lot of people have mentioned struggled in the centre of midfield. Another player we're going to miss if this rumour goes through.

Next it'll be Shorey. :)

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 24 Jul 2008 14:00

papereyes
andrew1957 In the end JM's policy of financial prudence may well have the last laugh when the likes of West Ham do a Leeds and end up with a Luton like 30 point deduction for going bust.

LOL

For every club that has done a Leeds, another has acquired a rich owner and pushed on another level.

How is that relevant?

If they have succeeded through having a rich owner being happy to lose his own money then it's a different situation. Clubs who pile up debt get caught out in the long run. Or are we just suggesting the way the club should be run is for JM to spend millions of his own cash?

It's easy to spend other people's money. If the club announced season ticket prices would double, but guaranteed the extra money would be spent on players, how many would go for it?

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 24 Jul 2008 14:00

Colchester Royal i see the quoting system isn't your strength, my friend.

To your questions:
I was he, who wrote N. Hunt to score 15 goals. He will score 15. Wenger got rid of him because he saw him as a pants player. You have understand me on this, since when was harper any good? For me, NEVER. No, he did it himself. He was 'attempting' to do what the coaching staff and manager said. To me he's useless, not a skillful player, no eye for a forward pass. Always lacked strength. Yes, he played every game, except maybe one, because we had no one else any better than him. Who was on the bench as his replacement? No one. No, your wrong there my friend, Hunt played better than Harper for me, every game. He put in effort a-plenty, whereas Harper looked out of his depth and some how couldn't cope with holding the midfield. Hence the reason the defenders were doing twice the amount of work per game.
Good post, but i've covered all your questions. :D

Jesus wept :roll:

Guess which Nobber's never played football to a level above that of under 12's standard. Not. A. Clue :lol:

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 24 Jul 2008 14:03

Platypuss
Streets Both Stoke and Hull have shown more bollocks and ambition than we did in 2 years in the transfer market. I hope they both stay up and reap the benefits.

having £20 million more to spend than we did might help.

Not til the end of the season, or so we are so frequently told.

what difference does being paid it at the end of the season make? It's guaranteed income. You can spend it just as easily as you can spend your wages at the start of the month knowing you'll be paid at the end of it.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 24 Jul 2008 14:06

Colchester Royal i see the quoting system isn't your strength, my friend.

To your questions:
I was he, who wrote N. Hunt to score 15 goals. He will score 15. Wenger got rid of him because he saw him as a pants player. You have understand me on this, since when was harper any good? For me, NEVER. No, he did it himself. He was 'attempting' to do what the coaching staff and manager said. To me he's useless, not a skillful player, no eye for a forward pass. Always lacked strength. Yes, he played every game, except maybe one, because we had no one else any better than him. Who was on the bench as his replacement? No one. No, your wrong there my friend, Hunt played better than Harper for me, every game. He put in effort a-plenty, whereas Harper looked out of his depth and some how couldn't cope with holding the midfield. Hence the reason the defenders were doing twice the amount of work per game.
Good post, but i've covered all your questions. :D

Christ.

Lol tbh. :?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Jul 2008 14:15

Platypuss
Rev Algenon Stickleback H having £20 million more to spend than we did might help.

Not til the end of the season, or so we are so frequently told.

what difference does being paid it at the end of the season make? It's guaranteed income. You can spend it just as easily as you can spend your wages at the start of the month knowing you'll be paid at the end of it.

Well quite. However it's an argument frequently advanced by others who seek to defend our lack of effective spending last year.

Streets

by Streets » 24 Jul 2008 14:37

If we get £5m then fair enough. Otherwise, just say no kids.

Tennents Super
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Kicking and a gouging in the mud, and the blood and the beer.

by Tennents Super » 24 Jul 2008 14:40

Rev Algenon Stickleback H It's easy to spend other people's money. If the club announced season ticket prices would double, but guaranteed the extra money would be spent on players, how many would go for it?

About 18,000 wasn't it?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 24 Jul 2008 15:05

papereyes
andrew1957 In the end JM's policy of financial prudence may well have the last laugh when the likes of West Ham do a Leeds and end up with a Luton like 30 point deduction for going bust.

LOL

For every club that has done a Leeds, another has acquired a rich owner and pushed on another level.

How is that relevant?

It's as relevant as the first point which really needed someone pointing out that it wasn't the whole picture?

The post needed some balance to it. So it got some.

Cookie

Cattermole exit clears way for Middlesbrough to sign Harper

by Cookie » 24 Jul 2008 21:29

Lee Cattermole's exit clears way for Middlesbrough to sign James Harper
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/07/24/lee-cattermole-s-exit-clears-way-for-middlesbrough-to-sign-james-harper-115875-20668980/
Gareth Southgate will make a £5million swoop for Reading's James Harper this weekend after selling Lee Cattermole to Wigan.
The Boro boss agreed a £3.5m fee for youngster Cattermole last night and will use the cash to prise Harper from Reading.

ALSO
http://www.reading.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=116810
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3860307,00.html
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/3544330.Arca_hoping_Harper_is_heading_for_Boro/

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Cattermole exit clears way for Middlesbrough to sign Harper

by SteveRoyal » 24 Jul 2008 21:41

I said this on the other thread you were just on.
Refunded season ticket, was it? :lol:

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 24 Jul 2008 21:41

If that deal goes through, then using the qoutes that came from the club that we will have to sell players to give the manager funds for new ones, I make it that it will give Coppell £9.85m to spend.......................sounds good !!

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 24 Jul 2008 21:44

howser If that deal goes through, then using the qoutes that came from the club that we will have to sell players to give the manager funds for new ones, I make it that it will give Coppell £9.85m to spend.......................sounds good !!

Yes but in reality it means nothing. We won't spend that this year

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 24 Jul 2008 22:01

Geekins
howser If that deal goes through, then using the qoutes that came from the club that we will have to sell players to give the manager funds for new ones, I make it that it will give Coppell £9.85m to spend.......................sounds good !!

Yes but in reality it means nothing. We won't spend that this year

We'll spend about 10% of what we got for both. :o

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 24 Jul 2008 22:09

600k already gone! :lol:

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 24 Jul 2008 22:15

Streets If we get £5m then fair enough. Otherwise, just say no kids.

so around 3 million after sell on clause?

no thanks we have money now, but hes on the list i guess :|

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 24 Jul 2008 22:23

Good - means we have more money to spend and I have more chance of winning a wager with my mate that Boro'll go down next season.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 24 Jul 2008 22:23

Oh well - will be sad to see Harps go - even more than Kits to be honest.

Would prefer it happens now though rather than a week into the season.

If we get in Watson then I wouldn't be so annoyed.

Someone said on here that the speed we moved for Hunt after Kitson's departure suggests we had a replacement lined up in advance.

Hope that's right in this case too.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 24 Jul 2008 22:27

Get rid.. He's not that good really.. If only someone would buy S. Hunt as well..

944 posts