Hunty at Left Back

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Hunty at Left Back

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 04 Aug 2008 19:46

floyd__streete
Woodcote Royal Shorey should have played his last game for this club months ago.

The fans deserve better than a left back who wanted to leave a year ago, especially with most of the Kitson transfer proceeds still languishing in the bank waiting to be invested in the team.

It beggars belief that some fans think we couldn't find a better left back without breaking the bank than "Couldn't give a sh*t" Shorey...................Watford have just got one on the cheap, I believe.

This goes right to the heart of why some of us remain unconvinced that Coppell should still be here.

Have to say that I totally agree with you.

You have to admire his hatred of anyone who wants to leave us.

Woodcote's right, Shorey isn't irreplaceable.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 04 Aug 2008 20:16

Hunty would IMO be better playing with himself than playing LB.

ffs please let us start this season with a proper LB.

Cookie

by Cookie » 04 Aug 2008 20:45

Big Ern
Cookie I can think of an affordable replacement.

Everton boss David Moyes wants to get rid of left-back Leighton Baines just a year after signing him for £6m.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's post like this that makes me wonder what planet some Reading FC fans live on.

2 chances of that happening...Slim and None...and Slims just left town.

We won't pay the transfer fee
We could not pay his wages
Bigger, better clubs with more ambition will be in for him.
He would not want to come here.

So Ern, you're not with me on this one?
He's a scouser, from the same area of Liverpool as Coppell. The'd have a lot in common. ;)

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 04 Aug 2008 21:25

im sure i remeber bc playing left back in a game for reading once he got switch off the wing there after an injury to some one and we didnt have another defender on the bench or some thing

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 04 Aug 2008 23:01

biscuitsrus Hunty would IMO be better playing with himself than playing LB.

:lol:

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 04 Aug 2008 23:42

jonboy29red im sure i remeber bc playing left back in a game for reading once he got switch off the wing there after an injury to some one and we didnt have another defender on the bench or some thing

He played a good game against Sheff Utd once. I wouldn't want him there all season, but I fell we can rely on him for a game or two.

Bath Hoops

by Bath Hoops » 05 Aug 2008 07:52

I don't think Hunty will be suited to the role and its madness that we're even in this situation. Reading have known for long enough that Shorey wanted to go and to use the excuse that we would have paid for someone we didnt need if Shorey stayed is daft. What happens if he stays and gets injured in the first game, we'd still be left in the same position we are now. We should have brought someone with the money we got from Kitson, problem is we have a small club mentality and that isn't going to change. Playing people out of position isn't a sensible thing to do and certainly not wise in defence, Hunt will do his best as always but he will get skinned and then we'll be into a blame culture with the transfer window closed and no left back. Utter madness I just hope they have done their homework and get someone in now, its not too late and if we pay a preminum then its now more than we deserve given the cock we've got ourselves into.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 05 Aug 2008 08:50

Bath Hoops I don't think Hunty will be suited to the role and its madness that we're even in this situation. Reading have known for long enough that Shorey wanted to go and to use the excuse that we would have paid for someone we didnt need if Shorey stayed is daft. What happens if he stays and gets injured in the first game, we'd still be left in the same position we are now. We should have brought someone with the money we got from Kitson, problem is we have a small club mentality and that isn't going to change. Playing people out of position isn't a sensible thing to do and certainly not wise in defence, Hunt will do his best as always but he will get skinned and then we'll be into a blame culture with the transfer window closed and no left back. Utter madness I just hope they have done their homework and get someone in now, its not too late and if we pay a preminum then its now more than we deserve given the cock we've got ourselves into.

In addition, Shorey's performances in the 2nd half of the season should have had us looking for a replacement anyway.

His attitude - which clearly reflected negatively in his performances (as opposed to Siders) should see him playing against Lewes reserves even if no-one comes in for him. Get someone fresh in who actually WANTS to play for us.

retro royal

by retro royal » 05 Aug 2008 09:03

Inga's going to play left back

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 05 Aug 2008 09:12

Ian Royal Releasing DLC was the real mistake IMO. We could easily have kept him on longer as cover and then let him go in January for a free.

I don't think DLC would've accepted a six month contract at his age :?

Keeping DLC on would be almost the same as getting the replacement in first.

double d

by double d » 05 Aug 2008 10:15

i saw hunt in morrisons yesterday. he doesn't want to play LB

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 05 Aug 2008 10:19

double d i saw hunt in morrisons yesterday. he doesn't want to play LB

He doesn't seem that bothered according to the EP http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... tkick_duty

“It’s a position I’ll have to adapt to if need be, but we’ll wait and see.

“It’s obviously not my natural position, but I can do a job there if need be. We’ll wait and see.

“I have to work on my positional play, but no-one can beat me for pace.

“It’s where to go and what to do, but I have played there for Reading in the Championship before so it’s all right.

“You get stronger as pre-season goes by. Left-back isn’t as strenuous as left wing. I feel I could have played another game.

“I know he (Shorey) was left out at Villa. If he goes then all the best to him and if he doesn’t then we have a very good player at left back.”

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Aug 2008 10:24

I would rather have Hunt at left back than DLC, and I don't think DLC would have stayed anyway. He wants regular first team football and he hasn't had that for the past 2 seasons.

I would rather have a left footed midfielder at left back than a right footed defender.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 05 Aug 2008 10:27

Wycombe Royal I would rather have Hunt at left back than DLC, and I don't think DLC would have stayed anyway. He wants regular first team football and he hasn't had that for the past 2 seasons.

I would rather have a left footed midfielder at left back than a right footed defender.

Surely WR, I know you support most things the club does but in true McEnroe style 'you cannot be serious?!!' DLC played left back on quite a few occasions and fitted in there pretty seemlessly similar to Makin. I can't believe anyone would seriously want Hunt at LB over DLC!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Aug 2008 10:30

Alan Partridge
Wycombe Royal I would rather have Hunt at left back than DLC, and I don't think DLC would have stayed anyway. He wants regular first team football and he hasn't had that for the past 2 seasons.

Surely WR, I know you support most things the club does but in true McEnroe style 'you cannot be serious?!!' DLC played left back on quite a few occasions and fitted in there pretty seemlessly similar to Makin. I can't believe anyone would seriously want Hunt at LB over DLC!

I never really rated DLC. He scored a great, but quite fortunate, goal against Sheffield United, but defensively he was never convincing. And I don't think a right footer is the answer to a left sided position. It leaves the team unbalanced. It's OK for the odd match but no more than that.

DLC was never going to stay to play the odd match.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 05 Aug 2008 10:37

Wycombe Royal
Alan Partridge

I never really rated DLC. He scored a great, but quite fortunate, goal against Sheffield United, but defensively he was never convincing. And I don't think a right footer is the answer to a left sided position. It leaves the team unbalanced. It's OK for the odd match but no more than that.

I agree with you WR. I always thought DLC was better at going forward than defending. I'd rather have a left footer who can't defend playing at left back, than a right footer who can't defend.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 05 Aug 2008 10:51

Wycombe Royal
Alan Partridge

I'd go along with that. I think DLC did ok when he played, nothing special, just ok, but he benefitted from others not having the best of times whilst he was sat in the stands. I think that did his reputation no end of good as his ok games were seen as better than those bad moments from from the likes of Murty.

It's a bit sad when we're getting to the point of debating who's better to play left back, an illdisciplined left winger who's best attribute is running around and getting in peoples faces (not very helpful when you have to stay in position as a defender) or a very aging right back who we didn't use last season despite having just about the worst defensive record in the league.

We must buy in a good left back and not resort to playing people out of position to make do.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Aug 2008 11:00

Southbank Old Boy We must buy in a good left back and not resort to playing people out of position to make do.

I don't think that is under question, but there will be a short period of time between Shorey going and a replacement coming in which is not too much of an issue, and is far less of an issue than bringing in a replacement and then Shorey staying.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 05 Aug 2008 11:09

Wycombe Royal
Southbank Old Boy We must buy in a good left back and not resort to playing people out of position to make do.

I don't think that is under question, but there will be a short period of time between Shorey going and a replacement coming in which is not too much of an issue, and is far less of an issue than bringing in a replacement and then Shorey staying.

We can, and should have done a while ago, made sure he was going though. It is 100% clear that he doesn't want to be here.

We should've got rid already. I understand the concerns of letting him go cheaply setting a precedent etc but all disruption and lack of ingeration and preparation of his replacement is a bigger worry in my eyes.

There is no way we would be lumbered with Shorey staying if we didnt want him to and so we should've acted a lot sooner.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Aug 2008 11:14

Southbank Old Boy
Wycombe Royal

We can, and should have done a while ago, made sure he was going though. It is 100% clear that he doesn't want to be here.

We should've got rid already. I understand the concerns of letting him go cheaply setting a precedent etc but all disruption and lack of ingeration and preparation of his replacement is a bigger worry in my eyes.

There is no way we would be lumbered with Shorey staying if we didnt want him to and so we should've acted a lot sooner.

How do you make sure a player is leaving? Do you find a way of blackmailing Roy Keane into making a bid that matches our valuation or hold his family at gunpoint? Just curious.

We were never going to bring in someone to replace Shorey if he was still at the club. I believe we will make a significant investment in a new left back and the club are not going to do that until the left back slot is free. That is just a common sense approach.